“location, location, location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Wi-Fi + Free ABF
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Karon
melbourne
“location, location, location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My family and I, including 6 and 8 yr old stayed for 12 wonderful days at this mammoth resort. While I had initial reservations about the sheer size of the hotel (thinking I would be bumping into a million other tourists) they quickly subsided. We had a general ocean view room which again was quite large compared to other hotels we've stayed at and the view could not have been better - ocean views for as far as the eye can see. The staff could not be faltered as with the presentation of the hotel. To be honest the only real 'negative' I could think of was a slight language barrier, but that's more my problem than theirs. Oh and another thing which has been mentioned by other reviewers was that the beds were very firm but at the end of a long day of shopping, swimming etc, falling asleep was not an issue. Otherwise, the lazy pool could not be beaten. The kids literally cried upon leaving. Along with this pool there were another 3 pools to choose from. The food was very good with a childrens menu that seemed to give our kids a few options to choose from. The buffet breakfast seemed endless with everything from curries, soups and dinner like meals to your regular freshly cooked omlettes, eggs, pancakes etc. It was location approx 10mins from Patong which cost about 300 hundred baht ($8AU) by tuktuk or there was a free shuttle that left the hotel twice a day. It was just far enough to be away from the manic Patong but close enough to go for a few hours each night to eat and shop. The hotel beach itself was pristine. The sand was goldent and the water blue and clean. We went in June which is the wet season however we had absolutely not rain - it was hot, sunny and clear every day. The water was rough and unless you were a very confident swimmer I would advise against going out too far. But the kids and I stayed relatively close to the shore and loved being rolled around by the incoming waves which were a welcome relief from the heat.
Overall, if you're looking for a family holiday at a great price (they usually have a stay/pay type deal) I don't think you can go wrong. You probably don't even have to leave the hotel as every whim is catered for. While we have never stayed or visited the same place twice, this may come close to being the first

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an upper level so your viewed won't be obscured
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had our wedding at Centara Grand Beach Hotel. Everything went smoothly.
The staff were all very helpful and willing to try to fulfill your every wish.

Fongfa and Nan were my wedding organiser. They speak English fluently. They are very friendly, organised and they respond to e-mails very quickly.

Chef Sandro was very friendly and accommodating. Him and his staff prepared great food for our guests.

We are very happy with the service provided.

This hotel has amazing pools.

The hotel room is clean and fancy but it was a little difficult to get to our room that was on level 4.

The hotel location is close to the busy part of Karon. But there are no food places right outside the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Our family of four stayed for five days in this hotel. Our overall experience was good especially amazed by the beautiful rooms, beach, pool and extremely friendly staff. Breakfast was fantastic too. Our kids aged 5 and 3 simply loves this place. Downside was limited shuttle services to patong where main shopping was and was pain to hv to hire expensive tuk tuk and taxis. Would suggest renting a car which cost much lesser. Water from the tap is rusty n no advice was given where my two buys actually drank milk made from the boiled rusty water for the first day till i found rust coming out from the tap, recep explained all water in Karon is like that. However hotel should hv responsibility to inform. Somemore the staff says the water is safe to drink after boiling?? I was stunned! Lastly, we booked the hotel thru asia web which states a discount of 25% off regular room price but was not attended to properly by the recep who apparently does not understand what we meant after 30 mins of explanation. The deposits paid thru Asia web was also not recognized by hotel staff who refused to deduct it from our total bill insisting that the deposits we paid is "discount" and I totally cannot make them understand the differnce between a discount and deposit. Anyway we enjoyed the place and decided to just pay the hotel what was billed moreover we hv a flight to catch. Suggest hotel looked into booking thru such agencies and the few problems mentioned. It will the stay more perfect .. Will go back again .
C from Singapore

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Your overall positive review is really helping us, May I thank you for this and the recognition on the quality of the bedroom, the beach sand, the pool and Breakfast.

We had issues with the water provided with the municipality recently. All has been fixed on the long run. But as indicated in the Guest directory and in most hotels if not all hotels in Thailand tap water is not drinkable, this why we provide free of charge sealed bottled drinkable water in the bedrooms. I really regret that this was poorly communicated to you.

The 25% discount was given by Asia Web at the source of the booking that is to say at the time you purchased your stay with them and could not be accumulated at the resort. Again, we really need to improve the way we explain situation at reception.

We are working on this encouraging our staff who struggle to elevate difficulties to higher management and with the increased shuttle to town we are looking forward to having to and your family back for an even more pleasant stay.

