“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

You can tell it once had the makings of a five star- but it is far from it. The staff are very disorganized.
After paying 30US dollars for 10 nappies- the entire rest of the stay was littered with issues.
It took us over three hours to get our second room- only after calling four times. Every time repeating the story as to why we were waiting. Only to eventually raising a fuss in order to get a room by 830pm so the kids could sleep.
We received a wake up at 6am- letting us know we needed to check out. We said they have the wrong room- so they came to the room and told us in person. Which we said again- wrong room. Which woke up the entire family.
Both rooms and the restaurant had severe mosquito issues. Coils, spray, and patches were no match for the Mosquitos the hotel had. Everyone walked away with numerous bites.

The beach and pool facilities were the only saving grace.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
fongfa, Guest Relations Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Jenmv

Thank you for placing the review. We are very sorry to learn that your stay with us was not a pleasant one.

We have clearly failed to achieve our high standards on this occasion and we do sincerely apologize.

With regards to the mosquito issue, we are aware that a prolonged wet season has seen increase mosquitoes and we have therefore recently increased the number of times we fog the hotel.

Sales & Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at this resort, on the second stage of our holiday, having stayed for a week at the Vijitt Resort, Rawai (which was excellent). The Centara had a good room, good view, and extensive breakfast, but unfortunately the hotel is too big for any sense of personal service, and staff responses were mechanistic.

The biggest problem was that this is billed as a 5 star resort, but coach parties, and other guests, were clearly not 5 star in their manner or behaviour in the resort. this was the major issue, and we wondered about whether reductions had been offered.

On booking in we did not receive adequate information about the resort, it's facilities, or the area. This area is not great.

This is sold as 5 star, is charged as 5 star, but isn't.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
fongfa, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Houton

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you found our resort too large and impersonal. The majority of our guests provide positive feedback on the layout and design of the hotel and our staff are normally recognized for their friendliness and helpfulness. It is therefore disappointing that you found their responses ‘mechanistic’.

We do have tour groups, rather than coach parties, from a number of countries, which can add to the cosmopolitan feel of the hotel but can also highlight cultural differences and approaches to holiday making.

Quality Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

hello, just spent 12 nights at centara grand beach, it was amazing, we travel the world, and i must say the service we received was unbelievable, from the moment we checked in, throughout our stay was amazing, thank you fungoo and beedy, who checked we were fine every day, we thought our room was amazing and the club facilities, loved meeting friends we met for a pre dinner drink, mare restaurant amazing, and all the staff were so friendly, will definately be back soon, just find it hard to believe a report i just read, guests from germany, i would love to know what they normally expect, this was 5 star quality, maybe they could enlighten me, where i could get better service x

Room Tip: deluxe pool room, we had room 215, brilliant
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I am telling everyone I know about this place and the people who work here. It is amazing, and everyone is so friendly and eager to please. The scenery (being directly on the beach) is stunning.
the location is brilliant. far enough away from the craziness of patong that you can escape it, but close enoguh to catch a tuk tuk in there when ever you feel like it. 5 min walk up the beach to Karon for very reasonably priced restaurants and shopping.
The breakfast buffet in the hotel was amazing, the range was exceptional, you have all the regular western stuff you can imagine, from bacon and eggs, to pancakes, pastries etc... but some of the asian soups, curries and breads on offer were what really got me going!!... I really had to try hard to control my morning eating sessions!! The rooms are gorgeous, and the pools are great fun (especially the swim up bar), and although I am a grown man, i couldn't help but repeatedly take advantage of the water slides!!
Happy hour at the various bars is fantastic, 2 for 1 cocktails!! I highly recommend having a massage on the beach in front of the hotel just before sunset, and then enjoying a raspberry caprioska while watching the sun set from the beach comber bar. I did this 2 days in a row. If you know of anything more relaxing, I'd love to hear it!
I've seen a few negative comments about this place, and they actually had me quite concerned before we arrived, but I'm happy to say, I could not see one thing to complain about.
I saw a couple of complaints about having hard beds, they are not rock hard by any means, they are firm, which is nice, but they also have mattress toppers on them to make them supportive, but fluffy at the same time (oh and i think the king size beds over there are even slightly bigger than the ones at home!!... awesome)
I did get sick towards the end of our trip (although this was NOT from the hotel, it was from me not being quite careful enough outside the hotel (remember people: hand sanitizer and bottled water only!! very important!!)), and we had to extend our stay, change our flights and make a whole bunch of emergency arrangements, and the hotel staff were so super helpful, they were falling over themselves to make everything as easy as possible for us under the circumstances (even though they knew it was not their fault and had no obligation to do so), I can't speak highly enough of them.
we went as a couple, and even though they cater heavily towards families, we didn't feel overrun by kids. I would happily go there again as a couple, and similarly I would recommend it for families.
we did so much in the 6 days we were there, from elephant trekking, para sailing, snorkeling, boat trip out to phi phi island, shopping, visiting pa tong... there is so much to do.
It is truly a tropical paradise, and we can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: get the breakfast buffet included. you wont regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
fongfa, Guest Relations Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Scott C

