“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Attleborough
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Great location for family groups, staff worked amazingly hard, food very good, clean spacious and airy rooms & we look forward to staying again. Very good selection of menu choices and a relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: premiere rooms good choice
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

The staff at the hotel are wonderful if a little stretched time wise & the Carvery restaurant offer great value for money, but the walls of the rooms seem to be wafer thin and the building creaks when people move around the upper floors, so bring your ear plugs.
The design of the hotel is a little strange with windows on some rooms opening onto corridors rather than to the outside, the rooms are rather cramped which was OK with just me and a weekend bag in the room but would have struggled if there was 2 of us in the room

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Breckland lodge for one night with friends. We arrived quite late as we were stuck in traffic and had to eat elsewhere as they told us they wouldn't serve food after 9.30pm. We could have got there for 9.35pm would have been nice to eat at Breckland.
Staff were friendly and helpful on arrival.
When we got to our room it was very small with not much space at all.
The bed was rock hard so our nights sleep was pretty bad. Our friends who stayed also had an uncomfortable bed so it wasn't just our room.
In the morning we had issues with the shower. It went from a nice temperature to scalding which burnt my partner. I reported this to reception on checking out.
Premier inn for us next time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed here recently during a business trip and am always dubious when a hotel is booked for me. I've travelled the world for leisure and like to research a place to stay beforehand so I'm never overly disappointed. It was thumbs up from the moment I drove upto the place. It's very conveniently situated and whilst having an old-fashioned warm, comforting welcome, it is surprisingly modern and inviting. This applies not only to the place itself but to the staff, who were pleasant and informative. The first thing I noticed about the hotel building were the bang up-to-date striped carpets and the room itself was big enough for me - plenty of tea and coffee and a comfy bed included. The only downside was the soundproofing which would be inconvenient if you were not a sound sleeper I guess or if you wanted a lie-in. You can all but hear a penny drop in the next room. That said, this fact didn't spoil my stay. The breakfast is great and has a big choice as does the range of evening fayre so hearty eaters won't be disappointed. There's so much to like about this place and to boot, it's a 3 minute drive to a Sainsbury's supermarket should you need any supplies. Check out was easy and pleasant and I was actually sad to be going. Wholly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The hotel is right next to the A11 just South of Attleborough. You can't miss it. If driving toward Norwich bear in mind you need to turn right at the roundabout immediately before the hotel. The road is a dual carriageway and there's no access from the A11 itself. You drive down a country lane for a hundred yards or so to get to the entrance. There is a large car park. The accommodation block is separated from the restaurant building by a distance of around 30ft so bear this in mind during bad weather.

We stayed two nights when visiting nearby Banham zoo (which I would thoroughly recommend) and were pleasantly surprised by the standard of both the accommodation and the food. The whole place looks to be of fairly new construction although curiously the (very small) lift in the accommodation block is of the old fashioned sort with a concertina style gate which must be closed before you press the button to select your floor.

Our room was large and spacious, tastefully decorated in beiges, browns and green, with two 5ft wide beds. Everything looked and smelled very clean and fresh. There was a wickerwork armchair, more decorative than functional. A sofa or comfy armchair would have been nice. There was plenty of room. We had two separate wardrobes and two bedside cabinets each with three drawers. Plenty of room for two people's clothes. I'm not so sure there was enough shelf/drawer space for a family of four staying more than one night. The beds were too hard for my taste - similar to the old style Premier Inn beds (pre-Hypnos). It would have been difficult to use the mirror over the desk as a make up mirror as the lighting was inadequate. The rooms weren't very well soundproofed. We could hear people moving about and talking nearby as well as doors opening and closing and we had a corner room in what was probably the quietest spot. We couldn't hear the traffic on the A11 though and had no difficulty getting to sleep.

The bathroom was large and equipped with both a bath and walk-in shower. The towels were arranged on a heated towel rail (switch in the bedroom). There was nowhere to put a hand towel by the basin. A hook on the wall would have been useful. On the plus side there was a cupboard under the basin where you could store toiletries as well as a shelf above the toilet and a long window sill. On the minus side there were no grab rails either by the bath or in the shower. The floor in the shower was very slippery. A rubber mat would have been useful. The shower floor is about eight inches above the floor of the bathroom itself so it's quite a big step up for those of us with arthritic knees. I didn't like the shower as it was the fixed overhead type. You could angle it slightly but not detach it from the ceiling. I prefer the sort you can hold and direct the spray where you want it. A plastic bath cap was provided so you didn't have to get your hair wet whilst taking a shower. No tissues were provided. There was no light above the bathroom mirror. The hot water supply to the bath was thermostatically controlled with an upper limit of 39C. I'd have liked it to go a couple of degrees higher. The problem I found was that the water started cooling as you were running the bath so by the time it was deep enough to get in, the temperature had dropped a few degrees. Having said all of that, it was one of the best bathrooms I've come across in anything other than a five star hotel in a long while.

We ate in the Bistro the first night. This was a pleasantly decorated lounge bar at one end of the restaurant building and smelled strongly of some sort of herb (possibly sage). It wasn't unpleasant but it was very noticeable. I suspect it would not be to everyone's taste. The service was excellent and the food delicious. We had the sliders. We tried to eat in the Bistro on our second night, arriving at 20:53, only to be told the kitchen was closing and we would have to eat in the main restaurant. This was disappointing. We'd found the restaurant to be very noisy at breakfast. I'm hard of hearing so conversation is difficult in a noisy environment. This is partly why we had chosen the Bistro. Once relocated to the main restaurant the duty manager, James, came to apologise. He agreed that as the cut off time for dinner in the Bistro was 21:00 we should not have been asked to move. He couldn't have been more charming. The food in the main restaurant was very good.

A real plus point for me was that breakfast was cooked to order. It's not included in the price of the room but everything was very reasonably priced eg full English was £6.95. I didn't have the full English as it was huge. I had the children's breakfast which consisted of one egg (any style), saute potatoes, baked beans, one sausage and one slice of bacon with toast and orange juice. All for £4.50. It was the ideal size for a normal adult and represented excellent value for money. For those just wanting a croissant or scone and coffee, the Bistro was also open at breakfast time.

Be warned, the WiFi signal is poor to non-existant. Some of the time I could only get connected in the bedroom when standing near the door. Signal strength seemed best in the Bistro. It was very patchy in the main restaurant.

I really liked the hotel and wouldn't hesitate to go back although I do hope at some point they'll get softer mattress toppers. My biggest criticism is that 10:00 is too early for check out for leisure travellers. I asked about late check out and found there is a charge of £15 to check out at noon and £20 to check out at 13:00. A bit too expensive in my opinion. I'd like to see 11:00 as the norm with perhaps a charge of £10 to stay until 13:00.

To get an "excellent" rating from me the hotel would need to:

*add a box of tissues and grab rails to the bathroom
*offer soft mattress toppers
*boost the WiFi signal
*have a later check out time

Room Tip: Rooms facing the restaurant building are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We had a lovely time as this hotel. The staff were so friendly and could njot have done enough for you.
We both ate in the Stag restaurant and had steaks they were the nicest steaks we have ever eaten.
The room was lovely and had everything you could want. Lovely spacious bathroom. I would defiantley stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Staffs. UK.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Have passed by many times while driving down the A11 - so decided to give it a try while staying over in the area. Pleasantly surprised , nice clean accomodation , excellent meal in the carvery and pleasant efficient service. Only downside was the lack of soundproofing in the rooms, and very noisy plumbing - woken up every time someone flushed the toilet in adjoining rooms! . Apart from that enjoyed the stay and brilliant value for money !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Breckland Lodge? Share your experiences!