“Family hotel,” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Karon
“Family hotel,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has everything, it has the location, beautiful rooms, excellent food, and I cannot say to many negative things about it! As we had a good time, but it was not, what I would call great, for some silly things they fall down on. I could give the hotel in general 5 stars for our overall experience, but it does fall down in too many areas, it did not cause duress, and we could overlook them, but at a 5 star hotel, we shouldn't have to overlook anything!

I have read in a recent review that the hotel was pricey for food and drinks, but honestly I don't agree, I think £100 for a family of four in a five star hotel on the beach is reasonable, you have to remember your location, views and cost to keep the standards up, however this is where you have to to make your own opinion, based on your budget before you book.
I have paid in London £27 for two vodka and cokes, go to Mauritius and double that! we stayed at Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi, OMG £11.00 for a bowl of fries, So I think its prices are what you can expect to pay in a resort of this nature! We are well travelled, and these prices are the norm, it's not Butlins, but anyone reading this can decide for yourself, based on what you are used to, and your own budget. There are a lot of cheap eateries around, so this hotel is affordable, it's as cheap as you want to make it.

The food is very very good! Breakfast lets that down though, it was god damn awful, NOT the food, the set up, it's like a canteen, I balk at going on holiday, and having to stand waiting for a glass for orange juice, they do not, or cannot keep up with replacing bowls, and breakfast items! It's a family hotel, we should have know before we booked, that people who let their kids run round a dining room are going to be there, and they were, picking up the baked goods, fingering them and putting them back! Parents do not go and help their kids, so its a free for all!To get over this, I do believe they should have a booking system, something like 2-4 sittings, and you book the night before? That's a thought, maybe not possible, but beware, we went before 7 after our first experience of the zoo they call breakfast, and had experienced the bedlam! But as I said, our mistake, it is a family hotel! On a good note on breakfast, there is huge choice of dishes.

We had a room close to the reception, which is a good to away from the pools and bars, it had a lovely plunge pool, and enjoyed the soak after a long day, major points on that one. We had lovely tit bits left daily, with a great amount of bottled water which was very good! Unfortunately where there is good point, they fall down with a bad one, most nights we had to ring for towels, and they were never white like you would expect, they were grey, like they had been washed with something that had run into them? Peculiar as I have never been to a hotel that cannot keep their whites white. These are little things we overlooked, as they did not spoil our stay, and when we rang for towels, they came pretty quickly, but we shouldn't have to ring at all.

The open drains in Phuket, can sometimes be over powering around the resort, and other days hardly noticeable. Again nothing the hotel can do anything about, and its all over the island, just some days it's bad around the hotel.

The pool area, whoever designed this area, really did not do a good job, it looks beautiful, it has everything. But it's just so not user friendly! Like previous reviews, try to get a lounger, at the back of the pool, they are in rows, so you sit with total strangers not more than a foot away from you, with your feet in sand, round the side of the pool, they have some loungers in the water, thats good if you read, or have items other than your pool towel! (Stupid idea)the others round the sides are scarce, maybe 20 if that, and people keep the towels from the night before, and put them by the pool before 7am! Regardless of the hotel policy that is plastered on the back of loungers, saying first come first served, or we will remove items if you have not used the lounger within 2 hours. (They don't follow up on that at all)

The beach, well on the website it shows a long stretch of beach, that looks beautiful, it is, BUT only a small part is for hotel patrons, the rest is public! So 3-5 dogs on any given day wandering around is not unusual, they do rake the beach, but don't pick much up, so you can expect yesterday's smokers cig ends lying underfoot, and on one particular day we had to avoid the dog muck! That sounds worse than it actually was, and again, I am a dog lover so could overlook it. Not sure the hotel can do anything re:dogs even if they wanted to. But they can put bins out, put some ashtrays out, the kind with sand so they don't blow away, people are usually good and will use them, If they are close at hand. Beach toilets are not the best, they may clean them regularly, but they always seemed to be a haven for a mess of some sort, water on the floor, and just not as they should be, no air freshener, no nice flowers, so I used the Italian restaurant, again, nothing that spoilt my holiday, or my enjoyment!

