“Loved it !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Cameleon Hotel

Save Saved
You added Le Cameleon Hotel to your Saves list
Le Cameleon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Across the Street From Beach | Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo, Cocles, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7300, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Cocles
Santa Teresa
“Loved it !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice size hotel, location, service & food with Miami Vice style all white rooms, and changing colored lighting and details (art, towels). It's a cool vibe & concept, leave it to the French ! Constantly changing pool & restaurant lightning at night & different colored art towels and pillows in the rooms daily. Beach club is fantastic as well, very chillax vibe, many hammocks & lounge areas. Pto viejo has changed tremendously since I 1st visited in the 90's, but is still an amazing stop for any traveler, new or seasoned on the CR tour. Personally, I like being out of town a bit more to relax, yet Le Cameleon is close enough to shoot in and enjoy the local scene any time. Also, close to Pta Uva & Manazanillo. Among the best in Pto Viejo.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

After a tragic loss of a friends family member, an adventurous backpacking trip through Nicaragua and the Pacific Coast I found my self lucky to end up in Puerto Viejo's Le Cameleon.
I decided to pay tribute to my buddy's brother by traveling to costa rica, learning about culture and nature of this unique treasure.

Having found the perfect environment and infrastructure to get along with the my thoughts,
I couldn't stop feeling very spoiled in this most beautiful Hotel I have ever had seen.
The pool area invites, or rather bonds you to stay, relax, enjoy the rich fruit juices served by
local employees. Same for the stunning Beach club named NUMU, with it's charming red beach beds, where bonfires taller than my self will always remind me of true paradise.

Far of (about 6km) down town puerto viejo, where at night time the wild party scene can sometimes be scary, specially if you seek spiritual enlightening,
Le Cameleon spoils you for choice.
Enjoy "rico" fresh food at cameleon's restaurant, or check out town in reachable distance (I walked 30-40min, taxi recommended).

Le Cameleon will for me stay the most impressive Hotel I've ever been to,
leaving me this beautiful knowledge that environmental preservation is worth it.
By the way no damage to the environment had been done to build those beautiful 23-everyday camouflaging rooms right in the jungle.

All in all, this Hotel keeps it enchanting charme by keeping it green, offering a private beach club, safe family environment and of course all the possibilities to explore the country's beauty.
As a 22 year old student, I found my self lucky again, and quite surprised that this -beyond doubts- most fancy hotel on the Caribbean coast was affordable.
Specially if you seek some standards after sophisticated nights in hammocks or dorms throughout central america, le Cameleon will welcome you arms wide not to worry!
Lots of Sloths, Morpho butterflies and even those japanese Koy fish all over the property.
I would recommend this experience to every one!

If someone from Staff reads this, i would like to say hey to everyone, cheers from snowy Vienna!!! And as an Austrian has to say: I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My fiancée and I decided to end our three-week vacation in Costa Rica, in the hotel “Le cameleon” in Puerto Viejo (5 nights). We were extremely happy that our choice had fallen on this hotel surrounded by jungle, we had never experienced such a sensation before - pure relaxation and rest (except for some animal noise that - even as a city person - to me still provoked calm). The room was clean, very minimalistic and for a large part held in simple white BUT the most important thing in a room - the BED was incredibly comfortable and invited just to spend time together (especially on rainy days - which can occur frequently in this region).

The staff was always very attentive and tried to do the best (though not perfectly trained) to respond to guest needs. The breakfast was very satisfactorily and offered everything that we believe belongs to a balanced breakfast (croissants, cakes, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruits, whole wheat bread, coffee, tea, jam, rice & beans and freshly prepared eggs in all different variations).

We loved very much the beach club, which is right on the beach maximum 50 meters from the hotel , where, under the blazing sun, in a hammock or in a comfortable beach bed, we enjoyed the tanning and sipping delicious fruit cocktails. All in all, my fiancée and I spent a wonderful and very romantic time in this hotel, which of course is also associated with this beautiful place of earth where it is located.

Of course, at a closer look we also discovered a few minor flaws such as for example waiting times in the restaurant but so far such minor flaws we have found in each of the hotels we stayed. But that did not disturb our balance – why should it!! – and we enjoyed our well deserved vacation together.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

we had a great stay, the receptionist and employees were very nice.
rooms very clean, comfortable, the tv is very complicated to turn on
the beach club is nice sourrounden by nature.
good location, sourounded of good restaurants
the beach is excellent for the surfers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

After six months went back to the hotel and it was not was it used to be.... the first time I visited the hotel was in June 2012..at that point the staff available was extremely more pfofessional and the conditions available were completely different. Nowdays they have an extremely bad customer service (worst we have ever had...).
We have stayed at the hotel on 4-6 January 2013. We have organized our wedding party at the hotel on 5 January 2013. When I first visit the hotel, it was indeed a beautiful hotel, the best in the area (and believe me, I am Costa Rican, and I have been visiting the area for more than 12 years). Nowdays, I would recommend people to visit other hotels in that area. At least they will pay less and obtain what they pay for... I have read other comments made by visitors to the hotel, and I could not agree more that even breakfast has changed so much, and what they offer now is not what they were offering when I first visited it.
Moving on, on the day of our wedding celebration other problems arose, showing the lack of customer service they currently have: to start with, what we paid for in the contract signed with the hotel was not offered. We paid for an open bar which was not offered in the condictions signed, nor they provided waiters as we paid for. Additionally some comments showing the lack of customer service of their personel:
1- A staff member of the hotel told our invitees to place their fingers in a soup, if they wanted to find out whether it was a soup or dressing. Additionally, our invitees were told they had to serve their soups in the same plates used for the main course/appetizers (...).
2- The staff asigned for the open bar did not know how to prepare beverages, and they complained in front of our invitees that they did not know how to prepare them and that they were only told to stay on the spot.
3- The food provided during the reception was not fully the food offered in the menu provided by the hotel and paid to them fully in advance.
We have more examples to share, in general, what is visible is that the hotel is no longer what it used to be, it seems to us mainly there has been a change of administration or staff.
We have contacted the hotel to inform them about the above mentioned aspects and try to reason with them what went wrong and what was good. At first they answered and were open to reimburse us for the aspects we have mentioned (and experienced by witnesses), and after offering a compensation (agreeing to our points) THEY NO LONGER ANSWER OUR EMAILS....what kind of professionalism is that for a hotel that is supposed to be 4 stars??? (are they really???). Seriously, if you have a problem with them, they will not get back to you (specially if they have your money already....).

Do not organize weddings in this hotel!

Daniel Redondo
Email: ldredondo@yahoo.com

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

the hotel is very clean, neat, comfortable, and the idea is original and excellent concept of camaleon, kindness and treatment of their employees.
The place surrounded by nature, romantic beach club
very nice, we spent a great time there 100% advisable

Room Tip: rooms nears the pool have a great view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hotel is really nice and the beach club is fun. The area is wonderful and there is a lot of vegetation and animals. The reception was friendly as we got there. There is a simple decoration, the bathroom is enormous. I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: On the left the rooms are sunnier.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Cameleon Hotel? Share your experiences!