“Very relaxing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Cameleon Hotel

Save Saved
You added Le Cameleon Hotel to your Saves list
Le Cameleon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Across the Street From Beach | Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo, Cocles, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7300, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$79 (USD)
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Cocles
Los Angeles, California
“Very relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I have never been to the east coast of COSTA RICA . I came across an article in THE NEW YORK TIMES about this boutique hotel so I decided to give a try . It is located in PUERTO VIEJO/LIMON(one of the provinces of COST RICA). The hotel is surrounded by a lot of vegetation very beatiful setting.It is a quite hotel at the time of my stay it wasn't that crowded 2 or 3 families including mine , some couples but that was it.The service was very good. The rooms were cleaned every day. The price for the rooms was on par with any $$$ hotel anywhere in the world. If you want to feel like you are in the USA this is not the place for you ; there are all sorts of animals and insects in the area after all these are the tropics.It is part of the charm. If you are used to a 5 star hotels in the USA this is not the place for you as this boutique hotel it's in another country that it is not the US ,after all when you go to EUROPE and the hotels advertise as 5 star you know that in the STATES they would be a 4 or a 3 star. LE CHAMELEON for me it's a beatiful hotel in COSTA RICA. I can't imagine the difficulties they must have handling a hotel away from main cities it has to be very difficult and just for that I praise the staff that try to make the stay of everybody as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed September 2012

316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

It is a very nice boutique hotel situated on the beach. Clean and well maintained. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. They all assembled at the exit to say good bye when we were leaving, which was really sweet. There were couples as well as families and every one was great. Nice location. Beach was right across the street. The hotel had hammocks, beach chairs, and bar for lunch & drinks right on the beach, which was very nice.I will recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Pictures and reviews can be deceiving. Why its vital to check that the reviewer travels and has posted more than 1. So over Costa Rica. Its become over touristed and the tourism industry could care less about you. The attitude has become, "We don't need you, you need us."

Have been traveling off and on to Costa Rica for the last 15 years and its over. If you want to go to a beautiful place where people are miserable and don't welcome you, then Costa Rica is it. People generally don't smile, wish you a good morning, or care for your well being. It reminds me of what the US airline industry has become. Asking for more, and offering you less. This was my experience in all three hotels during this trip. I won't go back for a long time. Best to travel to Asia or Mexico where people are more socially educated in the tourism industry and "welcome" you.

Hotel has such potential but the uncaring attitude and disregard to tourists makes it not worth ones time to travel so far. No amenities at this hotel or any for that matter. Yet you pay top dollar.

Look at the photos. The employees know there are insects in the food. They can see the public areas are filthy. They're not blind. Its that the just don't care about you or your health. I ordered lunch to find insects crawling ALL over the plate it was served on. The response, "Well do you see them on the food?" I left. Checked out the next day. I work way to hard to travel to a place that doesn't want you there.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel or country.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
lorena g, Director of Sales at Le Cameleon Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear guest,

We are very sorry that you didn't enjoy the Caribbean and neither the service in our hotel.
As soon as you arrived in the hotel, the Manager and the receptionists understood from you that you had other expectations from the place and the area .
That is why they were very focused on you, in order to satisfy you and they have made their best for you to appreciate your stay.
Our restaurants,bars,beach club and reception situated in a beautiful tropical garden are all open spaces that's make the beauty of The Cameleon.
During certain periods of the year,there is more insects then usual,according to the biodiversity of life in the jungle.
Fumigation is not part of our policy as an environment friendly hotel.You have to know that fumigate in an open area doesn't mean just killing ants and bees it also kills hummingbirds ,blue butterflys and a lot of others species that are constantly around open spaces.
Our kitchen is on norms of HACCP guidelines,our breakfast buffet during this period of the year, we are using special covers and cellophane to protect marmalade and sweets staff.We recognize that it is not excluded that a bee can comes on a marmalade's plate of a guest.
Our motivated personal is very sad to see your pictures of our beach club knowing that they are not in the right context.During the rain we close to beach club in order to clean it and open it again when the weather is sunny.Those pictures had been made when it was closed!
We are anyway thanks full for your critics and our team will try to do their best to reach the goal:" complete satisfaction of the guests".

