“Excellent family holiday. If you want 5* pay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Baan Karon View Phuket

You added Baan Karon View Phuket to your Saves list
Baan Karon View Phuket
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4/26 Soi Patak 24, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #38 of 72 Hotels in Karon
Dubai
“Excellent family holiday. If you want 5* pay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked at this apartment complex as there were 5 of us, myself my husband 2 daughters 20 and 24yrs and my stepson 10yrs. We were greeted at reception and dealt with so professionally. When we were taken to the apartment we were delighted by it as it more than met our needs as a family. It was comfortable, including the beds, which can be a challenge anywhere in Thailand!
The breakfast is served in a small area next to the pool, and consisted of toast, any style eggs, bacon and some Thai dishes, juice tea and coffee. It was more than enough to start the day on.
Yes we had some power cuts, but to be honest it added to the fun and having stayed in 5* hotels as cabin crew in Thailand we had them in those hotels too, it is not uncommon in Thailand! We had housekeeping every day and always came back to nicely made beds and a clean room. The location was very good indeed, as we were about 20mins by Tuk Tuk to the busier town. At first we did not use the Tuk Tuk parked outside believing it to be more expensive, but on one day due to rain we decided to ask him the price and he was actually cheaper, and a very polite man, so use him! All in all a great and cheap place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My Family went to this hotel in August 2012 for three weeks, The two bedroom apartment was very big and spacious.
The bathrooms were fantastic & the staff were very friendly, The rooms were cleaned and bedding was changed every day.
Great location only 5 minutes to the shops and restarants & beach. We will be back next year.
The Rush Family.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I was part of a group of 3 that travelled to this hotel for 8 nights in June 2012. I did not choose the hotel myself and was very apprehensive when I read the reviews online. Comments such as 'unclean', 'terrible breakfasts' and 'staff don't speak english' had me very concerned. When we arrived at the hotel I was worried when we were led to a tiny reception hidden inside one of the apartment buildings, but this is where my concerns ended. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment, which was absolutely amazing! It was brand new, overlooking one of the pools and could not have been cleaner. The kitchen was a pleasant surprise, the TV was enormous and the spa in the bathroom was enticing (although we never used it). We paid just over $800 for the 8 nights, and frankly, you would struggle to get a room half to size for less than twice the cost.

The restaurant area was small, but the food they served was more that adequate. No it wasn't the same size buffet that you would get at a larger resort, but I thought it was fine. The three pools were small, but they were clean, they were a nice temperature, and they were very quiet.

As previously mentioned, I arrived expecting to struggle to communicate with the staff, but they were competent english speakers and were more than able to handle anything we asked of them.

The hotel itself is situated at the northern end of Karong, so the area is much quieter than it is in the centre of town, which was nice. The property is on quite a steep hill, so be prepared for that, but it isn't too bad. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from the beach, where there are cheap restaurants (we were able to feed 3 of us comfortably for 450 baht or ~$15 AUD). There is also a supermarket and a 7-eleven less than 5 minutes from the hotel, and given the enormous fridge in the apartment, we were able to stock up on cheap drinks. Contrary to what we had been told, the hotel provides free bottles of drinking water every day.

In summary, this hotel is no competition for the big beachside resorts of Phuket, but nor does it pretend to be. But in all honesty, if you are paying $100 a night and are expecting to get a 5 star resort, of course you are going to be disappointed. But if you head there recognising that you are not paying a lot and that you are getting a very good deal, you are going to be very satisfied.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Was a terrible choice we made that nearly ruin our whole holiday.
First of all, by booking direct with the hotel, they charge you half your stay as a form of deposit.. so you can't back-out unless you don't mind having your deposit forfeited...
Second, out of the 48 hours we were there, we were stranded without electric supply for more than 8 hours... bearing in mind that the apartment (we were staying in the top floor apartment with Jacuzzi) was so huge... the entire place was sooo stuffy. When we tired to open the window, we were swarmed with mosquito bites.. and it was a lot of bites that we suffered... And that was staggered into 3 different occurance, with each occurance lasting more than an hour...
What you booked comes with the bare minimum.. if I can caution you... with pool towels for you to collect from the reception once a day only.. rooms only furbish with bath towels (no hand towels or face towels)... without any tea or coffee facilities.. even though they boast of a small kitchenette. They don't even have spare torchlights in the rooms for you even though I understand from the staff that power failure is common.
The road leading up to the apartment.. (I won't even consider it a hotel or resort) is very steep.. so if your car is low or you come by taxi, high chances is that you have to walk up with your luggage. and even at the grounds, you have flights of steps to take before reaching the lift landing.
For the steep price you are paying (for the roof-top jacuzzi that is forever cold) and an apratment with unpredictable power supply, you'll be better off anywhere else...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had booked the deluxe rooftop apartment, but when we arrived was told that this was not available as they had a problem with the Jacuzzi, and they had another room for us. I asked if we could just have room and not use it, but they said no, think they had over booked myself but I maybe wrong. The problem is that we had booked the Deluxe rooftop apartment for a reason as we wanted to spoil our self’s and have our own Jacuzzi and a great view of Karon, We looked at many properties in Phuket and decided on this, but did not get what we wanted, I asked them why they had not emailed us to advise this and give us the opportunity to change accommodation, but no answer was given.
We were told we could only have it for our last night. We were then given another apartment that did not have the right bedding that we needed and the aircon did not work in our bedroom. They did fix this up, and I will say the apartments are to a high standard and they did offer us a discount on the cheaper room. But it was a huge disappointment as we had planned our holiday around spending 3 nights here in a nice apartment with good view, but did not get. The management needs to look at this as I had personally phoned the hotel many months in advance to give deposit and confirm the room we wanted. The Staff Member that we had to deal with did not really seem to care as I had to keep going back to them with small problems. The apartments don’t even have TV in the bedrooms and the Wi-Fi is not good, but when you are paying good money for the apartments you expect everything to be perfect. Wont stay here again

Room Tip: Check to see if that have what you think you are getting.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My partner and I stayed in a 2-bedroom suite at the Baan Karon View Phuket for 4 nights from 24/3/12 - 28/3/12.