The staff well they couldn't have chosen happier friendly people, the Thai people are smiley by nature, but at the resort they cannot do enough for you, I would like to say a big thank you to Thai, he was a really friendly and welcoming member of the hotel staff, Mr Manager, he deserves a thank you from your hotel, he is such a proud member of your staff!
Beach bar staff need a jack up, we never had our order right once, once we waited an hour for a panini, they had forgot to order it, by the time it came we had finished a full bottle of wine! They knew we were a "little" upset this time,and took the food off the bill, they should have paid for the wine to! But I don't think they wanted the manager to know why a bottle of wine was drank and not paid for, did they explain a missing panini lol

Apart from these few minor issues, and which if they sorted out, wow, this would be some place to stay, they would be 100% major player 5 star hotel!

All in all, if I had a family, this would be the hotel to go to, I recommend it highly! As a late 50s couple, it was good, but not up to the standard, of what and where we have been before! We enjoyed it, had nothing that we would "really" moan about, while there, but it's not a hotel I would go to next time I visit Thailand, but neither is Phuket! This is a really unbiased truthful review of our experience, and we enjoyed it, warts and all.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We booked in for a “babymoon” in April 2013 to have a relaxing last get away. It was far from relaxing with the resort failing to mention they would be doing major renovations in the room next to ours complete with duelling sledgehammers shaking the walls and floor during the day. We were not told about the work upon arrival / check in and it was this total lack of upfront communication and acknowledgement that this work was to be carried out every day during our entire 6 day stay between the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm that ruined an otherwise pleasant stay.

It was very hot outside during our stay and being 6 months pregnant, I liked to go for a swim until midday then retreat to the room and air conditioning to get some respite from the heat (most guests seemed to do this), take a nap and then head back to the pool or beach late afternoon when it cooled down. Ordinarily on trips I would be out sightseeing or doing tourist stuff all day but the purpose of the trip was to rest, sleep and relax. No such luck with any of that unfortunately, with the reno work continuing every day.

The offer to move us after we felt compelled to complain came too late (they were booked out anyway). There was no offer or alternatives to get us away from the noise and out of the heat in the middle of the day when we couldn’t use our room and it was way too hot for me to be outside even in the pool where I would have burnt to a crisp.

It wouldn’t have taken much effort (or cost) on their behalf to appease a hot, tired, cranky pregnant woman however it wasn’t until I wasted nearly 2 hours of my holiday in a hot reception area on two separate days trying to find out when the work would be finished that I lost it and pretty much had to beg for them to find somewhere for me out of the heat and away from the noise during the day so I could rest and just read a book.

It was left to me to suggest giving us access to the Club Lounge in the air conditioning until work had finished for the day (only offered for one day). No other form of compensation, room discount or room upgrades was offered by the resort. Flabbergasted by their lack of thoughtfulness and inability to suggest anything, I pretty much had to insist they book us into the spa to make up for not being able to use our room for nearly 8 hours a day - surprisingly they booked us both in for treatments (30 mins + 45 mins) – not much compensation considering the amount we paid for the room.

It did take us a couple of days to complain, mainly because we usually are pretty tolerant and accepting and kept thinking it would end soon. We understand routine maintenance needs to be carried out but this work was pretty major and the noise unrelenting during the day. I think the management team may have thought we were just after freebies. Ahh… wrong, we paid good money for a room that was pretty much uninhabitable for most of the day.

TIP for resort management team: Let your guests know upfront, explain at check in or put together a nice letter explaining what is happening and offer guests token gestures of compensation e.g. daily access to Club Lounge or maybe some drinks or restaurant vouchers (anything that will give them alternatives).