Best regards.
Skaneateles, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Walks the line between true Caribbean and “brochure Caribbean”…but endlessly impressive either way you end up calling that debate. Myself, I call it far enough away from Central New York snow that I truly just don’t care either way.
My wife and I stayed at the resort next to Le Cameleon (see my other review for Carib Town which was a wonderful place also). The hotels and businesses in this area all seem to function as a well-oiled machine and wandering from one pool area to the next bar to the next beachfront all seems to be of no concern to any of them. They fully expect that if you are staying at a neighboring hotel that you would visit them for their amenities during your trip. No covers, no funny looks like “where did you come from?”. Just warm genuine welcomes and smiles.
We took advantage of their breakfast buffets on occasion and also enjoyed their beach. The breakfasts were good (no, not amazing but not shlock either). Typical hotel fare like pancakes, juices, bakery items and eggs. I was a little surprised to find the juices were from a carton. Their world is full of amazing fruits and produce. Why not fresh? The fruit was fresh though which was nice. The omelet’s were…well, omelet’s. meh.
Where these guys excel is service and the beautiful gardens. The times we would hike up the beaches we would end up in front of this place and plop ourselves down in the beach chairs nestled in the shade of the palm’s. Almost instantly Ricardo (the bartender at the outside bar) would be in front of us with a warm smile asking us if we were just here to enjoy the beach or if we wanted something to eat or drink. Sometimes we got drinks and others we got light food. One of the most delicious dishes I've tasted was a tuna napoleon that my wife got (and I tasted). Very fresh and using local fruits.
Prices are what you’d expect -- maybe $5-$10 for mixed drinks and $8-$12 for appetizers. The breakfast was about $8 per person which is the price they have for the guests staying at the hotel.
The gardens are beautiful and well maintained. They have a large patio with a coy pond that we enjoyed for a while. They have massage beds in the gardens near the beach and though we didn't partake, I must say it was tempting. That from someone who doesn't like stranger’s hands all over them. It's just weird.
Overall, this place is not at all somewhere I would want to stay. I prefer a less polished experience. We enjoyed visiting very much though. If you like the spa feel, white linens, relaxation and good food and money isn't a major concern then you will love Le Cameleon. If you prefer your food with the occasional mosquito and mud floors in your suite (as I do), stay elsewhere but show up here when it gets to be a little too much. They’ll welcome you with open arms.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Teresa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice size hotel, location, service & food with Miami Vice style all white rooms, and changing colored lighting and details (art, towels). It's a cool vibe & concept, leave it to the French ! Constantly changing pool & restaurant lightning at night & different colored art towels and pillows in the rooms daily. Beach club is fantastic as well, very chillax vibe, many hammocks & lounge areas. Pto viejo has changed tremendously since I 1st visited in the 90's, but is still an amazing stop for any traveler, new or seasoned on the CR tour. Personally, I like being out of town a bit more to relax, yet Le Cameleon is close enough to shoot in and enjoy the local scene any time. Also, close to Pta Uva & Manazanillo. Among the best in Pto Viejo.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

After a tragic loss of a friends family member, an adventurous backpacking trip through Nicaragua and the Pacific Coast I found my self lucky to end up in Puerto Viejo's Le Cameleon.
I decided to pay tribute to my buddy's brother by traveling to costa rica, learning about culture and nature of this unique treasure.

Having found the perfect environment and infrastructure to get along with the my thoughts,
I couldn't stop feeling very spoiled in this most beautiful Hotel I have ever had seen.
The pool area invites, or rather bonds you to stay, relax, enjoy the rich fruit juices served by
local employees. Same for the stunning Beach club named NUMU, with it's charming red beach beds, where bonfires taller than my self will always remind me of true paradise.

Far of (about 6km) down town puerto viejo, where at night time the wild party scene can sometimes be scary, specially if you seek spiritual enlightening,
Le Cameleon spoils you for choice.
Enjoy "rico" fresh food at cameleon's restaurant, or check out town in reachable distance (I walked 30-40min, taxi recommended).

Le Cameleon will for me stay the most impressive Hotel I've ever been to,
leaving me this beautiful knowledge that environmental preservation is worth it.
By the way no damage to the environment had been done to build those beautiful 23-everyday camouflaging rooms right in the jungle.

All in all, this Hotel keeps it enchanting charme by keeping it green, offering a private beach club, safe family environment and of course all the possibilities to explore the country's beauty.
As a 22 year old student, I found my self lucky again, and quite surprised that this -beyond doubts- most fancy hotel on the Caribbean coast was affordable.
Specially if you seek some standards after sophisticated nights in hammocks or dorms throughout central america, le Cameleon will welcome you arms wide not to worry!
Lots of Sloths, Morpho butterflies and even those japanese Koy fish all over the property.
I would recommend this experience to every one!

If someone from Staff reads this, i would like to say hey to everyone, cheers from snowy Vienna!!! And as an Austrian has to say: I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My fiancée and I decided to end our three-week vacation in Costa Rica, in the hotel “Le cameleon” in Puerto Viejo (5 nights). We were extremely happy that our choice had fallen on this hotel surrounded by jungle, we had never experienced such a sensation before - pure relaxation and rest (except for some animal noise that - even as a city person - to me still provoked calm). The room was clean, very minimalistic and for a large part held in simple white BUT the most important thing in a room - the BED was incredibly comfortable and invited just to spend time together (especially on rainy days - which can occur frequently in this region).

The staff was always very attentive and tried to do the best (though not perfectly trained) to respond to guest needs. The breakfast was very satisfactorily and offered everything that we believe belongs to a balanced breakfast (croissants, cakes, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruits, whole wheat bread, coffee, tea, jam, rice & beans and freshly prepared eggs in all different variations).

We loved very much the beach club, which is right on the beach maximum 50 meters from the hotel , where, under the blazing sun, in a hammock or in a comfortable beach bed, we enjoyed the tanning and sipping delicious fruit cocktails. All in all, my fiancée and I spent a wonderful and very romantic time in this hotel, which of course is also associated with this beautiful place of earth where it is located.

Of course, at a closer look we also discovered a few minor flaws such as for example waiting times in the restaurant but so far such minor flaws we have found in each of the hotels we stayed. But that did not disturb our balance – why should it!! – and we enjoyed our well deserved vacation together.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Cameleon Hotel? Share your experiences!