“Beautiful resort with beautiful staff and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Karon
4.5 of 5 stars 1,260 Reviews
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
“Beautiful resort with beautiful staff and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 8 nights. The service was outstanding, the moment we arrived at the airport our taxi was waiting for us where they took our bags and we got into a nice air conditioned vehicle. We arrived at the resort where they took our bags, we waiting in the lobby which wasn’t air conditions, but we got a lovely cold fresh juice while we waited for our room.

We arrived at our room (quite a hike from the lobby or taxi drop off). It was lovely and had a view of the ocean and the pools. The room was clean and made up lovely. We booked a room with a Jacuzzi, but our Jacuzzi didn’t work. So we had to go down to the lobby and wait for them to arrange us a new room which took over an hour, we were a little mad as we were just sitting there wasting time. But once that was sorted we got a new room and it was just as lovely. About 100m closer to the lobby also.

The breakfast buffets were really great. Catered for everyone of different nationalities.

Althogh there wasn’t enough variation in food everyday. And you get a little bored of eating the same thing everyday. Also, the children running around the tables and too and from the food was bad. They bumped into you and got in the way, they were also very loud. Other than that it was brilliant. The pools were great, the infinity pool was nice and quite over looking the ocean. The others were really great and warm. The weather was awful when we stayed which ended up flooding our balcony which meant we couldn't use our Jacuzzi. The resort was lovely, a little overpriced, but great. The staff were all beautiful people and made you their number one priority. The majority spoke really good English and they all said hello when passing.

Would mainly recommend to families with young children.

Room Tip: This is overall a great resort for anyone but it is very family oriented.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Cameron J

We are extremely happy to know that you had a great time with us from the airport pick up service to the end of your stay and that the inconvenience of room move did not impact your over all holiday.

We all hope to see you again at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

10 days in heaven (started on July 5,2013). Family of 4 in room 636 (your std entry level 'dlux' room). The room was spotless, great view, well located, tons of storage, well equipped and was definately luxurious beyond our expectations. Weather was senstational. It rained a couple of days pre 8am (who cares) and it 'spat' about 5 drops on 2 other days (again, who cares), for the rest of the time it was sunny or sunny / cloudy (just enough cloud to take the edge off). Resort location is perfect for families. It is on the beach (rare ), far enough from Karon for an easy walk (along the beach) or a short drive to Patong (note free resort provided transport provided at certain times) and you dont have to battle your way through the armies of touts to get from your hotel to the beach. Staff were great, responsive and happy. Met some great people as well. Was so sad to have to leave.
Note: You hear some bad stories about the 'dangerous beach'. Its about being smart. If you are drunk, can't swim or you swim alone then any beach is dangerous. There were a couple of days we avoided the beach as it looked dodgy (rip's) but on other occasions we had a great swim and boogie board and never felt unsafe.
One strong suggestion... the businesses in Karon need to realise that the Beach and Foreshore is their best natural asset. Get together / organise and 1. Get prominent (brightly coloured) rubbish bins (resorts, beach and streets). 2. Regularly sweep for rubbish and clear bins. 3. Let businesses that dump rubbish at sea or in creeks (that washes up) know how they are effecting their business as well as yours. 4. Make it known in the Thai community that dumping rubbish in the streets is unacceptable and directly effects their business and finally, 5. Make all visitors aware that dropping rubbish and butting out cigarettes on the street or beach is unacceptable in Paradise!

Dear Ron W

How wonderful to read your review. Thank you for taking your time placing this. Also, thanks for your suggestions regarding Beach & Foreshore. We now have placed rubbish bins on the beach and beach cleaning is being done daily.

We all look forward to welcoming you again for another pleasant experience.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a wonderful time here. Big room with private pool and garden view, only a few steps from our room is a water park, lazy river, sliders etc. I enjoyed breakfast with huge variety and also dinner seafood and Asian food. We took a free shuttle bus service to patong beach but found nothing interesting but tons of tourist trap restaurants and shops, so we spent most of our time here in the hotel.

