“Not paradise” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort

You added Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort to your Saves list
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   29 Soi Karon Nui | Karon, Muang, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Karon
4.5 of 5 stars 1,780 Reviews
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Not paradise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

This is probably the first hotel I've ever stayed at where I've disagreed with a good Tripadvisor rating. I've stayed in hotels in Thailand many times on business and vacation trips and I do think this is about the worst value hotel I've stayed at. It was okay but I think there are better places on Phuket for the money

We stayed here for 5 days in an Ocean view deluxe room. The room was okay not huge but not too small. The bathroom was quite well done although I was quite surprised to find there was no bath. The aircon was a little noisy and you could hear everything from the room above and next door, plus suitcases being rolled outside at the crack of dawn. TV channels were quite limited. On 3 of the 5 nights we got back to the room to find the card key was not working and I had to go back and forth 3 times to reception to get the key reactivated and then have someone come up with a master key when this did not work. Other people I talked to had the same problem.

The pools are very nice and the beach good too. The service round the pools was a bit non existent though. Not once did I manage to find someone to get me a drink when I wanted one. The food was okay but not very Thai and very expensive for Thailand.

They obviously don't wnat you to leave the resort for a night out. There are a few minibuses leaving each night but you have to walk 10 minute to the top of the road and haggle for a car or tuk tuk into Patong. Every other hotel I saw has a string of tuk tuks waiting outside, but they are obviously banned from go to the Meridien unless dropping off.

On the plus side it is a nice haven from Patong, nice and quiet and isolated, in very nice gardens. I do think the hotel is showing some signs of age and there are definately better out there for $150.

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

I thought I would too write a review on Le Meridien as I checked this website numerous times before we travelled so should put something back in!

If anyone has any doubts about this resort, then please don't there's no need to worry! I'm a fussy and picky traveller (much to the annoyance of my husband) but all I could complain about on my questionnaire after our 9 night stay was the muslei was mushy and there should be shade sails over the outdoor childrens play equipment!

We had booked an Ocen View deluxe room and was given a non-smoking room on the 3rd floor (there are 6 floors) by the lifts. I wasn't happy as the ocean view wasn't that great but also it was quite noisy from the floors above and the plumbing (which I recalled seeing in previous postings). I asked if we would move to the 6th floor and they were happy to accommodate my whingings and gave us what we think is the best ocean view room in the hotel, room 693, as it is almost in the middle of the resort with a faboulus ocean view. It was a smoking room which after 30 minutes or so the smell had disappered. So my advice is to definately request the 6th floor!

I shan't repeat what previous people have said about the staff, but they are indeed remarkable and certainly make the place. The childrens club was great, although if you have kids under 3 you must stay with them. We used the baby sitting service 5 times, really nice ladies from housekeeping or the kids club, about Aus$17 for 3 hours.

Like previous posters have said the buffet breakfast is good, but the same everyday, in fact we stocked up on muffins, yogurts, milk, fruit and bread for our toddler to eat throughout the day!

Although the resort is tucked away it really is not hard to venture out, Mr Yongs restaurant is a 5 minute walk from the reception and his Thai food is better than the hotels and over half the price too!

I've got to mention 2 restaurants that we were recommended and I really want to share them - Sea Hag in Patong (down the alley way next to Zen restaurant), the best Thai food I've ever had, run by 2 gorgeous and gregarious gay guys and also The Rocks at the Marina Resort at Karon Beach. The best view, fab service and half the price of Ban Rim Pa (which we thought was very over rated).

My last word has to go to Phuket Richard, he picked us up from the resort and took us to the Elephant Rehab Centre, which was a high light of the trip for us. I can't thank him enough for the time he generously spent with us. If you want to book any trips then definately do it with him!

If you've got any questions, I'd be only too happy to answer them!

Enjoy!!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

We stay in hotels often around the world. Arrived to this hotel late afternoon; the reception was very warm by the staff. I paid via the internet for our stay. The person who checked us in wanted to charge me again! The room was terrible for a 4 star hotel. I asked to speak to the manager, which was amicable and courteous. He said that the hotel is full and will have to speak to his superiors about an upgrade. (I am a star wood gold member) in the late evening I received a letter to go and see the manager which granted us a huge luxurious suite. The food in the hotel was lovely, service is excellent. Sea was warm. The Island nice. Will go back.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

