“FABULOUS PLACE WITH FABULOUS FRIENDLY STAFF” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa

You added Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   3 Soi Karon, Soi 2 | Karon Beach, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Free Daily Buffet Dinner
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“FABULOUS PLACE WITH FABULOUS FRIENDLY STAFF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying here for 6 nights and we were on our honeymoon. I originally booked through Agoda and didn't realise that the resort is in fact sectioned into two.....basically one for families and one for persons that want a more quiet relaxed stay. The first night we were in the family area, which was my fault because I booked it. On arrival at the resort we enquired about moving to the "Privilege Wing" so we could have a quieter stay and this was no problem. We upgraded and spent the remaining 5 nights down in the "Privilege Wing' and we just loved it. The room was awesome, on the 2nd floor with a lovely view of the pool, spacious bathroom, flat screen tv, comfortable sofa and our own balcony with deck chairs and umbrella. Being in this wing, we were privy to free drinks/coffees/snacks between 12-2 every day, free wi-fi and use of our own private lounge area away from the rest of the resort. Here you were served all the freebies between 12-2, borrow DVD's, watch tv or use the computers. I purchased the buffet dinner meals every night and I can thoroughly recommend you do this if you stay here. The food is absolutely amazing and fresh and displayed beautifully. A theme night every night, so Meditteranean, Thai, Japanese, etc and the food is just amazing. The staff were so helpful, talkative and friendly will all issues, and nothing was a problem. The hotel is in a great position, at the end of Karon and a short walk to the middle of Kata Beach. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to the beach and a free shuttle into Patong every day. Everything is catered for. We will definately stay here again next time we come to Karon.

Room Tip: Purchase the buffet dinners, you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Eight days in this wonderful resort was just not enough. Impossible to fault it in any way. Great gym, fantastic breakfast, relaxing pool with bar. The beach although not up to Australian standards was fabulous.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Terrigal, australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have just come back from an 8 night stay and can recommend this hotel. Firstly, it is so much better than the Patong Horizon Karon Hotel (which my daughter and I had a look at when we went to Patong for the day) and there is a free shuttle into Patong daily so there is no need to worry about missing out on the "hustle and bustle" of Patong. I enjoyed the fact that Karon Beach was a quieter town. We had a pool room which was lovely and roomy, very clean, with a modern bathroom. The pools are lovely and a great place to relax and order poolside lunch and drinks. We had a package where we had all breakfasts and all dinners included. We ate breakfast every morning as it was so good, but the dinners were themed nights and on the nights they had a theme we didn't like we just walked down the road and had dinner there. The food is good and the staff, again, are extremely friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend a trip to the spa in the hotel, there really is a big difference in the service you get, compared to the massage places down the street. You do get what you pay for and it was definitely worth paying the extra. I had a foot massage and a facial (2 hours) and it cost around $55 AUD.
The hotel is up a hill and I was wary about this hill as I had read all the previous reviews on trip advisor about this hill. It was fine, My husband, daughter and I walked down the hill everyday to go to the beach or shops and I think the only time we caught the free tuk tuk back up was when my daughter was sick. I am not a thin woman and I managed it. If you really don't like walking up the hill, there is a shuttle that will come and pick you up so the position of the hotel really is not a problem.
There was only one thing, I kept getting bitten and I originally thought they were mosiquito bites, but on my return to Australia I was informed by a friend that they were in fact, bed bugs. That did put me off - I was very surprised because I thought the standard of rooms was excellent. My daughter was in a different room and she didn't have any problems. Maybe it wasn't bed bugs, but I certainly got up every morning with red bites. The mattresses are very hard, but I actually got used to them after the first couple of nights. Also, there are a lot of stairs in the hotel, with no lift - if you don't want to walk all the stairs then you need to ask to be on the lower level, which would be fine. We were on the third floor and by the time we walked up the hill, then up the steps to the pool area then up the three flights of stairs to our room, we were pretty puffed out. That was the only downside - although it was good to walk off the food and drink we were consuming at a great rate. The beach down the road is lovely and very clean. All in all we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for your room on a lower level, save your legs on the stairs (that is if you don't feel like...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Our 3rd visit there over 6 years was by far the best. On arrival we received an upgrade to the VIP section which is restricted to guests over the age of 18 even tho we had our 16 year old son with us. The rooms were bigger and the bathroom was luxurious. We also received access to the VIP lounge which provided complimentary food and drink and free Dvd's to borrow, as well as gorgeous big chairs to relax in. Free internet access was also a welcome addition. The staff were friendly and very helpful. They also offered pay for 3 nights and get 3 nights free. All 6 days included buffet breakfast and the nights we paid for included a buffet dinner as well with entertainment on a couple of those nights. Great location if you want something a little quieter than Patong. The only fault i could find was the mattress was a little too firm for my liking...