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you have had a pleasant time while staying with us here and also satisfied with the room and hotel facilities, especially with our friendly and helpful team members.

We do hope to welcome you back here again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel was exceptional from the beginning of our stay till the end.
We arrived late at night and were given a welcome drink on arrival and had our room upgraded from a Delux Seaview room to A private plunge pool room - also with ocean views at no extra charge.
The breakfast buffet was amazing and catered for all tastes - would suit even the fussiest eater.
My husband and I were there as I couple and even though this resort caters to families as well, we didnt feel like we had children in our face all the time. The pool was amazing, was great waterslides and jumping rocks too - great for a young couple. And the swim up bar, what can I say, the staff were fun and helpful and great to have a chat with.
Staff throughout the resort were so friendly and helpful.
The only thing I could find a negative with were the dinners - they have a themed dinner every night and we found these meals to be over priced for the quality you received but the Italian restaurant they had was great....The spa was also overpriced, as you could walk to the beach or into Karon town and get massages much cheaper - but thats pretty typical of any resort.
Will definately stay there again should we return to Karon.

Dear Kelly J

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket.

We sincerely appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review for our property. We also are happy to read that you have enjoyed your experience here with us and have shared your valueable comments with our team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We (family of 5) stayed at the resort in June/July this year. We spent 10 days here. The first 5 were beautiful and then the next it rained non stop virtually. The pool area is magnificent and you could just sit there for hours relaxing. My youngest 14, had a great time on the slides etc. We ate mostly out in Karon either walking or Tuk Tuk ride in as this was inexpensive. Rooms were great. A bit of a stuff up with the booking. I had booked initially for 4 of us through Sawadee, then late in piece my older son decided to come and I emailed the hotel this directly.
Unfortuneatly they could not provide an extra bed so we had to make do with couch in the room.
Not that comfortable but we had to make do. Asked several times for fold up bed to no avail.
Apart from this we all enjoyed the resort thoroughly. Breakfast in the Cove each day was fresh and lovely with lots of variety.
The floors were a littkle bit slippery in some sections when it rained but there were signs around to notify guests of this.
Overall, I would not hesitate to go back to Centara Grand but hopefully when the weather was more consistent.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 2 on the third floor it was good. We had a lovely view of the Adult Pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
northern ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I think all the reviews cover most of the information/advice on offer very well. All I can say is, this was my 3rd visit to Phuket and our 6th visit to Thailand, so it is obvious that we love the culture/country. I can not fault our stay in any way shape or form, everything was excellent, to a high standard, many thanks. We were invited to the "Managers cocktail hour" where we met the management team, they strive very hard to maintain and improve on their service. The reception area is quite small, however I do not go on holiday to sit in the lobby, and it functioned well. Yes the TV in English is limited (there is news & film in English), again I do not go on holiday to watch TV. The hotel and room were cleaned everyday to a high standard,nothing was too much trouble for the staff, a note to the management, you have an excellent workforce of which you should be proud as they are a major asset to you. Would I go back, simply put yes, why not, it ticked all the box's, we enjoyed it and found it impossible to find fault. We used the small local restaurants a 5 minute walk from the hotel, they were well priced,great value for money,clean,great menus and best of all grateful for your business. To finish off, there is nothing to worry about at this resort, perhaps my expectations are not as high as some people, my advice, Go, try you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!