“FANTASTIC !! AWESOME !! HEAVEN ON EARTH !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 73 hotels in Karon
Melbourne, Australia
“FANTASTIC !! AWESOME !! HEAVEN ON EARTH !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

WOW !! What can I say, the place is amazing.Everything you want and more. My kids had a fantastic time (8 and 11). The pools, the lazy river, rock jumping and kids club kept them pretty busy. Lifeguards at every pool activity made the kids feel safe. They make an effort with all the kids, they know all the names after one day. Girls at the kids club were fantastic !! AOM Thank you !! We stayed in block 8 which was close to the pool and beach, would highly recommend it for a family. The room was fantastic beautiful, we had fresh fruit everyday, our rooms checked twice a day, and you don't have to worry about bottled water, there is plenty of it !! The resort itself is little out of the way which makes it really peacefully and quiet. It was 15 min walk to Karon on the beach, very pleasant walk. Staff are gracious, kind, sweet and over willing to accommodate you ( big thanks to SAK) Can't really fault it !! We were all happy and we would stay there again any time. One more thing BREAKFAST !! TO DIE FOR !!! you will have a hard time deciding what to eat, you must try the banana roti amazing !!!

Room Tip: Block 8-9 great for families, close to the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear agusiak65

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are extremely delighted that you had a heavenly stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you again soon.

1,087 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Choosing a resort in Phuket is a bit of a nightmare with so many reviews, glossy PR pictures and big promises. After weeks of procrastinating we settled on the Grand Centara and crossed our fingers. We arrived at midnight after snow in England pushed back all flights 16 hours. Our 4 children had been patient but after 32 hours of travelling were ready to lose it. The young woman at reception seemed to be a bit sheepish about our adjoining deluxe seaside rooms and we were concerned she had given them away as we were nearly a day late.

Maybe she could sense our desperation but she said they were willing to upgrade us for about $100 a day. We had read on trip advisor this was a tactic and declined the offer. A quick discussion with her boss and she declared the upgrade was for free with adjoining ground floor rooms with small pools. We remained sceptical and asked if she could show us the rooms before we agreed.

A quick trip on the golf buggy through the resort and we were very pleasantly surprised. A spacious room with king size beds for the adults with marble bathroom and large outdoor deck leading to the deal clincher... our own pool. Oh and one for the kids next door. The lady from reception tried to ask if this would be okay but the kids were already in their pool taking a midnight skinny dip. I said this would be fine and she smiled and headed off.

It was still hard to tell exactly where we were through all the jetlag but it turns out we had a great spot in the resort close to the pool bar but still quiet. The benefit was we could retire from the burning midday sun to our private pools and order food and drink from the bar and they could signal us when it was ready. Once the kids (8-15 years old) ventured further in the resort they all loved the variety of activities on offer with jump rock, the slides, lazy river and water walking in a giant ball. There's also a great rooftop tennis court but play early or late as we tried an 11 am match and nearly died of heat exhaustion.

Of course I had to try the Spa (being a modern man)and let me tell you fellas it was well worth the 2000 baht for an hour long massage. Luck we had a 1000 baht discount voucher.I must admit though I seemed to be the only guy in there and maybe I haven't seen too many Spas but I felt like I had been to a very Zen place.

We missed the inclusive breakfast on our first day (which ran till 11 am ) because we slept in after the long journey. But when we did eventually find the restaurant it was an eclectic mix of cuisines from around the world that had the kids trying something new each day. Not sure who would eat roast pork for breakfast but I soon discovered. The Russians recently discovered Phuket and are there in large numbers along with other Europeans and Australians. The Russian men are a little larger than most and even though they are often accompanied by dainty wives, they also seem to bring mother in laws on holidays. I doubt if many Australians would do that.

In regards to the food we generally dined in Karon town which was a 15 minute walk along the beach or a 200 baht tuk tuk ride from the hotel. There we could feed the family for about 30 Aus dollars whereas the resort was a lot more. The kids favourite place was a beach restaurant right outside the resort in the sandy corner. They had a monkey etc and again we could all dine on Thai food for 30 dollars. Changi beer too was only about $4 for a large bottle.

