“The best hotel I've been” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 69 hotels in Karon
Khabarovsk, Russia
“The best hotel I've been”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

With my girlfriend I have past 11 days in this hotel from the 10th of december 2012. Starting from the first moment we have been surprised for the kindness of the personnel, everybody is very professional and we felt very relaxed from the first minute we arrived there. The hotel is very clean and organized. We were in SPA Ocean View room, very confortable, with Hydro Massage bath in the balcon, the sea view was amazing. It is very difficult to find something wrong in this hotel, the only thing I can say it's that the hot water in the shower was not perfectly steady but after 2 showers I've found the perfect position for mixing cold and hot water. There is direct access to the ocean and we always have found a lot of place either in the swimming pools and in the beach. A lot of services and beach tools are available for hotel guests, we used mask for snorkeling, body board for surfing (sometimes there are little waves very funny to play with), kayak, beach volley camp kindly arranged by the beach service or by swimming pool service. The sea water is very clean and warm, day and night and it is possible to practice snorkeling directly in the hotel beach that is close to a little hill with sea rocks full of tropical fishes, fantastic! The main swimming pool is very big and divided in different parts, sometimes it was like to swimm in the middle of a tropical forest river because some part of the pool are full immersed in the vegetation. Very funny also the water splash, we enjoyed it also if we don't have childrens. The international breakfast is variegated and very good also for lunch and dinner there is a good choice in the restaurants, but what we appreciated particularly was the quality of the service. The SPA is very very good, to stay there inside it is like to be send in a different world where relax leads. The position of the hotel is perfect because it is not in the middle of the confusion of Patong but it is very easy to go there to enjoy night life, also Centara has a very good rent car service, just 10 minutes to have a car available! We could tried the top of professionalism and the kindness of Centara at the end of our vacation when due to an issue, the Phuket airport was closed. We came back to Centara in the middle of the night where the Hotel personnel gave us back the same rooms we had before. In the morning we got a lot of problems to contact the flight companies and a Manager of Centara offered to help us. She contacted the flight companies and, after several ours of dealing, she succeded in getting new flight tickets for us to go back home. Meanwhile we could rest in the Hotel Lounge, very nice place, with internet connection and fresh drinks. Thank you a lot for you help! Maybe in another hotel we could get lost. In the evening We had already forgot the Airport issue and we could enjoy the last special dinner in the beach of Centara, it was like a day more of vacation. When we came back home, I realized to have lost my hard disk with a lot of important data inside. The problem was I knew to have used it already one week before in the hotel computer and I was sure to have lost it for ever. Calling Centara from my home they told me to have found my hard disk and they are sending it to me immediately. This means nobody has touched my device forgot connected in a public computer of the Hotel for a week! It is also a very good example of the quality of Hotel guests, nobody was interested in get something lost from another guest, this is happening only in very good resorts where the 5 stars of Hotel are not only related to the services but also to the quality of the hotel guests.
I hope to come back next year in this paradise and I suggest to everybody to try this Hotel.
Salvatore e Natalia

Room Tip: La SPA Ocean view e' molto confortevole
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Salvatore and Natalia

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent holiday at our hotel. We are extremely delighted that you had a memorable experience. We are so glad we could be of assistance after your delayed flight and in recovering your computer disk.

Our staff are rewarded for good work and your comments regarding their kindness and helpfulness are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to extending a warm welcome on your return.

Fongf a Eadjongdee

1,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

High expectations can get a holiday off to a bad start and if initially they're met things can go downhill easily. Thankfully for us neither happened!

Ushered into reception to take a seat for check-in, presented with a tasty fruit cocktail and quickly taken to our room (premium spa deluxe 247). Wowed by the standard of the room with it's large glass enclosed rainfall shower, big comfy bed with pillow options, great view and plenty of cupboard space. Never disturbed by noise from neighbouring rooms and had a nice feeling of privacy and detachment from the other guests. The blinds mentioned by other people are a little irritating as they need to be hauled up and down taking about 30 seconds but hardly a problem! Nicely stocked with toiletries and beautifully cleaned each day, in fact the entire resort was spotless and I was heartened to see only two cockroaches on site during our 12 nights! Admittedly they were in the restaurant (the Cove) but still impressed sightings were so rare!

