“Great location, sub-standard service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Karon
4.5 of 5 stars 1,260 Reviews
“Great location, sub-standard service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I just read the review by pjmouse and am compelled to echo the views.

I have been to Thailand numerous times over the last 20 years and have stayed in many different resorts in Phuket and other areas of Thailand. My experience at the Grand Centara hotel was at best mixed.

First, the good points:

1. The pool and its associated faciliites (the water slides etc.) and the kid's club are great fun. I travelled with 2 young boys, 6 and 2, and I didn't really have to plan anything else but to go between these 2 facilities. They had a ball!

2. Some of the staffs were friendly and helpful, but not all of them.

3. The Italian restaurant was a gem.

4. The spa was good, but they did make me wait for 20 minutes past my booked time (I did arrive 15 minutes before the treatment). The person on duty was constantly running around, acting very busy, while I sat there in the waiting area. I think they have forgotten to notify the therapist I were there waiting already. They did make up for the time, and the treatment was good. And it was a very nice spa.

5. I bumped into their onsite English teacher from the UK. What a great initiative to improve the staff's language ability!

6. The location was great! The beach, the view, the sunset... unbeatable.

Now, the not so good:

1. When we checked in on 13th Feb, it was raining. We were led to our room by 2 staff and had to walk past a short uncovered area to get to the lift. Any other resorts I have been to would offer at least an umbrella, or the better ones would hold up one for us. What I got from Centara's 2 male staff was "Its raining. You need to walk quickly." Seriously?!

2. After we settled in our room, we headed for the pool. I then went to the pool towel counter to towels, only to be told I need to present the "towel cards". I said I weren't given any, and the guy sent me back to reception to get the cards. So I went back to reception, and reception said they had run out of cards. So reception gave me 4 beach towels, and asked that I return them to reception after I finished. So I obliged. But when I returned the towels, the person at the reception (a different one by then) was all puzzled with what I were doing returning towels there. So I explained the whole situation again. He smiled, and turned away. At breakfast the next morning, a service manager of some sort was going around the tables asking everyone whether everything was ok, so I told him about the towel cards. He seemed really concerned, wrote down our room number, and promised to follow up. Nothing happened. So I went to the reception again after breakfast, and explained the whole situation again, and wahlah, got my towel cards, finally!

3. Still on towel cards: The pool closes at 7:30pm, but the towel counter closes at 6pm. So I asked the guy there what should I do with the towels if I left the pool after 6pm. He said keep the towels and return them the next day, so I could get my towel cards back. I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

4. You basically have to ask everything 3 times to get it: Upon check in, we noticed there were only 2 sets of towels in the room. So we asked the 2 gentlemen who escorted us to our rooms to organise another 2 sets for the kids. 30 minutes later, nothing. So we called house keeping and asked for the same. 30 minutes later, nothing. So my wife went out on the corridor, found a house keeping lady, and got the towels herself. This happens with everything: napkins at the restaurant, baby high chair, tea refill...

5. pjmouse mentioned washrooms in the common area being shockingly dirty. I agree. Please read pjmouse's review.

6. pjmouse mentioned the overall resort upkeep being poor. I agree. Please read pjmouse's review.

7. On the last day, 16th Feb., my wife went to the hotel shop to buy something. The floor was wet and she had a fall. The hotel staff nearby stood there and watched, didn't even offer a "are you ok?". A bit rude, don't you think?

8. They seem to be under staff when we were there which was a peak season (Chinese New Year time). At breakfast, used plates were not always collected. One morning, I had to stack them together and bring them to another table which has just been vacated. They regularly run out of plates and cereal bowls, and one morning even brought out a chocolate cake that was still frozen.

9. Although complimentary water was offered in the rooms, they do charge you dearly for water in the restaurants. Beware.

10. There was also some pricing irregularities: For example at pool side, if you asked for an ice-cream, they give you the Haagendazs small individual cup variety, at 170Batt each! At the Italian restaurant, a scope of proper, very well made Italian gelato cost you something like 60-70Batt per scope (I think there is a difference in adult and kid's menu for ice cream). Why would a proper sit down meal cost so much less than a pool side bar?

Lastly, not sure if this one is under Centara's control, but this resort has more mosquitos than any other I have been to. We had alfresco dinning on 14th Feb., at Mare the Italian restaurant, and my 6 year old son got bitten more than 40 times on his 2 feet.

I must say, I still gave it a 3 out of 5 because my 2 sons were really happy there, thoroughly enjoyed the facilities, which is the main objective of the trip. Its just that the service quality did leave a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Deluxe Pool Suites. The "pool" is nothing more than an oversized...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Bobby C

Thank you very much for your review we appreciate hearing the feedback.

Our apology for the unpleasant experience you reported on your recent stay, however, this is not what we would expect our guests to have experienced.

