“Recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Denver, Colorado
“Recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was there with my family for one week and I have to say it was great. There are plenty of things to do so my kids really enjoyed it. Food in restaurant was great. Our suite was large, clean and very comfortable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Pietarsaari, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just came home from our 4th 2 week visit at Centara Grand Beach Hotel Phuket, Karon Beach within 3 years and again we feel very well and happy after our 2 week stay at the hotel.
The hotel is at the beach so we swam a lot. We did not miss the beach sunbeds as there are sandbeds nearby on the hotelarea and the beach is clean and nice now.
The big hotelpool for kids and everyone and the calm adult pool and the clean beach gave much choices for swiming.
Best of all at this hotel is the friendly and careing staff everywhere about. The management was present and interested in our wellbeeing and wishes.
The food and beveragemanagers khun Anan, khun Thaan, and khun Aek always took time to come to us during the meals and made us feel very welcome.
We had halfboard and the morningbuffet had everything you can wish for.
In the evening we could choose buffet or a la carte at the Cove, mainrestaurant and we loved the thai-food. Most evenings we preferred the romantic and calm italian restaurant Mare with excellent food and the friendly italian chef Matheo and the especially warmhearted nice and professwional serving stuff of khun Aek and khun Nok. We also thank khun Pla, khun Pumpui, khun Gif, khun Bearm and khun Pon for their good service and many laughs together as we practised our thai language skills with them during our 3 course menu.
Walking around the big hotelarea with different flowers, palm and trees we often met the hotel security chief khun Karn who always greeted us with a warm smile and helped us in every way even with sending up lanterns in the sky in the evening to celebrate different events and to rememeber our loved ones. He even knew our roomnumber an had a full time contol over the whole hotel.
At breakfast we where very warm welcomed with a smile and a flower from khun Pui and khun Su ant the whole staff of khun Ma.
Our beach side room was clean and well kept by khun Ra(t).
At the Ripples adult pool we ad a mango coco smoothie daily and good service from khun O and khun Dao.
We definitely come back to this hotel next year again.

Karin and Per Evert Hellman
Finland

Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a horrible hotel! They had a branch with exact same name in Krabi, and we mistakenly booked this one. Then we called to cancel the booking, but they rudely declined us and even made fun of it. Then we asked if it's only to just charge the first day, but they charged ALL the days. In the end we went to the same chain in Krabi, but lost 800$ in this hotel. Horrible horrible horrible, they rip you off in whatever way they could. Very rude management!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at this resort for ten days with my family and it is a very aesthetically pleasing place. The drive from the airport was a bit lengthy, but I think this was because of traffic as it didn't take as long on the way back. The staff we spoke to originally at the reception desk had very good english so we were impressed but the standard dropped since a majority of the employees did not have very good english. Even considering that, we could still communicate with them so I guess it didn't matter that much.

The buffet dinners weren't that great, there are dancers while you eat and the food selection is alright, a bit overpriced. The italian restaurant had very nice food and service, so we ended up eating there most of the time. The beach restaurant was more for drinks during the day in my case, but we did have dinner there twice. It was a bit of a hassle because our steak dishes were served cold but it was all compensated for. I had room service once, it was soup and it was pretty nice, it came with a bowl of bread too. There's complimentary water in the room that's replaced everyday and there's some minibar food too but i didn't bother with any of it. There's also a rooftop bar which i never attended but it looked VERY nice.

The pools were beautiful, I can't think of a single problem. They were always pristine and the lifeguards were both friendly and skilled. There are really fun slides to go on and a little 'lazy river' thing, there are also cool little gazebo things in the lazy river that looked like they'd be really nice to sit on. There's also a man-made cliff jump with a lifeguard supervising. There are towels supplied and fun little games by the pool staff. I didn't try out the pool bar but from what I could tell, it looked nice.

The Spa Cenvaree was a very nice place, I got a facial and a mani/pedi. The service was very luxurious and the atmosphere is beautiful. Everybody loved it. Since this was my first time at a spa, I don't have much to compare it to, but my mother frequents spas often and she said that "It was a good spa, but she's been to better ones".

The tourism activities and taxi desks in the lobby were very helpful, the women at the desks seemed to know everything and had decent english. There weren't any problems with taxis or our outings at tourist places (with round trips) and everything went smoothly. The resort is a little far away from some of the places we went to, but the fact that we had our own beach definitely made it okay.