Room Tip: VIP rooms are great if you are not travelling with young children.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently stayed at the Horizon Karon Beach and found it quiet pleasant. I was initially disappointed by the booking process and the customer services prior to arrival. I booked via their website and the booking was changed to 1 person not 2 people as I originally booked. When I emailed to correct I was told I was not able too. After various emails I was able to however I did get charged extra. Then on arrival we were asked to move to a different hotel for 3-4 days. It was unclear why they wanted us to move and the location of the other accommodation was. We found this quiet strange and were a bit unsure about our choice in location.

However after this initial first impression, we were very happy with the accommodation. The staff where friendly and helpful, and the accommodation was really pleasant and comfortable. THe buffet breakfast was great and had so much varity.

It was a great location and the facilities where great. I would certainly stay there again, however I wouldn't book over the internet again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

10 days stay - pay for 5 nights, get 5 nights free. Can't get a much better holiday offer than that.

Located at the top of a small hill, on the boarder between Karon and Kata beaches, the resort gives you the option of both areas. The staff are brilliant - friendly, helpful and always willing to assist in any way they can. There are climbs up and down hills and a few stairs to the rooms, but it is a family orientated resort - not the Ritz.

The rooms are well laid out and comfortable. We travelled with our two school aged children who were in the adjoining room next to us - each with their own queen size bed, whilst we had a king size (a treat for us). Our Superior Poolview rooms overlooked both pools on the ground floor. The beautiful smell of lemongrass in oil burners in each room on arrival really made you feel welcome. Each day you are given 2 bottles of water to help you get through the day.

The buffet breakfasts have a huge selection of foods covering all dietary requirements - vegetarian, halal, etc. Each evening they have a different theme of menu also: Mon - Japanese; Tues - Thai & International; Wed - Brazillian; Thursday - Healthy & Fusion; Friday - Phuket; Sat - Italian; Sun - Asian.

The resort also has a complimentary tuk tuk to run you down to the bottom of the hill and bring you up again should you choose not to walk the short distance. They also run a shuttle bus between the sister resort in Patong which enables you to go into Patong for shopping, dining etc and know that you have a safe and guaranteed transport option available (as long as you have booked your return & are there on time for the departures). As with all Thai's children are most welcome and they have a creche facility for those wanting to have a break from their children.

They are a good average resort that punches above their weight with lots of "little" things, that may go unnoticed by some. Would love to return there someday as we had a fantastic time.

Thank you Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa for giving our family a holiday to remember.

Room Tip: We were allocated Superior Poolview rooms on the ground floor and have no complaints at all of view,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have just returned from our second stay at the Horizon Karon. It was better than the first visit as we got to stay longer. There has been a lot of changes made since we were there last year & all the changes have been for the better.
The staff, as usual, are absolutely marvelous. Nothing is too much trouble for them & their politeness, friendliness & attention to detail is astounding. The beds are still rock hard ( wife really loves ) so it took me a while to get a good nights sleep, please can we have softer beds. The food in the buffet is great ( if you haven't tried it, how can anyone call it "dodgy"). Not all the food will be to everyone's liking but there were always alternatives available or go to the Bounty Seafood Restaurant down the hill. If you can't be satisfied here STAY HOME as you won't be satisfied anywhere. Looking forward to going back again next year.
BTW - the extra couple of $$ to stay in the Privilege Club Wing (if you are over 18 and without kids) is sure worth it. SILENCE, apart from the birds, the monkeys in the trees and the nightly doorbell to make sure you are fine and whether you need your room sprayed for mozzies.
On a final note re the buffet meals - my wife has specific dietary needs and she actually PUT ON WEIGHT here - she is fine, fit and healthy - and VERY VERY relaxed after our stay. Can't wait to go back (AGAIN).......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!