Thank you for staying this time.

Macau, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights (4 nights summer promotion), 4 adults & 1 child.

1. Check in : Centara Grand Beach Resort and Spa has over 250 rooms, only 3 receiptionists handle check in and check out at the same time every day, can you imagine how long they can finish 1 check in or 1 check out? We use over 1.5 hours for check in and over 1 hour for check out. After my complaint, they told me it is reasonable !!!

2. Unattention : Even I made them a phone call before I arrived (2 weeks before I arrived), and my requestion was our 2 rooms must be twin beds, after their receiptionists confirmed, when I arrived, they still gave me one queen bed size room !!!

3. Swimming pool : Can you imagine a phuket resort will close their swimming pool at six o'clock?
Centara Grand Beach Resort & Spa close their swimming pool at 6 p.m. every day. After I applied my sun lotion, ready to have my sunbathe, they closed !!! I have one child, he was going to play at their swimming pool, they closed !!!

4. Swimming pool bar : They close at 4 p.m. every day. After we have our lunch, then I think 4:30 p.m. would be our tea time at swimming pool, after they gave you the menu, and ready to order what we like, they closed !!!

5. Poor breakfast : They have melons, pineapples, and papaya I can eat everyday, and some fried eggs, that's all !!!

6. Expensive : Over US$200 per room per night (the cheapest room type), you can stay at "Banyan Tree", "Le Meridien", "Holiday Inn", "Hilton", "Sheraton", etc... (many 5 stars resort in Phuket), why do you chose "Centara" ???

7. Unclean everywhere : you can see many small inserts in your rooms like bugs, cockroaches, ants, etc ~~~

8. No facilities : Even a playgame room for children, only 2 Wii for them to queue up one by one, of course my child have to wait 1 hour to queue for 1 game, that's all !!!

9. Unpolite safegurad at siwmming pool : they use a whistle and loud noise to warn every happy children in swimming pool, so you can hear "B B B B" everywhere, everytime in Centara. Can your holiday will be good in such circumstance ???

10. You cannot sleep : We book 2 rooms, both rooms' air conditioners like big engines, every night, we seemed we were sleep in an aeroplane from Phuket to US. Can you imagine the sould is so large and can you sleep well ???

There are more than 10 reasons not to stay at Centara, if you are there, it is very easy to find out more. Thank you for your reading...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for posting the second review on the obvious same stay.
Looking at the last 10 other reviews surely there are more than 10 reasons to stay at Centara Grand Beach resort Phuket.
Best Regards,
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Currently in my 5th day of our 13 day stay and will write a review for the 1st part of our trip.

Travelling with my wife and 2 kids 8 (birthday today) and 9.

After a long flight from Adelaide to KL and then to Phuket on June 26th which was delayed for an hour finally got to resort about 8pm to find out we had been upgraded from a Premium Spa Room with 2 Doubles to a Pool Suite.

Also was offered complimentary internet for the stay due to not getting my room as it was "overbooked" and would not be available until June 28th.

Thought ok I would go with the pool suite in Block 6 even though I would have preferred block 8 or 9.

Got to the Room and it was nice but there was only a King Bed and there was 4 of us?

Was not happy and after initially agreeing to allowing 2 extra beds thought this aint going to work when they started to bring them in - wouldn't have room to move let alone enjoy the stay.

They then offered me a free dinner 1 night at the resort which was all well and good but I wanted my room.

I called for the manager on duty and a girl called Kik arrived.

I let out my frustrations on her as we were all very tired and she really could do nothing except offer to move us in the morning into another pool suite but this time a double a few doors down which in the end I agreed to.

The next morning this was all done by 12pm and we had moved and this was what I expected - a room set up for 2 doubles and even though it was not the Premium Spa Room the kids loved the private pool so instead of moving again on the 28th we decided to stay.

Kik who I initially let my frustrations out on and who was very professional the whole time followed up the next day and made sure all was ok.

I felt very bad for the way I acted and sort to find her so I could apologise and thank her for making sure our holiday was not ruined - like I said 1st impressions are not always right and she did everything she could to help us out.

Since the move into the new room the stay has been fantastic - resort is beautiful, staff are all friendly, no long waits for lunch by the pool and to me 30 mins is acceptable when you are on holiday.

Buffet is fantastic in the morning and beach although dangerous to swim in out far is great to go in knee deep with the kids who love the splashing waves - just dont go out too far.

The rock jumps are awesome and my daughter loves them, my son loves the slides and the lazy river is great.

