“Hilton karon beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   333 Patak Road, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Karon
uk
“Hilton karon beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here 5 times now wonderful hotel.service exceptional.location wonderful easy for markets bars restaurants also near enough for going into patong .beach opposite always clean.the Hilton is in middle of updating rooms I would rec beach fronted rooms.love the Hilton would not stay anywhere else now in karon.also rec Sanook sports bar which is left from hotel to corner left again its non girls bar.ralph and his bar girls give you warm welcome.also rec paradise restaurant it does not look amazing from outside but food is and inexpensive this is on same street as Sanook also Harry's worth a visit.

Room Tip: Sea view at front
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HiltonPhuketArcadia, Director of Operations at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us through TripAdvisor.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation on this return trip. It is a great pleasure to read through your positive comments, which is always gratifying for the whole team.

As you outlined, our resort is located just a few steps from the beautiful public Karon Beach and sits along a convenient beach road for easy access to local shops and restaurants.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa in the near future.

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

So where do I start? I am a loyal Hilton fan and have stayed in properties all around the world. This is possibly the worst Hilton I have ever stayed in, in terms of accommodation, service and benefits/service you expect when being Gold or Diamond with Hilton.

Upon Booking: Used points to book 2 King Deluxe Plus Sea View rooms. Now I see why the redemption rate was so low (12,500 points per night plus taxes of around AUD $60)

Location: The resort is located in the very run down and tired area of Karon. My guess is that in the 80's this would have been a very good place to stay..unfortunately now Management nor Hilton seem to care about the property.

Check in: There are 2 lobbies. One is called the Welcome Lobby where you get driven in and bags unloaded...from there you catch the Hilton shuttle which run every 10 mins to the main lobby where they unload your bags. Security is very tight and they don't allow outside taxis, buses etc to go past the 1st.
Upon arrival we were ushered to the Hhonors desk and given cold towels and a pink cocktail...quite nice.
Agent explained we were "upgraded" to a better room type and given the details for the buffet breakfast each day.

Room: Agent escorted us to the rooms which were adjoining. I knew from previous reviews that the Lotus Wing had the renovated rooms, so the block we were in definitely wasn't that (Saitong wing 5th floor). Here is where the problems begun. Both rooms were just the standard room and one of the them had twin beds, when my reservation clearly had 2 King's booked. The agent expected me to be happy with this arrangement and made no attempt to fix the situation. She said the hotel was fully booked (it wasn't) and that this is what they could only offer. Not good enough.
I explained to her the reservation was made 5 months in advance, had confirmation in front of me for the bedding config (which is in the my Hhonors profile also) and that it definitely wasn't "upgraded" as she had mentioned. Over an hour went by before a room with a King was available in the Andaman wing (3rd Floor), looking over a dumpster, with a foul smell outside the balcony and definitely no sea view. In fact, this room looked like it hadn't been used in years. Very disappointing to have booked a certain room type, to then receive something below what you've booked.
After travelling and in the hot weather, we took the room for that night and I then emailed Hhonors and asked to speak to Management on 3 separate occasions to get something else sorted.

The Room Itself: Don't expect the usual soft Hilton bed to be in use here at this resort. The bed was rock hard with the springs being able to be felt when lying on it normally. It wasn't also a true King, with me being only 5 foot tall and my feet hanging out of it!
2 complimentary bottles of water (but you wouldn't know which ones, as they are all mixed within the fridge, so be careful when choosing them)
Small Peter Roth amenities (not full size) in a dangerous bathroom that has a step that you could quite miss if not looking where you walk.
32 inch LCD TV with a variety of channels including News, Sports, English language etc
No area to put up your suitcases. Balcony with small table and lounge chair outside.
Inside, tiny table and one very hard ottoman.
The bathroom flooded twice and we couldn't understand why. The bathroom is separate to the bedroom, however using the shower ended up having the main room tiles all seep of water in massive puddles with stretched at one point half of the room. It took 4 towels to cover the water (and there was a lot of water!!) The room wasn't clean. There was mould in the corners and shower had lots of grime on it.