So of course the holiday was over quicker than it started and while we thought about doing a Phi Phi island trip and other adventures the kids were pretty happy to just hang around the various pools and the beach which was flat and clean. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and the lifeguards quickly got to know all the kids names. The resort is away from the maddening crowd and one of the few with direct beach access and no road in between. There was an adult only swimming pool that looked great but was a little boring really.

I would certainly recommend Grand Centara for families and couples looking for a peaceful out of the way spot. Oh and when in reception...check out the bathrooms, they are very unusual with a waterfall and open roof.

Room Tip: They all seem to have views but the ground floor ones with pools were great but maybe a touch noisie...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Michael T

We appreciate your time sharing such a detailed feedback on your stay.

We are extremely glad that you had a happily stay with us and enjoyed our water activities, tennis, Spa, breakfast, Beachcomber and especially the friendliness of the staff.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just returned this morning after a weeks stay at the centara grand on an All Inclusive Basis. Once the staff were reminded a few times of our board basis things went smoothingly. (apparently not many people pay for all inclusive.) The hotel was lovely, overlooking the ocean and pools from block 7. Room was very clean and bathroom modern. Facilities for the kids are awsome. 5 Pools from adults only to toddlers to oversized kids (mums and dads!) jumping off the rocks. Being all inclusive was brilliant. This included Breakfast (which was a huge array of fruit, breads, cooked breakfast, and pancakes), Lunch - which we usually had at the swim up pool bar and evening meal at the italian, the cove or the beachcomer. All drinks were also included. Great for experimenting with the cocktails! Beach a little disappointing. We went on the elephant treck and the phi phi island tour. Both were brilliant but i must say the phi phi island tour was magical. This eneded our holiday on a massive high after seeing the landscape and feeling like we was in the set of nemo. Downside was all four of us spent a day and night in our room with gastro. Was it the food was it the pool, other patrons, who knows. Beds a little uncomfortable. As far as the hotel is concerned we loved it, the staff are the most friendliest, kindest people who will go to the end of the earth to help you in any way. The lifeguards are hilarious and really seemed to care about the kids and even knew their names after their first jumps!!! Great work everyone. one happy family with lots of memories and stories to be told. Just a couple of tips, take mozzie spray for your room and spray on yourself too during the day. At the airport all aerosoles are confiscated, and getting through to your departure lounge takes a while after about 6 security checks.

Room Tip: block 7 has it all, sea views, pool views and quiet at nighttime
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear donna r

Many thanks for sharing us the happy memories of your family. We are very delighted to know that we are a part of your memorable story.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and to have your next stay another pleasant one.

Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am staying at the Centara at the moment the place is beautiful only 2 and a half years old it is one of the newer resorts , the pool area is a kids heaven with pool sides and lazy river and large pool where you can overlook the sea and lay on lounges while having a drink or some lunch. My kids went crazy over the pizzas which after sampling a few of the items on the menu I considered the best tasting and best value. Breakfast is a full buffet and covers everything you can imagine the rooms are beautiful bathrooms are full marble with a large bath and the shower is magnificient with a huge shower head. The rooms are set up high so we stayed in the 3rd block more in the middle 7 and 8 block are close to the pool be prepared to walk distance or steps to get to your room. While at the pool you can get great drinks at the beach not provided by the hotel but by local venders all good no problems with any bugs The only care is swimming at the beach sewage and waste runs into it and be prepred to get sick if you swim in it .We visited the spa and that is a must amazing.The only thing is this resort is a fair walk to karon beach 1-2 km so be prepared to take a taxi or long walk

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear phillips365

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed our Italian pizzas at the Mare and also breakfast at the Cove, also we are glad that you loved our beautiful rooms, water facilities and spa.