Room Tip: Room with private pool is really great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear alisra007

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed the resort's facilities particularly the variety of breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you once again at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket soon.

Hua Hin, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We spent 4 days at the resort mid-june with my wife. The resort is located at the end of Karon bay (north) which has its little 'private' part of the beach with their own sunbeds on the beach (which is quite rare in Phuket as usually it is full of 'plastic umbrellas' owned by locals. As there was quite a lot of waves during that period, we used the pools instead. The main pool is located next to the beach and offers pool bar, jacuzzi and sunbeds all around, even on a little stretch of sand. There is a part dedicated to 'fun games' with sliders, lazy river and 'jump from the cliff' which is quite fun not only for the younger ones... :)
In terms of food & beverage, during breakfast, the spread of the food had a lot of varieties and the service was good and attentive. We also had the chance to stay during their 'Sunday Brunch' which happens every 2 weeks. The food was amazing.!!! from the appetizers to the desserts. We could really see that they achieved a very nice buffet theme as the restaurant was full!! We were welcome by the Executive Assistant Manager, French national, who offered us a glass of sparkling wine! nice touch!
For the room, we had a nice standard room located on the 3rd floor, facing the sea. The room was quite big for a standard room with a spacious balcony and opened bathroom. I would suggest to have a stand to dry the clothes(swim suits, towels) on the balcony.
We also used the 'Spa Cenvaree' during 1 afternoon. Very relaxing and professional services! Of course it does cost more money than other massages in town but at least you are sure to receive a good treatment in a relaxing atmosphere.
Overall, I would recommend this resort for couples and families. Location is also great if you wish to discover Phuket.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors
Dear pilou_11

We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your holiday with us. Thank you for the kind comments regarding the hotel location, our room, water facilities, food & drinks and the very relaxing and professional services of Spa Cenvaree.

We very much look forward to seeing you again.

Freshwater, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Before I started writing my review of the Centara Grand I first read some of the recent reviews that have been posted on trip advisor as I wanted to make sure that I was being fair and not vitriolic in my remarks. The negative reviews I've read I generally agree with however in terms of rude staff I completely disagree. Every issue we had was sorted through with a smiling face, sometimes communication was an issue but I am in Thailand not Australia, so I can't expect staff to have english as their first language so a little bit of patience and tolerance was required.
Rooms
We arrived late on a rainy night, staff greeted us politely but we were told the interconnecting rooms we had requested were not available. I had emailed and phoned the resort direct to try and guarantee we could get these as our children are only 5 and 7, my travel agent emailed also. We did get a reply email stating these rooms could not be guaranteed, so fair enough. My husband tried calmly to explain the kids were too small to be in a room on their own so we were offered to upgrade to a two bedroom villa at our own expense however the villa would not be available for another three nights. We took them up on their offer as my husband and I wanted to sleep together and not share a bed or room with the kids.
Upon further investigation it appears the interconnecting rooms that are advertised are not what they seem. An interconnecting room by a standard hotel definition is a door inside the actual room separating two rooms, not a door on the balcony which you need to walk outside to get through. How am I supposed to hear my children through the wall? I also can't leave the door open because of mosquitoes. It is very misleading advertising. Had we'd known these proper interconnecting rooms didn't exist we would never have booked. I'm assuming our travel agent wasn't aware of this as well and am surprised that not more comments have been made on trip advisor regarding this.
The next morning we went down to organise the payment for the two bedroom villa and were getting very frustrated as the hotel was trying to bill us for another 5 nights based on the two bedroom villa rate which is alot more expensive, on top of what we'd already paid which was quite alot.We tried to calmly explain we had already paid for 5 nights with 4 thrown in for free through the deal we'd gotten so we only wanted to pay the difference in upgrade. This took a good half hour to clarify and negotiate with a couple of calls to the manager as we were getting agitated. They eventually understood and we were happy.
The two bedroom villa was lovely and for the price difference it wanted to be. The only issue was you couldn't sit by the private plunge pool from around 3pm as the sewerage smell was too strong. Apart from this all was well. The villas are definitely 5 star but I would say the other accommodation is more 3-4 star.

