“miss it already” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Karon
Warragul
“miss it already”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived here on our honey moon and were initially shocked to be told we had to go to another hotel for the first night. Very disappointing especially seeing that we booked and paid 6 months in advance and we were on our honeymoon and we were very tired. So we had to take a room at the Holiday Inn for 1 night in Patong. Not on the beach but nice enough.
But in saying this we were then treated like royalty for the remaining 4 nights of our stay. Noom(duty Manager) looked after us every step of the way and made up for the initial stuff up.We were givin a private pool Villa which was amazing. We enjoyed the service the friendliness and the food. The pools were great and the atmosphere was lovely. This place would be great for kids and we would love to bring our 4 year old daughter back with us soon. We were invited to the managers cocktail night on the Beach and we were able to meet all Denis and Opas the two main managers. Very nice night. The location right on the end of the beach is fantastic. Giving you the privacy of a private beach but allowing you to partake in all the activity's this public beach provides. All in all despite 1 day of our 5 being spent else where I found no faults with the actual resort. It is the booking centers fault when a room is double booked not the resorts. I still give it 5 stars and thanks all the staff for such a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Seanyg79 Warragul

We are truly delighted to read from your review that you had a wonderful honeymoon with us. I am glad that you also like the hotel facilities, food, the friendliness of the staff and especially our great location.

However, we apologise for the inconvenience of not having you stayed with us for the entire period due to the unfortunate overbooking situation.

Many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to having you with us together with your daughter next time.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a marvellous 14 days in Oct/Nov. We are a family of four (2 daughters 6&12) and chose a premium spa deluxe room which was absolutely fine for 14 days. We would go back without hesitation.

Some comments:
I suggest every one forget about the 5 star rating. There is no international star rating system which means that any hotel can rate themselves as they want. Four example The Four Seasons Hotels are 5 star hotels and twice the price of this hotel. Is it reasonable to expect the same standard for half the price? No it is not. Star ratings are just not a reliable benchmark, they are a guide, for example this hotel is clearly better than a 3 star if it is rated by the same company.

Our experience was very positive with all the staff being very helpful and when we had some special request for breakfast it was met with great efficiency on more than one occasion.

For a young family the place is terrific, the proximity of the sea is fantastic and the pools, slides and lazy river will keep the kids entertained which is great for the parents.

The restaurant at the end of the beach on the rocks is where we had lunch which was great. Very competent Thai food and staples for the unadventurous kids. It is about 3 minutes away.

We had dinner in Karon and found The Red Onion to have very good Thai food if that is what you like (we do). If you have a craving for steak try a 'Buffalo Steak House' there are quite a few in the chain.

The Tuk Tuk ride into Karon is 200BHT.

Eating in the hotel is good but about double the price.

The spa in the hotel is fabulous, and the massages excellent, but according to my wife not a place to get you nails done. There are lots of places in Karon for that. The massages on the beach are very ordinary but something you have got to do and they are very cheap for an hour.

There is a pipe which delivers run off water from the desalination plant and you can see it if your room is high enough and looking out to see. It is just water so nothing to worry about. Our youngest got a tummy bug but the rest of us did not. It was handled very well by the hotel and the Dr was with us in 2 hours. This is what happens in Asia and was not indicative of any negligence or unhygienic habits. If it was food poisoning or contagious we would all have suffered but we did not.

For external activities: use Phuket Sails Tours for boat trips. They are excellent. It is worth spending a bit extra here as it will really improve the experience. All of you in the family will enjoy a day at the Water Slide Park. We would have gone twice but left it too late in our trip to repeat.

This is a very good hotel and it is exactly how it looks in the pictures. It is really a family hotel and fulfills on all levels for this. I would not go as a couple wanting a quiet romantic time.

Finally I cannot thank Opas Damrongkul enough, he was fantastically helpful and his attention and kindness definitely enhanced our stay.

