“Perfection.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Brisbane, Australia
“Perfection.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I am telling everyone I know about this place and the people who work here. It is amazing, and everyone is so friendly and eager to please. The scenery (being directly on the beach) is stunning.
the location is brilliant. far enough away from the craziness of patong that you can escape it, but close enoguh to catch a tuk tuk in there when ever you feel like it. 5 min walk up the beach to Karon for very reasonably priced restaurants and shopping.
The breakfast buffet in the hotel was amazing, the range was exceptional, you have all the regular western stuff you can imagine, from bacon and eggs, to pancakes, pastries etc... but some of the asian soups, curries and breads on offer were what really got me going!!... I really had to try hard to control my morning eating sessions!! The rooms are gorgeous, and the pools are great fun (especially the swim up bar), and although I am a grown man, i couldn't help but repeatedly take advantage of the water slides!!
Happy hour at the various bars is fantastic, 2 for 1 cocktails!! I highly recommend having a massage on the beach in front of the hotel just before sunset, and then enjoying a raspberry caprioska while watching the sun set from the beach comber bar. I did this 2 days in a row. If you know of anything more relaxing, I'd love to hear it!
I've seen a few negative comments about this place, and they actually had me quite concerned before we arrived, but I'm happy to say, I could not see one thing to complain about.
I saw a couple of complaints about having hard beds, they are not rock hard by any means, they are firm, which is nice, but they also have mattress toppers on them to make them supportive, but fluffy at the same time (oh and i think the king size beds over there are even slightly bigger than the ones at home!!... awesome)
I did get sick towards the end of our trip (although this was NOT from the hotel, it was from me not being quite careful enough outside the hotel (remember people: hand sanitizer and bottled water only!! very important!!)), and we had to extend our stay, change our flights and make a whole bunch of emergency arrangements, and the hotel staff were so super helpful, they were falling over themselves to make everything as easy as possible for us under the circumstances (even though they knew it was not their fault and had no obligation to do so), I can't speak highly enough of them.
we went as a couple, and even though they cater heavily towards families, we didn't feel overrun by kids. I would happily go there again as a couple, and similarly I would recommend it for families.
we did so much in the 6 days we were there, from elephant trekking, para sailing, snorkeling, boat trip out to phi phi island, shopping, visiting pa tong... there is so much to do.
It is truly a tropical paradise, and we can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: get the breakfast buffet included. you wont regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
fongfa, Guest Relations Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Scott C

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you have had a pleasant time while staying with us here and also satisfied with the room and hotel facilities, especially with our friendly and helpful team members.

We do hope to welcome you back here again in the near future.

Warm regards
Fongfa Eadjongdee
Sales & Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel was exceptional from the beginning of our stay till the end.
We arrived late at night and were given a welcome drink on arrival and had our room upgraded from a Delux Seaview room to A private plunge pool room - also with ocean views at no extra charge.
The breakfast buffet was amazing and catered for all tastes - would suit even the fussiest eater.
My husband and I were there as I couple and even though this resort caters to families as well, we didnt feel like we had children in our face all the time. The pool was amazing, was great waterslides and jumping rocks too - great for a young couple. And the swim up bar, what can I say, the staff were fun and helpful and great to have a chat with.
Staff throughout the resort were so friendly and helpful.
The only thing I could find a negative with were the dinners - they have a themed dinner every night and we found these meals to be over priced for the quality you received but the Italian restaurant they had was great....The spa was also overpriced, as you could walk to the beach or into Karon town and get massages much cheaper - but thats pretty typical of any resort.
Will definately stay there again should we return to Karon.

Dear Kelly J

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket.

We sincerely appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review for our property. We also are happy to read that you have enjoyed your experience here with us and have shared your valueable comments with our team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay.

Warm regards

Fongfa Eadjongdee
Sales & Guest Relations Manager
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We (family of 5) stayed at the resort in June/July this year. We spent 10 days here. The first 5 were beautiful and then the next it rained non stop virtually. The pool area is magnificent and you could just sit there for hours relaxing. My youngest 14, had a great time on the slides etc. We ate mostly out in Karon either walking or Tuk Tuk ride in as this was inexpensive. Rooms were great. A bit of a stuff up with the booking. I had booked initially for 4 of us through Sawadee, then late in piece my older son decided to come and I emailed the hotel this directly.
Unfortuneatly they could not provide an extra bed so we had to make do with couch in the room.
Not that comfortable but we had to make do. Asked several times for fold up bed to no avail.
Apart from this we all enjoyed the resort thoroughly. Breakfast in the Cove each day was fresh and lovely with lots of variety.
The floors were a littkle bit slippery in some sections when it rained but there were signs around to notify guests of this.
Overall, I would not hesitate to go back to Centara Grand but hopefully when the weather was more consistent.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 2 on the third floor it was good. We had a lovely view of the Adult Pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
northern ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I think all the reviews cover most of the information/advice on offer very well. All I can say is, this was my 3rd visit to Phuket and our 6th visit to Thailand, so it is obvious that we love the culture/country. I can not fault our stay in any way shape or form, everything was excellent, to a high standard, many thanks. We were invited to the "Managers cocktail hour" where we met the management team, they strive very hard to maintain and improve on their service. The reception area is quite small, however I do not go on holiday to sit in the lobby, and it functioned well. Yes the TV in English is limited (there is news & film in English), again I do not go on holiday to watch TV. The hotel and room were cleaned everyday to a high standard,nothing was too much trouble for the staff, a note to the management, you have an excellent workforce of which you should be proud as they are a major asset to you. Would I go back, simply put yes, why not, it ticked all the box's, we enjoyed it and found it impossible to find fault. We used the small local restaurants a 5 minute walk from the hotel, they were well priced,great value for money,clean,great menus and best of all grateful for your business. To finish off, there is nothing to worry about at this resort, perhaps my expectations are not as high as some people, my advice, Go, try you will not be disappointed.

