“Enjoyable as always” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Torquay
Brisbane
“Enjoyable as always”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We recently returned from a 5 night stay at Delfinos and I must confess I am slightly perplexed by a previous writer’s bad experience. Our unit was clean, comfortable, on par with what we would expect from 3.5 star holiday rental and equipped with all the things necessary for a pleasant stay.
During our stay this time, there was demolition work taking place to the restaurant at the front but it was not intrusive and wasn’t heard from our rooms. The only affect it had, was that we had to use the rear entrance to the underground car park, instead of driving out via the front of the building for 2 days.
We have now stayed at Delfinos 7 or 8 times (as a couple and with other family members) and regard the managers, Diane and Andrew as friends. They are always extremely professional, courteous, friendly and helpful with advice on how to make the most out of a visit to Hervey Bay.
We can say quite honestly that we have stayed in various styles of rooms there and have not once struck one that we weren’t happy with. With the caveat that it is a holiday resort not a 5 star hotel.
During this last visit we chatted with numerous guests as we passed them in the reception area, and it appears that most had stayed many times before and there seem to be a lot of regulars. Kids seem to be making full use of the pool, table tennis area and videos from reception.

We find Delfinos is located in an ideal spot - walk across the road and you find a beautiful, safe and extremely long beach, great for kids and long walks. Along the extremely long esplanade, there are plenty of coffee shops and shops to explore, tennis courts and water sports hire shops. Worth a trip down to the marina to walk around, eat or book a boat trip.

We will definitely be back when we feel the need to recharge our batteries.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Northampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had a little difficulty finding someone at check in but after that a good welcome.

The car parking is under the motel and down a steep (short) driveway. After getting into the secure car park we went up to the room in the lift. It was awkward to get to our room using the luggage trolley so I did not use it when we checked out.

The room though large was a bit of a disappointment as it did not have a microwave and there was no wifi (not even any that could be paid for though there was a chargeable internet PC in reception). There were few channels on the TV.

The room was not made up while we were staying though maybe that is that is usual though we were not aware if that is so.

Room Tip: Be careful if you have heavy luggage that you can get it easily to the room. We had to negotiate a h...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Basic accommodation, which is all we had planned for. However we have milk and a fridge but no coffee, tea, cups or glasses and just had my worst shower ever with a dribble of water versus it coming gushing out of hand basin tap. Choose a sponge bath instead. Personnel helpful and friendly. Location next to two restaurants and beach across the road. However I would not return because of shower.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I arranged to stay at Delfinos last year over Christmas - and had the worst experience. I found the hotel conditions way below par, and the manager rude and unfriendly.
Having just come back to tripadvisor one year later I see that Delfinos still has plenty of positive reviews, I don't understand why I was the unlucky one...?
To start - we collected the keys from an envelope at the closed hotel reception counter.
On entering the 2 bed apartment we found the unit ridden with ants, and filthy with outdated furniture.
It was absolutely impossible for us to stay there. When we tried to discuss this with the resort manager, all I got was verbal abuse about how I had ruined his christmas day - not thinking how his run-down units and filthy accommodation had ruined ours.
In later correspondence, I tried to resolve the issue of my paying for 2 nights accommodation which I could not think of sleeping in. The manager did not make any amends.
I have been left 300 dollars out of pocket for services that I didn't use all.

Word of advise - stay away from Delfinos.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hofheim am Taunus, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in August 2012 for 4 days before returning to Brisbane to fly back to Germany - we actually extended our stay by 1 day. The hotel is in a perfect location: the beach is just across the street, absolutely no winds due to the bay protection and a lot nicer than close to the harbor. Lots of small restaurants with a lot a local people - a lot more nightlife than around the big hotels at the harbor. Our favorite was the Irish Pub just around the door. This hotel is a family run business. The owners are extremely friendly and very supportive - we could reach them anytime also outside the business hours. We had an apartment with kitchen - big enough for the three of us and in a good condition with a very nice balcony to enjoy the morning sun. Closed underground parking under the hotel available. We really loved this place after all the big hotels we stayed in during our Australia trip!!!!
Nicolas, Monica + Helmut

Room Tip: Great morning sun on the second level
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I've been to Delfinos several times now and I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with the staff, the rooms or the location. Considering the price I found the hotel more than reasonable. It truly is a home away from home. For those seeking room service this is not for you, the apartments are self contained and you will need to cook for yourself, but in saying that the facilities are perfect for that. I'll say it again, it is a self contained apartment which is just how I like it, if you stay longer than a week your apartment will get cleaned and all linen and bath towels etc. will be replaced. This is perfect for families or a group of friends. I also can't believe I forgot about the wonderful managers, these people were always friendly to me and I never had a problem with them. For those who have I suggest that they re-examine how they treated the staff, because to me they were the most friendly and polite and genuine managers I've ever met. I'll be going again for years to come...

Room Tip: Bottom floors are ideal for families as they have much larger outdoor areas.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed one night in a "hotel room" on our way to Brisbane. These rooms are fairly small, a bit smaller than an average hotel/motel room. The room badly needed refurbishing; walls and doors were marked and damaged. The apartments would be larger and could be in better condition, however I didn't view these.
The windows can only open a short way to conform with new OHS regulations (apparently) and the room was fitted with an airconditioner and fan. The airconditioner was quiet but was too large for the small room - we had to manually torn on and off to avoid freezing the room. And the fan was very old and was too noisy for a good sleep.
The managers were very friendly and helpful, but the quality of the accomodation let them down.
Price was $95, I think there would be better motels for this price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Delfinos Bay Resort? Share your experiences!