And for me to right this review in the middle of our stay was because today it was my daughters birthday and as we were relaxing in our room this afternoon on June 30th and we had a knock on the door and a birthday cake was delivered and no doubt Kik was behind this and we will thank her ever so much for making our daughter just smile so much - when she saw that cake she thought of Kik straight away and her words were "I love Kik".

So 1st impressions are not always right - things happen but when a resort and staff go out of there way to make it right then you know you have chosen wisely.

Will follow up with the rest of the review at the end of out stay.

PS Red Onion is defintely a great place to eat as many reviewers have said.

Also did the Phang Nga Bay speedboat Tour with Phuket Sail Tours and not dissappointed - Mark the Captain was great.

Room Tip: Haven't tried Spa so no rating. Pool Suite 611 is awesome - close to the main pools.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest currently stay in the hotel

Khun Kik the person who handled your issue on arrival really appreciates the recognition you gave on the recent review.

Looking forward to meeting you before your departure.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

If you want to go somewhere to relax and for the kids to enjoy themselves then this is the place. We really have enjoyed our 6 night stay here as have our 8 & 11 year old children.
Rooms: Deluxe Pool Room- Great room, facilities were excellent, Room serviced everyday . Pool was a bit chilly but still nice to have, bed was very hard which I believe is common in Thailand however the staff added a few padding layers to the bed for us which made it much better.
Facilities: Gym was excellent, well equipped and spacious. Swimming pool, lazy river, diving drop, water slides all are superb, I think the best I have come across. Adults pool was gorgeous very quiet with lovely ocean views. The hotel was at 90% + occupancy the whole time we were there and there was still pool lounges available each day. Kids club was great the boys asked to go there and do some of the activities that are scheduled. There are planned activities for the guests every day if you want to join in. I did the Thai cooking class - would recommend this experience Alex was a wonderful teacher, the local markets tour was a great part of the day. The spa offers some wonderful looking packages, we didn't use this but others said they were very happy with their services.
Food: Breakfast - so many choices you will not be disappointed, I think this is the best buffet breakfast I have had. We did the themed dinners each night the Seafood night and BBQ night on the beach were our favorites. This is more expensive then dining in Karon but totally convenient and if you get bonanza baht for your stay it makes them cheaper.
The Club: what an excellent service this was, a lovely way to cool down and have a cold drink through the day or enjoy a cold beer or cocktail each night.
Location: tucked away at the end of Karon Beach it is a 10min walk along the beach to town, otherwise Tuk Tuks are available. Karon is much quieter than Patong & Kata which is why we came here so we were pleased to enjoy the peacefulness of the area.
Overall we really loved our stay & wished we had stayed longer, we checked out the other room types whilst we were there as we will be definately be coming back. Thanks Centara GBR you were great, Nan, Ing & Monthip where exceptional staff & took care of any little thing that popped up during our stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had very high expectations of this holiday. Being our first trip to Thailand we were beyond excited. I researched endlessly to make sure we got the best possible place to stay. Here are the thoughts of my husband and I. We are a newly married couple.

ROOM:
We booked the Deluxe Pool Suite for 14 nights. The room was beautiful and modern. Everything was clean and well presented. We loved the massive bathroom and large deep bath. One MASSIVE LETDOWN was our rock hard bed. At home we have a firm bed but this bed was rock HARD! We complained twice and the staff quickly responded but adding soft underlay’s to the bed. This hardly helped at all. We then mentioned it to the manager but nothing was done after this. It did spoil the sleep in's we were hoping for. I would suggest the hotel offer options for harder or softer mattresses as our friends staying at the Kathitani resort had. The blinds were an absolute pain! They took forever to put up and down and were very noisy.

ROOM SERVICE:
We were happy with the room cleaning offered every day. When ordering room service, the longest we ever waited was around 25 mins, which was very acceptable. I didn't think that bugs were a real issue, we simple asked the hotel for some bug spray and it was left with us for the duration of our stay. The cleaning staff cannot understand English, this was very frustrating for us when we had any small questions or comments they were never understood. The other staffs have generally good English and we didn’t have too many issues.

