“An Absolute Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort

You added Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort to your Saves list
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   29 Soi Karon Nui | Karon, Muang, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shoalhaven, Australia
“An Absolute Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel is a perfect base to explore Phuket. It is tucked out of the way (yet only 10 minutes tuktuk from Patong) on its own private beach which is really nice and well maintained. The Pools are huge and the night view from the rooms in fabulous.
Breakfast buffet is fantastic.
This is one of the few luxury hotels in the heart of Phuket life.

Room Tip: Must choose a pool view room at minimum. Garden view are slightly cheaper, but you lose the wonderfu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear "Douglass4"

Please accept our appreciation for this nice review!
There is nothing more rewarding than knowing that our guests had a wonderful time with us. We are pleased that our location, rooms and meals suited your stay with us. It will definitely be our pleasure to welcome you again at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort soon.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Given its age this hotel is certainly not on par with other Le Meridien resorts I have stayed at but it is nice. We had a Deluxe Pool View room that was nicely renovated and quite large. Views overlooking the pool and beach were good. Complementary bottles of water are provided (around 4 each day).

The private beach is fantastic great for swimming,and there was always loungers available on the beach and near the pool. There a 2 pools which are both huge so while the resort has many rooms during the day it never looks really busy. Great gym near the pool with plenty of equipment. Wifi is free in the lobby area and speed is generally good.

Breakfasts were incliuded in our rate and there was a large selection of good food hot and cold, no complaints here at all. The restuarants consists of the pool side bars and more refined Thai, Italian and Japanese places near reception. We had dinner one night at the Thai place, while quite expensive it was good food and the table by the pool was nice. Only annoying part was on check I was told SPG members were entitled to 15% off food at the resort, so we often had lunch at the pool side restaurant. On check out we were told the discount only applied to the more refined restaurants near the reception.

I liked the location of this place, away from the hustle and bustle of Patang. Taxi ride into town is around 200 Baht its about a 5 minute drive. We pre-ordered a airport transfer which was 1,500 Baht each way. While expensive it took all hastle away at the airport and the refreshing towel and drink in the cab was nice.

We booked a 1/2 day tour (that purported to include Elephant ride, Monkey show, kayaking and rubber plantation tour and dinner) through the tour desk at the hotel. A word for the wise DON'T DO IT. For 2 reasons:
1. You can book the same tour for 1/2 the price in Patong and
2. Even if we paid the half price its still a complete waste of money, Elephant ride was OK but monkey show was a joke, kayaking lasted 10 minutes, rubber plantation tour was a walk to a tree! A complete rip off!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear "pies1311"

Many thanks for taking time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your comments about the resort and we apologize for the incomplete information on the discount available to SPG members. Rest assured that we will share your feedback on your outside excursion with the tour company renting desk space in the lobby. We look forward to having you again at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I had read mixed reviews about this place but decided to try it on a friend's recommendation.

First the negatives:
Hotel shows its age, the elevators stink, and even the refurbished rooms are not a five star experience. The quality of breakfast is not at par with other Le Merdiens. The hotel gets bus loads of package tour type guests who seem to overwhelm the lobby at times. The rooms can get noisy from the hallway and neighbouring rooms.

But these downsides are more than made up by:

A fantastic private beach which is clean and never looks too busy, the wonderful pools, the excellent staff, a kids club which had scheduled fun activities to keep children. Aside from the lobby, the place never felt too busy. The location is less than ten minutes from paying beach making it a nice getaway from the craziness.

We enjoyed ourselves and look forward to coming back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear "AMarghub"

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience following your recent stay at the resort. We do appreciate your feedback as these affirm our efforts and at the same time allow us to focus on areas where we need to improve. As we celebrate our 25th anniversary this year, we are truly committed to further expand successful enhancements we have completed in 2010 and 2011. Meanwhile, we are certainly glad to know that all those points mentioned were reciprocated with an enjoyable experience. Many thanks for highlighting the secluded beach, oversized pool and the fun activities offered in the Penguin Club. Many thanks for your review and we look forward to having you again at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort.

Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just lovely! The hotel offers five star service and five star facilities, the hotel is set in a lively small bay. Hotel rooms in the front offers a beachview and pool view, at the back ll get overwhelmed by a green environment. The hotel rooms are spacious, spotless and tastefully decorated. The breakfast shows a large variety of food with of course a live cooking station for fesh baked eggs and omelets and more. The garden and pools are well maintained and they have alot to offer for kids. They undertake activities on a regular base. Besides this the hotel has some nice shops and in their lobby they have salesmen every night offering a variety if products like pearls, leatherwork, art and juwelry. It's a lively hotel with entertaining performances at night and the restaurant offers quality dishes. All in all A fantastic hotel and would recommend it to anyone, even the ones with high expectations.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear "Jessica_Edwin"

We are truly delighted to learn that you had a wonderful holiday with us and that you were pleased overall with our facilities and services. Many thanks for sharing your experience and your recommendation. We are happy to have you as our valued guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Positives:

- Own Private beach which is clean, sea is nice with blue waters
- 10 minutes taxi ride to Patong beach
- Large number of swimming pools for guests

Not so positive:
- Property is old so rooms are neat, clean but the wooden parts of the room like drawers etc do look old.