Good Bits:
Great location with easy access to beach
A variety of pools – the adult pool is a great escape from the crowds / kids, floating tubes and waterfall is really good
Breakfast buffet had a great variety of foods and staff very obliging and friendly
Complementary drinking water in room (although I’m sure you pay for it somewhere in your room rate, just nice to have and not have to restock yourself)
Great resort with everything contained in one area (pool, beach, restaurant, bar, activities, spa)
Looked to have great activities for kids

Bad Bits
Lack of communication from management / operations team
Cleaning and room service VERY inconsistent (maybe a daily checklist might help staff with consistency, it was so random)
Breakfast services inefficient and a bit clumsy (kept running out of basics like glasses and spoons)
Walking from resort to town – they could do with a safer alternative for pedestrians up the ramp from the resort and first couple of hundred meters on side of the road
Deck chairs usually all taken by 10:00 am so get in early

Not really to do with the resort but the beach has a lot of litter and rubbish washed up on the shore and although staff clean this up early in the morning, you still have to dodge floating rubbish when swimming in the ocean which is really disgusting (there was a lot when we were there).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms right next to the pool and cliff/plunge pool (kids screaming). Block 9 was good and fac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Myreviews2help

May I commence my reply with a sincere apology regarding the lack of communication relating to the repairs being undertaken during your stay.

As you correctly point out, a letter of explanation would greatly assist in such circumstances. Unfortunately, this was not a planned renovation but an emergency situation with a major water pipe leak behind a wall, so it was not possible to pre-empt the situation. We should have undoubtedly been more forthcoming with information and alternative facilities in relation to the disruption and the difficulties faced with relocating you when the hotel was totally full.

Thank you for comments regarding our location, pool facilities, breakfast buffet, friendly staff and great facilities.

Thank you for your comments regarding inconsistent room service and the ‘clumsy’ service at breakfast. I will assure this is addressed through training and enforcement of our normal high standards.
We are limited with the number of sun loungers we can place around the pool and on the beach and there is a first come first served process. We are attempting to keep the beach as clean as possible and are considering alternative methods to ensure our guests do not add to the problem.

Unfortunately we have no control over the final stretch of roadway you mention, leading to the hotel entrance. There is the alternative option of walking to Karon via the beach or using the free hotel shuttle service or taxis and tuk tuks.

Again thank you for your review. I wish you well on the forthcoming birth of your baby.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

As someone said in an earlier review, take care on which Centara the reviews appertain to. This hotel, the Centara Grand, is the only hotel with direct beach access in Karon. It's located about 1km away from Karon Circle, (about 10 minutes walk or 200 baht taxi ride). The first part of this walk is on a busy road so take care. It soon goes onto a pavement so the walk is generally ok. The taxi and tuk tuk (small open vans not motor cycle driven) rates here are more expensive than Bangkok by some way. It'll cost you 300B to Patong, but having done so, I'd have happily paid ten times that to get away from the place! There is a shuttle from the hotel leaving at 2 and 5, but the 5 o clock one doesn't have a return. Not sure if this is chargeable as we didn't use it. For local journeys the Hotel cars are about 100B more than the taxis at the top of the entrance ramp.

The staff are in the most part very polite and friendly, but I think that dealing with the huge amount of Russians, some of whom can be arrogant and impolite, sometimes affects the demeanour of the staff. One particular diminutive waiter at the Beachcomber bar definitely needs a course in customer relations. Maybe we caught him after a row with the wife!

We stayed in block 3 and although its a bit of a trek to get around, it was quiet, comfortable and clean. The balcony furniture was nice and there's also a fan on the balcony which is useful for the evenings.

The breakfast is ok, if a bit manic and often things run out without immediate replacement, but sitting outside rather than in the air conditioned dining room, does make the experience quite pleasant. There is the occasional wait for a table, but no more than a couple of minutes. It would also be handy if the "please wait to be seated" sign was translated into Russian.

I read that a lot of people don't agree that this is a 5 star hotel and although its very nice, I can understand why, because it does fall short in some areas, but one thing that is unquestionably 5 stars is the price of food and drink!

