“Disappointing experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Plaza

You added Sunset Plaza to your Saves list
Sunset Plaza
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   400/2 Patak Rd | Karon Beach, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 38 Specialty Lodging in Karon
Voorburg, The Netherlands
“Disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This apartment is listed as luxurious, but there is nothing luxurious about it!
I stayed in this apartment around the end of March 2012 for 7 days.
As mentioned in other reviews, the condo is located on a very steep hill, with a small sign to the side, making it very difficult for taxi drivers and tour guides to find. After having read the reviews, I thought that would be a minor problem and that I would otherwise enjoy my stay. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. The road uphill is not only extremely steep, but also badly paved. Most taxi drivers will refuse to take you uphill, even if you offer to pay extra. Upon arrival I had to drag my heavy suitcase to the top of the hill in 32 degree weather. But after getting there, I was heavily disappointed to see that there is no real entrance or lobby; you have to enter through the garage! I was then referred to the management office (to the side of the garage). There I was asked to immediately settle the bill for my entire stay. Although I can understand that this might be standard policy, I dislike the way in which it was handled (not offered anything to drink or wasn’t informed about the condo facilities). Only after I had asked about the shuttle service, did the manager confirm this service exists for guests to bring them up/ down the hill during certain times (but you have to inform them of the time that you will be back). Then she went on to inform/ underline to me that the one bedroom apartment that I had booked wasn’t available, so I was being upgraded to a two bedroom. Although my first impression wasn’t very good, I thought this was a nice gesture. The manager then guided me to my apartment and I was surprised to see that this was the one bedroom apartment I had booked in the first place! Luckily the apartment looked quite nice at first glance, with a comfortable average sized bedroom with LCD tv, a complete kitchenette and a shower. When I had a closer look later, this turned out not to be the case at all (see below).
Since I didn't find an information folder/ booklet about the facilities in the apartment either, I asked the manager about the wifi and placing outside calls. She then informed me that guests aren’t able to call outside or receiving any calls! Adding to it the fact that this apartment was rather secluded, this was beginning to sound more like a prison! I asked if incoming calls could be put through to my apartment then. She basically shrugged her shoulders and replied that her phone doesn’t offer that facility! She then suggested that I buy a SIM card as other guests have no problems with this either. I then suggested that I could pay her extra based on the calls that I make, but apparently that wasn’t possible either. Why have a phone in the apartment if it doesn’t even work? Apparently that’s just for calling up to the management office, during the time that they are there. When she left I had a closer look around the apartment. There were rust and stains on/ near the toilet seat and shower stall and there was a sewage smell coming from the bathroom (see pictures). The apartment I had, did have a nice seaview though. After I had unpacked (around 7pm), I tried to go online (there should be wifi), but it turned out that there was no internet connection. This turned out to be a real problem, since I had to contact the tour agency about the tour I booked for the next day. I walked up to the management office but there was no one there but a guard. Only then did I learn that the reception/ management staff is only there during working hours. After the guard called the manager on his cell phone, I explained the problem to her. She immediately became quite defensive telling me that she had already gone home and that there was nothing that she could do for me, since other guests staying there don’t have this problem! I explained to her that I urgently needed to contact the tour agency for tomorrow and asked if they could send someone from maintenance by. She replied that this wasn’t her problem and suggested I go look for an internet café outside, which made me quite upset, as I partly chose this apartment because of the wifi that they supposedly offered. After going back and forth for about half an hour, she finally said that she would come back to the office so I could send an email from there. Afterwards, she again said that as her internet is working, there must be something wrong with my laptop and this wasn’t her problem. I had stayed in 2 other hotels before this trip to Phuket, where I had perfect access to wifi, so I was sure it wasn't my problem. I asked if there wasn’t someone from IT on staff and she informed me that she set up the connections in the rooms herself and there has never been a problem. I insisted that she contact someone from IT and she said that she would try to take care of it in the morning. The next day I waited quite some while and didn’t hear from her. Since I wasn’t looking forward to another argument, I tried several ways to fix the problem myself and found out that the problem was due to their faulty router (wifi didn’t work, but the cable connection did).
Going to the beach which will take you 10-15 min. The condo is located at the side of a highway, which you'll have to cross before getting to the street which leads to the beach.
The main pool in the hotel is pictured as much larger on their website, but is actually just a kiddie pool. There is a second pool however, which does have a nice streetview/ sea view. Another thing to keep in mind is that the apartments don't have a do not disturb sign and when you don't open the door for the cleaners, they let themselves in. Needless to say I don’t recommend anyone to stay here, due to the extremely bad service, horrible location and absent reception. There are apartments/ hotels that are far better near Karon and Patong, with a lot of restaurants and stores nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We arived at the hotel about 230 check in was at 2 they didn't know we were coming so there was no room ready for us. I am a very easy going person so I made it into a positive and we went and got some things from the shops for breakfast ect because this is a appartment. We came back with in a hour to check in the room we were put in wasn't the best place I have have ever seen it had a weird smell to it especially the couch like someone had been smoking on it :( and there was no shower but only a bath so we were a little confused on how we were going to manage for the next 4 days we saw the appatment manerger later that night and I told her how we felt she was so nice and told us that we would be changed rooms the next day. The not bad thing was that we had 2 nights in a really nice room with a spa on the balcony then we got changed to the same room but afew rooms down so we overal moved rooms 3 times but We are easy going so it didn't really bother us. I know other people in this situation wouldn't be happy. The hill up to the hotel is so steep but they have a van to drop you up and down the hill from 830 am to 6 pm. Hope my review is helpful :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

