“Not So Great” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Phuket

You added The Old Phuket to your Saves list
The Old Phuket
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   192/36 Karon Road | Karon Beach, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Not So Great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

location is not great, too far far the beach and noisy. We had the Deluxe Terrace room which was dark and musty selling, the terrace was useless and faced out on the street. The staff however were very nice and extremely helpful even when we checked out 3 days early and found better accomodations.

• Liked — Nice staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

I stayed here for six nights with my daughter and cousin. Because it was the high season, and it was a last-minute trip, we had to switch rooms after two nights from deluxe to spa deluxe rooms (we had two rooms). The first rooms were much brighter, but the beds were smaller, although both were 'twin' sized. The spa rooms had a jacuzzi out on the balcony, which meant the rooms were darker. Jacuzzis were ok--took a long time to fill, and water wasn't very hot, but as there are fabulous Thai massages available only two minutes away, I wouldn't pay the extra for them again.

We were having such a great time we decided to extend another two days, and were switched to a terrace deluxe room. This was on first floor, and had rain shower outside as well as big bathtub inside. Also had king bed, with an extra cot in the corner for my cousin (Hey, I paid for the room!). We all thought this was the best room.

We also ended up booking a number of extra side trips through the hotel--outside restaurants, Fantasea, etc, and staff were very helpful. This may not be so unusual in Thailand, but it sure made the trip pleasant. Rooms were very clean, breakfast always included (although not much variety there), and there is a nice pool and small gym on the third floor. Internet access was easy, through purchased wireless access card. There are a number of decent restaurants right outside hotel gates, and most of Karon North shopping/restaurants are within a ten minute walk.

The hotel is expanding on a site next door, with planned opening in Dec 2008. Hopefully we will have been back at least once before then, if not more.

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — breakfast got boring
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

I loved my stay at The Old Phuket, whose architecture, I must say, is easier on the eyes than many of the hotels in Phuket. The staff were completely friendly and discreet – great senses of humour! They were encouraging of my no doubt terrible attempts at the Thai language and were always chatty and warm. I was travelling by myself and felt welcome and safe.
The spacious room was lovely and fresh, with a comfortable bed, clean bathroom and a great private balcony offering views of either the ocean or the mountains – fabulous at sunset. Sure, the beers from the bar fridge were more expensive than those from the local store, but are you really going to quibble over a couple of cents??
The pool was quite small but being on the third floor had gorgeous views of the mountains and seemed always to be cool – breeze off the Andaman. Great place to sit and read with a quiet beer.
Breakfast was all you need: they offered local fare (really fabulous) or eggs n bacon n toast if you wanted.
Check-in and out was relatively painless, with a cool drink on arrival and no problem organising a taxi to the airport through the hotel (cheaper, surprisingly than if you’d got one from the taxi/tuk tuk rank out front).
The place was quiet, charming, the locals were really friendly and fun, and the little street leading from the beach road to the hotel is lined with shops and massage places and really great restaurants. Short walk to the beach and not far to town.
And so cheap!
Loved it.

• Liked — Staff, room, relaxing by the pool.
  • Disliked — Would be great if the pool stayed open until a bit later...
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

Great Hotel given how pricey Phuket can be.

Hotel is in Karon Beach....a 2 minute walk from the beach and a 30 second walk from 10 nice midprice restaurants and a minimart.

I recommend this to anyone not looking to spend big bucks for a basic clean room with balcony and a view.

Pool is sweet too.

