“Best hotel in Phuket” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Karon Whale Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Karon Whale Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Karon Whale Resort Phuket
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   538/3 Patak Road, Tambol Karon, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #56 of 69 hotels in Karon

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cyprus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Not really sure where to start but i did promise my self i would send in this review to hopefully help others.
This hotel was a night mare !!
The only good thing going for it was the location. Location being only 3-4 minutes to a great sandy beach and seconds to bars and restaurants.
When we arrived to our surprise the room was actually ready, not bad, quite small but it had everything such as TV, Mini bar etc.
First we had no hangers to put our clothes, then we realised only one plug socket actually worked. I hated to ask and make a seen but for sure we needed hangers. Within 2 minutes the door knocked and arrived TWO hangers !! So out we went for a walk, when we arrived we had no electricty, that was going to be fixed in 30 minutes which became 2 hours. So as soon as it came on, jumped straight in the shower which was freezing, not only was i having a freezing cold shower but the water was actually coming through the bathroom ceiling onto me and heading towards the light !! Off to reception again but all they seem to do is scratch there head and insist its not a problem !! By this time i had had enough so went out for beer !!

The next morning off to the inclusive breakfast which consisted of curry with rice and ants or, stir fry with ants, or steamed rice with mixed veg and ants, fried cauli ,egg fried rice and ants or toast with jam and plenty of ants !!!

Pool towels stained and full of holes were offered free of charge !!

I asked at reception if there was any chance of having a hot shower tonight, and having the sockets fixed, yes yes madam. That evening we had a hot shower alright, it almost burnt us and the boiler almost came through the ceiling ! This was ridiculous and very dangerous. So eventually they decided to move us to another room.
The same happened there although we had an army full of ants in the bathroom to join us and the light bulbs blew !!

The staff were not nice at all, apart from one waiter who was on in the mornings, the rest, forget it, they don,t even no how to smile !

Just to top it all off we had a COMPULSORY DINNER AT 40 POUND EACH to pay for news years eve..............believe me the dinner was no better than the breakfast !

This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in during or travelling in Thailand and the worst, never again, please DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE !!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude Reception staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

I have just return home after 4 nights in Karon Whale Resort. It is a simple yet sweet resort with the basic needs catered. However, try to search thru the web for the best price as I manage to book the room @ a very affordable price (26% of the Hotel Website price), with Breakfast inclusive. As I expect the standard room that I book consist of a single or a queen size bed as like other asia hostel, I was shocked when lead to the room!!!

The bed is the size of 2 super-single bed (slight bigger than King size), it has got balcony with chairs and table facing the garden, the bathroom with bathtub has got all the necessities provided. It has got 60 different TV programs as well, you can be of any nationalities to check in this Resort. The Resort offer Massage services, the length of the swimming pool is long enough if you are trying to swim a few laps in it. Moreover, wireless internet access is available in the lobby & I am counted lucky as my room was just above the lobby, hence there was nights when I can even surf net in my room! The Resort location is great!!! Pubs is located just at the doorstep, you will be able to find all sorts of shops at the surrounding of this resort, they sell local roadside food just on the street beside, the beach & night market is also 3-5 min walk from the resort. You'll be able to find a excellent Traditional Thai Massage just round the corner. I just fall in love with this area that I skip going to Patong Beach during this trip.

As this is my 1st solo trip, hence I tends to ask the front desk on lots of questions, and you wont be disappointed with the friendly staffs in the Resort. The service of all the staffs from front desk to coffee house is consider good with of course at times you will need to explain in more details due to the command of english. Another wow factor of this Resort is that the Mini Bar is charge as retail price, which is the same as the conveniences stall located outside, meaning there is no need for you to travel outside if you need any drinks. Locals will have no problem bringing you to the Resort, should you lost your way.

I will not say that this resort is flawless, the hot water supply for my room is faulty, no matter which way u turn your tap, it just wont get hot. The breakfast variety is limited, be expect for a very normal spread. In general, this resort is great, especially for the price I paid during their peak season!

• Liked — alost everything except for no internet access in room
  • Disliked — No Internet access in room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

This hotel is a really nice place to stay the rooms are spacious maybe a little dated, we had a problem with the water running brown for a few days which was a little worrying but we got it sorted out, although some nights you have to time your shower well, as the hot water is a little scarse. The pool area is ok with comfy sunbeds, There was building work going on next door which was so loud we went to the beach every day, the breakfast is really nice, but the day time snacks are not as clever. the location is really good and very central and close to bars and resturants but quite enough if you want an early night. The staff are super friendly and the reception staff cant do enough for you. We really enjoyed our stay here, however wouldnt stay here again as there are better accomadation in Karon.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — brown water out of the taps, tv didnt work
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Stayed here as part of our Christmas holidays
We picked this hotel as everywhere else was booked out for Christmas or charging silly prices of 400-600 AUS per night

Enjoyed staying here, the hotel was a pleasant 3 star hotel, located on a side road 2/3 mins walk from the beach
Great location and peaceful (which can be hard to find in Phuket)

Mini bar prices were terrific

Pool looked pleasant but we spent every day at the beach, the pool seemed larger in real life compared to online pictures and it looked pleasant

Room was a good size and bed was comfortable

I felt the low key atmosphere was a real plus, too many of the larger hotels in Phuket put on large scale buffets and music shows in front of their hotels and most often the music was blaring and sounded awful

Really liked the karon/ kata area - much preferred it to Patong
If I returned to Phuket I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Karon again and would consider staying at this hotel again

• Liked — Quiet central location
  • Disliked — booked a transfer from the airport to the hotel however when we arrived, they had forgotten to send a car and told us we would have to wait an hour, so we organised a transfer ourselves then
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Watertown, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Karon Whale Resort after seeking a quieter beach experience than Patong offered. The hotel is nice, a little dated, but completely adequate. The open air lobby has some funny hanging whale sculptures that look like they came from a 1960's aquarium. The whale-shaped pool is a nice alternative to the beach which is just two blocks away. Breakfast is at one of the little cafes down the street. There didn't seem to be much to do in the area other than lie on the beach - but that's what we were there for. There are nicer places in the area - but for the price, the hotel was just fine.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Karon Whale Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!