“Perfect for a family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   3 Soi Karon, Soi 2 | Karon Beach, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Family Fun Package
Ranked #13 of 73 hotels in Karon
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
“Perfect for a family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We're just back from eight days with our 9 and 12 year old and this hotel was great for us. Not too far away from the 'excitement' of Patong but very quiet and relaxed with easy access to the Karon/Kata shops, restaurants, and beach and up in the hilly jungle with a bit of a sea view.
Breakfasts were part of our accomodation deal and these were really nice, with plenty of variety, including the Thai food I love, and we didn't tire of them until the last day or so. The pool, it's surrounds, and the swim up bar were just perfect for chilling and playing although the lower level pool was a uniform 1.5 metres deep - just a little deep for our 9 year old (but his swimming improved as a result).
The internet access we purchased for the week was pretty bad - at times we only had a signal fro the pool area and most of the time it didn't work in the room, but on the positive side, we stayed off our devices for a change.
They were doing a lot of garden maintenance while we were there and the gardens and ponds were really gorgeous. My daughter loved the frogs, water monitors, giant snails, geckoes, water birds everywhere. We were on the first floor but the frog croaks in the evening that others reported didn't bother us at all.
And yes the beds were hard but we slept really well most nights anyway because we were out doing tours and shopping trips most days and were too tired to care.
The centralised control panel for the room was great until one night when the hotel suffered several power cuts and each time that happened all the lights switched on! Also if you want to charge devices you soon realise that the power points are connected to the lights (i.e. if you wanted to keep a particular power point on, you also had to turn on the related light) so you couldn't charge things overnight, and you couldn't keep things charging when you left your room either because you had to take your single key card so everything went off! Very inconvenient.
The rooms were spacious and clean, and when we reported a sticky patio door they fixed it within hours. The only downside of the room for me was the bath/shower combo which was fairly badly designed. The bathroom surrounds and floor got really wet no matter what you did and it was quite treacherous and awkward getting in an out of it with a wet floor (I'm average height). A bar to grab onto would have made it much safer.
If we come back to Phuket this would definitely be the one we come back to.

Room Tip: Can recommend the first floor for peace and privacy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in a pool access privilege wing room and was quite impressed. The room was spacious, clean and everything worked well. The wifi was a bit temperamental bit still worked. The beds were very firm, but we both were used to that so it was comfortable.
You can't see the beach from the resort well at all so don't expect seaviews, in fact, dont expect any great views, it isnt what the resort is about. our room was great in that we could see the beautiful blue of the pool. thats all we needed. we were happy to go out to see the views.

The vip pool was beautiful. It was quiet (no kids allowed) and the swim up bar made it so easy to relax with a drink and some music. It was also nice to have our own sun beds and umbrella outside our room.
The buffet breakfast was fabulous! Great selection, and it changed slightly everyday. the breakfast in the privilege lounge was average, but the snacks and drinks from 12-2pm were quite nice! Was some hot food and some cold food available and again, changed everyday.

The staff were lovely and very welcoming. They even had a cake for me on my birthday!

The resort is located on a hill so it can be a bit challenging going up and down stairs and hills but you get used to it. I did pick a bottom level room to avoid stairs but unfortunately the way the resort is, reception and the restaurants are all upstairs.
They do provide a free tuk tuk up and down the big hill until 9pm which is very handy and takes you right to the beach, the shops and restaurants.
The free shuttle to patong didn't run often at all and was only in the afternoon. It was a bit of a pain and rarely suited our times to get it there and back.

There are so many nice restaurants (mainly to the right, in a cluster) that i wouldn’t bother eating dinner at the resort. Nice to get out and about!

I did try the spa, which was nice, but better value on the street for a massage. We went back to 'Welcome Massage' a few times cas they were lovely and did a good job.

Overall a pleasant stay. Didnt seem to get scammed or have rude encounters people have put in reviews.
I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: privilige wing for adults. pool access is great for the pool. pool view is good to avoid stairs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Horizon for our first visit to Thailand (my partner is 19 and I am 22 years old). We were greeted by very friendly staff and were given cold towels and a welcome drink. I was very pleased with this hotel and would definitely stay here again. We stayed in the Privilege Wing, there were 2 things I was not happy with, 1 was how hard the beds were! very hard, we did get used to it after 2 nights. The other thing was the food, We had breakfast every morning and ordered room service and I was not impressed at all! Definitely suggest you go out for dinner (go to Two Chefs just up the road, Fantastic!!) The pools were great! We actually spent our time in the main pools, not the pool at the Privilege Wing, we enjoyed the other one better. The resort was a little tired and could use a little work but we were so pleased and had an amazing time! The hill up and down was a little draining especially in the heat but luckily they have a tuk tuk service! Overall we had a great time and cannot wait to return to Phuket :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We resently returned from Thailand which included a fabulous 6 days stay at the Horizon Karon. On arrival we were greeted with a warm smile, cool towel and a welcome drink. Check-in was fast and easy(rememeber to have your credit card or 2 thousand baht as a security deposit). Our stay was in the Privilege Wing and we must admit was happy to be in the adults only section. Our room was very spacious and well appointed, with a great bathroom, balcony with deck chairs and close to the Privilege lounge. Daily breakfast we were spoilt for choice and a must to try is the Thai pancakes - OH YUMMY. Each night was a different theme buffet dinner and again you are spoilt for choice. If you enjoy a Pina Colada or two ordering one from the Horizon is a must :) Drinks and light snacks are provided in the Privilege lounge between 12-2, different variety each day. The pool was not massive, but was great to just have a dip to cool off from the hot Phuket weather or after a day of shopping. The use of free wifi is great to keep in contact with family back home or to brag about the great time you're having. The free shuttle service to Patong is BRILLIANT, used it everyday to and from. Before concluding we have to let you know that the staff at the Horizon Karon are the friendliest hotel staff we have ever encountered. They were always smiling and willing to make your stay the best they possibily can. Will we go back - YES WE WILL, do we recommend - YES WE DO. Once again we had a BLAST.

