“Breathtaking” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 activities in Karon
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Sharkey Scuba is a 100% legal PADI dive center in Karon, Phuket. We are complete diving fanatics as our guests will testify! Started in 2002, the owners, Oui and Iain alone, have been teaching and guiding in Phuket for over 20 years between us. We were the first company in Phuket to exclusively offer private scuba diving courses from complete beginner to professional level. We also arrange day trips and Thailand liveaboards. Every guest is very important to us which is why we offer a highly personalised service including hotel visits and after dive events. Wherever you are staying in Phuket we can help with free transfers for dive trips from all of the following towns: Karon, Patong, Kata, Kamala and Chalong. Dive courses, day trips, Similans liveaboards - just ask and we will help.
Adelaide, South Australia
11 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

On the spur of the moment I called Sharkeys to see if they could fit me for a dive the following day. within 15 minutes Iain had popped around to my hotel to give me the course information, check me out, measure me up and take my money ( all in that order!)

The next morning I was picked up by Oui who figuratively tucked me under her wing and introduced a diving newby to the joys of being underwater.

Oui was thorough, fun, encouraging a patient. While my spirit was willing my ears were somewhat reluctant participants and Oui was somehow able to reassure me through the mask and bubbles and water when I was in some discomfort. Although we traveled to the island in a large dive boat with 40 (?) other divers once we jumped in the water I had an individual tour of an amazing reef.

We dived in two locations on the island. For a total of 90 minutes. What I saw underwater was amazing.

I paid extra to have photos taken. I am still on my journey and haven't seen the final photos but from what I saw through the lcd display on the camera the I am so glad I took up that option. Oui did contortions in the water to get the best picture composition.

Both Iain and Oui are extremely friendly and professional. If you are interested in a diving off the south coast of Phuket I would recommend Sharkeys.

Visited September 2012
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was a real pleasure to take you and introduce you to our wonderful underwater world in Phuket. We are glad that you appreciated our service including the hotel visits that we offer to make life easier for our guests. We are also glad that you enjoyed your personalized tour underwater. The reefs are mainly quite big so even with a large dive boat it is still generally possible to escape the other dive groups:). Do keep in touch and come visit us again soon.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
27 attraction reviews
“Superb day diving, very friendly and professional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I contacted Sharkey via email prior to arrival in Thailand and Iain replied very promptly and in great detail about our best options for a diving/snorkeling trip. Iain met us in our hotel in Kata and again explained about the trips and the best sites. My husband and I wanted to dive whilst our children would snorkel so Iain arranged for his wife Oui to be a snorkel guide and supervise our children, we opted for the Racha Yai/Noi trip. We were picked up promptly on the day of the trip and taken to the harbour where Iain met us, there was a thorough briefing on the boat and we set off. The dive sites were amazing and Iain was a great guide, avoiding the crowds and pointing out an array of marine life. Oui also pointed out so many fish to our 8 year old during their snorkeling. Later that evening, Iain very kindly dropped off an aloe vera plant (from his own garden) to treat sunburn (acquired the day before at the beach), he also invited us to dinner at his local restaurant with his family. It was a lovely evening with great company. Sharkey fully deserves 5 out of 5 if not more, thanks Iain and Oui look forward to seeing you again!

Visited August 2012
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was a real pleasure to not only take you diving but to get to meet your family too.The diving and snorkelling were awesome with excellent visibility that day. It is also such a small world as we realised when it turned out that your husband is from the same village in England as Iain's father! We do hope that you come back to visit again soon and maybe next time we can get the youngsters underwater too:).
Killeen, Texas
“Absolutely wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was my first experience with traveling to Thailand and my first diving experience. I contacted Sharkey and Iain was incredibly friendly and helpful in answering all of my questions and getting my trip organized. I couldn't have made this trip without all the help he provided! Oui was my instructor for Scuba when we arrived to Thailand and I loved having her as a teacher! Oui and Iain are two of the kindest people I have ever met, and their enthusiasm for scuba diving and the ocean is contagious! I had such an incredible time diving with Oui! If you are thinking about doing any Scuba training in Thailand Sharkey is the only way to go!!!

Visited April 2012
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you were able to find the time in your busy schedule to come and learn to dive with us. We are aware that many of our guests have very busy schedules so Iain tries his hardest to make everything as hassle free as possible. It is great that you enjoy your dives with us so much. We really enjoyed meeting up in the evening too and hope to get the opportunity to do so again sometime in the future. Keep in touch!
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My experience with Sharkey Scuba was amazing, they are fun and very friendly people. The diving side was amazing, they know the waters like the back of their hand and know exactly where to find everything interesting. Thanks to Sharkey Scuba I experienced my best ever dive on the two day Phi Phi trip! I had so much fun and would definitely use Sharkey Scuba again!

Visited July 2012
Kanniga P, Owner at Sharkey Scuba, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a real pleasure to meet you, your friends and family and to get the opportunity to take you diving. We certainly did have some awesome dives and some great evenings too. Iain was particularly taken we you chose to sing to him outside the restaurant after dinner one evening. We certainly wish you luck in your musical career. Remember us when you are famous and come visit again soon:).
Shanghai, China
“Great Diving and super time in Thailand.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Can only repeat what the the other reviewers said. We had a superb time in Thailand and the diving with Sharkey Scuba was the highlight for me.

Visited August 2012