“Wonderful memorable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Cape Town
“Wonderful memorable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Centara Grand in April and had a wonderful stay. Our rooms where beautiful and the views were spectular.We felt like we had arrived in paradise. Having a private beach and being secluded was definitely a benefit and made it more relaxing. Breakfasts were great and so where the meals from the beach bar. We will definitely be back and next time with our children.
The only suggestion I have is to offer transfers to a more central point in Ao Nang and not just the pier.
Thank you for a wonderful stay we will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Papamoa NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We are currently staying at this resort so thought I would post my impressions whilst still here. Is this 5 star in sense of what we think 5 star is. No but it is a solid 3 and could easily be a 4 with some fine tuning. The family pool area is lovely but like most public areas here need some serious upkeep now before they are beyond repair. All the public paths and bridges are dangerously slippery when wet I can imagine some people get injured. We constantly hold our boys hand as it is that easy to slip. I can see a permanent solution would be expensive but they could start with at least some sort of grip on the bridges particularly the one leading to the amazing slides and jump area where I have seen many kids fall. It is low season but we are paying guests too and I get frustrated when the lazy river is turned off for most of the day and they only have 6 tubes to share amongst many guests. Pool service where is it how does it work. Again I am sure they have god high season practices but seems inconsistent in low season. Pool bar is manned but I went to get a drink and the guy was picking his nose for all to see. The greenery around the pools is gorgeous but as a parent they need to chop some back so we can see into the pools otherwise we have found unless you get prime seating you need to be in the pool to see. I know the beach is public but the resort seems to be shrouding the pool area from beach so feels disconnected. Adult pool is elevated and greenery clear and has stunning views over ocean. Kids club is great with lovely ladies just needs a couple of extras like a high lock on door so parents wait outside and kids cannot open door themselves as it is right next to pool. Also please management provide a platter of fruit for morning and afternoon tea. This is only resort I have seen that does not do this for kids. As we cannot send morning tea with our child due to fear of allergies to others they either starve or need to get picked up 2 hourly for a top up feed. This would allow a weary mum to get a long spa treatment without worry or some r&r by the pool. That way parents could have a decent morning or afternoon session as you must pick up for lunch. The movie nights are a great idea. The rooms are lovely and I see lots shut up for renovation already... Please traveller request high floor if you do not have a plunge pool as first night we were directly above a family rightly so having a lovely late night dip but with noise level they may as well been in our bedroom - yes noise travels up. We promptly asked to be moved and were after a bit of run around. The corner rooms I think would be worth the extra but despite seeing lots of empty ones we were told not available even though I offered to pay. Aprt from block 1 ( right next to reception)!most blocks would be fine location.Yes food it is expensive but is also nice and I could see in high season with all doors open and outdoor seating available it would be lovely. We three are laid up in bed with gastro ( not hotels fault) assumption being that bug going around. I called house keeping and straight away room was cleaned lots of fresh towels and offer to see the nurse. Well done... So my review is less for the traveller and more for management please value your low season guests make some small changes they would make the difference. Life guards and kids club ladies you do a wonderful job keep it up. Two final points that would help a lot there should be constant FREE shuttle into karon it is ridiculous to pay and wait for taxi to take us 5 minutes up the road and the spa should have low season specials that you can see at other resorts in area buy one get one free. Better to have busy spa than guests leaving to seek out treatments elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Marie L

Thank for your extensive review.

Many of the issues you raised regarding maintenance problems have been or are being addressed, for example the replacement of worn out pumps on our, now, not so lazy river and we have taken steps to ensure that areas affected by the rain are covered in non-slip matting.

Your comments regarding the quality of our food, the rooms and the responsiveness of our housekeeping team members and service from the Lifeguards and Kids’ Club attendants is most welcome.

The external doors on the Kids’ Club adjacent to the pool are kept constantly locked, with only the front entrance accessible.

We do offer many low season promotions in the Spa, which has recently been almost full to capacity. I will ensure that your remaining views are considered by our Management team.

Sorry to hear you succumbed to a sickness bug but I hope you recovered to enjoy the remainder of your holiday. If you consider returning I am sure you will see many of the improvements we have made.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place was fantastic. We stayed for six nights. Food was amazing, staff very friendly and the location best in Phuket. Alot of resorts state they are beachfront but they are in fact across the road, this one is right on the beach and a very good spot. Always spotless, despite the bad weather. Thanks for a great stay :-).

Room Tip: Pay extra for a better room - although all are lovely it's great having bigger space.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear OrewaQueen

Thanks very much for placing a great review. We are all extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next holiday in Phuket.

Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights. We loved it! Staff were friendly, buffet breakfast was a wide range and delicious, plenty of pools and a private beach.

The Cernavee spa is great for relaxation and the staff are very professional.

It was an enjoyable stay and would recommend to anyone to stay here. Only a 300-400baht taxi to Patong.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear SICMOR11

We are so delighted reading your kind review that you enjoyed our breakfast, water facilities and the friendliness of our team members.

Our award winning SPA Cenvaree offers a luxurious venue for traditional aromatherapy and therapeutic massages.

We look forward to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have just returned from a two week stay here and can't recommend the resort enough. My children loved the pools, the life guards (who were awesome and knew where they were at all times), our room and kids club. The rooms were clean and we had a maid service every day. The cove and mare restaurants were expensive compared to eating in Karon Beach or Patong but its a resort - what do you expect? I used the gym and participated and classes every day with helpful friendly staff. During our stay my daughter had an accident and the resort staff went, in my opinion, above and beyond. They took us to and from hospital numerous times and checked in every day. I can't thank them enough.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear pither1

Thanks so much for your post about the recent stay, particularly our team members. This means a lot to them as they strive hard to provide a wonderful holiday experience for our guests.