A new apartment complex with stunning views (although this comes with a small price- you have to walk up a VERY steep hill). There are two swimming pools, one looks out over the town and ocean. We were there for NYE and saw hundreds of fireworks, definitely a nice spot for a nighttime swim. 2-3 minutes walk to delicious restaurants and about 5-10 to the beach. Our apartment was huge and serviced every second day. The location in Karon is fantastic, touristy but away from the seediness of Patong at night. 100% recommend staying here

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We booked the 1 bedroom apartment through Agoda. This is an apartment complex with a small management office at the basement like any ordinary residential complex with the exception that this is a 'hotel'. There are no daily housekeeping like other regular hotels which was fine for us. There's a gym and two good sized pools in the property. One is an infinity pool by the bar and another one that's in the middle of the property. Some of the apartments have a balcony with direct access to the pool which was cool.

Our 1 bedroom apartment was located on the 3rd floor and offered a spectacular view of Kata/Karon and the ocean. The apartment is modernly furnished with a very comfortable king sized bed. The kitchen was well equipped so it's really great for those who would love to visit the supermarket to pick up some essentials for some simple meals. There's a jacuzzi on the balcony of the apartment and that was really really cool.

It is possible to rent a comfortable and reasonably priced motorbike that's powerful enough to make it up the steep slope where the property is located. When we checked-in, it was unfortunate that all bikes were rented out already and we had to rent a smaller one from elsewhere and we kind of struggled to go uphill. You can also arrange for transportation to the airport with the management office. The lady, Kim, is very helpful and nice. They also have a tuk-tuk styled shuttle which could take you to nearby places for free I think but we didn't use it since we have the motorbike.

The only reason why the overall rating of the property is "Very Good" instead of "Excellent" is due to the horrific smell which comes from the bathroom drains. We were first checked into another apartment and I was really uncomfortable with the smell so we asked Kim if we could move to another apartment the next day. Luckily for us, someone just checked out and another apartment was free for us to move in. However, the bathroom had the same overwhelming smell. Once the water is running, the smell goes away. The management is aware of the issue and I hope something could be done to rectify that. Though the place is clean, you can see that there are some minor residues from renovation work. Would be nice if it could be cleaned up so that the place would look immaculate. Also, the drain covers are rusting already so replacing them would help with the aesthetics as well.

Overall it's a very good place to stay. Just some minor improvements required and it will definitely deserve an 'Excellent' review. Despite the smell, we're ready to go back for our next year end holiday!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

So we arrived last night and was blown away by how under stated this place was... The view is magnificent the layout of the apartment excellent. It's an apartment essentially for two couples because the other bathroom could be turned into the ensuite for the second bedroom. This place is so kitted out you don't really need anything. 5min walk to the beach and shops in an area that is not too busy. It is lovely in the hotel pool overlooking the sea. We have only been here 12 hours but we are already in love!

• Stayed December 2011
Khao Lak, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Great place to live nice and luxurius at affordable price.
If you need ANY help or advice don't hesitate to go and ask Scott the manager - he knows his way around or his Thai wife will help you out :-)

• Stayed November 2011
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Our 2 bedroom sea view apartment was modern and well appointed. From the large balcony you really feel Karon below. A great view over the town and to the hills to the north and south. A short walk to the main street and 10 min stroll to the beach. The driveway is steep so it takes a little longer to get back home. (Not a major problem and worth the view from top).
2 nice pools and gym.
The complex management were fantastic and went out of their way to help us.
The staff were pleasant.
Overall we were very with our 4 night stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Plaza? Share your experiences!