Staff almost all very friendly and only seemed too pleased to help. On occasion felt like berating some fellow guests for the disgusting way they treated them - if you're inclined to be rude perhaps because you've paid a fair bit of money and want to play the king take a reality check and remember these are your fellow people with their own hopes and dreams. On a lighter note I did rather enjoy the little interactions with the security staff smiling and greeting with a salute! The head of security was similarly a pleasure, remembering us and taking the time to stop for a chat - we were leaving the next day and my partner said something about being sad to be going tomorrow to which he replied along the lines of 'and how about now?'. A healthy attitude I thought and since being back at work worrying about things that need doing I remember his words and remind myself that generally 'now' is fine and it's dwelling on challenges in the future that distract me from enjoying now.

But back to the hotel. Enjoyed two of the signature four hands massages in the spa, beautiful experience only slightly detracted from by the surprise of discovering the in-room price list was out of date and the price had almost doubled! Recommend men wear your own underwear; the disposable items supplied are perhaps more suited to a fetish club as they stretch so much the fishnet design leaves nothing to the imagination! Partner's female underwear was fine and she enjoyed a superb facial.

Beach in front of the hotel is clean, twice saw people collecting litter. Intriguing pipe heads out to sea and there's a lot of water leaving it but no sign of any pollution during our stay (and I swam out past it). Nice tropical fish to visit along the rocks at the end of the beach, hotel snorkels are free and good quality. Beach area felt safe and was fairly quiet, none of the other hotels in Karon we saw could rival the location - at the end of the beach with no road in front, semi-private beach as little else after the hotel and yet only about 10 minutes walk into Karon.

Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and kept well stocked. Alas again rude guests were my main grip - grunting at the egg chefs isn't endearing.

Partner celebrated her birthday and we came back to find a bowel of fruit and delicious chocolate dessert/cake in the fridge, nice touch.

Pools, slides and lazy river were all lovely. The guys looking after the slides were great fun and helped bring out the child in us!

Khop Kun Krap to everyone at the Centara Grand.

Room Tip: Some of the plunge pool rooms aren't very private (eg look out over the lazy river).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
fongfa, Guest Relations Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review! We are happy to hear that you had a memorable birthday and stay at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket.

We look forward to your return.

Sales & Guest Relations Manager
CHESHIRE, UNITED KINGDOM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My family stayed here for 2 weeks in October 2012. We stayed in block 9 which was recommended to me prior to booking as for the views out on the beach from the balcony. We had previously visited Thailand before staying at the fantastic Cape Panwa Hotel.

Upon arrival, after flying from the Uk, we were told we would have to wait for our room as it was not prepared !! . We waited about a hour before being taken to the room where we found it to be clean /tidy. The staff were very friendly and are a credit to this resort. We found that the bar staff by the pool had attitude and were more interested in getting sales.

We often found that on walking down the steps to the pool on block 9 we came across a horrible sewage smell,On occasions it was not that bad but !!!!

I was after water sports (sailing)and on arrival I saw a HOBBY catamaran sitting on the sand . After a number of enquires asking if this boat could be put into the water I gave up asking. It would have been nice to been able to sail that boat.

The pools were clean and was the beach,Security was good and the guards always said Hello to you. A good holiday but would I go back to this resort ????

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for visiting 2 weeks in October, we appreciate your patronage and constructive comments.

Being most certainly full on your arrival day it must have taken some time to prepare your room which should have been ready by 2 pm our normal Check In time.
We have put a program together for our guests who arrive early offering changing and shower facilities, short massage and light meals to ease the wait after long flights.