The next evening I finally managed to get a Manager to speak to me and expressed my disappointment thus far. We were then shown a suite and given it for the next 2 nights. It was admitted that this should have been the room both bookings should have been given on check in, so quite annoyed it didn't happen in the first place.
The Hilton Suite was in the same wing on the 10th Floor. Fantastic 90 degree views across the resort and looking at the sea.
Separate lounge/dining and bedroom/bathroom. Tired and dirty furniture in good need of steam cleaning, and the floors needed a good mop (very sticky to walk on).
Bathroom however was large with 2 sinks, full size Peter Roth Amenities, more towels and very clean.

Overall Resort: The pools are quite good, lots of different areas and never very crowded. The water falls make a nice feature and the water was warm. You need to collect pool towels to use the pool, so remember to return them to the pool desks or else you will be charged 600 baht per towel.

Lifts: Goodness knows what would happen if you got stuck in a lift here. They are tiny, slow and you literally cannot breathe in them. I'm not one who gets claustrophobic, however I felt like I would pass out every time I got in one of them due to how hot they were inside.

Food: We ate at the following during our stay
Main Lobby: Snacks and Appetisers
Room Service: (overpriced on all menu items)
Buon Appetito: Italian (all you can Pasta or Pizza)
Cafe Cino: (Coffee, Sandwiches)
The food in all the areas was fresh and quite tasty. Reasonably priced (except for Room Service) as well as the cocktails and drinks on offer.

Entertainment: The Main Lobby has 3 female singers and male singer every night performing the latest songs and also doing requests. As hard as they tried it was like watching bad Karaoke, and the Hilton really should hire from a better agency than to have this act appear there for the next 3 months. Not only were they out of tune in most of the songs, 1 of the singers stood there and mimed most of it, and the entire act was not of a professional hotel standard.

Service: All hotel employees need to undergo better training in learning English. Not many of them spoke it, and those that did really struggled with the most basic of conversations. Not good enough for a property of this size that caters for the majority of tourists that would speak English.

DaySpa: Very overpriced day spa within the resort. Nice ladies and in a nice setting (all separate tiny villa treatment rooms). Great if you need a quick or basic treatment and don't want to venture out of the resort.

Transport: The hotel will overcharge you for any Taxi's or Tuk Tuk's, or even airport transfers. Organise yourself and do not pay their prices. They quoted 1900 baht for one way airport transport, where we paid 800 baht through a travel agency outside the hotel (very nice air conditioned van and friendly/safe driver)

Electricity Issues: On 4 occasions the hotel lost complete power. Once it happened while we were dining in a restaurant and the complete place went into darkness, you literally couldn't see a thing.

Be wary of Credit Card Fraud: So far nothing has happened to my CC, however on dining in one of the restaurants and wanting to pay by card rather than room charge, I watched the lady very closely who wanted to take it to the other end of the restaurant (instead of the machine right in front of me). I followed her, watched her closely and after it had been approved she wanted to write down the full CC numbers on her receipt. I asked her why (as it had been approved already) and she couldn't give me an answer. I explained I wasn't letting that happen, that she didn't need my card numbers and got it back from her. Be careful...you just never know.

Check out: I am guessing the man behind the main desk at check out was one of the lead Managers as he was friendly and spoke English well. He asked how our stay was, of which I said there were some issues.

All in all, I would never recommend for anyone to stay here, especially if you are used to some of the better Hilton properties. This really should be a Holiday Inn or lower end resort that caters to a low budget family crowd, as certainly didn't meet my expectations and has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Prior to the stay I also emailed the hotel 3 times asking various questions and confirming things. I didn't get one reply back, so I should have seen all the mistakes coming before then (other Hiltons normally reply back within 24 hours).