The Pools
Pro's
The star of the resort by far is the pools. The children had an absolute ball in them, the slides, the rock jumping and the lazy river, all patrolled by lifeguards who made a point of remembering their names. The adult only pool was a bonus too.
Con's
The lazy river could have more flow, I noticed the quality manager mentioned in a reply to a previous review that 6 new jets had been installed. These didn't appear to be working during a our 10 day stay and if they were they need more oomph. There was a general lack of pool towels and pool chairs for the amount of guests staying. We figured out pretty early on to get down to the pool straight after breakfast to obtain these as on quite a few occasions I noticed guests being told they would have to use their bath towels as they had run out. By midday alot of guests were wandering aimlessly trying to find somewhere to sit.
The Spa
Pro's
Professional staff in a relaxing atmosphere. 5 star environment.
Con's
On the expensive side and poor commuincation. There was an incident where I went to use my "my time" voucher of 1500bht. When I booked my manicure/pedicure I mentioned to the girl that I had a voucher and she said no problem. Then halfway through my treatment I was told that the voucher was only valid for massages, so I had to pay $80 for something I was only getting because of the voucher. Needless to say I wasn't impressed.
Not enough restaurants and lack of variety of food choices in general. For breakfast you have to arrive prior to 9am, if not you'll be waiting a while to be seated, waiting for tea and coffee service,etc. There just wasn't eough staff to cater for the amount of guests.
On our last evening we decided to dine in at the resort and ate at the brazilian buffet so the kids could watch the dancers. At 1am, my husband became violently ill with food poisoning, we had been at the resort all day so even if it hadn't been what he'd eaten for dinner that night it was most definitely something he'd eaten at the resort. I just thank my lucky stars that neither myself nor the children were sick. Our transfer to the airport came at 11:30am, I had rushed into the pharmacy first thing in the morning to see what medicatioin I could get to help him but nothing worked so a doctor was called in. He arrived promptly and ended up giving him a shot so he could fly. I became quite irate when the resort expected me to pay for the near $300 bill and said I could claim it on my travel insurance. Considering my husband contracted food poisoning from the resort I was outraged and refused to pay and demanded to see the manager. Why should we be inconvenienced by their lack of hygiene. In the end Denis the manager took care of the bill and they refunded my husband's meal. I'm just grateful he could make the journey home.
So now that you have read my review, I guess you can make up your own minds in regards to whether I am over reacting. All I can say is that we are well travelled people who know what to expect from a 5 star resort and unfortunately the Centara Grand does not deliver. For the prices that are charged they really need to up their game. They are all little things that can easily be fixed however they are issues that you shouldn't experience in a 5 star resort.
I would like management to give a pat on the back to Tai and Pat in the kids club, Peanut the lifeguard and Bow and Beedee the administrative staff who were all professional, helpful, gracious and tolerant. This is the type of staff you need to employ, encourage and retain.

Room Tip: the villas
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Hamblini.

Thank you for your review and the wonderful comments regarding our team members and in particular, Tai, Pat, Nut, Bow and Beedee. They will be delighted to hear that they contributed to the enjoyment of your holiday.

We are sorry that you had difficulty regarding connecting rooms. All of the major travel agents using our hotel are aware of the nature of the room connection and that they are not suitable for families with very small children, if you want them to sleep in a separate room.

Our lazy river is now becoming increasingly active with the repair and replacement of worn-out pumps and the arrival of new replacement towels is alleviating the shortages you mention. Likewise an additional number of sun loungers are being deployed.

Again we apologise for any confusion regarding the use of your voucher in the Spa, however the voucher does clearly state that it is not valid for beauty treatments and can be used for spa therapies only.