We came towards the end of April and we had no problem getting a sunbed. It can be more difficult if you leave it late in the morning, but even then, there seems to be plenty around the pools.

We're beach people and here it was clean, totally sandy and the sea nice to swim in. There is an undertow here, not something we experienced, but the swimming flag was always half red, half yellow. Depending on your likes, there are various water sports available. Another plus with the beach is that there are vendors where you can get reasonably priced drinks snacks and massage. A special mention here for the vigilance of the lifeguard. Apart from keeping a constant eye on swimmers, when the Hobie cats were out, he was watching through binoculars for any problems. Please don't think it's dangerous, it's not, but just be aware of the possible hazards.

The swimming pool is good, excellent for children. There's a lazy river plus some water slides that even us oldies enjoyed.

I was initially disappointed that Internet access in the room was chargeable albeit not exorbitant, but these days its not common for 5 star hotels to charge. However there is free access in the lobby and two other bar areas, one of which is the Beachcomber bar whose signal spreads to the beach, so we didn't bother paying any extra, especially as many bars in town also have free access.

At the time of writing Centara are running a promotion whereby if you pay 10000B you get 13000B of services, food and drink. There is a scale that gives greater savings with higher deposits. It's not something we took up, but it might suit some larger parties who can share the cost. Some people have mentioned spurious additions to their bill, we had no such issues.

As a couple nearing retirement age, overall, we enjoyed our stay here. We are so glad we selected Karon Beach rather than Patong, but having stayed in Phuket 15 years ago and having subsequently been to Koh Samui including after this visit to Phuket, I think this will sadly be our last visit to this part of Thailand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul593

Thank you for your honest and open-minded review of your stay at our hotel. Your many positive comments are very welcome.

Likewise your constructive comments relating to areas for improvement will be taken onboard and considered in our improvement programme. You’ll be pleased to note we now have a “please wait to be seated “sign in 7 different languages.

Thank you for your specific comment regarding our beach lifeguard. The safety of our guest is one of our paramount concerns, particularly on the beach and during the April to September period when the seas around Thailand can sometimes become hazardous.

We are constantly looking at ways to provide our guests value for money and our prices remain in line with our neighbouring 5 * resorts.

Should you reconsider returning to Phuket, we would love to have you stay with us again. Good luck on your future travels.

Horsham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Well on first impressions this 18 month old massive complex is nice looking and the welcome slow but friendly. However we were disappointed, first thing that hits you is the cost of its drink and food, you can expect a family of four to, pay approximately at best £100 per night in the Cove restaurant, you can expect to pay £3 for a coke tin and £8 for a Panini and chips at the beach bar. They push the food hard, but the reason is the restaurants are less than 30% due to the price and when you can get a taxi and eat at some amazing places nearby for less than £50 for 4 including drinks or less, just sadly you are sometimes too tired to go out and they have you! Don't get me wrong the quality of the food is excellent. Then should reduce their prices a bit and then they would never look back, excellent breakfast but get there before 9.30 or expect to queue.

Beach absolutely one of the dirtiest grubby beaches I have been to anywhere in the world, actually I feel it’s the worst. I must emphasise this is not the hotels fault, its just people don't care about rubbish and leave it on the beach and to be honest we never used it because of this, its too dirty, even their small roped off area was only adequate.

Pool area is very busy and again by 10am you won't get a seat unless you are down and reserve a seat before this time, best to go down by 9 am find your seats then sadly as in Europe put your towel down. You can always if full get two beach sun beds, just 100 meter walk back to the pool. Tip get your beers and coke from the beach bar (not owned by the hotel) about 50% cheaper and very friendly. (The monkey is ok, its not subject to cruelty it is let off and content, we saw the kindness shown by the owners many times.)

