“A very elegant hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Phuket

You added The Old Phuket to your Saves list
The Old Phuket
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   192/36 Karon Road | Karon Beach, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
western australia
“A very elegant hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We found the hotel staff to be very friendly from our first visit to reception to the end of our stay.Also at breakfast,poolside and even the guard on the gate. The hotel was kept spotlessly clean in all areas and the rooftop pool was amazing. We prefered the older style of the sino wing to the new wing as it had early Portugese opulence. The spa bath on the balcony was a little dated but worked well and we used it every night during our week in Phuket.Did not mind the 100 baht ($3) for an hours internet as it lasted the week just to check emails. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and available from 6.30 to 10.30 with lots of seating.The hotels grounds are spacious and well maintained, we cannot fault this hotel in any way. It was a quiet time of year and may be quite different at the hight of the season but we were able to eat out in the evenings without booking and prices were very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Well sadly our honeymoon ended in this horrible hotel. AS soon as we stepped out of our transport in front of the hotel we knew we had been given a bum steer from our travel agent. It was a hotel not a resort, two blocks of rooms, one old and one new, disjointed and poorly serviced. We had a pool access room, the room wasn't too bad although we had to resort to putting out towels under the shower to get them changed. Breakfast was the wrost I have ever seen, it was sad and the staff looked sad. The first morning I asked the egg station attendant for poached eggs, she pointed to a dish on the buffet (if you could call it a buffet) and turned away, I was confused and asked again, which sent her off into a tirade, she included another staff member, pointing at me and yelling in Thai. Obviously I didn't get the poached eggs. We saw food being put out with bare hands, we saw left over cereal being put back into the dispenser after breakfast was over and this also included the milk. It was shocking by Thai standards. The pool was ok but you had to get in and out of it to go to the bar which was very poorly stocked.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

The "OLD" Phuket hotel is really the worst name for this hotel as it certainly was not "OLD". It is infact a modern trendy hotel that has just been re-vamped. We were booked into this hotel by our travel agent Flight Centre and were thrilled with thier choice.

The location was excellent. It was positioned within 200 meters to the beach but far enough from the "noise" of the markets and party people.

2 meters outside the hotel are a wide variety of restaurants and massage spas.
All of these were very reasonably priced and we treated ourselves to a massage everyday and then stumbled back to the hotel.

The hotel had good security.
We used the internet at the hotel for a small fee.

Breakfast has a large variety but be warned coffee is poured by the waiters at your table but is not served with milk and you have to fetch your own milk?

The hotel offers a free bus at 11am into Phuket Town to the Central Festival Mall and collects you at 3pm.

We used the swimming pools and found these good to cool you after a hectic hot day island hopping.

The lemon grass smelling bubble bath in your room is real treat - try it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I stayed here for 3 weeks, and thoroughly enjoyed myself! They treated me like gold as I was travelling alone, and after a couple of days I felt like I was family. They really do look after you, and if you have any worries, go to reception and ask for help.

At first the receptionists seem to not understand you, some of their english isn't perfect, but they mean well and will try and accomodate you as best they can!

I upgraded from the Sino wing (I found it too noisy, had I only booked for a week I would have stuck it out), and moved into the Serene wing. I'd recommend this wing if you'd like the quiet and peacefulness of a relaxing holiday. My balcony was gorgeous, with views of the hotel, pool and the mountains in the backdrop. Most residents are couples or families, so I just hung out by myself, but felt really comfortable.

The Old Phuket is quiet, and while it seems there isn't a restaurant in the hotel besides the breakfast bar (really nice breakfast), there is the road that runs to the beach, and there must be about 4 hotel restuarants. The street itself is lined with massage salons, cafes and restaurants. It's a real gem! My friend stayed in the Hilton as well as the Old Phuket, and the Hilton in comparison is unfriendly mostly because the guests are looking for that international stock standard holiday. The Old Phuket is very Thai, you'll feel like you're in the country!!

Karon beach is lovely, so quiet, although wasn't keen on the market and found them to be quite aggressive. The beach is a good 8k stretch and if you're a jogger, I'd recommend ditching your trainers and running barefoot first thing in the morning. The beach from 9am just gets hotter and hotter, with not much of a breeze off the sea, but it is so quiet and peaceful that you could just fall asleep under an umbrella. Oodles of drink shacks that sell the usual, and if you get a fruit shake, they love putting extra sugar just to warn you! The sea is different over the month, one day its as quiet as a lake and the next the waves are crashing. Lovely to swim in but I believe the monsoon brings crazy currents, so be careful. I did notice the wind and current direction changed quickly.

All in all, I would highly recommend the hotel. My room was huge! The bathroom was beautiful, although if you have back or leg problems, you have to climb up to get in the bath which although looks great isn't all that practical. The rain shower is fab though! My balcony was amazing, and huge, and that's where I spent most of my time when in my room. At first it seemed a little clinical - the Sino wing has more Thai character, but I quite liked the cleanliness and the space of the Serene wing. It might also be because I was on my own.

The pool in the Serene wing is gorgeous, you could do laps if you want. I'd watch out for the chlorine though, I think they put quite a lot in so rinse your hair!! The pool in the Sino wing has great views and although smaller is sometimes nicer because it is so quiet. It definitely gets hot up there though.

The restaurant staff are so friendly, there was one guy who must work a million hours, but he had such a big smile on his face that he just made you feel so welcome! He even saw me down the street and gave me the biggest smile and wave. I almost cried when I left!

I'd book through Agoda, they have great deals, the hotel itself charges quite a lot. For Character and personality this hotel is ideal. They look after you and remember you, and make you feel welcome in the best way.

Enjoy - it is worth it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

It is really nice hotel and good service. My family and I stayed at "Sino" wing. It is kind of old style of Phuket Town. We really enjoyed it. It is very close to the Karon Beach for less than 5 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Request "Sino" wing
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Stayed for two nights on the 24th and 25th in the Sino wing (deluxe room). Really liked the shop house front of the room and the outdoor bath. It's a beautiful hotel located centrally to Karon beach, with restuarants and spas just at your door step. there are two swimming pools - love the pool at the new wing, shame the water was too cold. The only problem we had was the staff - receptionist that we got when we checked in, very sullen and cold. Wait staff that we encoutered were the same. The only ones that were friendly were the security guards.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed in pool access rooms at the Holiday Inn for two weeks last year and this year decided to stay at the Old Phuket pool access rooms - ground floor (new wing). For half the price of the Holiday Inn we actually liked it better(even if we were to pay more). There are heaps of restaurants just outside the hotel and ample shopping. Breakfast fine and rooms just so spacious and modern.The beaches are spectacular but don't book with hotel as quite expensive just go online via tripadvisor (we booked with agoda).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Phuket? Share your experiences!