RESTAURANT:
The breakfast daily was sensational. We were so happy to have such great variety every morning! Try the Banana Roti with condensed milk, to die for! Also the omelets everyday was beautiful. There are so many different things to try from curries, fried rice, fruits, yoghurt, bacon and eggs, pancakes and the list goes on. Service at breakfast was excellent. The Mare restaurant is forgettable. We had lunch and dinner here a few times and it was very average. Pizza was bland, had a lasagne which was nothing special. We enjoyed the selection of breads given before the meals with olive oil and balsamic vinegar that was a nice touch. This restaurant is also so much more expensive than anywhere outside the resort, which I guess is to be expected. We didn’t have the buffet dinners at the resort so I cannot comment on this. Room service food was lovely. The club sandwich and beef burger were our favorites.

SPA:
I unfortunately only got to experience this fantastic spa once. I had the hot stone massage which I highly recommend, very much worth the 2,500 baht price tag. We had a very disappointing experience at the spa on our last day. We left on a bad note. My husband and I booked 2 hot stone massages at the same time in their couple’s room. Unfortunately he fell ill with food poisoning and we had to cancel his appointment. I still enjoyed my massage. On my way out of the spa that night I booked him in for 2 days later at 1:00pm. When he got better the next day we decided that we would both have the massage. We asked to add me to the appointment but this was not possible. So we rescheduled for 2 massages at 2:00pm instead. Saturday came along and we checked out and spent some time at the pools before heading off to our perfectly planned massages which would kill 2 hours for us, as we were waiting to be picked up for the airport at 5:45pm that evening. As soon as we opened the door of the Spa reception we had 4 ladies staring at us saying that my husband’s appointment was at 1pm. We said that we had changed the appointment a day earlier and watched the staff member change our appointments. They said we could both have regular massage but we were not happy with this as we had been looking forward to these special massages. We had already had normal massages at other locations.

We left the spa very angry and upset, heading straight to the manager. We tried to explain to his what happened and after a few times of telling the story he understood (I think). He called the spa and spoke to one of the ladies there who explained that another couple has called the spa and cancelled their appointment but our appointments were cancelled instead! The staff lied to us and tried to blame us for the incident by telling us we had missed our appointment. The manager called the sister hotels of the Centara to ask if they had hot stone massages available. The best they could do was to take only one of us at an inconvenient time. And then we were told there was nothing else he could do. The manager did not give any other compensation; we walked out very annoyed that we would now spend the next 3 hours in the heat, without a room, without our massage. I asked the manager if we could have our room back for the next few hours but the best he could offer was the club lounge. We headed up there and told the staff we had never been there before and we were trying to kill time before our pick up time much later.

We sat there for the next 3 hours staring at a wall and trying to sleep. After 3 hours one of the staff members said “Would you like to watch some TV?” We were infuriated! Nobody had mentioned to us that there was a room with a TV and magazines attached to the room we were sitting in staring at the wall. We were due to leave 20 mins later. During this time I went back to the manager and asked if there was anything else he could do as my husband was very upset. He asked me what I wanted from him; I asked if we could at the very least have afternoon tea in the club lounge for free while we waited and he agreed. We both left very sour and because of this incident we will not be returning to the Centara Grand. I felt that a lot more should have done for us seeing as we stayed 14 nights at the resort, ate there, used their taxis, drank at their bars, and tipped the staff generously every time. We spent a lot of money at this resort and were left disappointed by the handling of this.

LOCATION:
The resort is located about a 10 min walk along the beach from Karon. The taxi ride to and from Karon was 200 baht, around $7 I believe. It was not the best location for a couple who wanted to leave for shopping and lunch and dinners every day, the fares added up! The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the Jungcelyn Shopping Center twice a day for 14 guests. This was always fully booked unless you booked about 2 days in advance. This was something we used but for the number of guests, there should be more shuttles running. The normal cost to go to this shopping center was 400 baht. So the shuttle did save us money. The beach had a lot of rubbish everywhere, the resort should be cleaning the area at least in front much more regularly, maybe then we would have considered swimming in the ocean.

OVERALL:
We enjoyed our stay here; it was an expensive resort in all areas but for the most part worth it. We are not going to return because we want to stay closer to the Patong area and we were very disappointed by our last day at the resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe pool rooms room 515. The "Private Pool" is anything but! There is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the overall great review you posted recently on your stay with us.

I am distressed to realize our major shortfall on the last Spa experience and would like to deeply apologize to you.
I have taken this incident as the base of an extensive re training in handling complains with our management. We should have handled this much better.

At the time of your return in Phuket please feel free to contact me as I will find ways to make do for this unacceptable let down.

Above all may thank you for having chosen our resort for your important holiday, rest assured that I am taking step for significant improvement and again please accept my deepest apology for having tarnished the last moment of your stay.

Your Sincerely,

Denis

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!