“Mixed feelings....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Book Now And Save 40%
Ranked #12 of 69 hotels in Karon
Sydney
“Mixed feelings....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'll start by stating that I would give this place 3 and 1/2 stars but option was not available. I researched alot before choosing this resort for my family and must say I was disappointed overall - not a 5 star hotel but trying...

We stayed in January for 7 nights in a a deluxe room (twin) for 2 adults and 2 children(8 and 6). Check in was efficient with a welcome drink and we got as requested a room near the pools which was a great start.
The room was fine - no issues there what so ever - not much of a sea view because of the trees in the way, didn't bother us but may disappoint others. Housekeeping was quick to deliver enough towels and extra pillows to the room. Sand does get everywhere from the pools and the beach so expect sand in your bed - housekeeping does do a great job in cleaning up though. Shame this resort has too soft pillows! I needed about 3 of them..

I wouldn't really recommend the pool suites as they really have a lack of privacy and they are on the lowest floor of each building.

The kids absolutely loved the pool areas! Slides, lazy river and the water hole jump. Kids club was also popular for them both as a respite from the heat. A lot of the guests felt it was alright for their children to be running around stark naked - a cultural thing perhaps? Staff around the pools for drinks and food were very efficient.

Breakfast at The Cove had a massive choice - banana roti pancakes! Stay away from the orange juice if you prefer the taste of freshly squeezed, a sugary awful concoction is served here! There is something for everyone here. Staff were very good here also.

The beach was really nice - the waves were safe at this time of year and the hotel had beach chairs reserved only for guests of the hotel. There are 2 restaurants off to the side of the beach for cheaper dining options or a 10 minute stroll up the beach to Karon is definitely not too taxing for a bit of shopping - why people complained about the walk is a mystery to me...my kids did it without much complaint.

I'll bring up the dreaded topic of gastro. My eldest son got it day 3 of our stay, husband was next and my youngest got it 12 hours before having to fly home. I will say only that we were Thailand for 10 days previously and had been totally fine elsewhere and that I am totally aware that these things happen. I work as a microbiologist. Something in the pool water,the food or other guests - who knows - we weren't the only family suffering during our stay. A doctor came and gave my son a magic shot that allowed him to take the 2 flights we needed to get home - don't hesitate to call the doctor if you need help for gastro.

Due to the dreaded gastro we had to make use of room service and it arrived as ordered and very promptly - no problems there.

If you are using the complimentary mytime bonus of a spa credit to your room - don't bother. My husband used ours for a supposed 45min free massage and still got charged.This came back to haunt us upon checkout.

Our transport to the airport was to arrive at 1055 and my husband very wisely went to check out at 10am. Official check out time was 12pm so he was early.He had a 35min wait before being attended to and upon querying the spa charge it had taken 3 staff members to call the spa (3 times) and my husband felt like the criminal for trying to get a complimentary massage we were entitled to.
Eventually they waived the spa charge and my husband paid the account. Hooray! Thank you.

By this time our transport arrived and I had bundled 2 children and myself into the car to wait
for my husband and he came out - I thought he was done - nope, they needed to see our travel documents to copy something - arrgghhhh!!!! I had a sick child in the van, two flights to catch and they wouldn't let us go. Even the porter was flitting around urging the reception staff to get a move on. Very frustrating and poorly managed. It left a very negative impression. Have more staff at reception that can handle issues with billing and roster more staff for peak check out times

The Centara Grand is a lovely family resort, we loved the pools and the gardens - just small things had left a negative impression upon us. Would we come back? Hmmm ... not sure is all I'd say for now - other places to visit in this world.

Room Tip: Buildings 6 to 9 are closer to pools and beach area. Only good pool rooms seemed to be buildings 1 a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear helsbellsSydney

Thank you very much for the positive comments regarding our housekeepers, hotel facilities, breakfast, the beach and specially hotel staff.

In regard to the comment of Spa credit, your travel document clearly states that you would receive THB1,000 Spa Credit per room per stay, not a free massage. The actual cost of the 60 minute Balinese massage your husband received was THB1,112.73, you were therefore required to pay the difference.

We apologise of this matter caused an unnecessary delay on check-out and left you with a negative impression.

934 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have delayed writing this review but feel it is only fair to other potential guests to share our experience which unfortunately was not as good as those of a number of other reviewers. The reason that we have marked this property as average is purely down to the poor management and lack of courtesy shown to us during our stay. The location, spa etc is very good.

