“Pluses and Minuses” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chetnole
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The chetnole is a country inn boasting a good range of real ales. An inventive menu is complimented by a wide selection of wines. We have a lovely beer garden for those nice sunny days and log burners for the cold winter nights
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Pluses and Minuses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We visited the Chetnole Inn in late August whilst staying at nearby Sydling St. Nicholas. Our visit did not get off to a good start when I was served a pint of what seemed, to me, to be distinctly 'off' Dartmouth Bitter. Usually I find that hand pumped beers are excellently kept these days - such as the brilliant Gem Bitter I had in Bath, in November, by Bath Ales. Our two main courses were 'hit and miss'. I had the best pie I have ever had in a pub. A delicious ham and chicken one served with equally excellent home cooked chips. My wife, however, described her pan cooked lamb as 'tough and difficult to cut'.

Then came the 'big wait'. It was exactly 55 minutes between finishing our main course and being served our desert. Again they were 'hit and miss' when they arrived. My wife's chocolate brownie was described as 'wonderful'. Perhaps I should have read the menu more carefully in the long wait. When I see the words rhubarb and crumble I think of warm cooked rhubarb with crumble on top served with delicious warm custard or ice cream. This was apparently 'deconstructed' rhubarb and pear crumble. Cold sticks of cooked rhubarb in a small dish, a scattering of cold crumble with a blob of cream on top and a half of poached pear. It may be deconstructed but I can only call it pretentious.

To provide balance to this report our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter went to the Chetnole Inn on the following evening and said they had 'excellent service and very good food'.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ls1214, Owner at The Chetnole Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your review you have submitted with pluses and minuses. We were shocked to hear that you did not have a great pint of Dartmoor bitter. We strive to keep our bitters as best as possible and can only think that the barrel was just about to go, I hope that this was changed for you when you told a member of the team.
We are glad you had the best pie you have ever had in a pub and are upset that your wife felt her lamb special was tough, we wish you had told us so we could have given you another lamb or a completely different dish. We always check our customers meals after a few minutes so wish you had said something at the time so we could have over delivered.
The wait for pudding does seem somewhat strange as this would normally come out with in 10/15 minutes of the order depending on how busy we are. Again we would have hoped that you said something to a member of the team as nobody recalls this long wait. The brownie you describe as wonderful - thank you. The pear dish not what you wanted - this dish was not called rhubarb crumble and did not come with custard or ice cream. The dish was Poached pear with baked rhubarb, clotted cream and toasted oats. Sorry if you thought this was a crumble.
We were very pleased to hear that your daughter, son in law and grand daughter who visited us the next evening found that they had very good food and excellent service.
Again many thanks.

bedford
“Good village pub with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We took a New Zealand guest here as one of the best pubs to eat at in the vicinity, we were not disappointed. The food, as before, was good, beer good and nice ambience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ok but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure why the reviews are so good for this pub / restaurant. The welcome was warm but not exemplary, we weren't shown to our table. There were no tablecloths on the table, just bare wood although maybe thats just for ambience! The menu was varied but seems to be trying too hard instead of just offering good quality. I don't want to sound negative as the food was good but not great. Worth a visit if you are nearby, but I wouldn't travel to eat there.

Visited July 2013
ls1214, Owner at The Chetnole Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to review us and glad that you found the welcome warm, the menu varied and the food good. We are a country village inn offering great varied pub food that is locally sourced and home cooked in a relaxed, friendly & rustic environment, thus we do not use tablecloths as we are not trying to be a fine dining restaurant but more of a casual dining experience.
Many thanks
Mike & Jude.
Pease Pottage, West Sussex, UK
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We ate here as part of our stay at the Inn (please see my more detailed review under the hotel). Great starters, mains, & desserts - and very varied across the menu (with board specials each night as well).

Visited June 2013
Hertfordshire
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just go back from a fantastic stay at the Chetnole Inn. Mike and Jude are very welcoming hosts. Food is right up there with 5 star hotels in London, but also very reasonably priced. The room had tasteful decor, also very clean. With nice finishing touches like the fresh coffee and Moulton Brown products. We will defiantly be returning for another visit.

• Visited June 2013