“Nice time in Kommetjie” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Guinea Fowl House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kommetjie
Guinea Fowl House
You added Guinea Fowl House to your Saves list
60 Arum Road, Kommetjie, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Kommetjie B&B and Inns
“Nice time in Kommetjie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

This a very comfortable place to stay. The location is excellent,the beach is nearby, restaurants not far away. Michelle, the hostess is charming and helpful. The breakfasts were delicious and available from 7.30 to 9.30. The room was comfortable, and there was a nice sitting area with fridge and plenty to read just outside the room. Michelle is a very good potter and has some very nice items for sale which we were unable to resist. We were also able to have our laundry done, which was very helpful.

Michelle was very informative about local amenities and where to go etc. which was good.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were extreamly disapointed with our stay, not only were we overcharged by 3200 R we stayed in the property for 5 Nights but were charged for 7! Even though the owner already said in writing we could just pay for the 5 nights we stayed as 2 nights were spent on safari. Michele the owner was pushy and rude insisting we pay her 2 days before we checked out in cash, even though she had already recieved 50% deposit months earlier.

We were not offered breakfast once, so had to eat out. I would expect this to be the bear minimum when staying in a bed and breakfast property. Instead we were made to feel like unwelcome intruders in her home rather than (over) paying guests.

We had no shower in our room just a bath that didnt work. We were very unhappy wiith our experience at this accommodation. The holiday itself was wonderful despite this, as we had to spend as little time at the house as possible as we were so clearly unwelcome. I stark contrast to this our safari at Kichaka was incredible with excellent service.

This is the first negative review I have ever written. But felt compelled to warn people NOT to stay here as there are so many other good properties in the area. I wrote to Michele herself to say how disapoited I was and she did not even bother to reply, which speaks volumes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at this B and B after three wonderful days hiking the Hoerikwaggo Trail. Although the trail was fantastic my legs were killing me and I was ready for a nice bit of R and R. This guesthouse was the perfect respite and Michelle is a gracious hostess. The room was lovely and you could see the ocean from my room which was on the 2nd floor and I slept like a baby listening the waves. It was less then a 5 minute walk (or in my case hobble) to the beach. Kommetjie is a lovely, relaxed beach town which is not commercialized. A beautiful place to relax with some cozy restaurants. The breakfast was delicious. Michelle also makes beautiful pottery and I bought some nice, unique gifts which my friends were thrilled with. If I make it back to the Cape, and I hope i do, I would love to stay here again. I would also highly recommend it to my friends or any other solo female travellers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Thank you Michele you are truly hostess extraordinaire and friend! Your cozy home, quaint pottery studio, relaxing garden, comfortable rooms and best of all your french press coffee was absolutely a tremendous welcome after flying over 20 hours from the United States.

Little Kommetjie is a jewel from the ocean right in front of your door, the mountains behind, the adorable little town up the road and the delightful, open ambiance you provide to your guests.

I highly recommend Guinea Fowl House to all.
Baie Dankie

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Back from a quick trip to South Africa, a very quiet and serene part of SA. If anyone is after a real tonic of tranquillity, great weather, wonderful beaches and walks, big sky's and the sound of the waves.. then stay here. Michele is the perfect host. The parrot is a laugh a minute, chats away. There are no hotels or big shops nearby, just sand, surf, clean and nice rooms. Top class .

Room Tip: Upstairs with a wonderfull view from the balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Guinea Fowl House in Cape Town. We were from Canada.
We were welcomed with the smell of salt water, the sound of the waves, and nice breezes flowing through the bedroom. The bedroom was white, cheerful, comfortable and relaxed. Our hostess Michelle was also very relaxed and helpful. I was so interested in her beautiful pottery. Just exquisite. I brought back a plate of hers for myself and my 2 daughters. A beautiful keepsake. We found this bed and breakfast to be a perfect central location to explore the cape and enjoy dinners at various spots. We felt very safe as well.

One must walk the beach at some point. It's a lovely location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Whether staying at Guineafowl House for a vacation, overnight or business purposes, it is indeed a holiday in itself! From the very first correspondence and phone calls confirming my bookings, arranging transport from the airport and welcoming me, to the final goodbye and well-wishes, my stay was a wonderful experience.

I personally went to Kommetjie to be away from the hustle and bustle of the large city from which I come, as I needed time to recharge batteries and catch up on my writing, but is so close to many tourist attractions of such a large variety, that it is the ideal "home to come home to" in the evenings when on holiday anywhere near Cape Town and the surrounding areas.. The walks on the beach were my personal fvourite, as it stretches out for kilometres on both sides.

Back to the guesthouse: The tiny touches to detail, such as a small memento of your stay, fresh fruit and flowers in the room, luxuries such as candles in the bathroom area, etc, would make any guest feel pampered, spoilt and special. With breakfast of your choice indoors or outdoors, a beautifully furnished and decorated house and a most helpful and charming hostess, this is definitely a "see-you-again" destination!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Guinea Fowl House? Share your experiences!