Room Tip: Privilege Wing a must if your're over 18. Beds we have to say are a bit hard. And beware of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying here for 6 nights and we were on our honeymoon. I originally booked through Agoda and didn't realise that the resort is in fact sectioned into two.....basically one for families and one for persons that want a more quiet relaxed stay. The first night we were in the family area, which was my fault because I booked it. On arrival at the resort we enquired about moving to the "Privilege Wing" so we could have a quieter stay and this was no problem. We upgraded and spent the remaining 5 nights down in the "Privilege Wing' and we just loved it. The room was awesome, on the 2nd floor with a lovely view of the pool, spacious bathroom, flat screen tv, comfortable sofa and our own balcony with deck chairs and umbrella. Being in this wing, we were privy to free drinks/coffees/snacks between 12-2 every day, free wi-fi and use of our own private lounge area away from the rest of the resort. Here you were served all the freebies between 12-2, borrow DVD's, watch tv or use the computers. I purchased the buffet dinner meals every night and I can thoroughly recommend you do this if you stay here. The food is absolutely amazing and fresh and displayed beautifully. A theme night every night, so Meditteranean, Thai, Japanese, etc and the food is just amazing. The staff were so helpful, talkative and friendly will all issues, and nothing was a problem. The hotel is in a great position, at the end of Karon and a short walk to the middle of Kata Beach. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to the beach and a free shuttle into Patong every day. Everything is catered for. We will definately stay here again next time we come to Karon.

Room Tip: Purchase the buffet dinners, you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Eight days in this wonderful resort was just not enough. Impossible to fault it in any way. Great gym, fantastic breakfast, relaxing pool with bar. The beach although not up to Australian standards was fabulous.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Terrigal, australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have just come back from an 8 night stay and can recommend this hotel. Firstly, it is so much better than the Patong Horizon Karon Hotel (which my daughter and I had a look at when we went to Patong for the day) and there is a free shuttle into Patong daily so there is no need to worry about missing out on the "hustle and bustle" of Patong. I enjoyed the fact that Karon Beach was a quieter town. We had a pool room which was lovely and roomy, very clean, with a modern bathroom. The pools are lovely and a great place to relax and order poolside lunch and drinks. We had a package where we had all breakfasts and all dinners included. We ate breakfast every morning as it was so good, but the dinners were themed nights and on the nights they had a theme we didn't like we just walked down the road and had dinner there. The food is good and the staff, again, are extremely friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend a trip to the spa in the hotel, there really is a big difference in the service you get, compared to the massage places down the street. You do get what you pay for and it was definitely worth paying the extra. I had a foot massage and a facial (2 hours) and it cost around $55 AUD.
The hotel is up a hill and I was wary about this hill as I had read all the previous reviews on trip advisor about this hill. It was fine, My husband, daughter and I walked down the hill everyday to go to the beach or shops and I think the only time we caught the free tuk tuk back up was when my daughter was sick. I am not a thin woman and I managed it. If you really don't like walking up the hill, there is a shuttle that will come and pick you up so the position of the hotel really is not a problem.
There was only one thing, I kept getting bitten and I originally thought they were mosiquito bites, but on my return to Australia I was informed by a friend that they were in fact, bed bugs. That did put me off - I was very surprised because I thought the standard of rooms was excellent. My daughter was in a different room and she didn't have any problems. Maybe it wasn't bed bugs, but I certainly got up every morning with red bites. The mattresses are very hard, but I actually got used to them after the first couple of nights. Also, there are a lot of stairs in the hotel, with no lift - if you don't want to walk all the stairs then you need to ask to be on the lower level, which would be fine. We were on the third floor and by the time we walked up the hill, then up the steps to the pool area then up the three flights of stairs to our room, we were pretty puffed out. That was the only downside - although it was good to walk off the food and drink we were consuming at a great rate. The beach down the road is lovely and very clean. All in all we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for your room on a lower level, save your legs on the stairs (that is if you don't feel like...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!