We would go back in a blink of an eye.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Right on the beach, we had rooms directly looking onto the ocean. Kids loved the pools & slides. Extensive breakfast. We ate out in the small cafes along the beach which were cheap & delicious so i dont know what evening meals were like. overall we loved our stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in January 2012 and found it enjoyable. The pool and slide area was wonderful and kept our 3yo entertained for hours. The location was perfect - a 5 min stroll to the beach and surrounded by magnificent eateries. The rooms were OK, nothing to write home about and the service was OK too. a little slower than we are used to but not a deal breaker. They seemed a little unorganised around the breakfast buffet when there was an influx of people. For the money I paid, I expected a little more service and a better room...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Facilities at this hotel are amazing and so is the location as well as the rooms but the service is not!
The service by the staff left a lot to be desired epically the pool staff that make you wait at the pool bar for 20mins to get your bill and are rude to kids.
The staff need to be friendly to the guests and go the extra mile for them. You can tell from all of the recent reviews that service is slipping. Fix the long wait at the pool bar there is no excuse for a 20min wait after you have finished your drinks as well as a 30min wait for menus at the poolside. This is not 5* service.

• Stayed February 2013
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Ashleyholden

Thank you very much for placing review. We have looked at all your comments and acted on them accordingly. We are glad that you got to enjoy the hotel facilities.

I do hope you return to stay with us in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I just read the review by pjmouse and am compelled to echo the views.

I have been to Thailand numerous times over the last 20 years and have stayed in many different resorts in Phuket and other areas of Thailand. My experience at the Grand Centara hotel was at best mixed.

First, the good points:

1. The pool and its associated faciliites (the water slides etc.) and the kid's club are great fun. I travelled with 2 young boys, 6 and 2, and I didn't really have to plan anything else but to go between these 2 facilities. They had a ball!

2. Some of the staffs were friendly and helpful, but not all of them.

3. The Italian restaurant was a gem.

4. The spa was good, but they did make me wait for 20 minutes past my booked time (I did arrive 15 minutes before the treatment). The person on duty was constantly running around, acting very busy, while I sat there in the waiting area. I think they have forgotten to notify the therapist I were there waiting already. They did make up for the time, and the treatment was good. And it was a very nice spa.

5. I bumped into their onsite English teacher from the UK. What a great initiative to improve the staff's language ability!

6. The location was great! The beach, the view, the sunset... unbeatable.

Now, the not so good:

1. When we checked in on 13th Feb, it was raining. We were led to our room by 2 staff and had to walk past a short uncovered area to get to the lift. Any other resorts I have been to would offer at least an umbrella, or the better ones would hold up one for us. What I got from Centara's 2 male staff was "Its raining. You need to walk quickly." Seriously?!

2. After we settled in our room, we headed for the pool. I then went to the pool towel counter to towels, only to be told I need to present the "towel cards". I said I weren't given any, and the guy sent me back to reception to get the cards. So I went back to reception, and reception said they had run out of cards. So reception gave me 4 beach towels, and asked that I return them to reception after I finished. So I obliged. But when I returned the towels, the person at the reception (a different one by then) was all puzzled with what I were doing returning towels there. So I explained the whole situation again. He smiled, and turned away. At breakfast the next morning, a service manager of some sort was going around the tables asking everyone whether everything was ok, so I told him about the towel cards. He seemed really concerned, wrote down our room number, and promised to follow up. Nothing happened. So I went to the reception again after breakfast, and explained the whole situation again, and wahlah, got my towel cards, finally!

3. Still on towel cards: The pool closes at 7:30pm, but the towel counter closes at 6pm. So I asked the guy there what should I do with the towels if I left the pool after 6pm. He said keep the towels and return them the next day, so I could get my towel cards back. I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

4. You basically have to ask everything 3 times to get it: Upon check in, we noticed there were only 2 sets of towels in the room. So we asked the 2 gentlemen who escorted us to our rooms to organise another 2 sets for the kids. 30 minutes later, nothing. So we called house keeping and asked for the same. 30 minutes later, nothing. So my wife went out on the corridor, found a house keeping lady, and got the towels herself. This happens with everything: napkins at the restaurant, baby high chair, tea refill...