We have stayed at the meridien 6 times and we love it.
You can't really explain to anyone what a great place it is to stay.
We took advantage of the discount meal deal last time and the food and the prices were excellent. We love just lounging around on the beach- Relax Bay.
The lifeguards and the few Thais that wander around are very friendly and we know many by name.
The room service and the way you are treated is indescribable.
Everyone makes you feel welcome and the true test of how good the meridien is, is the feeling that you don't want to leave.
We are going back this year and we suggest that you do yourself a favour and go too!
Good things to do apart from eat and drink are:
* a trip to the cashew factory and the world of Jewellery
* Go to Fantasea
* Go to Simon Cabaret
* Eat at the boatshed and the Savoy
*Go down south to experience true Thai food
* Experience the great hospitality of "chicken" in his stall on the beach
*play Golf at the Phuket Country Club
* Go for a ride on a long boat
Contact Dom Marchidean- great Tuk Tuk driver who will take you anywhere.

There is so much to do in Phuket and the Meridean is such a great place to do it from.
The setting is magnificent!

• Stayed October 2005
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2006

We have just come back from the most wonderful holiday in Le Meridien (not the Yacht club) Phuket.

It is simply the best resort! I have read numerous reviews on the website prior to selecting the hotel to stay and we chose Le Meridien based on the reviews and friends recommendations.

What can I say, everything was just perfect.

The rooms are large and spacious, even though the resort is about 20 years old, the rooms and the premises are maintained very well. When we have arrived we were given a twin room (two separate beds), but were promised to be upgraded to a larger room two nights later. Even though it is a drag to change rooms, I thought it was fun to be able to experience staying in two different rooms.
The room service was superb; they attended to our room twice a day. The rooms are cleaned very well and are left spotless even after we have been in the room after the first service of the day.

We have stayed in the Ocean deluxe room, it was good but I thought that we would look out onto the ocean, in this case only throughout the pool. That was ok since the pool area is very nice.

The pools were very large and properly segregated so you never feel like there are people swimming around you. There was a separate pool for the kids. The hotel was fully booked out but there was just enough people to feel the atmosphere and never too crowded.

The gym was excellent. I am a bit of a gym junkie and never expected to have such a wonderful gym on a holiday resort. The weights room was very well stocked up with everything a serious weight lifter would need. They also run classes each day – 3 in the morning and one in the afternoon. Stretching and aerobics, as well as daily aquacise class in the pool. The classes are run by the loveliest local gym instructor. God Bless him, he is very motivating and smiley. I saw quite a few people working out on the excellent treadmill and step machines before breakfast. There are also plenty activities (at no extra charge), like archery, scuba diving lessons, mini-golf , Thai boxing etc.

The breakfast buffet was good , but not exceptional. It had everything on offer you may need for breakfast but the food was the same each day. That was ok since we didn’t want to stuff ourselves, since the lunch in the café, having a cocktail while your toes are in the sand is an unbelievable experience. There are about 6 restaurants with most wonderful food on the resort. There is a Thai, Italian, French, European and Japanese food on offer. The Italian (surprise for us) was simply fantastic and Thai food was also very good. They also have various buffet style nights in the separate restaurant on the beach. We have mostly eaten at the resort, since Le Meridien is very secluded from the main area of Patong. We have ventured out to eat in Patong, but mostly couldn’t be bothered since it was nicer to stay in.

The beach is almost half a kilometre long and we enjoyed our morning runs there. Since the beach is exclusive to Le Meridien it is very nicely maintained, there are heaps of reclined seats for sunbaking with plenty of shade (remember to put sunscreen on!).

We have also indulged in the resort Spa. We had two treatments for couple at 9,500 baht for 3.20hours for two of us (massage, facial, reflexology etc). It may seem expensive, but back at home you would pay at least twice as much for treatments.

We have done a day trip to Panga Nga and saw the most wonderful performance at Phuket FantaSea
(--). I highly recommend it.

Enjoy you holidays, Phuket was a wonderful place for a holiday.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

We visited the simply superb Evason Resort during Easter last year and vowed to return to Phuket again after our amazing stay. We decided however to follow the TripAdvisor recommendations and book the Le Meridien for this years holiday instead. Although we enjoyed our stay, we had mixed feelings about certain aspects.

The standard of the rooms were our biggest disappointment. We booked the deluxe sea view room and expected it to be just that. The room looked tired and in need of renovation with chipped and scratched woodwork and stained, 'damp smelling' upholstery. The only saving grace was the excellent bathroom with its huge walk-in shower.

The food at the hotel was good (especially at the Italian), although not exceptional for the price. The breakfast was expensive (£25 for 2 adults and 1 child) and uninspiring with a poor selection of fruit, cereal and breads.