Overall, I had read mixed reviews about this hotel. However my over all experience has been good in terms of location, nice secluded beach, overall friendly staff and decent food.

Room Tip: We took Ocean view room and it was money well spent sitting on balcony.
Dear "milan b"

Thank you for taking time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience at the resort and that you were particularly pleased with the location and the high level of service by our associates. I will surely share your kind words of appreciation with the team. Moreover, I'm happy to learn that you too liked the secluded beach and the privacy it provides. I am sorry that you felt the property to be a little dated, rest assured that we are truly committed to continually improve and upgrade our facilities. In fact, 70% of all our 470 rooms and suites are renovated with enhancement works completed in 2010 and 2011. We are currently finalizing plans to expand this further next year. We hope you'll consider staying with us again on your return to Phuket.

Kind regards,
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Another recent reviewer made the following comment, one that I would like to echo:
“The straw that broke the camel’s back was upon check out when the 'transportation desk' told me they would call a cab to the airport, and it would cost roughly 1500 baht. Considering the fact that I paid 500baht to get there from the airport, I was livid... literally, I went on a tour of 5 islands with lunch and transport included for 1200baht the day before.”
Hear, hear!

Basically my stay here was ruined by a combination of the hotel’s location and the extremely poor public transportation infrastructure on Phuket. What this means for someone staying at Le Meridien is that you will likely end up paying considerably more for transportation than you anticipated. There are no meter taxi or public bus services available, so the only way to get in and out of the property is to use the overpriced taxi and shuttle bus service provided by a tour company that has a contract with Le Meridien. To get to Patong or Karon beach, the charge is THB 300 and an airport transfer is THB 1,300 (which is more expensive than what I paid for the flight to Phuket with Air Asia). These fares are considerably more than what is charged for comparable distances in Bangkok and other areas of Thailand.

There are also unofficial drivers waiting in the parking lot to offer you slightly lower fares, but the fares offered by these drivers are still higher than anywhere else in Thailand. I also wondered how these drivers got past the security gate where everyone is asked to show their hotel key card and why the hotel allowed them operate on the premises (while not allowing meter taxis to operate on the premises). I chartered one of these drivers for a day, and he got angry with me when I refused to visit any souvenir shops that would pay him a commission. Because he was not directly affiliated with the hotel, there was no one with whom I could file a complaint.

There is also a shuttle service to Patong at offered at some times, but this service has a very limited schedule and costs THB 100 per head. Most hotels that I have stayed in that are of the same scale and price range as Le Meridien offer these kind of services for free.

Although the location of Le Meridien does not appear to be far from Patong or Karon on the map, walking to either of these locations from the hotel is not really practical. The road connecting the hotel with these towns is extremely curvy and mountainous. It has no pedestrian path and high traffic volumes of crazy tuk-tuk drivers and foreigners riding motorbikes for their first time.

Considering the location of the hotel, I have no idea why Le Meridien does not offer a frequent free shuttle service to Patong or an economic airport shuttle service. On the day I checked out, I asked the concierge if she could call a taxi service or shuttle bus service for me because the service provided by the tour company that rents space at the resort is overpriced. She said she could not help me because she would be fired. Basically the hotel’s policy seems to be to prioritize their contract with this tour company over the comfort of their guests. This is not what I would expect from a five-star property and not the kind of issue I want to have to deal with when I am paying upwards of THB 4,000 a night.
For this reason, if I visit Phuket again, I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Dear "william taylor"

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your detailed review. As much as we would like to give convenience to our guests regarding the car service of the resort we do understand you were disappointed by the general transportation trend of the island. The transportation service we have in contract with is in full premium insurance to give our guests security while they are outside the resort or on the road thus it is above the prices of the local ones. As for the local taxi and pricing, it is fixed as per standard practice of the association of transportation of the island, which we cannot amend. Many of our guests are usually and conveniently amazed by our location considering the proximity of the resort to Phuket's shopping destination and tourists attractions. Whilst we sincerely apologize for the overall inconvenience you experienced, please be assured that your comfort and safety are of utmost importance to us and that your recent experience with our associate is not indicative of our usual standard of service. Let me note that during that time you might misunderstood inadequately unable to provide to being fired. Again, we really appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

After reading all the reviews, I thought this would be a nice place to spend a few days with my 3 children. What a disapointment! The hotel doesn't have any charm at all. It is even depressing. The beach is nice, but the swimming pools and restaurants are just surrounded by concrete. The service is lousy (sorry for the ones who did a good job), many don't smile and I can almost count on my fingers the number of staff who said hello during our stay. Our room got prepared in the evening only once in 4 days. Was it a special attention or did they forget the 3 other days? The pool rooms were comfortable, but you can hear everything that is happening in the corridor, including doors banging. The breakfast buffet is very average and the restaurants are way too expensive for the quality of the food.
I don't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear "lolosing"

I am truly sorry to learn that you did not have a good impression of the resort after your stay with us. We apologize for the lapses in our usual high standards of service delivery. I have shared your feedback regarding our failure to inspect and clean your room which as per standards should be done daily and upon a guest request. The resort is in fact located on a secluded cove amidst 40 acres of surrounded by lush tropical greenery. I regret that these did not impress you. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again. We will definitely appreciate the opportunity to regain your confidence in us. Thank you for your time in posting your feedback.

Best regards,

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!