5. pjmouse mentioned washrooms in the common area being shockingly dirty. I agree. Please read pjmouse's review.

6. pjmouse mentioned the overall resort upkeep being poor. I agree. Please read pjmouse's review.

7. On the last day, 16th Feb., my wife went to the hotel shop to buy something. The floor was wet and she had a fall. The hotel staff nearby stood there and watched, didn't even offer a "are you ok?". A bit rude, don't you think?

8. They seem to be under staff when we were there which was a peak season (Chinese New Year time). At breakfast, used plates were not always collected. One morning, I had to stack them together and bring them to another table which has just been vacated. They regularly run out of plates and cereal bowls, and one morning even brought out a chocolate cake that was still frozen.

9. Although complimentary water was offered in the rooms, they do charge you dearly for water in the restaurants. Beware.

10. There was also some pricing irregularities: For example at pool side, if you asked for an ice-cream, they give you the Haagendazs small individual cup variety, at 170Batt each! At the Italian restaurant, a scope of proper, very well made Italian gelato cost you something like 60-70Batt per scope (I think there is a difference in adult and kid's menu for ice cream). Why would a proper sit down meal cost so much less than a pool side bar?

Lastly, not sure if this one is under Centara's control, but this resort has more mosquitos than any other I have been to. We had alfresco dinning on 14th Feb., at Mare the Italian restaurant, and my 6 year old son got bitten more than 40 times on his 2 feet.

I must say, I still gave it a 3 out of 5 because my 2 sons were really happy there, thoroughly enjoyed the facilities, which is the main objective of the trip. Its just that the service quality did leave a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Deluxe Pool Suites. The "pool" is nothing more than an oversized...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bobby C

Thank you very much for your review we appreciate hearing the feedback.

Our apology for the unpleasant experience you reported on your recent stay, however, this is not what we would expect our guests to have experienced.

In response to your comments we would just like to say that we do incorporate a lot of training into the staffs schedules to make sure the service is always improving in order to maximize guest satisfaction.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you in the near future.

Shanghai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been travelling to Thailand for over 20 years and I have to say that my recent experience at the Grand Centara hotel is the most dispointing. I love travelling to Thailand. I love the food, I love the climate and I love hospitality and the high level of service that is normally present at any hotel or guest house I have stayed. Unfortunately the Centara Grand beach resort disapointed me and did not live up to my or my family's expecations. Here is what was good: The weather , the layout of the property, the fitness center ( equipment), the staff at the kids club. Here is what was missing:

1. Overall ambience of hospitality and guests first - when we checked in we were told that while our rooms were ready, we could not have access to them because there were no room keys... Really? no room keys - I would have thought that having room keys on hand would be standard procedure for a hotel. We booked several months in advance...

2. At 5 star resorts and hotels I expect things to be seemless . I expect that gym will have water on hand when I use the facility. At 2pm in the afternoon, -the gym had no water. At 6am, they had no clean towels. I expect that the plates are stocked at the breakfast buffet, I expect that the water spills on the floor of the buffet are cleaned up within seconds of occuring, not 10 minutes.... I expect the staff to be atuned to the needs of guests. Unfortunately this was not the case.

3. Washrooms in the common area - I expect these to be spotless in 5 star hotels. - the washrooms near the pool and near the out door restaurant were shocking. On one occasion I had to point out to staff that the women's washroom near the pool needed repair.

4.Overall resort upkeep - the website says this this is a new resort . It does not look new. It looks tired. It does not sparkle and does not shine. It looks like it has seen better days. Many of the wate fountains in the pool area did not work, the children's outside play area was under repair for 4 of our 6 days.

This comments may seem trivial to some. However, my point is that the price we were charged was the same as the price we were quoted for other 5 star properties on the island. These other properties are 5 star ( I have previously stayed at them). This property does not compare in terms of amentieis or service.

Room Tip: If you do stay here , ask for an ocean facing room on a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!