“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket

Save Saved
You added Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket to your Saves list
Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   683 Patak Road, Karon Beach | Muang, Phuket, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Karon
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We arrived at the hotel in Dec 2011 and although the rooms were where requested, they were not connecting. This made the first three days a bit difficult but the hotel definitely tried there best to compensate for this error on their part and gave us an adjoining executive suite on the other side of our room at no extra costs. The Centarra Grand Beach Resort Hotel is tucked away at the Northern Corner of Caron Beach. Although the hotel is on the beach front of this public beach, the fact that is is at the end of the beach means that the beach is used mainly by hotel guests. Beach side service is available at the edge of the beach on hotel loungers. Moving closer to the actual sea, one would then have to use lounges owned by private traders. Great cheap food is available on the beach as well as massages all at Thailands favourable prices. The pool is also on the beach and has a water slide facility adjoining it. So yup...the beach and pool area get a 5* rating. Pool side menu is however a bit lacking. Breakfasts are first class and rooms are also excellent. If you want to be near the beach and pool look at getting gound rooms in Buildings 9 or 8. As family with young kids we also had the need to visit the clinic on 2 occasions, The hotel nurse was great on both occasions. We however were told that new year dinner celebrations is compulsory. The 30000 baht fee was bit excessive for a buffet which excluded hotel drinks. The hotel gym is ample.

Room Tip: Building 9 ground floor facing the ocean
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

If you have read my review before, you would know I always try to be objective. Never cynical, I share my experience the way I see it as I am a brand consultant and know where the problem lies.

The trip to the Centara Grand Beach was a little disappointing considering the fact that I paid close to THB10,000 a night for a Deluxe Ocean Facing Room, the basic of all room types. I took 2 rooms for 5 nights, and that is almost THB100,000 or USD3000.

When I checked in, I informed the reception and concierge that my baggage was misplaced and was waiting for it's arrival. Passed them all the documents and asked them to help me follow up and sent the bag to my room when it arrives, that is at or around 7pm local time.

At 9pm, I called the reception and asked them if they have heard any news and was told they will check and call me back. Never did. I checked again the next morning and the same thing happened. I called again after checking with the airport and informed them what time to expect the bag and had to remind them to send my luggage up to the room at the designated time given by the airport. What I'm saying here is positioned as a 5-star property, helping distressed guest track a misplaced luggage should be trained, especially if the guest does not speak Thai and may need their help to check with local authority on updates. I do speak Thai and instructed them in Thai but I expected better service.

Room was OK, in my opinion big enough for my family. Our room was interconnected via balcony and the sofa bed was turned into a child's bed for my boys, however, it's not big or long enough for a Caucasian teenager or adult.

Housekeeping needs to be told everyday what to do in order to get things right. Some day I had only 1 towel in a room occupied by 4, balcony was not cleaned unless I instruct them so, I also need to repeatedly asked for toothbrush and toothpaste everyday in order to get them replenish. Tidying the room like bed, sweeping the floor etc was done without asking but throughout my stay, they never bothered to tidy the table or bathroom vanity top. It was left as is condition.

Pool was a great hit with my boys. I saw them cleaning the pool every morning but pool side attendant could improve their service too. Service call bell was available some days but not on others, so guest have to walk their way to the bar in order to place their order. On one particular incident, I ordered lunch 20 minutes ahead of kitchen opening and was told that lunch cannot be served till later which was fine with me. I informed the waiter to go ahead with my order and send me the food later after the kitchen has opened. My food never came.

I subscribed to a 7-day wifi plan. Speed with normal for Thai standard, at THB500 which I think is reasonable though I think it should be provided for free as it does not cost the hotel any additional cost.

The location of the hotel is the beginning or end of Karon beach depending which way you arrive from with no immediate shops within 10 minutes walking distance, except 3 shack by the beach that serves local fare. As I was very familiar with the location, I came prepared. For those without a transportation mean, please be prepared to pay for taxi.

Breakfast was mediocre by Thai standard. I mean Centara is a local chain hotel and if they can't get their local fare right, something is really wrong in the kitchen. My son asked for a hard boiled egg one morning and was given a raw cold egg. The Khao Tom (local porridge) was tasteless and should be done the Thai style. There are a wide choices of variety but it's all the usual fare, just nothing special.

Overall a good resort and if you are not particular about those points I have made, this resort is ideal for family with children. But if I would come back here again the next time, a very big maybe, not a definite yes. The management should tighten up their act and this could be the best family oriented property in Phuket.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Bhubaneswar, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We were stayed here on October-2011.Its was a 2 days trip and when i returned to India I did not found this hotel in trip advisor and wrote to trip advisor to add this hotel.As its was a superb experiance in my whole trip.The swimming pool and activities is superb to enjoy the trip.The beach ares is very clean.When you will go to beach just see at your right side a small resturant is there.We enjoyed our bear,Fresh Juice @ low cost there.Its in Karon beach.The best part all would apreciate is its bath room.Its a open type toilet.