A waste of points and a waste of 3 days. Never again. I hope that Management do in fact read these reviews and take up the issues, as they certainly didn't during our stay.
Photos taken are of the suite only. Too embarrassed to post any of the terrible room we first had

Room Tip: Book a Suite. Don't even think about booking a lower room than this.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonPhuketArcadia, Director of Operations at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear guest,

We are disappointed to know that many aspects of our resort did not meet your expectations as a Hilton HHonors Gold member. I sincerely apologize for your disappointment.

We have shared your feedbacks with our management team to refine our operation based on your feedback and will in contact directly with you very shortly.

Once again, the most sincere apologies for your negative experience and thank you for providing us the opportunity to review our operations.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel during Christmas 2012 for a week.

Airport pick-up
Smooth. A little difficult finding the hotel representative among the sea of people, but he did have a banner with our names on it. It would be much better if the banner is double the size.

Check-in was not too bad considering how busy they were. It took them approx 20 mins to take us to our room.

Room - we got upgraded (initial reservation was for ocean view suite I think or a deluxe suite) to one of the Royal Suites which was a greatly appreciated gesture. Our room was luxury to the max. Clean modern lines, generous space and 180 degrees uninterrupted ocean view with big sliding doors throughout. Really could not fault this at all. Having said that, a/c controllers in the room made funny noises and there's some noises from the surrounding of the room that interrupted our sleep quality.

Facilities. The hotel is old.
Lifts were cramped and the one we had to take to our room smelt.
Dining. Breakfast at Andaman Lounge was a feeding frenzy, the variety of the food and the taste were acceptable, but not delicious. Tried Panorama Lounge, it's even worse, small room with quite a few tables but only 1 lady serving. We felt really bad for her as she was coping complaints left right and centre. Cafe Chino served surprisingly good coffee, the sandwich was ok, but we tried the Aussie pie and it's not good.
Swimming pools. It would have been ok in the low season. Guests have to sign in for towels and what most of them do were, putting the towels on the few available deckchairs, have a swim for 5 minutes then go on a walkabout leaving their towels on the chairs for up to 1hr 20 mins (the longest one we experienced) which means other people can't enjoy the chairs. Raised the issues with the pool attendants but received blank looks.
The spa. Excellent, we had 3 Swedish massages and enjoyed each one of them. The booking process was also swift and the ladies making the booking spoke good english. The service is expensive, with 1.5 hours Swedish massage costing approx 3,500THB++ (approx AUD$116, don't forget the ++).

Staff
Yes most of them were very friendly. The room service ladies did a good job tidying up our room every morning. The reception staff always smiled when they assisted us. The concierge would come up to us if we looked like we're in need of some information. The buggy drivers who drove guests from the welcome lobby to the main lobby always at the ready assisting us with our diving gear bags. Andaman Lounge staff seemed quite stressed out and I can understand the pressure.

Location
It is about 20 mins from Patong (400THB by taxi), but I disagree with those who claimed it's far from everything. It's about 15 mins walk to Karon centre, and 10 mins by tuktuk (200THB) to Kata centre (there's a Starbucks there). The hotel is not right on the beach but not a big issue, the beach is just across a small but busy road. The security will stop the traffic for the guests wanting to cross the road.

Airport drop-off
Also smooth. The driver did drop us off at the wrong terminal so we had to walk an extra 15 mins, but we didn't expect him to know.

To conclude, we don't plan on coming back to Phuket but if we do we will try other 5 star hotels with facilities to match.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonPhuketArcadia, Director of Operations at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to post your comprehensive and detailed comments on TripAdvisor.

We are disappointed to know that some aspects of your stay fell below your expectations and I sincerely apologies for those matters. We have taken your comments seriously and addressed issues with our respective management team to improve the areas you commented. We have started to work on the welcome sign and conducted small replacement on some lift.

Despite of the negative aspects, we appreciate your positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staffs which we believe to change experience different.