We had several issues while we stayed there, water dripping for the ceiling , quite serious and it took 3 calls and even me assisting the mechanic to solve the issue, we had power cuts when there was lightening, the electrics are a pain as when you take your card out the room, power dies so it was hard to charge anything, tip get two keys , the sewage system or lack of it seemed to rely on a tanker emptying at various times round the complex "not a nice smell for up to 24 hours later". Another day we had no hot water, this was a real pain! The kid’s room Internet did not work, I called down but never saw a repair man came so ended up having a look at the access point was hanging unconnected so I sorted that out and it worked fine afterwards. One area i was concerned is the area outside the cove has wooden planks, many of these were held down with screws that were protruding, and this needs sorting before someone hurts themselves. Also be careful when it rains the place has marble floors which are very slippery when wet.

Even though the hotel is quite new it was looking tired and obviously I don't think the maintenance staff were keeping up. We will be making a severe complaint of this area to the hotel.

Staff, were on the whole nice and helpful, the pool guards were lovely with the kids (especially round the pool, river rapids and at the jump, these staff need a big pat on the back for being so kind to the kids). A few of the pool bar staff were moody and abrupt which is unusual in Thailand!

Bottom line we don't know how this compares with other so called 5 star resorts in Thailand but we feel by USA and European standards its a 3-4 Star and by Dubai standards a 3 star. To be fair it’s a very hot country and 38'C must account for some of the wear and tear.

We were generally disappointed as indeed were so many guests, it would be so east to sort! The Hotel did provide a nice evenings free meal as a "sorry" but really its a holiday upset not cured by one evenings meal!.

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect your room before you accept it. Do book half board in advance not after, as mu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Martin K

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the general friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and the quality of our food.

You highlight the high cost of food and drink but I can assure you that our prices are commensurate to the other 5* resorts in our vicinity.

As you allude to, there was very high occupancy during your stay and this has been the case for the last 6 months. The unfortunate consequence of this is an extremely busy breakfast buffet and the lack of opportunity to conduct all of the renovations necessary. As we are now into the low season, we are addressing many of these issues with a phased closure and renovation of rooms. We do not however, have “sewage” tankers travelling around the property as we have a mains system and as with many locations in Thailand, drains often smell after periods of heavy rain.

The electric key card is used by the hotel as a means to saving electricity, reducing costs and protecting the environment and we have placed special matting in the public area most affected by rainfall and slippery flooring.

We carry out a weekly thorough beach clean and a daily tidy-up. Other measures are being considered to encourage guests to discard their rubbish appropriately. This does not excuse the poor maintenance service you received but hopefully shows we are trying to identify problems and make improvements.

We would be delighted to show you these improvements if you considered a return to Phuket.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We use Tripadvisor a lot for booking various hotels, and even with all the details provided on TA and other sites, we were not sure what the room types and locations would be so I wanted to share our experiences.

We met up with some friends from Australia, and wanted to book two rooms together and in the past have done so with a shared balcony at the Centara at Krabi for example.

Even with a lot of research and a few emails directly to the hotel, we were not sure what we had booked but ended up lucky, thankfully!

After much discussion between us, we decided on what the hotel calls a 'Deluxe Ocean Facing' room type which is their standard room.

The rooms were fantastic and plenty big enough but the balconies are small and in our situation, were not connected.

The hotel is arranged in a horseshoe shape with each block facing the ocean. Each accommodation block is numbered 1 - 9 starting at one end of the horseshoe and ending at the other. Each block has 5 floors so depending on which floor you are on will dictate your view of the sea. Each block/floor is arranged with either four rooms in a line or five, and each room is set up as a king / double double/ king / double double bed configuration, so for us, we needed a king and a room with two double beds so this worked perfectly.

Between each of these four or five rooms, only some balconies connect so in our block (block 4 on the 4th floor), there were five rooms along our 'line' and the rooms were corner room (which is a either a premium deluxe ocean facing room type or a premium spa deluxe room type), followed by a double double which don't have connecting balconies, then a king room next to a double double room which DOES have connecting balconies, then the other corner room which doesn't connect.

So if you want connecting balconies, you are basically in the middle of the line of accommodation. That may not be true for all blocks, but was the case for us.