We really hope that your daughter is getting much better now. We look forward to seeing you again.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

After my trip in Thailand, where I've been to Chiang Mai and Bangkok, I stay at this hotel during few days before come back home. This place is really great and all my family realy enjoyed it.
Thirst of all, the check-in was very fast and we discover our beautiful rooms with view on the sea. Room was spacious and very clean which is appreciable when you have young kids. You have all the installations you need and even more for holidays !

The breakfast was really amaizing, with a hudge buffet ,where you can find western food and discover asian dishes... The service was smooth, and the staff very nice, everytime checking after my children and speaking with us.
The location is good, because you can have access to the beach and it's not too far from Karon and Patong if you want to visit.
You can also enjoyed the spa, where massages are so great ! My kids really liked the pool area and the kid's club!
We went outside to eat sometimes, but Mare restaurant and The Cove buffet are really good and not to expensive for all the familly. And all the staff was wonderful !
I will recommend the bar upstair, (Luna) where you can see the sunset at 5 pm and enjoyed the Happy Hour !

It's was a great location and a great hotel, it was really hard to leave it !
But I will come back again for sure !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Catherine312659

Thank you for staying at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket while visiting Phuket recently, we are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay.

The hotel offers great facilities for both couples and family with kids. The Luna bar features a large outdoor terrace with lounge-style seating and an indoor bar and lounge, it is a perfect place for sunset during happy hour!

Looking forward to your next stay 

Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The resort was right on the beach at the quieter end of Karon, only a 10 minute walk to Karon itself. It was perfect for us with 4 and 5 year old girls. There were so many swimming pools that the kids could stand up in, two water slides, a lazy river and a jumping pool (from an elevated level). The kids club was fantastic, being complementary it was awesome (you only paid for certain activities like the movie night and painting), this meant there were more kids attending so ours wanted to go all the time. They had a schedule of activities to keep them occupied. It was great to drop them off at 9am so we could have an hour to ourselves, pick them back up for a swim, then take them back in the afternoon for a break from the sun whilst we could enjoy a cocktail by the pool, perfect. One of the kids club carers Rose was lovely and clearly adores all the children.

There was also nightly entertainment outside on a stage on water from 8pm-9pm, the kids loved this too and it was great because we'd ensure we had a table outside overlooking the stage and the kids would join the other children in watching and dancing along to the show whilst we could relax over dinner and drinks.

We did have an issue with the room on arrival, we booked for a family of four and were given a room with one bed, when I called to ask reception where the children were meant to sleep, he replied with "how old are they?" "can't they share the bed with you" from which I promptly replied "urm, no". The room also smelt of cigarette smoke so strongly so we were moved to a better room with two double beds. After we managed to get towels delivered as there weren't any, we were given a complementary fruit basket and a letter of apology for the inconvenience of having to move rooms (we finally got settled 2 hours after arriving), however you get complementary fruit in the room anyway as standard, so a bottle of wine or money towards a meal in one of the restaurants would have been more appreciative. We had a room very close to the beach and it had a spa bath on the balcony, it was amazing to sit in the bath looking over the ocean. They aren't really that private though so you have to be aware that you could be seen.

My in laws had a disaster with their room, having moved rooms to be closer to our new room (the grandkids had to be near nanny and poppy), their air con broke down one night. After complaining and two failed attempts to fix it they were told it would be fixed whilst we went on a day trip. It wasn't until we came back in the evening that they realised it still hadn't been fixed and noone had told them, after another night of a very hot room they complained and were moved to another room for the night. Then were moved to the room they first started in the next night but were told a family would be coming in the following night so they would have to move back to the room with no aircon. They refused to move back so after much complaining were allowed to stay. Only problem was the complex is a maze, so they were quite a distance away from us. I find many of the front of house staff can't understand English that well.

All in all the hotel is fantastic for families with young children over 4 (as they can be dropped at the kids club), the food was fantastic in both restaurants, happy hour in the Luna Bar was lovely, albeit service was slow, the nightly entertainment was appreciated and the gym was good. The best part was the view from our room, amazing (we were in room 147).

Tips - don't order a taxi from the hotel, go up the hill to the entrance to the resort and there is a much cheaper taxi rank. There is a great restaurant in Karon called Red Onion, cheap as chips and food is fantastic, it's always packed out.

Room Tip: Room in the first block (nearest to reception) is good, make sure you get one with a spa bath on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear SamDono

We are so glad to read your review and that you enjoyed your time with us including nightly entertainment, water facilities, gym, food at both restaurants, happy hour at Luna bar (noted that service was quite slow), particularly the Kids’ Club.

A King-size bed in a Premium Spa Deluxe room was provided for you since the booking was made only for 2 adults. If we knew the real numbers of your family member, we could have prepared the room accordingly. Therefore, we wouldn’t need to move the other room to be closer to yours.

We apologise for the smell of cigarette in the room, even though we advertise ourselves to be a smoking-free hotel where smoking is allowed only on balconies or terraces.

We are sorry that you found our resort too large while majority of guests give positive feedback on the layout.

The general standard of English amongst our team members is improving, and the daily training is on progress.

We are delighted that your overall experience of our hotel was an enjoyable one.

Quality Manager

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!