As had described by earlier reviews on this property, the room itself is very spacious and comfortable. No issues at all about that. But then again, thats about the ONLY selling point that BKV has.

This is basically just an apartment accommodation trying to pass off as a resort in Karon, Phuket by having a small little swimming pool, with an equally small breakfast area for guests. The eating area has just only about 4-5 seats and the food served is more like canteen-styled. Wondered where the rest of the guests are expected to sit for breakfast if there is more than 10 guests there at the same time. Anyway, we skipped breakfast at BKV after the 1st morning and went out to eat on our own. Not worth the effort at all to go down to that little canteen by the equally little pool just to have a mediocre breakfast.

Even though the room itself is very spacious (as had been commended many times before), one get the feeling that management is trying to cut cost with the usual things that travellers are accustomed to for comfort in their holiday, eg. simple things like towels.

For such a big and nice apartment, we are each provided with just only one worn-out thin bath towel. No hand towels or face towels at all in the bathroom (where you can even easily have in a cheaper and smaller hotel). All kind of drying are expected to be done with that one single pathetic towel.

None of the earlier reviews , besides commending on the rooms, had said anything much at all about the surroundings and the compound within this property. I had like to be more balanced in my review and write more on that so that travellers considering BKV as their choice resort in Karon would know what they are letting themselves in for.

Outside of the rooms, everything esle abt BKV is not what you can call "selling points" of a beach resort or even a normal holiday hotel stay.

The compound (if you can call that) of BKV is very small - not the usual resort or holiday-feel that one has when on a holiday trip.

To begin with, the very entrance to the check-in lobby is a narrow and EXTREMELY steep slope - think of something like a 30-degrees something gradient or more uphill walk (see my photos attached.)

To make a bad situation worse, the ground where the street level joins the beginning of that steep slope is in a very deplorable state. Loose slabs of concrete ,with gaps in between, which are several inches lower than the beginning of that climb, posed a serious challenge to folks like us who drove. (see pic) Simply getting in and out of the premise is an unpleasant affair of hearing scrapping and bumping sounds of the car against the road.

To me, this is a sign of an establishment which do not take pride in projecting a good image of its property to its guests. If the entrance/exit to a premise thats catering for people who are on holiday, can't be a big and grand one due to space constraint, then the very least it should be is to be a smooth and easy one. I mean , this is the doorstep that you are welcoming your guests. Shouldn't more effort be made to make it more welcoming and pleasing to the eyes ??

The BKV is built on a 2-tier steep slope. The check-in lobby is located on top of the 1st slope while some of the apartments are located at an even higher 2nd slope. We had the misfortune of staying at an apartment (Royal Lotus building, if memory serves me right) situated at the 2nd slope - more walking up and down everytime we leave the place.

Checking in with a full load of luggages will be a nightmare if your taxi refuses to drive up that steep climb, leaving you at the foot of it. I'd had heard that quite commonly taxis/tuks tuks DO NOT drive up that slope coz it is pretty daunting with its very steep incline. And tour buses definitely COULD NOT go up too as it is too narrow.

I had thought that the steep climb would not be a problem for us because we drove. I was mistaken. There were ONLY 3 miserable little parking lots at the lobby level and they were taken up practically every day. And when I tried to park on top of the 2nd slope (which only have 2 small parking lots btw) that was just below my apartment, I was told by reception that the lots are only meant for resident and guests are supposed to park their cars way below at the foot of the hill.

Nice eh ? Seems like guests are NOT the top priority of the BKV here and that they do not observe the usual conventional practices which other resorts/hotels have, where guests/customers' convenience and comfort come first. Better to bring my business elsewhere (and theres lots of other choices too !) and get better value for it, I say.

As to the distance from the resort to the beach, do not be misled that it is just only a 15 mins leisurely walk. Under the hot Phuket heat and sun, with a killer slope to start and ends your outing each time you leave your resort, that 15 mins can easily seems like much longer than what it is. To me, that phrase of "within walking distance to the beach" does not apply to BKV at all.

So, if you are those that like holing up in yr room the whole day during your holiday, then BKV may be a shot for it. But if you are like the rest of the folks who like to be within easy reach of everything the moment you leave yr resort, then it may be better to give it a miss. Even just the thought of strolling out of the premise just to have a look-see at things (not that theres many things to look at near by) is already going to be a daunting chore because of that steep climb. For those who have elderly ones and toddlers, it becomes an impossible task if you do not drive.

If you are those that are not so sport-like who welcome a good workout each time they get in and out of their resort while on a holiday, then I certainly wouldnt recommend you to BKV at all. There's a lot of better choices in Karon for that price that you had be paying for.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Halmstad, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Luxurious apartment hotel at the north end of Karon beach, a five minute walk from both the beach and the city center.

Our room was spacious with kitchen, livingroom and two bedroom suites with private terrace/balcony. Outside there are two pools, one of which features waterfall and trampoline.

The hotel also has a small gym, playroom for kids and nice and helpful staff. They also have rooftop suites with private jaccuzzi and great ocean views for a bit more money.

Included in our price were breakfast and a massage session. Breakfast was enjoyed by the pool at their snack bar which also catered for lighter meals. You are, however, happier eating in the center just a short walk away.

All in all, a great place for a budget traveller, wanting a bit of luxury.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Baan Karon View Phuket? Share your experiences!