We really look forward to your family's return.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We are currently staying at this resort in a pool room with club facilities, please read on for our experience to date,
Roof panel falling in our room, still not repaired 2 days later
Room dirty on arrival and had to be re-cleaned
No snacks available in club facilities after 7pm although advertised until 7.30
Club room with plenty of complimentary mosquitoes
Waited forever for food in restaurant before leaving having not eaten, returned to room and ordered room service instead
Cove restaurant staff not over friendly and not very attentive.
Lazy river very lazy, water pumps not working.
In spite of the above, great location and beach, local "restaurant" on the beach to the right at the bottom of the hills is great with nice people operating it.
However we feel there is poor customer service in general within the resort.
We will update this report on completion of our trip.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'll start by stating that I would give this place 3 and 1/2 stars but option was not available. I researched alot before choosing this resort for my family and must say I was disappointed overall - not a 5 star hotel but trying...

We stayed in January for 7 nights in a a deluxe room (twin) for 2 adults and 2 children(8 and 6). Check in was efficient with a welcome drink and we got as requested a room near the pools which was a great start.
The room was fine - no issues there what so ever - not much of a sea view because of the trees in the way, didn't bother us but may disappoint others. Housekeeping was quick to deliver enough towels and extra pillows to the room. Sand does get everywhere from the pools and the beach so expect sand in your bed - housekeeping does do a great job in cleaning up though. Shame this resort has too soft pillows! I needed about 3 of them..

I wouldn't really recommend the pool suites as they really have a lack of privacy and they are on the lowest floor of each building.

The kids absolutely loved the pool areas! Slides, lazy river and the water hole jump. Kids club was also popular for them both as a respite from the heat. A lot of the guests felt it was alright for their children to be running around stark naked - a cultural thing perhaps? Staff around the pools for drinks and food were very efficient.

Breakfast at The Cove had a massive choice - banana roti pancakes! Stay away from the orange juice if you prefer the taste of freshly squeezed, a sugary awful concoction is served here! There is something for everyone here. Staff were very good here also.

The beach was really nice - the waves were safe at this time of year and the hotel had beach chairs reserved only for guests of the hotel. There are 2 restaurants off to the side of the beach for cheaper dining options or a 10 minute stroll up the beach to Karon is definitely not too taxing for a bit of shopping - why people complained about the walk is a mystery to me...my kids did it without much complaint.

I'll bring up the dreaded topic of gastro. My eldest son got it day 3 of our stay, husband was next and my youngest got it 12 hours before having to fly home. I will say only that we were Thailand for 10 days previously and had been totally fine elsewhere and that I am totally aware that these things happen. I work as a microbiologist. Something in the pool water,the food or other guests - who knows - we weren't the only family suffering during our stay. A doctor came and gave my son a magic shot that allowed him to take the 2 flights we needed to get home - don't hesitate to call the doctor if you need help for gastro.

Due to the dreaded gastro we had to make use of room service and it arrived as ordered and very promptly - no problems there.

If you are using the complimentary mytime bonus of a spa credit to your room - don't bother. My husband used ours for a supposed 45min free massage and still got charged.This came back to haunt us upon checkout.

Our transport to the airport was to arrive at 1055 and my husband very wisely went to check out at 10am. Official check out time was 12pm so he was early.He had a 35min wait before being attended to and upon querying the spa charge it had taken 3 staff members to call the spa (3 times) and my husband felt like the criminal for trying to get a complimentary massage we were entitled to.
Eventually they waived the spa charge and my husband paid the account. Hooray! Thank you.

By this time our transport arrived and I had bundled 2 children and myself into the car to wait
for my husband and he came out - I thought he was done - nope, they needed to see our travel documents to copy something - arrgghhhh!!!! I had a sick child in the van, two flights to catch and they wouldn't let us go. Even the porter was flitting around urging the reception staff to get a move on. Very frustrating and poorly managed. It left a very negative impression. Have more staff at reception that can handle issues with billing and roster more staff for peak check out times

The Centara Grand is a lovely family resort, we loved the pools and the gardens - just small things had left a negative impression upon us. Would we come back? Hmmm ... not sure is all I'd say for now - other places to visit in this world.