The staff with an attitude at the pool has been re trained keeping in mind our core values of care to our guests.

The swage smell coming from our neighbors has been fixed since.

The hobby Catamaran could not be the hotel one in October as we only had it set up in end of November the time we took control of part of the beach facing the resort with a calm sea which was not the case in October.

May we thank you for your positive comment on the overall friendliness of our staff.

Hoping to see you again soon.

Warm regards,

Denis
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The room was really nice with a big balcony, the giant pool\lazy river was just beautiful, the spa experience was lovely (had oil massage twice) and the restaurants served very good meals (especially I miss that pizza, which was super!!). The staff was very friendly and professional. I really enjoyed the yoga\meditation lessons! My special thanks goes to D.K., Yu, Tai, Aon, Aom, Namwhan, Pat, Sa and Mee.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tanja523

We are glad that you had a wonderful time during your recent stay. Thank you for your welcome comments regarding the friendliness and professionalism of our staff.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our award winning Spa facility and the quality of the dining experience in our restaurants.

We hope to see you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

What an amazing start to our honeymoon, we spent 5 nights at the Centara Grand in Karon. Great base for just about everything including shopping, nightlife and restaurants in Patong and Karon. We booked a suite with a jacuzzi in and it had a view of the sea. The Italian restaurant serves great food so treat yourself one night!! You can walk to the private beach in 2 minutes and there is a great pool to swim in as well. NIce slides and lazy river to float in when you feel like getting a wee bit energetic. Make sure you have the massage on the beach from the locals for about 500 baht it's a real treat. The restaurant on the beach is not run by the hotel and it serves great food and cocktails and is very reasonable! Loved taking the tuk tuks into town for around 300 baht one way and these where real fun and nicely decorated with bright lights and loud music.You can hire scooters but would not suggest it they drive like crazy buggers!! Our shower was a bit clogged and the WIFI does not work too well in the rooms which was the Bly negatives. I would definitely suggest visiting this resort as its great value for money and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. We will be back it was an Awesume experience for us on our honeymoon.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Clint W

Belated congratulations on your marriage. We are extremely pleased that you had a memorable honeymoon stay with us.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, the food at the Mare and for highlighting the wonderful location of our hotel.

Come back soon- perhaps a 1st Anniversary visit?

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stated at the Centara Grand for 8 nights recently, and although I may begin on a negative, this place is amazing, and deserves the full marks despite its shortcomings.

We checked in on the 5th Dec, and after an hour of Phuket traffic from the airport, the view as soon as we drove into the steep drive of the hotel was stunning.

The welcome was warm, and the bellboy (one in particular, long hair with shaved sides) staff were extremely polite and helpful. The check in was a bit slow, but they tried to make us comfortable with nice seating ect. There was a small issue with communication with regards to the security deposit, we understood it as though we were only being asked for cash, when a card is always required elsewhere, this would allow us to charge to room, but not wanting to give cash we refused to had to pay cash around the resort the whole holiday, although future discussions would assure me it was a misunderstanding, and indeed card is accepted, and preferred.

Taken to our room on the golf cart, we were given the guided tour. Reading other reviews I was led to believe the resort is huge, whilst it is large, we were in the furthest block from reception, and found no issue, only people further were the Villas, and not by much. We believe we had the best block, and the best room. We were booked into the ocean facing spa suite. Block 9, room 946 is absoutley stunning, directly overlooking the beach, jacuzzi on the balcony, highest view, stunning. The room itself was architecturally brilliant, the bathroom was massive, with a rain shower, plenty of storage space, mirrors everywhere, and the decor was absoutley stunning. This room is at first glance, visually stunning.

It did have its downfalls though, they were all minor bar one, the biggest problem is the water round brown for a while, meaning the Jacuzzi isn't so appealing. The light fittings out on the balcony were rusted, and the window didn't lock. I raised my concerns with the staff on a few occasions about the water, I really didn't feel it was attended to until I spoke with the manager.