The same applies to what the hotel calls Pool Suites. So the corner Pool Suites have basically twice the size of the pool of the middle of the line pool rooms, and the hotel calls these either Deluxe Pool Suite (normal size pool) or Luxury Pool Suite (the corner rooms with twice the size pool).

These are not the same as the Pool Villas which are stand alone villas at the side of the hotel.

I'm not sure this explains things but hopefully it will give you an idea as we really struggled with finding anything out and had to leave it to chance when we arrived.

As to the hotel itself, I agree with many other reviewers. Although we were lucky, the hotel admitted to us (when we tried to change rooms), that not only were they full to capacity, but that they had overbooked rooms, so some guests found that the rooms they had booked and paid for were not available when they arrived. Ours was, so we were OK but be advised that this seems to be hotel policy.

Our rooms were lovely although the balcony was small (but OK when combined with next-door), and the pool suites are probably not worth the extra money in our opinion - they are all situated on the first floor of each block so depending on which block you are in will dictate how much of a view of the sea you get.

The general pool is great, especially for kids (and for us adults, who became 'big kids' at the jumping cliff!), with a swim up pool bar which serves food.

The adults pool was also lovely and although smaller, was not busy when we were there.

The spa was absolutely fantastic and is well worth a visit, and if you avail yourself of the Baht Bonanza, it is affordable.

There were a few things we would improve: our experience at the Mare Italian restaurant was awful! The food was so bad it was embarrassing (of dinner for five people, we sent two meals back and only one person finished theirs), and extremely expensive, even by London prices, but then others we met had a lovely meal so perhaps we were unlucky?

The service at the pool bar was extremely disorganised at times: 4 meals all ordered at the same time arrived over the course of 1 1/2 hours for example, but overall the staff at the pool bar and generally everywhere in the hotel were wonderful and made up for the lack of organisation at times.

Would we go back? Probably not as it is a very big resort (although even at full capacity when were there, it never felt crowded and there were always sun beds available for example), and for what it is, we thought it was expensive, but we enjoyed our time there very much.

I would say this is great for families and it has a really nice atmosphere (the staff seem really happy and talking to them, it seems as if the Centara treats them very well), but if you don't have kids, it might be better to choose somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We just returned from a 10 day stay at the Centara Grand with our two children, aged 8 and 6 and I cannot say anything bad about the resort at all.
We had a corner room with a huge verandah and spa, with all of us in the one room and it was beautiful, no complaints at all. Anything we asked for, we received.
The pools were beautiful, huge, and the kids had an absolute ball. The pool attendants were fantastic and played with the kids, knew them all by name and were generally really helpful.
We ate every morning at the restaurant buffet and found the range to be excellent. I have noticed other people saying it was super busy - I didn't find that at all, maybe we went earlier than most!
We ate only once at the Italian restaurant, which was lovely, but didn't try the buffet dinners at all. Instead we would either walk into Karon - about a 10 minute walk, or eat at one of the little restaurants down by the beach - beautiful and cheap.
All in all we had a fabulous holiday at the Centara and would definitely recommend it to others, especially good for families. Yes, it is a big resort, and yes, there are probably some things that could do with minor repairs, but all in all we loved it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

First time to the Centara Grand and certainly won't be the last!! We have stayed here with our 2 children for a total of 10 days (we are on our last 2 night's) and have found this resort nothing short of amazing. Those people who have complained about poor service perhaps need to think about the way they ask for help. Since being here we have witnessed staff go above and beyond to help people out no matter what the reason and on many occasions have been treated terribly in return. The staff are not slaves and certainly do not deserve to be treated like it. The resort is fabulous, from spa staff, cleaners, reception, life guards ( who are brilliant with children) gym staff, bar staff no matter who - they are all amazing and so very friendly. Thoroughly recommend this resort to both couples and families - it is fabulous!!

• Stayed April 2013
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear danjaki

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We appreciate your comments which have been shared among the team.

We really look forward to welcome you back to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket in the near future.

Quality Manager

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!