Being a Brit living in Thailand, I know just how good the Thai service and hospitality can be. Service at the Le Meridien ranged from average to good in comparison. The most friendly person was the maid - who always had a huge smile and a friendly word. In contrast, some of the pool waiters really looked as though they did not want to be there..

With the negatives out of the way I can move onto the positives. The biggest plus point for this hotel is the range of activities it offers - particularly for families. The Penguin Club is excellent and kept my 8 year old daughter fully occupied with a great selection of fun activities including Batik painting, scuba diving lessons, jewellery making, competitions etc etc. The staff there are fantastic and cannot be praised enough.

Now onto the star of the whole week... YIM YIM the baby elephant. He entertains the children (and adults!!) during his daily visits with tricks, kisses and swims in the sea with hotel guests. He also visits The Penguin Club for snacks in a morning and loves all the attention.

The beach at the hotel is beautiful and spotless, with soft white sand. The only downside is that it is not really suitable for snorkelling and there are many BIG waves! The older kids however loved it.

We were also lucky enough to be at the hotel for Songkran (Thai New Year) celebrations. In addition to the great festivities put on by the staff during the day, we were treated to an excellent gala dinner with a great thai show and firework display in the evening. Although we thought initially the evening was expensive (almost £100 for the three of us without drinks), we enjoyed every minute.

Would we stay at the Le Meridien again?? Probably not, with the simply wonderful Evason Resort being in the vicinity.. The standard of accommodation there far, far outweighs that of the Le Meridien for more or less the same price. If however, you want a great family holiday with loads going on look no further than the Le Meridien - you won't be disappointed.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

We returned here for the sixth time for the last two weeks in March 2006,but this was our first since the Tsunami.We stayed as we always do in a room with an ocean view and eat some meals in the hotel and some out.Since the wave,the whole of the spa has been rebuilt and now comprises a really luxurious 12 treatment room centre.I have used the same masseuse there for 6 years..Anong who is one of the best practioners i have ever come across.In fact i would say she is the main reason we keep coming back.The spa,the rooms, the pools,the people and the beach remain top class.In fact the beach seems to me to be better than ever.Very good sand, good clear water,good sitting areas and few of the usual downsides of beach life around the world.Even the water scooters do not seem quite so bad as previously and are kept at a reasonable distance away.We thought there might have been wave damage to the grassed sitting out areas between the pools and the beach,but all is as before with lots of space under palm trees which gives the hotel such a feeling of spaciousness.
The only downside we found was the standard of the food.Breakfast is sensational and a really good buffet with everything you can imagine on offer,but from then on everything went downhill fast and was really very expensive for what was on offer.We came to the conclusion that the management are trying to do too much.The japanese restaurant was quite good but expensive.The Italian was OK but the Thai restaurant was frankly very poor.It was expensive and very ordinary food.If you want Thai,the best bet was to eat in Patong at the Savoey.On the front at the far end.Much cheaper and outstanding food.You can eat cheaper still pretty much anywhere,but it wont be as good.Elsewhere in the hotel,we eat at three of the themed buffet nights,each of which the same group played the same songs but in different rigouts!The raw materials at each buffet were OK,but everything that was supposed to be hot was tepid or cold and fairly tasteless.Beef for example was raw to the point of being inedible.In all a complete waste of money as demonstrated by the absence of diners.We eat three times at Sam's Steakhouse in the Holiday Inn in Patong which was seriously good and at the Boathouse about 20 minutes by cab away to the south.That was very very good and an example of what can be had in an hotel.Expensive,but well worth a visit.We eat down there twice and intend to stay there for three or four days next year.
Starwood have recently bought the Meridien chain and thay need to get down there to get stuck in..There is so much going for this place that we shall be back(as long as anong is there!),but we were left with the impression that the dining needs a wholesale overhaul.Maybe reducing down to two top class restaurants(one inside and air conditioned,one outside) and raising the standard sky high.This is NOT a cheap holiday and few people seem to come here wanting a cheap end of the market deal.Right now we thought the dining resembeld a holiday camp product.We would eat in out of choice all the time,but unless things improve when we go again we shall be eating out all the time.The management need to go to see say the Shangri la in singapore and have a look at the buffet they put on each thursday night for S$88 per head.It is simply light years ahead of what they try to do here,but achievable.They need to look at Sam's steakhouse and match the quality achieved there and then look at the Thai cooking at the Boathouse.More expensive than the Wang Warin in the hotel but each evening we went down there it was packed(compared to the wang warin which was virtually empty every night in two weeks).
So a great deal for Starwood to work on.I hope they succeed as the lovely staff deserve better. I want to keep returning for one.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!