High expectations can get a holiday off to a bad start and if initially they're met things can go downhill easily. Thankfully for us neither happened!
Ushered into reception to take a seat for check-in, presented with a tasty fruit cocktail and quickly taken to our room (premium spa deluxe 247). Wowed by the standard of the room with it's large glass enclosed rainfall shower, big comfy bed with pillow options, great view and plenty of cupboard space. Never disturbed by noise from neighbouring rooms and had a nice feeling of privacy and detachment from the other guests. The blinds mentioned by other people are a little irritating as they need to be hauled up and down taking about 30 seconds but hardly a problem! Nicely stocked with toiletries and beautifully cleaned each day, in fact the entire resort was spotless and I was heartened to see only two cockroaches on site during our 12 nights! Admittedly they were in the restaurant (the Cove) but still impressed sightings were so rare!
Staff almost all very friendly and only seemed too pleased to help. On occasion felt like berating some fellow guests for the disgusting way they treated them - if you're inclined to be rude perhaps because you've paid a fair bit of money and want to play the king take a reality check and remember these are your fellow people with their own hopes and dreams. On a lighter note I did rather enjoy the little interactions with the security staff smiling and greeting with a salute! The head of security was similarly a pleasure, remembering us and taking the time to stop for a chat - we were leaving the next day and my partner said something about being sad to be going tomorrow to which he replied along the lines of 'and how about now?'. A healthy attitude I thought and since being back at work worrying about things that need doing I remember his words and remind myself that generally 'now' is fine and it's dwelling on challenges in the future that distract me from enjoying now.
But back to the hotel. Enjoyed two of the signature four hands massages in the spa, beautiful experience only slightly detracted from by the surprise of discovering the in-room price list was out of date and the price had almost doubled! Recommend men wear your own underwear; the disposable items supplied are perhaps more suited to a fetish club as they stretch so much the fishnet design leaves nothing to the imagination! Partner's female underwear was fine and she enjoyed a superb facial.
Beach in front of the hotel is clean, twice saw people collecting litter. Intriguing pipe heads out to sea and there's a lot of water leaving it but no sign of any pollution during our stay (and I swam out past it). Nice tropical fish to visit along the rocks at the end of the beach, hotel snorkels are free and good quality. Beach area felt safe and was fairly quiet, none of the other hotels in Karon we saw could rival the location - at the end of the beach with no road in front, semi-private beach as little else after the hotel and yet only about 10 minutes walk into Karon.
Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and kept well stocked. Alas again rude guests were my main grip - grunting at the egg chefs isn't endearing.
Partner celebrated her birthday and we came back to find a bowel of fruit and delicious chocolate dessert/cake in the fridge, nice touch.
Pools, slides and lazy river were all lovely. The guys looking after the slides were great fun and helped bring out the child in us!
Khop Kun Krap to everyone at the Centara Grand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket is a modern five-star luxury resort built directly on the foreshores of Karon Beach. Designed with distinct Phuket colonial Sino-Portuguese architecture, the luxury accommodation comprises of 262 guestrooms and villas. All guestrooms have a balcony and are ocean facing. Room types consist of spa suites, pool suites, deluxe suites and one and two bedroom villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking and Tingo so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket Karon