Room Tip: Buildings 6 to 9 are closer to pools and beach area. Only good pool rooms seemed to be buildings 1 a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear helsbellsSydney

Thank you very much for the positive comments regarding our housekeepers, hotel facilities, breakfast, the beach and specially hotel staff.

In regard to the comment of Spa credit, your travel document clearly states that you would receive THB1,000 Spa Credit per room per stay, not a free massage. The actual cost of the 60 minute Balinese massage your husband received was THB1,112.73, you were therefore required to pay the difference.

We apologise of this matter caused an unnecessary delay on check-out and left you with a negative impression.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have delayed writing this review but feel it is only fair to other potential guests to share our experience which unfortunately was not as good as those of a number of other reviewers. The reason that we have marked this property as average is purely down to the poor management and lack of courtesy shown to us during our stay. The location, spa etc is very good.

We travelled in October from the UK to meet relatives who were travelling from Australia. It was a particularly special holiday as our cousin was celebrating a renewal of their wedding vows during our stay in Phuket. Luckily the celebrations themselves were perfect and not affected by the choice of Hotel.

When booking we had been advised to ensure that we booked rooms allowing us access to the Club Lounge so we could meet up with family every evening prior to Dinner. We specifically checked with our Travel Agent that this would be the case when we booked the Premium Spa Deluxe room with a Jacuzzi on the balcony.

We arrived at the Hotel in a rainstorm and I would have to agree with other guests who have said that the corridors become treacherous in wet weather as this is very true. On of our group fell over one evening on a wet floor. First impressions slightly marred by the weather were not great but we also put this down to the fact that we had just left the luxury of the Shangri-La in Bangkok where the environment and service is absolutely first class.

On being shown to our room we discovered that whilst it was slightly tired in terms of decor it had the most fantastic view across the beach. In terms of location it is great. However we also discovered that provisions had not been made in the room for a third person and we were sharing with our daughter. We requested immediately some extra towels etc...but waited about 5 hours to have anything delivered. At the same time we also asked for an ice bucket this also took over 3 requests and arrived some hours later.

As I am sure you will have guessed we were informed that we were not entitled to Club benefits. The story changed with each member of staff we talked to but we did manage to establish that the policy of the Hotel changed last year (after we had made our booking) and only rooms of that class booked directly with the Hotel were entitled to these benefits. We were asked to pay extra which we were not prepared to do on principle. Over the first few days of our stay the Hotel refused to let us have these benefits and made us feel like second class citizens excluded from celebrating with family who we had travelled thousands of miles to see. Our travel agent who we have used on many trips and trust fully emailed the Hotel and asked them to rectify the situation. This was begrudgingly done after I had finally had enough of the upset and demanded to see the General Manager or Managing Director. It appears that the Management are quick to respond to reviews that they do not like on Trip Advisor but not available if you have a problem during your stay.

The Manager also holds a weekly cocktail party and also did not invite us to this but did invite all of the group that travelled from Australia. Not that we would have wished to attend but again we felt that we were deliberately being treated differently.

On a plus side the facilities are generally good. The pools are great for children and it is definitely a good hotel for families.

We are aware that a number of people have suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting during their stays here but apart from one incident with 2 of the children everyone else was absolutely fine.

The food was good (breakfast is very hectic and we would say just about reaching average) and reasonably priced in the restaurants.

The spa is excellent and my partner and I had a couples massage which I would definitely recommend.

Another point that is worth noting (assuming that the Hotel is still operating this policy!) is that there is an option called Baht Bonanza. We were again only made aware of this by our family and friends from Australia as the Hotel did not inform us. You have the option within the first 24 hours of your stay to deposit money with the Hotel to cover the cost of food and beverage/treatments etc...during your stay and dependant on how much you deposit the Hotel will match this. This is really useful if you intend to eat at the Hotel or use the Spa. You will not get any monies returned so worth starting on the cautious side and topping up during your stay.

We will not be returning to this Hotel due to the manner in which we were treated. We have previously stayed at the Cape Panwa and the Merlin Beach and both these Hotels deliver a far better all round experience.

Room Tip: Ensure that you have in writing with you what is and isn't included
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!