Room Tip: Near Pool are good for view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Niederdorla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We had booked a Deluxe Pool Suite, which we understood to be the most expensive room category, except for the villas, so when we arrived we had fairly high expectations. However, it turned out the "suite" was basically a fairly small single room with a large bathroom integrated in the room, with no walls. Also the terrace and plunge pool were very small indeed, and overlooking the hotel's car-park (room 116 it was I think, not sure though).

Anyway, since we had to accomodate a baby cot in the room as well as five suitcases I asked reception if we could change rooms, really hoping for an alternative in the same price range. However, I was told that there was no such alternative, only the opulent villas.

I had no choice, given our baby and space requirements so I looked at the villas. These are very good indeed, very large, sunken living room, with two flatscreen tvs, a larger terrace and a larger 7x2 m pool, and 8 metre high ceilings. On top of the amountI had already paid in Germany for the Deluxe Pool Suite the receptionist asked for an additional amount of money. He handled it very well and agreed to negotiate the price, so in the end we got a fairly good deal, given the list price of the villa. Can it be however, that people with children who are not happy about the amount of space in their rooms are shown the villas straight away, as a way to fill these hard to sell accomodation options? Anyway, I was glad I was offered the villa at a fair price, but you have been warned.

Regarding the pools the main pool and children pool are joined together. Both pools are very good, the children one in particular, thought it has a slide and some of the older children use it a lot even though it is supposed to be for smaller children so it can get a bit noisy. The lazy river has a wonderful floor feeling but again is very much monopolised by raucous older children, given the two fun slides which indeed are great fun for old and young. Unfortunately the lazy river is right on top of one of the main housing blocks, which is the case with the main pool as well, at least on one side. Despite the great size of the resort you do not see these large manicured lawn areas and everything feels a bit cramped in the main pool area, though it really isn't.

The sun beds are all plastic, but surprisingly comfortable and they do not feel cheap at all, there are also plenty of umbrellas provided. The hotel even has four or five Bales, covered pavillions, which they call "Salas" in Thailand, however, only two of them are not on the busy lazy river island abutting a housing block, and these two are also not particularly secluded. When we wanted to rent one I unfortunately found it was overrun by ants and had to pass. The pool area does not seem very well run, every morning when we arrived there was nobody there to hand out towels and we had to wait 20 minutes or so as they make you put your name and room number down in a book.

There is also an adult only pool, which was a bit secluded, but having a baby we were not allowed to use it. Ironically we were not allowed to use the child nursery either, since our baby is only 2 and the nursery only accepts children from age 4, for a reason unbeknownst to me. Having said that, a friendly young girl there agreed to look after our baby for 15 minutes as a one off anyway which was very nice of her. The adult pool looked very good, but was perhaps a bit a small for this kind of large resort.

The resort has two main restaurants and I am happy to say both are excellent. The Thai chef cooked some of the best Thai food during our entire stay and the Cove restaurant also has a good Indian chef, so the menu is huge. What's more the service is excellent and people make a genuine effort to get things right. The other main restaurant is Italian and it had Pizza that was better than Pizza we had in Italy, again with very good service. The prices are NOT too expensive, and in fact quite reasonable given the high quality of outdoor seating, expect 1800 to 2000 Baht for two people. If only the seat cushions were a bit firmer and not so soft that you sink in right away but overall I was positively impressed by the quality of the food and the service.

At breakfast we usually had a waitress named Kwan who was very good indeed and ensured we had a baby seat and everything went smoothly. Everyone was very fond of our daughter which was a very nice experience for her. The main breakfast buffet is of the usual standard catering for Australian, American, Indian, Thai and Japanese guests, though for us Germans perhaps the sandwich meat selection is a bit small and not having rolls was a surprise. Still, the baguette is very good and the selection of cakes, pastries, pancakes, rotis, eggs as you like, and so on is quite impressive. Also the coffee was very good, though Italian, not Thai or Indonesian.

The beach in front of the hotel is quite good, though it looks a bit unkempt and populated with cheap massage camps. The pipe going into the sea does not carry sewage, but rather saltwater that is pumped into a water facility, I asked a German manager. I did not find it disturbing in any way.

The Hotel's Spa is excellent, truly impressive. The massage is also very good and again a real effort was made, and the prices are reasonable. The fitness room also looked well appointed and use was free of charge.

The Hotel has its own fleet of cars. They charge about 35% more than the going rate, but then the cars are of high standards and you get the comfort of quick and easy transport. If price is an issue avoid the taxi touts outside and head into Karon, or better yet take a trip to Phuket Old Town and get the card of a driver you like there as prices are cheapest there. Then hire him for 3-6 hours at a time for 1200 or 1800 Baht respectively.

The Hotel makes a great effort with night entertainment, there was almost always a very entertaining show on offer, with beautiful decoration and dancers or singers. Also the top floor Hotel bar is very very pleasant and has a wonderful atmosphere.

