“European food quiet good” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel The Little Mermaid
643 Patak Road | Karon Beach, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #66 of 72 Hotels in Karon
London England
“European food quiet good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I ate in this restaurant the night before leaving Karon Beach area for some English food, and found it of a fairly good standard they have an roast beef al you can eat table served buffet what ever that is. The mean beef tenderloin was really nice as was the jacket potato. Wife wife daughter fancied chicken fillets and chips a change after 13 nights of great Thai food. The place was clean and the staff ready and willing to help as much as they could overall a nice experience if you want a change from Thai before you ;eave of you don't want Thai.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here nearly 4 years ago and it was OK so opted to stay again this time.....hotel is just awful. The price for a 'city view' room was about $15us but you'll need to go for the more expensive rooms on the back of the building titled 'garden view' (that means unkempt vacant grass lot by the way) because you'll never sleep in a front room. If the extremely loud nightclub that starts at 10:30 and finishes at 3-4 am doesn't keep you awake the 10 or so guys who work at the taxi stand directly opposite shouting "taxi, tuk tuk" all hours of the day and night will. There's also a minibus taxi with a nightclub bass thumping sound system that will appear and park up with his friends to 'entertain' you with wall rattling Thai pop at 3,4,5am or really whenever he feels like it....don't bother messing with these guys either, taxis are the Mafia of phuket.
My tip....from the front of the little mermaid facing the road go right 50m to Karon Sky House next to the 7/11. Rooms are the same price as the lower priced ones at mermaid (500baht per night), its MUCH newer and MUCH cleaner and quiet...you are still near the beach and you have the cheapest quality accommodation in Karon. The only downside is there is no restaurant in the hotel but then you are spoilt for choice in Karon. Go to the mermaid or Angus o'tools Irish pub if you need an English breakfast...at least you'll have had a good sleep and be awake in time for breakfast.

As a side note I also had a old camera and 1000baht go missing while I was at the little mermaid. Similar stories mentioned by other travellers. I didnt notice the camera as I use my iPhone until I got back to Bangkok so it could have gone missing elsewhere but I'm sure the money disappeared while I was at the beach and my wallet was in the room.

Room Tip: Get a Garden View room if you want to sleep Better still go elsewhere.
Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

this was a wonderful place to stay for fifteen dollars (US) a night, within walking distance of the beach. it was also close to bars and restaurants... the rooms include air con, TV and a mini fridge and they are very clean. The staff are very friendly and the restaurant in the main entrance serve up a delectable combination of thai and western food.

Room Tip: be nice to the staff!! it goes a long way!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

checked into the little mermaid for 4 nights, we were just passing through and needed a cheap room. Having never been to karon before we expected a lot more, apart from a beautiful beach it doesn't have that much going for it. The hotel itself was very basis. You pay for what you get. The staff were lovely and very attentitive. The let down was the room, although equiped with a fan and aircon the room was unbeleivably hot, it was actually hotter than it was outside on an evening. Aswell as this the rooms were across from a bar wich played the same music all night, great if you like rhianna and the wanted haha. In a nutshell if you can sleep in hot climates and then its a decent place for 12bucks a night. Generally though id say stay away from karon altogether!!

• Stayed August 2012
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Me and two other friends stayed at the Little Mermaid in March 2012. Do not stay here if you value your belongings. One morning, my friend opened his door to a drunken cleaner who was boasting it was her last day at the Mermaid. She was offered us the chance to pay her a small fee in exchange for a new mini bar bill meaning we would pay less upon check out. We declined. Anyway, a day earlier my friend noticed £50.00 in english had been taken from his money belt he had left on his bed whilst showering. The room door had been locked throughout. He assumed that he had spent this or miscalculated his finances. He recounted his cash and was sure of his remaining spends. After the drunken cleaner left his room on this occasion he went straight for his money belt hidden beneath his bed, this time £300.00 had been taken. We had 3 rooms booked in this hostel and we were all taken for a ride. My other friend had £43.00 taken, and i had £20.00 taken. On each occasion the thief left some notes in our wallets, probably hoping we wouldnt detect them missing straight away. We reported this to reception and requested they ring the police. The receptionist stated the police would not be able to do anything as we had not had the monies taken from the safe. The safe in each of our 3 rooms were broken with the locks hanging off. Maybe it was a schoolboy error not to report this straight away upon check in. The receptionist was basically laughing in our faces and then had the nerve to say she had found "WEED!" in our room. Alarm bells started ringing. Neither i or two of my friends were ever in possesion of weed or any other drug whilst staying in Thailand. After reviewing the situation again, we decided not to ring the police, we felt powerless. We felt all the management and cleaning staff were so untrustworthy that it wasnt worth getting the police involved. We were paranoid that drugs may have been planted in our room. Do not stay here!!!!! The rooms were basic. We had mosquitos and flees living in our rooms. The bed sheets were unclean. One of our beds had a blood stain on the matress. My room had a door linking me to another guest. A guest who had brought a Thai lady back from one of the noisy bars across the road. Please take my advice and do not consider staying in this dump. There are plenty of other hotels for similar or slightly higher rates along the beach front. We had our fingers well and truly burnt. Do not stay here. The place disgusts me. Oh, dont expect any hot water or your toilet to flush either.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had travelled Thailand all over for 4 weeks staying in hotels, guest houses and bungalows and this dive was by far the worst!! Arrived and room wasn't ready (ok ill wait 4hours) I came back and the room was still unmade from
Previous person. I asked at reception she pretended she didn't speak any English but I had heard her before. I then went up to the room and the maid was finished- she had just remade the bed with the last persons sheets etc and left a full ash tray by the bed. I complained again and she said that if I wanted it changed they would get me new bedding but I'd have to do it all myself?!! Toilet dirty. I know it's budget but these are basics. Then there is location!!!! The noisiest place I have ever stayed both inside and re fact it is opposite karons busiest kareoke bar and prostitute house where tranz music thinks base through the bed until 4 in the morning. I stayed 2 nights please don't do it to yourself! They even had the cheek to try and charge me 200bht for stuff that I didn't even have in the room (drinks food)? A dump so not do it!!

• Stayed February 2012
KL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Recommended to have super here but the waitresses were so unfriendly towards us, maybe we were being Asians (they must remember they were Asians too !) My friend ordered a drink and waited for some time before he asked her. A group of them were sitting just next table and no respond from them too so my friend just raised his voice to get their attention by saying "a..where is my beer!" They said we offended them and from then onwards we were ill treated. They kept walking and staring at us as if we were going to steal their things. But when they saw Westerners coming in their faces smile happily. We were afraid that they might put something "extra" for us to eat and we did not actually finish our foods. We asked for the bill and know what they short changed me 80 Baht and luckily I did not take the money and I counted right in front of her. She said there was mistake and she returned the right among of money to me then. Please if you are Asians do not go there !

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel The Little Mermaid? Share your experiences!