We are surprised that you found a lack of variety and choice in our dining facilities, as most of our guests comment favourably on our restaurants and food.

We were pleased to be able to assist you regarding your medical expenses however, due to the prevalence of intestinal problems around many resorts in Phuket, medical expertise suggests that the majority of illnesses are caused by human to human infection and not through food contamination. We hope your husband recovered well.

Thank you again for your review.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at this resort,we were a group of 10 family members.
At check-in we were greeted with welcome drinks and shown to our room (211).We had a deluxe pool suite with the added bonus of a side balcony area which was great for all of us to gather in the evenings.The room was clean and big enough for the 4 of us,and the kids loved the plunge pool.I agree with some that there were sometimes only 2 towels,however our cleaning lady Koy was amazing and always brought more towels when we asked,and always asked if there was anything more she could do for us.We did have a few power cuts during bad weather but they only lasted a couple of minutes and certainly didnt impact on our holiday.
Food-buffet breakfasts were good with good choices of all sorts of foods,yes it gets busy after 8:30,so if you dont like to wait a couple of minutes for a table you need to get up earlier or get room service.We ate at Mare 3 times the first couple of times were great but the last time was not so good with dishes being served at different times,however a free bottle of wine was presented along with lots of apologies.Lunch at Beachcomber was also not great,long waits for food that sometimes didnt arrive at all,however we did speak to the f&b manager and it seems like they are really working on improving.
Happy hour at Luna was really good with the friendliest staff and a great singer who takes requests and even lets you sing along if you like.
The pools were good for the kids,however I dont think the lazy river was working properly the whole time nor were the jets in the jacuzzi pool,and this is where we felt a bit let down,we found a lot of things not working that really should be for such a young resort,although there was a lot of maintenance work being done in many areas.
Some people have said staff are rude,this is absolute rubbish,not once did I come across a member of staff that was rude,treat people as you would like to be treated and try learning a couple of thai words.Every staff member we met would smile and say hello or sawadee.
We used the spa,which was bliss,and the tennis court on the roof(just tell the kids not to hit the ball too hard as its a trip back down in the lift and a hunt in the bushes to get the ball back)
All up a great time was had by everyone,and we would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great on the beach place in Karon.

Room Tip: block 2 sits higher so pool suites have views of the ocean,and is in good proximity to reception and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear jut1702

Thank you very much for taking your time placing the review.

We are glad that your over all experience at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket was a pleasant one and the small issues did not impact on your holiday.

Hopefully we will see you back in the near future.

Stockholm, Sverige
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice hotel in a great location. Many misunderstandings due to the staffs poor english skills. Cleaning staff did a good job but seldom had fresh towels to give us. Towels and linens were often threadbare and stained.
Breakfast room noisy and not enough staff to keep up. Long lines at the eggstation.
Very nice italian restaurant and a great spa.
Adults only pool nice and quiet. The water in the family pool looked green and cloudy and definitely wasn't clean.
Both me and my partner got sick at the hotel, with some kind of stomach bug. When we spoke to another couple by the pool they told us that they too had been sick and pointed out several other people by the pool that they knew had been sick as well. This is by far the worst 5-star hotel I have ever stayed at and I would recommend anyone who's planning to stay here to think again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear J S

Thank you for your review which unfortunately is contrary to the experiences of the majority of our guests.

You make reference to the poor English skills of the team members and misunderstandings this may have created but provide no specific examples of where this may have affected your holiday nor did you raise these issues at the time.

The majority of our front of the house team member possess sufficient language skills to carry out their role effectively. You are however, in Thailand and the ability to communicate is a two way process.

We are pleased you enjoyed the adult pool and Mare restaurant and found our Housekeeping team member efficient.

Breakfast time can be busy, particularly the egg station. I apologise for this.

Some difficulties regarding towel supply has now been addressed.

Our pool is maintained and checked for water quality on a daily basis and the sickness bug you mention is strongly believed to be viral and is affecting a number of hotels on the island.

Quality Manager

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!