The premium Club Service consists of a special lounge where you can partake of delicious cakes and free internet, two computers only are available but both are usually unoccupied and you can even get a DVD from a tiny selection of rather good films. Here the creme de la creme of service staff will usually speak to in good English and in a most friendly way, which was a surprise given the demanding and rude way some (Asian) tourists address these staff. I witnessed one tourist being most unpleasant and the staff keeping her courteous and pleasant manner throughout, I was very impressed. Furthermore they think of things to do for you on your check out and get it done without you having to do much, it really was very impressive service there, so well worth the cost.

Room service is good and the food was not cold when it arrived. Once I ordered a Baguette and got some toast, but the kitchen staff returned with a Baguette and apologised and asked we keep the sandwich toast for free. English may have been a problem, but the courteous and attentive service was very good. It made up for the long wait for the suitcases and babycot when we arrived and switched rooms (2 hours), when there must have been some miscommunication.

Regarding the mosquito situation we had three or four mosquitos on our terrace, after heavy rains, however, since the hotel sprays regularly mosquitos are not a huge problem in the resort I am glad to report.

In our villa we even got a Christmas tree on 23rd December, which was nicely decorated and I thought it was a really nice gesture. The cleaning staff was very good allround.

All in all, I would certainly stay at this resort again, due to the good service, the quality restaurants, the opulent pool landscapes and a generally luxurious feel throughout the resort, all made possible by wonderful people who get paid as little as 7000 Baht I was told by a gardener, so give tips whenever possible. I very much enjoyed the quiet of the villa and would opt for this again, no trampling above or at the sides, but of course this does cost a bit extra, but still within reasonable limits. Perhaps the hotel could improve on the English of some staff, but this is a general problem in Phuket and not limited to the hotel. Some of the items in our room were a bit dated, there was mould in our hotel booklet, but overall the staff make a good effort and things are kept clean without too many insects or mosquitos.

Room Tip: Avoid the Deluxe Pool Suites, they have no privacy, instead upgrade to a Villa, it's the best.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, Northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with 2 other adults and was given a small roll out bed that was placed alongside the other 2 beds, meaning that we had to "shimmy" to the bottom of the bed to get out of it. We thought we had requested a premium deluxe instead of deluxe and were extremely disappointed to see the small balcony that only had room for 2 sun loungers, not much good for the 3 of us! Breakfast was very food, lots of choice. It was advertised to run until 10.30 but in reality it was 11 by the time they took the food away, great if you wanted a lie in. The gym was excellent, very well equipped and very cool with free water and towels. I found the hotel expensive for food and drinks. We befriended the people selling drinks/hiring sunbeds on the beach to the left of the massage tents (facing the sea) and the beer was much cheaper. We ate in their restaurant 4 nights of our 7 night stay, it looks like a bit of a shack but far better than 2gether and bamboo-something we chose in the town because of trip advisor reviews. They ordered us huge tiger prawns in for the next day and even gave us a lift back to the hotel after our dinner! There was a group of Israeli tourists (about 10 of them) who also ate there every night. The cook was very obliging and allowed them to watch and ask questions while she prepared their food. You can get there by walking along the beach but if you walk down the hill past the taxi rank there is a plank over the wee channel and you can easily walk there without getting your feet wet in 5 minutes. We did 2 tours, one to phi phi and one to James bond island, both of which I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2011
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for your feed back which we very much appreciated as always.
Our reservation record shows that you booked a Deluxe Ocean Bedroom, the type you were offered on arrival and stayed in.
In this particular bedroom type there are 2 bedroom configurations.
A king size bed or 2 queen size beds 1.4 meter wide by 2 meter long
The later type is enjoyed by families wanting to share the same bedroom with their children.
The hotel food price comment is well noted and the difference of beer price between the beach hut operated outside the hotel and our bar is Thai Baths 10 or Euro 0.25 or USD 0.33.
Warm regards,
Denis
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This hotel had recentley opened when we went over xmas and new year 2010-2011 i couldnt fault the hotel or the rooms they were amazing, however the new year gala dinner was fish fish and more fish if you have kids that dont like fish then you would be catching a tut tut to macdonlds. other than that everything was perfect i would deffo reccomend this hotel...

Room Tip: Beach front room with plunge pool
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Having just got back from 11 nights at this dream resort, just had to get on here and tell you all about it. The lobby is not as breathtaking as some (or most) other 5 star resorts we have been to, and seen here in Thailand; but that's the only downside. The staff are typical Thai. Friendly,
helpful, and about as efficient as you could want in a top resort. Located right on Karon beach, plus it's own 5 or so pools: a great place to unwind. A couple of dedicated restaurants, plus pool service, bars and snack style restaurants poolside, all great. Mam and the team from "The Cove" all day dining, make sure you are well looked after from the massive breakfast buffet, and in fact any time you feel the need to eat. The rooms, ( we had a beach facing room with large balcony) are spacious, clean and very well furnished. A pleasure to sit on the balcony and watch the sunset over the Andaman sea. All in all, the best thing we can say is; "We will be back."

Room Tip: sea view. Large Balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!