“Paradise...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Wi-Fi Free ABF
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Leopold, Australia
“Paradise...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have just returned from a heavenly week spent at Centara Grand Beach Resort, my husband, daughter,son-in-law, 20mth old grand-daughter & I travelled to Phuket to attend the wedding of my niece. Being a keen reader of Trip Advisor & having read some of the negative comments left about this Resort I was beginning to become concerned, especially travelling with a little one BUT I need not have worried at all. I cannot believe what some people complain about. From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure we were treated with such friendliness & kindness from all the staff. We stayed together in a 2 bedroom villa which had everything you could ask for plus more. We ate at all the restaurants with all meals being amazing & reasonably priced, even the head chef from Mare came to out table to speak to us. My only complaint would be the many cases of complete rudeness from some other guests towards the staff, treating them like second class citizens & with many who apparently left any manners they had at home. I would gladly return to this resort & would highly recommend it as a wonderful place to stay. Our room, the Restarants, pools & especially the Lazy River were immaculately clean & well serviced. We were sad to leave but we will return one day. Congratulations Centara Grand on your world class Resort.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was my third trip to Phuket and I have always enjoyed the island, the local Thai service & overall Asian ambiance - including elephants, cobras and all............

The Centara is a nice hotel conveniently located to a number of towns. It has pluses and minuses:

The Good Stuff:

(1) Very nice clean rooms with Asian themed decorations. Very large balconies & nice views.
The only negative seemed to be that the air conditioning was centrally controlled and the
room was too cold the first 4-5 nights and then too warm the remaining 6 nights. The room
climate control did not adjust the temperature adequately.But i still loved the room.
(2) Very convenient & pleasant hotel location - close to restaurants & shops and in a lush tropical
setting.
(3) Compact hotel campus - everything was "right there" and close at-hand.
(4) Long excellent beach, as well as nice pools (one for adults with a GREAT view)..
(5) Courteous staff and good room service - fast response times for repair services (plugged
shower drain) as well as requests for potable water and delivered food into the room.
(6) Nice Spa center
(7) A free nightly program featuring a variety of Thai songs, dances & skits.
(8) Hotel food prices quite reasonable - if you compare what is charged elsewhere.

The Negative Stuff

(1) The hotel room was not ready on check-in and we had to wait 2 1/2 hours to get into our room
(after an all-night flight). On the positive side the hotel did provide a free lunch while we
waited for our room. We saw the same thing happen to other hotel guests the next day.
(2) The hotel reception area is quite small and humid due to the artificial waterfall in the back of
the reception area. I have never seen a smaller reception area for a 5-star hotel.
(3) The buffet breakfast is mediocre - the selection does not vary enough for a 10+ day stay.
(4) The cable TV offering is very limited - not enough news & movie channels.
(5) The reception staff is "so-so". For instance, It did not provide me with a receipt for my
final hotel payment and I had to repeatedly request a "paid in full statement".

All-in-all I would say it was a reasonable place to visit and I do NOT heve any regrets that i stayed in the Centara. If not for the few issues I mentioned above I would have rated it higher than "very good".

Room Tip: Try an upgraded seaview room in the middle of the hotel - 4th floor or thereabouts.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I cannot say enough about this hotel. Upon reading an earlier revew, I'm thinking someone has got the hotels mixed up as there are so maby Centara's!
The rooms are clean and spacious, the staff is so friendly and are more than willing to help you with all of your needs and the facilities awesome. My friends stayed in the two bedroom pool villa which was magical and we stayed in the spa room which suited us better (and obviously more affordable).
We used the babysitter service (6 and 7 year old girls) and the kids oten took themselves into the kids club for activities they learned they couldn;t live without. We kept a pretty close eye on the kids in the beginning but soon learned that there were so may staff members especially by the pool to watch over them, I soon felt comfortable enough for the kids to not have to be joined to my hip. And as much as my girls love to shop, I couldn;t get them out of the pool for the whole 10 days! It has kiddy pools, waterfalls, rock jumps, an adult pool and sections where you could be on sand or not. The best enertainment for my kids ever!
These people genuinely care and always stop whatever they are doing to say hello, how are you. I left my ipad in the room in the rush to pack and when I called from the airport, the manager told me she had already found it and will be notifying me by email re sending it back. I told her I'd call as soon as I landed and when I didn't, she called because she was worried I hadn't landed safely! Too swet.
We are already looking at booking for next year and still explaining to my 6 year old why we can't permanently live at Centara Grande!
The breakfast selection is off the charts and all meals we ate were great.
Can't recommend it enough!!
Kim

Room Tip: If you have kids, I advise to rooms with a pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have just come back from celebrating our anniversary and honeymoon at Centara. I must admit that past reviews nearly swayed my decision but I'm glad we stuck to our guns.
The grounds, reception area and our ocean facing room was brilliant. Our room was always cleaned and we enjoyed the little touches with our turndown service. Reception was always more than helpful and very prompt with any dealings.
The Buffet Breakfast was always delicious and never too overcrowded. Food and drinks I found to be reasonably priced.
My only let down was the BBQ buffet on a Thursday night. The meat and Prawns were not cooked properly.