Without going into full reasons, I was quite upset with the hotel, and a breakdown of my concerns meant the resident manager Mr Opas Damrongkul wanted to meet. An extremely professional, humble and understanding man appeared at my room and introduced himself as Opas, and sat and listened to each and every concern I had. Whilst I always try to be as un-fussy as possible, it was a holiday we had waited a while for and, at this moment, we're feeling rather disappointed. Opas addressed each and every issue, rather that making excuses, as most people would, he recognised failings, explained reasons, and in one single meeting, in my opinion, totally redeemed the hotel, it's failed facilities and staff that we felt ignored our previous problems. I would like to take this further oppertunity to thank Opas, the concern of the manager, and the time he took with us was very reassuring, we were made to feel me mattered, and for a big hotel, this is a real, real value, Opas is a fantastic asset! From then on we had a fantastic stay, so will leave that point there and continue with the review.

The beach at this resort is beautiful, Karon Beach itself is stunning, but by far the best part is the Centara, north section. Daytime brings fantastic sunlight on not only the beach but also e whole resort, water sports, bars, massages and plenty of sun loungers make the sandy beach a delight, warm, clear water, fantastic. Evenings are as beautiful as any magazine picture, with a west facing beach, sunsets are stunning, people of Karon are really blessed to see this every night. be sure to head to the beach resturant an night (not operated by Centara) at the very northern end of the beach, they have fantastic food, reasonable prices, and a Monkey called Josephine.

The pools are stunning, so large, so many they are never packed and always great. The lazy river with its waterfalls, the water slides and cliff jumps are suck fun, I really can't think of anything more this place needs. The adult pool is nice and quiet, but to be honest, the main pool is my favourite, and don't forget the 2 jacuzzis/ whirl pools!

The grounds are beautiful, with so much plants, this place is stunning. The ground staff are great, a nice salute from all the security was a nice bit of fun every day, all in all the staff were great!

Breakfasts had a large variety, plenty of choice meant we didn't get bored, to be honest the overall quality wasn't astounding, but it will fill you up for the morning, and in the end was looked forward to.

A cocktail party we were invited to by Opas saw us introduced to Marco, the head chef at the Italian resturant, and seeing as he is a charming man, we decided to see how good of a chef he was... Belvedere Holland Park, Claridges ect are regular places I enjoy, but really, Marco has a stunning menu, and even better food! The pork tenderloin on sautéed potatoes was my choice and I'm still thinking about it days later. Bravo Marco!

The spa must be visited, me and my girlfriend were seriously impressed, and although I've been to only a handful of spas so my opinion isn't well educated, she loves a good massage so frequents them, she was really really impressed. The massages were great, I've never felt so relaxed,I could hardly leave!

I can say with all honesty, this place is stunning, fully deserved more recognition, to say its the best resort and hotel in Karon is a given, that is surely indisputable, but if there's a better hotel in Phuket, I'd be very surprised!

Enjoy this place, it's magnificent!

Room Tip: Block 9, top floor! Faces the beach, best view
Dear Modea 99M

Firstly may we apologise for the confusion regarding the security deposit and issues you had with your room. The security deposit procedure should have been more clearly explained to you and we are sorry that this caused you inconvenience during your stay.

Secondly, thank you for your in depth and thorough review. Your kind comments concerning Opas our Resident Manager, the quality of the Mare Restaurant and our other facilities, is very much appreciated.

We are pleased that you had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights, the pool area is great!
water slides, lazy river etc..
Downside are the rooms - they are quite small and look a bit old (although this is supposed to be a rather new hotel..)
We had a problem with the room - so after one night we moved - and got compensated - so kudos for the handling of the problem!
In short - worth it for the pools and water slides!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Hhillaa

Thank you for your review and the positive comments regarding how we handled your room change.

We apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused and are extremely pleased, that despite this, you enjoyed your stay and our excellent hotel facilities.

Quality Manager

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!