My wife and I stayed with you at the Crown on your Christmas House Party Package with friends. Unfortunately this break away did not live up to expectations, or some of the claims made in hotel literature.
The hotel brochure makes reference to “real ale, real fires and real people”, two out of three, but it would have been nice to be greeted with a real fire and not just for decorative purposes. On arrival at the hotel, walking from the car park to the reception area there was a distinction chill in the air, guests were sitting with coats on, there possibly was background heating but that was all. Most guests were remarking about the cold to reception and asking for the heating to be checked, we even ventured into the function room, it was not looking good and we had visions of sitting down with coats and scarves
There was not very much festive spirit flowing around the hotel, there was very little to say it was Christmas, a couple of trees placed in strategic places, a few decorations, very minimalistic and piped music, in the function room it was even more minimalistic, no tree, very un-Christmassy. Your festive brochure says in the opening paragraph, “Welcome to the Crown where you’ll find we know just how to put the Magic into Christmas”. We were looking forward to a relaxing break but it was beginning to get stressful.
You have some very good members of staff, friendly, pleasant, willing to help and go that extra mile to make sure that the guest is happy and given what they want, I wondered if you were being over ambitious, not having enough trained staff to make it a memorable time. The food was adequate, I do not think it was memorable, it did not offer that wow factor. I got the impression that if you wanted something a little bit different, or cooked differently it would have caused problem. The service in the hotel was not consistent; some of the staff appeared to be carrying others, they did not have the experience to be effective and would have benefitted from additional training to improve both their skills but also their confidence.
The service of breakfast could at best be described as chaotic, and an area the needs addressing. It is not for a guest to seek out additional help and support for the staff, under these circumstance but that of the duty manager. There will always be a time that all the guests arrive at the same time, and the hotel should be prepared for such eventualities.
It was noted that you have a number of Duty Managers; it was not always easy to identify who was in charge. The board on reception was designed to alleviate this; unfortunately this was not always updated as required. Do the duty managers have the training, knowledge and the authority to undertake this role in your absence? Is it good practice to leave the reception unmanned? It is the first port of call for guests, telephone calls, etc. How much business is lost because someone is kept waiting.
You were made aware of problems at the Christmas day luncheon, when asked for a particular type of coffee to be advised "could we return tomorrow as the machine had been switched off and there was no ground coffee" is not what a guest wishes to hear from a member of staff. The member of staff was relatively new but should not be put in that situation. Coffee was provided as requested but the accompaniments were missing. Some of the staff appeared to be “new” and lacking experience. How much training had they had? It did not appear as if any one person was in charge but a number of more experienced members of staff assumed responsibility.
The bedrooms were comfortable and spacious. The pillow protectors need to be replaced as they show signs of wear and tear. Toilet needs adjusting, rather than guest using blue tack.
The Crown is a work in progress, it could be memorable, it just needs everybody to sing from the same sheet and to know the words that are being sung.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Boroughbridge
- Best Western North Yorkshire
- North Yorkshire Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Crown Hotel Boroughbridge, Yorkshire
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you are seeking a hotel in North Yorkshire, this 37 bedroom hotel has excellent accommodation, conference facilities and a large private car park. Leisure centre with indoor swimming pool, steam room, sauna, gym and sun-shower. York only 17 miles, Harrogate 10 miles, Leeds 28 miles. Easy access from junction 48 A1(M) makes the Crown Hotel Boroughbridge an ideal stay over for journeys between Scotland and the South, a great location for weekend breaks, holidays in Yorkshire with York, Harrogate, the Yorkshire Dales and other Yorkshire tourism attractions nearby plus a meetings and conference venue for training courses, business meetings, functions and events for up to 150 delegates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your BEST WESTERN Crown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.