Gerang Gerung, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have just returned from a heavenly week spent at Centara Grand Beach Resort, my husband, daughter,son-in-law, 20mth old grand-daughter & I travelled to Phuket to attend the wedding of my niece. Being a keen reader of Trip Advisor & having read some of the negative comments left about this Resort I was beginning to become concerned, especially travelling with a little one BUT I need not have worried at all. I cannot believe what some people complain about. From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure we were treated with such friendliness & kindness from all the staff. We stayed together in a 2 bedroom villa which had everything you could ask for plus more. We ate at all the restaurants with all meals being amazing & reasonably priced, even the head chef from Mare came to out table to speak to us. My only complaint would be the many cases of complete rudeness from some other guests towards the staff, treating them like second class citizens & with many who apparently left any manners they had at home. I would gladly return to this resort & would highly recommend it as a wonderful place to stay. Our room, the Restarants, pools & especially the Lazy River were immaculately clean & well serviced. We were sad to leave but we will return one day. Congratulations Centara Grand on your world class Resort.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was my third trip to Phuket and I have always enjoyed the island, the local Thai service & overall Asian ambiance - including elephants, cobras and all............

The Centara is a nice hotel conveniently located to a number of towns. It has pluses and minuses:

The Good Stuff:

(1) Very nice clean rooms with Asian themed decorations. Very large balconies & nice views.
The only negative seemed to be that the air conditioning was centrally controlled and the
room was too cold the first 4-5 nights and then too warm the remaining 6 nights. The room
climate control did not adjust the temperature adequately.But i still loved the room.
(2) Very convenient & pleasant hotel location - close to restaurants & shops and in a lush tropical
setting.
(3) Compact hotel campus - everything was "right there" and close at-hand.
(4) Long excellent beach, as well as nice pools (one for adults with a GREAT view)..
(5) Courteous staff and good room service - fast response times for repair services (plugged
shower drain) as well as requests for potable water and delivered food into the room.
(6) Nice Spa center
(7) A free nightly program featuring a variety of Thai songs, dances & skits.
(8) Hotel food prices quite reasonable - if you compare what is charged elsewhere.

The Negative Stuff

(1) The hotel room was not ready on check-in and we had to wait 2 1/2 hours to get into our room
(after an all-night flight). On the positive side the hotel did provide a free lunch while we
waited for our room. We saw the same thing happen to other hotel guests the next day.
(2) The hotel reception area is quite small and humid due to the artificial waterfall in the back of
the reception area. I have never seen a smaller reception area for a 5-star hotel.
(3) The buffet breakfast is mediocre - the selection does not vary enough for a 10+ day stay.
(4) The cable TV offering is very limited - not enough news & movie channels.
(5) The reception staff is "so-so". For instance, It did not provide me with a receipt for my
final hotel payment and I had to repeatedly request a "paid in full statement".

All-in-all I would say it was a reasonable place to visit and I do NOT heve any regrets that i stayed in the Centara. If not for the few issues I mentioned above I would have rated it higher than "very good".

Room Tip: Try an upgraded seaview room in the middle of the hotel - 4th floor or thereabouts.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I cannot say enough about this hotel. Upon reading an earlier revew, I'm thinking someone has got the hotels mixed up as there are so maby Centara's!
The rooms are clean and spacious, the staff is so friendly and are more than willing to help you with all of your needs and the facilities awesome. My friends stayed in the two bedroom pool villa which was magical and we stayed in the spa room which suited us better (and obviously more affordable).
We used the babysitter service (6 and 7 year old girls) and the kids oten took themselves into the kids club for activities they learned they couldn;t live without. We kept a pretty close eye on the kids in the beginning but soon learned that there were so may staff members especially by the pool to watch over them, I soon felt comfortable enough for the kids to not have to be joined to my hip. And as much as my girls love to shop, I couldn;t get them out of the pool for the whole 10 days! It has kiddy pools, waterfalls, rock jumps, an adult pool and sections where you could be on sand or not. The best enertainment for my kids ever!
These people genuinely care and always stop whatever they are doing to say hello, how are you. I left my ipad in the room in the rush to pack and when I called from the airport, the manager told me she had already found it and will be notifying me by email re sending it back. I told her I'd call as soon as I landed and when I didn't, she called because she was worried I hadn't landed safely! Too swet.
We are already looking at booking for next year and still explaining to my 6 year old why we can't permanently live at Centara Grande!
The breakfast selection is off the charts and all meals we ate were great.
Can't recommend it enough!!
Kim

Room Tip: If you have kids, I advise to rooms with a pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!