• Liked — Location, Price $60/night
  • Disliked — Birds in the dining area
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

We booked our room on [--]
We stayed 3 nights. Karon Beach was a short walk away and quiet. There were lots of restaurants walking distance too.
I loved the pool, the room, the balcony and the bathroom considering the rustic places we had been the week before.
We also had some medical issues and the staff was wonderful helping us.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

I have booked over ten hotels now using Tripadvisor as my source and this is the first occasion where I find myself dissenting from the positive views of the previous reviewers. Before I relate my experience, trying to be as objective as I can, I find no fault with the hotel facilities or staff. The hotel looks very much as depicted on their web site, the staff are pleasant and the location is good. However, the policies of this hotel are another thing altogether. I would avoid this hotel next time purely on that basis alone. I booked 7 nights through their website for July back in February 2007. As security for the booking they asked for 30% deposit by credit card which I complied with. On arrival at the hotel, the reception staff scrutinised my passport minutely and then demanded proof that I had paid the deposit - something I have never experienced before. When apparently satisfied about my identity, they demanded I pay the balance of my stay there and then. I commented that I thought this was unusual, the check-in staff told me it was the usual practice in Phuket. After that, I was given a lecture about how additional guests would be charged a further 600 THB and when I told her I had no intention of having "extra guests," she continued regardless, saying everyone is informed about this policy. Having now paid for my entire stay, I was asked for a further 1000 THB security deposit, which I felt was extremely petty given how much money I had handed over. Next, I was told that I could use the hotel safe and there would be a 2000 THB fee if I lost the safe key. All this left me with a decidedly unwelcomed feeling, which only heightened when I broke an ordinary drinking glass in the room one morning and came back after a day tour to confront a bill for 35 THB. When I jokingly commented that I thought all this was bit silly, the hotel clerk became quite alarmed and said that if I did not pay it, it would be deducted from his salary. The final insult was when I checked out - I had booked an entire extra night so I could have day use of the room. Notwithstanding the fact I was effectively paying for a room I would not be sleeping in, no consideration was given to this fact when upon checkout they wanted me to pay 80 THB for bottled water I had drunk. I commented that their hotel guide states that bottled water is provided free of charge and the hotel clerk replied that only the bottled water placed next to the kettle is free but the identical water drunk from the bar fridge is 20 THB. I was quite annoyed about the pettiness of all this and stated that I refused to pay and the clerk (not the same as the glass incident) became very agitated and implored me to pay, stating that otherwise she would have to. I had no doubt these staff worked under unimaginable Dickensian conditions so I agreed to pay for the water. In summary, I never felt like a guest at this hotel, but merely some kind of a component in the financial plan. I work hard for my money and I want to enjoy the places where I stay. I want to stay at hotels that treat guests as humans and not as some kind of suspicious clone.

• Liked — The hotel is fine but nothing exceptional.
  • Disliked — Petty hotel policies that demean guests.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

This is the second time I stayed in Old Phuket Hotel.

The first time was 2 years ago, and I was staying in the Spa Deluxe. The room is a standard room size, with a huge Jacuzzi in the balcony, which can take up to 4 average sized people (or 2 really big people).

The second time was a few days ago, and I was staying in the Jaccuzzi Suite. The front yard is a decent size, with an outdoor jacuzzi that can take 2 average sized people comfortably. The room is spacious, but the bed is facing the door directly. Some might not like the positioning of the bed. Behind the room is a huge toilet with a bath tub. After the toilet is an open-air shower head. The entire set-up is very nice and unique. The room design is trendy.

The location of the Old Phuket Hotel is quite good. It is along Karon Beach, near to the eating places but quiet at the same time. Just outside the hotels are some massage palours and a few quiet restaurants that sells thai food, italian food, danish sandwiches, etc.

A few downers. The room flooring is made of cement, so not exactly luxurious. There is no hot water for the jacuzzi in the front yard and the open air shower head have a portion that is not entirely covered. Patrons of the hotels next to Old Phuket might catch a glimpse when you are getting from the out door shower to the bath room.

The hotel itself have minimum facilities. If you are looking for a fancy pool, gym, tennis court or over-priced italian restaurant, this is not the hotel. If you are looking for a nice location and comfortable beddings with unique yet affordable concept (Jaccuzzi in your room), this is the hotel that you should be looking at. All in all, it is a lot better than expected, especially for the price (Baht 2430/night) i paid.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Old Phuket? Share your experiences!