The beach was divine, there are beach games and all sorts of things to do. The beach bar/restaurant has an amazing view and there are really cool couches all around which anybody is free to sit on.

The rooms themselves were very nice too, the bathrooms were huge. We had a huge balcony (it came with our room) with couches and reclining chair. We had a king bed too. Sometimes cleaners arrived very late or not at all, which was definitely disappointing. Our blinds kept on breaking and the sink clogged, which was frustrating. These problems were eventually fixed but they shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and I'd recommend this hotel to anybody, it's very romantic in places but also family friendly (the kid zone looks like a child/teenagers dream).

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool have a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean, but you will hear children scre...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Oldham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Having read some of the previous, less than favourable reviews on this site, I can only assume that we must have stayed at a different hotel. Either that or some people are never happy unless they have something to complain about. Everything about the Centara Grand is superb. I can only urge anyone reading this to ignore the negative reviews and focus on the positives. Some highlights:-

Location. The hotel consists of nine separate blocks that are built in a natural amphitheatre at the north end of Karon Beach. This means that virtually every room has a nice view over the beach and pool area. Some of the ground floor rooms may have their view obscured by foliage so a good idea is to request rooms on the higher floors to get the best from the superb location.

Staff. Everyone working at this hotel is excellent. In our two week stay we never once had a negative experience with any of the staff. They would always greet you with a smile and they all seemed genuinely happy in their work. We were particularly impressed with the numerous security staff who would come smartly to attention and salute any passing guest. We were also lucky enough to be invited to the Manager’s Cocktail Party where we met a number of the senior management team. Their commitment to continuous improvement was impressive and they seemed genuinely keen to gather our feedback on the service received in their hotel. One example of their desire to improve is the fact that the hotel employs a full time language teacher for their staff. We also met the Guest Relations Manager, a very pleasant young gentleman from Holland called Mathew. As well as ensuring that our glasses were kept full during the party, he provided lot’s of useful information on places to visit and things to do. We were particularly grateful for his tip on the best restaurant in Phuket. – The Boathouse in Kata Beach. This is a fine dining experience at it’s best although a little expensive by Thai standards.

Rooms. Again, I’ve read plenty of negatives on here about the rooms. Ours was excellent. (A deluxe Spa, Ocean Facing on the 3rd floor of Block 8). Plenty of space, a superb rainwater shower and kept spotlessly clean by the house keeping staff.

The Spa. My wife enjoyed an excellent afternoon of pampering in the hotel’s wonderful spa. As a regular user of spas she said the Centara Grand was about the best she had ever experienced. She spent about £90 (UK) on two separate treatments and said it was the best money she had ever spent.

Other facilities. We were a little disappointed on how underused many of the hotel’s excellent facilities were, especially in the evening. The restaurants seemed extremely quiet and there were a number of occasions when we were the only ones in the Luna Bar. Some have complained that the hotel is expensive. I would disagree. It’s a five star hotel and is therefore less cheap than some of the restaurants and bars in the surrounding area. I always say you get what you pay for and I don’t think that £3 is expensive for a beer in such a classy hotel. I’ve certainly paid more in less pleasing surroundings. A good idea for the cost conscious is to take advantage of the various happy hours around the bars where drinks are “two for one”. We ate at the Beachcomber restaurant (twice) as well as the Cove main restaurant for the excellent Thai buffet. On each occasion the food and service were excellent and good value for money.

Breakfast. How anyone can complain of lack of choice at breakfast is beyond me. There is a superb range of food available that should satisfy the most discerning palate. The egg station was particularly good where omelettes, scrambled or poached eggs were cooked to order. There was also a full range of cereals, pastries and other cooked options available.

Negatives. Our only concern was the pedestrian access into Karon. Although not far, you could either take the shorter beach route that involves wading through a small stream or the longer road route that involves a rather hairy stretch where there is no footpath for about 100 metres. Obviously the beach route is out if you are dressed up for the evening and the road route can be quite dangerous especially if you have young children in tow. I’m sure the hotel have looked at this but would it be possible to construct a small bridge across the adjacent river and link up with the pedestrian path that runs parallel to the beach into Karon?