We travelled in October from the UK to meet relatives who were travelling from Australia. It was a particularly special holiday as our cousin was celebrating a renewal of their wedding vows during our stay in Phuket. Luckily the celebrations themselves were perfect and not affected by the choice of Hotel.

When booking we had been advised to ensure that we booked rooms allowing us access to the Club Lounge so we could meet up with family every evening prior to Dinner. We specifically checked with our Travel Agent that this would be the case when we booked the Premium Spa Deluxe room with a Jacuzzi on the balcony.

We arrived at the Hotel in a rainstorm and I would have to agree with other guests who have said that the corridors become treacherous in wet weather as this is very true. On of our group fell over one evening on a wet floor. First impressions slightly marred by the weather were not great but we also put this down to the fact that we had just left the luxury of the Shangri-La in Bangkok where the environment and service is absolutely first class.

On being shown to our room we discovered that whilst it was slightly tired in terms of decor it had the most fantastic view across the beach. In terms of location it is great. However we also discovered that provisions had not been made in the room for a third person and we were sharing with our daughter. We requested immediately some extra towels etc...but waited about 5 hours to have anything delivered. At the same time we also asked for an ice bucket this also took over 3 requests and arrived some hours later.

As I am sure you will have guessed we were informed that we were not entitled to Club benefits. The story changed with each member of staff we talked to but we did manage to establish that the policy of the Hotel changed last year (after we had made our booking) and only rooms of that class booked directly with the Hotel were entitled to these benefits. We were asked to pay extra which we were not prepared to do on principle. Over the first few days of our stay the Hotel refused to let us have these benefits and made us feel like second class citizens excluded from celebrating with family who we had travelled thousands of miles to see. Our travel agent who we have used on many trips and trust fully emailed the Hotel and asked them to rectify the situation. This was begrudgingly done after I had finally had enough of the upset and demanded to see the General Manager or Managing Director. It appears that the Management are quick to respond to reviews that they do not like on Trip Advisor but not available if you have a problem during your stay.

The Manager also holds a weekly cocktail party and also did not invite us to this but did invite all of the group that travelled from Australia. Not that we would have wished to attend but again we felt that we were deliberately being treated differently.

On a plus side the facilities are generally good. The pools are great for children and it is definitely a good hotel for families.

We are aware that a number of people have suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting during their stays here but apart from one incident with 2 of the children everyone else was absolutely fine.

The food was good (breakfast is very hectic and we would say just about reaching average) and reasonably priced in the restaurants.

The spa is excellent and my partner and I had a couples massage which I would definitely recommend.

Another point that is worth noting (assuming that the Hotel is still operating this policy!) is that there is an option called Baht Bonanza. We were again only made aware of this by our family and friends from Australia as the Hotel did not inform us. You have the option within the first 24 hours of your stay to deposit money with the Hotel to cover the cost of food and beverage/treatments etc...during your stay and dependant on how much you deposit the Hotel will match this. This is really useful if you intend to eat at the Hotel or use the Spa. You will not get any monies returned so worth starting on the cautious side and topping up during your stay.

We will not be returning to this Hotel due to the manner in which we were treated. We have previously stayed at the Cape Panwa and the Merlin Beach and both these Hotels deliver a far better all round experience.

Room Tip: Ensure that you have in writing with you what is and isn't included
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just returned from a week at Centara Gran Beach Resort Phuket. We stayed in a Deluxe Pool Suite which was magnificent. The room amenities were super and the resort facilities were No.1. Couldn't ask for more.
If you have kids, you'll love this resort. They will be kept occupied with all the pool and beach activities.

Although the resort runs at quite a high occupancy rate in January, it didn't feel crowded, probably due to the sprawling grounds and the pool that is a central feature.

The resort is located right Karon beach. although its a public beach, being at the end of the beach made it feel quite private. I've read reports about Karon Beach not being clean, but we had no such experience. The water was warm and clear.

A special mention to the Lifeguards. These guys keep an eagle eye on everyone in the water and pool. They also became good friends to our boys 11 and 8. Thanks Yu and Boy. you guys ROCK.