In response to your comments we would just like to say that we do incorporate a lot of training into the staffs schedules to make sure the service is always improving in order to maximize guest satisfaction.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you in the near future.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been travelling to Thailand for over 20 years and I have to say that my recent experience at the Grand Centara hotel is the most dispointing. I love travelling to Thailand. I love the food, I love the climate and I love hospitality and the high level of service that is normally present at any hotel or guest house I have stayed. Unfortunately the Centara Grand beach resort disapointed me and did not live up to my or my family's expecations. Here is what was good: The weather , the layout of the property, the fitness center ( equipment), the staff at the kids club. Here is what was missing:

1. Overall ambience of hospitality and guests first - when we checked in we were told that while our rooms were ready, we could not have access to them because there were no room keys... Really? no room keys - I would have thought that having room keys on hand would be standard procedure for a hotel. We booked several months in advance...

2. At 5 star resorts and hotels I expect things to be seemless . I expect that gym will have water on hand when I use the facility. At 2pm in the afternoon, -the gym had no water. At 6am, they had no clean towels. I expect that the plates are stocked at the breakfast buffet, I expect that the water spills on the floor of the buffet are cleaned up within seconds of occuring, not 10 minutes.... I expect the staff to be atuned to the needs of guests. Unfortunately this was not the case.

3. Washrooms in the common area - I expect these to be spotless in 5 star hotels. - the washrooms near the pool and near the out door restaurant were shocking. On one occasion I had to point out to staff that the women's washroom near the pool needed repair.

4.Overall resort upkeep - the website says this this is a new resort . It does not look new. It looks tired. It does not sparkle and does not shine. It looks like it has seen better days. Many of the wate fountains in the pool area did not work, the children's outside play area was under repair for 4 of our 6 days.

This comments may seem trivial to some. However, my point is that the price we were charged was the same as the price we were quoted for other 5 star properties on the island. These other properties are 5 star ( I have previously stayed at them). This property does not compare in terms of amentieis or service.

Room Tip: If you do stay here , ask for an ocean facing room on a high floor.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was originally booked to stay at the Centara Kata, however, due to overbooking, I was moved to this hotel. We were first moved to the Centara Karon for one night (see separate review on Centara Karon).

Having been upgraded, I was very grateful, however, for an advertised 5 star hotel, this place does not live up to its reputation. Here are some negatives:
1. Rooms are old, unpainted and stained.
2. There was no hot water on one occasion.
3. Cleaning staff do not replenish amenities and additional towels
4. Sand in the toilet was never cleaned from day 1

Some positives that you would expect from a 5 star resort:
1. Easy access the amazing beach, with beach chairs and umbrellas provided by the hotel
2. Excellent breakfast
3. Friendly pool and grounds staff
4. Slides and lazy river make you feel like you're at a water park
5. All rooms seem to have great views of the awesome Karon beach

Apparently the rooms here are very expensive (we were told that it can cost up to THB 18000 so for that price I don't think I will be booking at this resort anytime soon.

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the water slides
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Riaz_Ali

Thank you for your review and comments. Again, thank you for highlighting on our rooms and location, breakfast, water facilities and the friendliness of the staff.

We have taken your points into consideration and we are very sorry about the issues with the hot water and the lack of attention by our room attendant.

I do hope you reconsider staying with us again.

Booleroo Centre, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first overseas holiday, 9 nights in Phuket in late January. Our family of 4 was accommodated in block 9 in a spa deluxe suite. This was possibly the best view in the complex on level 4 overlooking the resort & beach. The breakfast each morning was amazing. The staff were always friendly & respectful. We spent time sightseeing throughout Phuket but were very grateful to return to the resort to relax & regenerate around the pools. Unfortunately a diagnosis since return home for my husband with Dengue fever has put a dampener on our travels, few mosquitos were ever seen, he may have been infected anywhere throughout Phuket

Room Tip: High floor, Block 9 quieter & great views of both beach & resort
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Marie B

We are delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to share such a positive feedback with us following your recent stay.

However, we do hope that your husband will get well soon.

Kristiansand, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I would agree with many of the reviews and experiences of this hotel. Yes, the check-in takes a while and they will try to huzzle you with room upgrades and what not. The rooms are clean and if you have kids I suspect that the pool area would be right up their alley. The location of the hotel is superb even though you need to use a taxi service to go to karon or patong. But, in my opinion, to run a five star resort its not all about the fascilities. The staff is a big part of the experience and the staff in the breakfast restaurant and the Italian restaurant are really letting this hotel down. On both places the staff work very slow and the lack of service and generally not caring for their guests does not suit an hotel of this qualiber. You are lucky if you are given coffe or tea without asking about it at breakfast and if you ask - dont expect a smile or a rapid response.
The Italian restaurant, Mare, is by far the weakest link whatsoever. Great food by the way, visted this place 4 times on my visit here. This is the place were nowone will happily greet you upon arrival even if you would be the only guest in the restaurant and three waitresses would be at work. They are not attentive at all, slow and will never check back with you after the food is brought to the table. Usually we just ate lunch here, but one evening we satt inside for dinner. The service was at the same low standard but the kitchenstaff was also making a lot of noise screaming/arguing to eachother making it unpleasant. I could not see the head chef that day in the kitchen...they probably loosen up a bit then.
All in all they should upper the servicelevel of their staff if they want to be a grand hotel.