We thank you for your truly valuable comments as it gives us opportunities to refine our services and facilities. We hope that we will welcome you back to Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa in the future.

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is worthy of the 5 stars. Outstanding service. Good food, fine accommmodations and The Spa was a highlight. even a first aid station on site. Several pools meant we always found a lounger for poolside tanning . Well located with shops, spas, food market, and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: We had suprior room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your vacation at our resort. I passed your positive comments to our team to encourage them to keep up their friendly service.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

First thing's first: the hotel DESPERATELY need a full refurbishment. Everything screams 1970's. Even the lifts. The room floor boards creak in many places. No bath robe unless we asked. Furniture and fixture look old and tired, except the mattress which is very nice and comfy. Food quality is also not to the standard I expect, unlike Renaissance Bangkok or Westin Siray Bay. Lunch buffet at the Sails was a BIG disappointment. Breakfast buffet was also not as good as other hotels I've stayed in. The only sort of half decent meal was the dinner at Thai Thai.

Generally, the service was good, although house keeping can improve a bit in consistency. The house keeper took away the wet mat without replacing it with a clean one.

Not all is bad though. I certainly appreciate the welcome flower bouquet for my wife, and the fruit basket in the room (not sure if it's "standard" or because of my HHonors status). Despite the age, the hotel is also VERY clean.

Will I stay here again? Depends. If I have to pay, I most likely won't. I'd rather pay a bit more at Westin Siray Bay.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

We are truly disappointed to know that our resort fell below your expectations. In regards to the room condition, we’ve conducted renovations and upgraded more than one-third of our rooms to Deluxe Plus. This maintenance program is an ongoing effort to keep our rooms in great condition.

We apologize for not placing a bathroom in your room and for the food quality. We’ve addressed these comments with Housekeeping and chefs for future improvement.

Despite of the negative aspects, we appreciate your positive comments.

Thank you again for your valuable comments. We hope to have more opportunities to welcome you back to the resort.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

When we talk about brands..Hilton is always best, However with Phuket it dosent work so well, About hotel , Infrastructure, Surroundings .. Five stars, Room - Really old and few buildings were under renovations, Room was really turn down, Bathroom looks to be an old, Cant open the terrace, as lot of noises were coming.. Food Awesome , Buggy service was OK.. However when we compare with other hilton property.. This is not upto the mark, cant be treated as Five star property..If you are just looking for sleep , Its a good option., However not for spending time in resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonPhuketArcadia, Director of Operations at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is indeed disappointing to know that our resort fell below your expectations. We’ve gone through a refurbishment in Andaman A &B buildings, which is more than one-third of our rooms. For the rest of rooms, we will focus on maintenance program to keep them in good condition.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback as it gives us an opportunity to refine our service and facilities. We wish to welcome you back to Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa.

dhaka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Let's start saying that the check-in was fast, efficient & the receptionist very smart and helpful: she had 2 deal with various requests & she managed to make me happy...
Though it was high season, I got the room I wanted paying for the upgrade (even if only from the second night).
The buffet breakfast is awesome & you can get almost whatever you want: unfortunately this time they did not offer the freshly squeezed fruit juices I got the previous time.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Rooms might be a bit old, but well maintained. The main swimming pool is quite big and the area around it is very nice. We used to have special guests: the peacocks that live in the garden often came to greet the human guests...
From the swimmingpool area you can easily reach the beach by crossing the road, so you can decide where to swim. Karon is one of my favourite beach: wide and long, you can get sunbeds and drinks at reasonable price.
The hotel is not far from Patong (about 15-20 minutes ride), so you can decide to stay in the Karon area or to go to the most lively part of the island.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

It is our greatest pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your positive comments on our resort, especially on our team members. I have passed your comments to the team to keep up their great service in order to exceed guest’s expectations.

Once again, thank you for your feedback as we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa in the near future.

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!