Room Tip: The Pool Suites are good if you want a private dip.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Rasem G

Thank you very much for your review. It is wonderful to learn that your family enjoyed the time here at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket. We definitely hope to welcome you back in the near future, especially Yu & Boy are looking forward to see Christopher & Thomas again 

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Was really looking forward to this holiday felt very let down was booked early 2012 family of 6 adult s I had requested a High floor quite room booked pool suite when I arrive pool suite s not Hight up and no one had contacted our agent to inform them I went to the front desk with paperwork with my request s in black and white did this make a difference no ..... I asked to see manager who was very nice and moved me and my husband to another room which was higher this turned out to be a blessing as 1st room by lazy river great for the kid s but the life guard for the best part of 2 week s while on duty kept making whay whay sound s nearly evert time a child went down the slide they also was doin repair s to the stair s with banging and drilling ( there must be a quite time to carry out work s and not in new year when resort is most busiest our room was pleasant great views ( thank s front desk manager who we complained to) shower did not work stone cold or boiling hot complained got me nowhere so I shower in the jucuzzi not very private blind s did not fit window s either in the room also noted roof work being carried out with more noise and the staff did not seem to understand english 3 times different staff I asked for tomarto and cucumber not 1 of them new what I wanted and walked away 5 star service defiantly not ......... The spa that was the best time I had at the hotel in 2 week 3 hour s of bliss so can you imagine you work all year for you and your family to have an amazing holiday 3 room s 2 week s lot s of money not at all well spent I also read artical with Bruno T sounded amazing was it no it was not . Two other thing s I would like to mention waste pipe on beach when the sea come s in and is mixed with stream has a very strong smell of urine and stagnant Water ...... POOL SUITES they do have some that sit over the car park honest ........ I wanted to share my time at this resort I am well traveled and have been very blessed to have stayed in some wonderful places and 5 star resort s this is not one of them . JJ

• Stayed January 2013
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear JulieJarvis

Thank you very much for sharing with us the difficulties you have experienced during your recent stay.

We have well taken note on your request to have a quiet room on high floor, however, please note that all Deluxe Pool Suites are always on the ground floor, it was not easy to have your room on a high floor as requested eventhough we put you on the highest building.

Due to the safety reason, our life guards need to monitor the traffice by the Lazy River & Water closely.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our spa treatments.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have just returned from a really lovely stay at Centara Grand Beach.
We stayed in deluxe rooms which were clean and comfortable and had great views.
We started off in the pool suites but I think these rooms are not as good as the normal deluxe rooms.
The hotel is right on the beach. It is a public beach but it was very clean and really good. Massages and drinks are easily accessible from the public vendors. The pool and meals are right by the beach and so logistics are easy. Our kids had a great time in the pool- lazy river, cliff jumping and slides.
Mosquitoes do come out at night but generally the aircon in the room kept them away.
There are small issues but the staff are very helpful and you have to look past any issues.
Overall an excellent holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Barrysu

We appreciate your great review on this. We do understand that there were issues reported during your stay, however, we are extreamly delighted that you had an excellent stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you again.

Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at centara from 20th dec. the hotel was clean excellent rooms,service. My husband had a terrible accident in the ocean whilst swimming he got caught in a wave that bashed his head on the sand and left no feeling in his arms or legs. The next wave pushed him on his back where he cried for help and some tourists and the life guard at centara pulled him out and the hotels medical team organised an ambulance for him.due to language barriers the hotel sent their head of security Karn with him to the local hospital, who helped him see a doctor and sorted him out. He organised a taxi to go back to the hotel escorted my husband till he was comfortable. The hotel guest relations sent a note and flower to wish him well. We are extremely happy with the hotel going out of their way to look after my husband in this situation. Karn and the nurse and rest of the staff deserve a thumbs up for the commendable way of handling the whole incident.

Overall my children 7 and 9 loved the hotel and facilities.breakfast excellent. It's centara is located on the beach front unless several other hotels in Phuket. Where one has to cross the road to access the beach.
We would go back to this hotel Nd recommend this hotel to anyone anytime.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear FamilyfromKenya

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking your time placing a great review on this.
We are extreamly glad to know that your family enjoyed the holiday with us. Karn, the nurse and all our team members hope that your husband is doing great.

Hope to welcome you and your family again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I came here to celebrate my 20th aniversary with my wife and we feel we took the best choice. We had the chance to see others hotel in the area and this one has the best facilities; the gyms is better than one I frequent close to home :)

Room Tip: - Don't miss the sea food nights. - Rooms in front of the beach are the best - Area for kids
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LBalan

We are glad to learn that you had a great time with us on your special occasion.
Hope to see you both again for 21st aniversary celebration :)

Quality Manager

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!