Dear Listian

Thank you very much for taking the time placing a valuable feedback.

We do apologise for the lapse in service that you experienced. We strive to provide the highest level of service to each and every guest. Your feedback will be shared among our teams, we therefore will continue to improve the level and quality of our service.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future for a truly enjoyable stay.

Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I travelled as a father on his own with three kids age 8,11 and 11 as my wife was on a business trip. We flew in from Shanghai and arrived at the hotel at 05.00 am on the morning of the 8th February,as it's Chinese New Year holidays! We had an impeccable check in and taken to our room by buggy,which the kids loved.My kids are typical expat ones but not spoiled and they certainly know a good hotel when they visit one! They simply loved this hotel from the start.
we stayed in a luxury pool suite which had great views over the pool aree and towards the beach.
The lazy river ,cliff jump ,water slides and pools combined with the crystal clear waters and perfect beach made for a memorable and relaxing holiday for them and me!
The staff on the pool area in particular the cliff jump and slide etc were just fantastic and I can tel you now my kids and myself are superstar cliff bombers as we got such good tuition.I haven't had so much fun in a looking time!
Restaurants in particular Mare Italian was excellent and we also had access to the Club Lounge which was very very worthwhile.
All staff we met were so polite ,friendly and genuinely happy that it was a joy to interact with them!

I have read some of the negative comments from some posters and simply do not recognise that wew were in the same hotel .I felt compelled to post as we do not always even though we have travelled extensively in South East Asia and Australasia,due to the simple fact that we had a great and fun holiday!
I am a glass half full sort of guy and see life in this mode if you come from the other perspective you will simply always find fault so be warned when you read some of these posts!?

We are now home again in Shanghai and the kids are already pestering us to go again ........soon!

NB just to add that we did unfortunately visit Patong more by accident than intent...........even in glass half full mode it was seedy and rather unpleasant to say the least! OMG!

Room Tip: Luxury pool suites and Club facilities...
Dear TheShanghaiClan

It was a pleasure reading your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that your kids loved the hotel from the start. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our Italian food at Mare restaurant.
Thank you as well for sharing your excellent feedback regarding friendly staff.

We really look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Mexico City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This is not a five-star resort. If you expect that, you will be very disappointed. This is our fifth trip to Thailand. We have visited a variety of hotels in various areas in the country, and this has been our least favorite, and the most expensive, so far. The location is great, the beach is excellent and the rooms are nice. Too bad the service, food and facilities do not match the location.

The service, particularly the check-in process, is horrible. When we checked in, my husband and I were given welcome drinks. We asked for water or orange juice for our two-year old son since we had just gotten off a long flight and hour-long taxi ride, but we were told there was a 200 baht charge. One would think a family resort would be a little more welcoming to its younger guests. We had reserved a jacuzzi suite with king bed, but were given a room with two beds. Our room was directly outside a housekeeper supply closet, and housekeepers stood there and talked loudly in the afternoons while our son was sleeping. The hotel offered to move us, but we were so tired, we decided to stay in the room. The next day, someone called (waking my son from his nap) to ask when we were moving rooms, even though we had told two of their front desk staff members we were not moving. Overall, housekeeping was very slow and unresponsive. We asked for our room to be cleaned, only to return four hours later to find that it hadn't been touched. Management offered us a free buffet dinner to apologize for the inconvenience, which we were reluctant to use since the food quality of the breakfast buffet was so low.

We spent most of our time eating at restaurants outside the resort after disappointing meals in the resort. Although the breakfast buffet had all the elements you would expect (fruit, cereal, pancakes, eggs, Asian and Western options), the quality was very low, sometimes inedible. Bacon was so tough it couldn't be eaten, omelets were runny and raw, and several of the cereals we tried were stale. We had to get up and find waiters to ask for coffee and tea since no one was paying attention.

I was surprised to see in another review that the hotel is only 2.5 years old. It seems much older and worn, and the facilities do not seem well-kept.

Another thing that really surprised us was the unfriendliness of the staff, particularly the front desk and housekeeping staff. On our other trips to Thailand, one of the highlights was always the welcoming and friendly nature of the Thai people. It's one of the many reasons we keep returning to Thailand. However, at Centara, most of the staff we encountered were unfriendly and surly. There were a few exceptions, but overall, we were very disappointed. We salvaged the vacation by trying to focus on the great location, interacting with the staff as little as possible and eating at restaurants on the beach or in town. Next time we return to Thailand, we will not be staying at this resort.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear MexicoCityTraveler

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. I must apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

We assure you that the experience you had is not representative of the service we strive to provide.

Your comments are important to us and we have shared them with our team so that we can improve upon the issues you mentioned.

I hope that you would allow us another opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Quality Manager

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!