“shocking” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Wick
London, United Kingdom
“shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Yes the main building is a beautiful old house with stunning architecture but that is about as good as it gets.
Rude staff, Poor quality food. I was extremely disappointed with many aspects of my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Good Morning,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you have had during your stay with us. We are keen to discuss this matter further with you so please can you email matthew@tracypark.co.uk with your contact information, full name and date of your stay and we will be in touch.

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here after going to Bath races. It's a nice location and the rooms were spread around the grounds in small two storey buildings. It's a lovely setting and the room was really cosy and spacious. We had a very comfortable night and the breakfast was great. The bathroom wasn't entirely spotless but that is my only criticism, overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Hi Richard,

I'm writing to offer you our sincere thanks for taking the time to write a review in light of your stay with us.

Over the last six months Tracy Park has undertaken a huge overhaul of its processes, costings and services available and whilst we have more developments in place for 2014 we are so grateful that our hard work is resulting in such complimentary feedback!

We welcome any further suggestions you may have and we hope you'll consider us again in 2014!

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at Tracy Park for one night whilst on a shopping expedition into Bath. The hotel is located a few miles from the racecourse. We arrived after dark and locating the front reception was slightly difficult. The Reception area consists of a hall with an office desk and computer, not very professional. We were allocated a room in the courtyard area, which was very pleasant although a little bit tired in places with scratched furniture. The bathroom which consisted of a large shower was clean and well appointed. The room had a large television and a fridge with a free bottle of still mineral water. The bed was large and very comfortable.

The problem with this establishment started the next morning when we went for breakfast. On arrival we were shown a room with a buffet table and half a dozen food heaters, in the corner was a conveyor belt toaster with processed brown and white sliced bread. All the food was cold and very unappetising. We ordered freshly made poached eggs which arrived soggy and wet and overcooked. For a country hotel I would have expected a pot of tea and a decent cup of coffee, however all that was available were two thermos flasks with lukewarm tea and undrinkable coffee. The food certainly let this establishment down. Later when we arrived home I enquired at the Food Standards Agency as to the food hygiene rating of this particular establishment. I found that they had only been rated with a one. This rating means that there are major improvements necessary. This is certainly worrying. If I'd known about this food hygiene rating before arriving I certainly wouldn't have eaten here.

When I checked out the receptionist asked me if everything had been okay. I replied that everything had been fine except for the food and she said that she would pass the comments on to the manager. I said that I would be more than happy to speak to him if he wanted to phone me as she said they like to get customer feedback so as to help improve the guest's experience . I'm still awaiting a call from the hotel. Having given the manager the opportunity of calling me and discussing the issues I'm a little bit disappointed that he has chosen not to communicate.

Summing up if you want a place to lay your head this is not a problem however I would steer clear of the restaurant on all accounts. Although the room was fine I do not think that we would be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel bills itself as a golf and country house. The web site displays a beautiful hotel, lovely rooms, in a wonderful setting. It is also extremely reasonable, so much so, that I thought our two-night rate was for one night! So far, so good.
On arrival the reception area was, well it was a desk in the lobby of the house – and it wasn’t what you would call organised! Directly to my left was the bar/lounge area, which was more motorway service station than country hotel. The first thing to hit the eyes, were displays of crisps and a board with coffee prices on them. There was also a guest waiting patiently for someone to serve him – you find out very quickly that there is a staff shortage!

Our room, well frankly it was beautiful with a chandelier and sofas, and the most wonderful “massive” bed, beautiful furniture, and a wonderful bathroom, lovely toiletries – not cheap and nasty, (although the shower over the bath … my pet hate!). However, there was lots of things missing, from this luxurious room, no bathrobes, it said there was fresh milk, which never appeared, faulty flickering lights, I won’t bore you with the rest – all I will say is when we left after two days we still had “disco lights”!

The dining room is rather lovely and that is about the best you can say about it. We asked for the breakfast menu – they didn’t have one. Continental, what there was of it, or freshly cooked full English – when it was freshly cooked is another matter entirely! As for the tea and coffee, help yourself from two large plastic thermos flasks plonked on a side table – very country house hotel – NOT! My partner asked for Earl Grey tea and what a palaver they had when trying to find a teapot!

The bar/sitting room area is lacking in character and comfort and it was cold, despite the log gas fire. We had drinks from the bar, and at about 11pm the gas fire went out followed by the lights – time for bed then!

This hotel is beautiful to look at, but then it all goes pear shaped. A lot of money has been spent on refurbishing this hotel and it feels like they are desperately trying to claw money back. It specialises in golf breaks (no idea if the course is any good – but many golfers there) know the saying you get what you pay for, well this hotel proves the point!

We stayed there because it is a short drive from Bath racecourse and a nice easy drive into the city. There is also easy parking, which is not the case with most hotels in Bath! It could be a wonderful, luxury hotel and in my view Management need to decide whether it is a country house hotel, or a budget hotel (it is cheap!) with amazing rooms!

If you just want somewhere to put your head, at a very good price, and handy for Bath – you will not be disappointed. If you want something special, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked a twin room in the courtyard for one night with breakfast included. The hotel is well situated for visiting Bath, with Lansdown park and ride just a few miles down the road. The room was very quiet, warm, nicely decorated and clean. The shower was powerful and hot. The breakfast was lovely. The buildings and grounds are beautiful and staff were friendly and efficient. The only thing I would say is that the entrance from the road and car park wasn't lit when we arrived in the late evening and was very very dark, but aside from this minor point we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, would stay again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to have a night away in bath and booked a room in this hotel, when we arrived we were really impressed by the stunning setting and fantastic buildings,the main house was amazing and the surrounding buildings and grounds were very well kept,we checked in and were given a cottage style building that was very nice.It had a good size living room,big bathroom with bath and walk in shower,and big bedroom,we were very pleased but then I noticed the shower!!! It was filthy,it obviously hadn't been cleaned for a long time,it's a shame as the rest of the cottage was very clean?.
The only other complaint is the breakfast in the main house which was an extra £20 !was a disgrace,seating was 2 long tables that were very aquward to use as one side was very close to the wall, the food was the usual full English but when we went up to get ours there was nothing left ! I had to wait for bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans and hash browns to be cooked, the only thing available was sausage (cold)!!
On checking out we were asked if we were satisfied with our stay and not wanting to sound fussy I didn't mention the shower but said the breakfast was a dissapointment,the receptionist glared at me and said "oh, il pass it on " no apology .
I'd advise anyone thinking of staying here to eat elsewhere as we did on Saturday night !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Having booked a "Past Captains" Mini Golf Break at tracy park some 6 months ago, I traveled on Sunday 27th. October with much trepidation.
However we were greeted by wonderful staff at Reception and for the next 36 hours were treated royally.

The rooms were first class as was the food in the beautiful restaurant Sunday evening.

As mentioned, all the staff including Karen on reception, Katie in the restaurant and the wonderful American Barman, whose name I forgot to ask, were wonderful.

We stayed during storm St. Jude so the courses were very wet but that`s not Tracy Park`s fault. We all would love to play the courses in the dry weather of high summer as their layouts were impressive.

In conclusion I would thoroughly recommend Tracy Park as a value for money and very pleasant venue for a Golf Break.

Room Tip: We stayed in Courtyard rooms which were excellent