Overall our stay was wonderful and I would recommend this place to anyone. We will definitely be back with our kids in tow.

• Stayed November 2012
Narre Warren North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently returned from 7 night stay at Centara Grand Phuket and absolutely loved it. The first night on arrival i was a little disappointed as i was told that the room that i had booked and paid for was not available and we had been given an upgrade to a spa deluxe room which i dont believe was an upgrade as room was alot smaller than the Premium Ocean View room that i had booked. Spoke to reception who apologised and organised for a our room to be available for us the next morning - new room was amazing. From then on our holiday was fantastic! Beautiful pools and surrounding, perfect for kids and adults. Breakfast was great with a huge variety.

Room Tip: We had room 227. Premium Ocean View with massive balcony. Woke up to a beautiful view of the ocean e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Never thought I would be one to do this ... But I know I read a lot if reviews before we had our first visit to Phuket and the iced reviews had me worried!
We stayed for 10 fantastic nights at the resort in a two bedroom pool villa - we have 3 young boys 5-8 years and the villa was Devine! The pool was great for when we wanted to relax at home Ns we could get prompt room service and cocktails delivered :) bliss
In terms of facilities they were we one to none - pools restaurants staff cleanliness and position all fantastic especially for families - your a quick trip to the hustle and bustle of Patong or Karon if you choose - the beach is right there which boasts the massages drink stalls and restaurants.
I could go on and on - we were very close to extending our stay for another 5 days but we had commitments in Bangkok - we will definitely be back as soon as possible - even the kids were shattered to leave
Oh and I must add everyday they asked (yes that's right) to go to kids club :)
Perfection on all fronts!
Don't hesitate - I k ow it is one of the more expensive options but you so t be disappointed :)

• Stayed November 2012
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Anyone who says this is the best hotel they have ever seen has not been to a proper 5 star hotel. We were meant to stay at the hotel for 6 nights, having spent the first 2 weeks of our stay in another part of Phuket. We stayed roughly 3 hours before checking out! Our first impression was the lobby, which was dated and not at all grand. The staff were unfriendly and the corridors seemed more suited to a hospital than an apparently luxury hotel. The room which was sold as a Deluxe Ocean View Room had absolutely nothing deluxe about it. In fact, it was filthy! There were dead insects lying around the floors and skirting boards. The skirting boards also had months worth of dust and hairs. The glass toilet door was smeared with dirty fingerprints and there was an awful stench throughout the room. There were also wires sticking out of the wall where some of the light-fittings were. Having a three year old with us; this was a serious safety concern, since they were within reach. On complaining; I was told I had "only booked a standard room'! On taking the complaint further with a manager, I was informed that we should go for a complimentary lunch, while they tried to come up with something better. The lunch didn't lift our mood any. It was extremely greasy with sloppy presentation. The restaurant did not up the stakes on cleanliness either. After seeing this and having a quick walk around the pool area, which looked like something from a 3 star 1980s hotel in Tenerife, we decided to leave. The best part of the short stay was the air conditioned departure in one of the hotels taxis. I can honestly say that the manager genuinely did seem concerned and tried to help us and avoid us leaving, but he could not have fixed the problems that were there. This hotel needs a major renovation to even be in with a chance of becoming a 5 star resort. The rooms look to be modern enough, but the luxury details are missing and I believe that cleanliness should never be an issue, whether you stay in 3,4 or 5 star hotels. I would never have imagined walking out of a 5 star hotel, but in this case it just was not an option to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
fongfa, Guest Relations Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you very for taking the time to place a review.

It is disappointing to read of your unhappy experience at our hotel, but perhaps it is a shame that you did not spend more time with us, so that the issues you raise could have been more properly addressed. If, as you said the room was in an unclean state and is need of repair, then I must apologise and assure you that this is not our normal standard.

Our staff are rewarded for their friendly and courteous approach to guests, so I am somewhat puzzled by the comment concerning “unfriendly staff”.

I agree that the lobby area is more functional than grand but the normal quality of service more than compensates for the lack of splendid decor.

Again it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your complimentary meal.

I agree that the cleanliness should not be an issue in any hotel but all the tropical locations the occasional insect or small lizard cannot be avoided.

It is unfortunate that our manager could not persuade you to stay to allow us to show you a true picture of the hotel.

Warm regards
Fongfa Eadjongdee

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!