Conclusions. Would we stay at the Centara Grand again? – Most definitely yes. Would we stay at one of the other Centara Hotels? – Again most definitely yes, especially if they are as well run as this one.

Room Tip: High level rooms have the best views
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed at the centara Grand for 15 nights in December 2014. I have given the hotel 5 stars because it would be unjust of me to mark the hotel lower than that because it does everything that it says on the tin, it has the best location on Karon beach and some things it truly excels in , such as the Private Dinner, Thai cooking class and kids entertainment. Of course the hotel is not a 5 star property in the same way as the six senses, four seasons, Sri Panwa to name but a few are, howvere for value for money, location and staff friendliness it deserves my rating.
here are some useful tips:
1) Hotel has 9 buildings housing the rooms, block 9 is the best, it has the best views, is right on the beach and is away from the road. Avoid blocks 1, 2 and 3. The hotel is built into the side of the hill and has an extremely busy road at the back with large lorries etc lumbering up a steep hill. All three of these blocks experience road noise, particularly noticeable at night. If you get a room in one of these blocks they all have good views however as they are higher up, block 1 also overlooks the hotel car park- yuk!! The best rooms are one of the 18 Spa deluxe Corner rooms, all of which are on the top floors, if you cant get block 9 go for block 6 as it is the next best. Dont waste you money on a pool room as these are all on the ground floor and other than blocks 1-3 have no view and people peering into your room all the time.
2) The Spa is great, ranks up there with the very best, massages are good and in my opinion not at all expensive for all that you get.
3) The private dinner is truly excellent and worth looking into for a special occasion- e-mail the hotel and they will send you details of the venues that they can set up and the Lobster Meal that we had from the Mare restaurant was fabulous- cant recommend this highly enough.
4) Thai cooking class was excellent, good value for money, professional, fun and a great trip into the market in Patong to buy the food.
5) Great facilities for kids- we didnt have ours with us but all that we saw seemed happy and so did the parents who were able to relax whilst the kids were entertained. In the end we stopped going to the adult pool becasue it was boring, preferring to sit near the main pool and watch all of the activities going on- there is a teens club as well as a youngsters club, jumping rocks and lazy river-lifeguards-happy kids- what more could anyone ask for?
6) Great restaurant on the beach to the right for lunch and dinner as well as drinks and ice cream when wanted- recommended
7) Lovely beach and water area, two rivers running into the sea adjacent to the hotel, which can smell at litter at times, particularly after heavy rain.
8) Close to town- 10 minute walk- and pleanty of great eating venuse. Great to see that dinner and drinks for 2 can still be had consistently for under 500 baht (£10) with a tuk tuk journey anywhere in the town for 200 baht.Restaurants worthy of mention are Yings, Two Chefs (live band every night) and red Onion. Our favourite tow though were El gauchos in the Movenpick Hotel and on the rock in Marina Hotel- bothe excellent food for 1000 baht and more sophisticated ambiance.
9) One word of caution- the initial walk out of the hotel towrads the town is down the hill on the road with no footpath- a dangerous experience- hotel needs to buold a path along the beach that navigates the river with a bridge, so that guests do not have to run this gauntlet!!

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it - enjoy

Room Tip: Pick a top floor Spa Grand Deluxe room
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

We stayed at centara grand for 6 nights. The staff were very friendly and check in was quick (they took us to our room earlier than expected). The manager at the main lobby did a great job with assisting us change our room for one with a better view when we asked. I would particularly like to commend the staff at the kids club as they were so nice and good with my son and he really enjoyed his stay. The restaurant staff were also very friendly.
The performance/dance at the restaurants were great and entertaining during dinner.
The worst part of our stay was the attitude of the lady at the spa reception. She was very rude and refused to attend to me. She was typing on the computer and did not even look up when talking to me. I ended up walking out without a massage.
Other than the spa lady, the rest were extremely nice and always smiling. My overall experience was good.

• Stayed December 2014
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Idekpo,
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay.

I am happy to hear that our employees in the kids club and restaurant looked well after you and that you enjoyed the performance/dance during our buffet dinner. I apologize for your disappointment in the spa reception service and will ensure that your feedback is followed up appropriately in order to be able to continue to deliver the very best service to our guests.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back at our resort in the near future.

Kind regards,
Martin

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!