“"2nd visit and many more to come” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lower Barn

Save Saved
You added Lower Barn to your Saves list
Lower Barn
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Bosue, Saint Ewe, Mevagissey PL26 6EU, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Saint Ewe B&B and Inns
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“"2nd visit and many more to come”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is our second visit to Lower Barn..

Without doubt this is the best B&B we have ever stayed in, calling it a B&B actually does it a diservice as B&B conjures up images of a bed for the night, standard shower and standard breakfast. From the moment you step on the property you are true guests of Janie and Mike in their amazing self built piece of paradise. Each room is individually styled and they are the most comfortable relaxing rooms I have ever stayed in, the amout of small thoughtful touches in each room are too numerous to mention but rest assured you will time and time again think to yourself "Wow, I can't believe this place".

On this visit we stayed in Janie and Mikes newest addition to there stock of accomodation "The Cranny" This is a totally self contained suite complete with private walled garden, a kitchen, complete with breakfast bar and all essentials for a romantic night in. This room also has a wood burning stove. The bedroom is exquizite in everyway, from the comfy sofa to the sumptious bed - words cannot do this room justice. The bathroom is has the feel of a Morrocan Hammam, nice deep blues and greens used, a luxurious shower and a slipper bath that we could have stayed in for our whole time there.

While stying in The Cranny we indulged in a gorgeous home cooked meal prepared by Janie, in the Shack (excellent *****), had an after dinner drink with some other guests and then adjourned to the Hot Tub to enjoy the starry night.

We opted for the healthy breakfast which we took in The Cranny but Mike would have dropped down a cooked breakfast if we wanted it.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable ,relaxing night away. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We have now stayed in the Garden Room and the Cranny, both amazing. Cranny is bigger and more self c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading many reviews prior to our visit I knew we were onto a winner however it exceeded all of our expectations and more! Janie went the extra mile to make my 40th bday even more special by baking a cake which she bought to the restaurant with sparklers in singing happy bday to me,bringing us breakfast in bed and also making us a beautiful picnic to take out with us.Food was stunning,rooms gorg yet so comfortable and hot tub beaut!!!Without a date get it booked now,u will not regret it x

• Stayed June 2013
Westerham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Where to start... hmmm. The building(s) and setting is beautiful. Janie and Mike are wonderful hosts - we felt that we were staying with friends. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Janie's breakfasts were superb. There is not much more to say (and that has not already been said by other reviewers). If you are looking for a B&B in this area my best advice is you will not find better - book it, now!

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Lower Barn was the perfect setting for a lovely romantic break. It was a real treat and is definitely worth a visit! From the start, Janie was very friendly and welcoming. The beautiful surroundings, our room and the hot tub created a very relaxing atmosphere. As a couple, we felt very spoilt. I have recommended Lower Barn to friends and family. We will be plaining another visit soon, that's for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I haven't got room in this little box to tell you how good this place is, but I'll try. Firstly, yes you need a sat nav to find it, but oh my god it's worth it! The location is perfect for exploring Cornwall whilst still having so much peace and quiet at the B&B, and the grounds it's set in are gorgeous. Secondly, the rooms; stunning. The whole place is done beautifully, it's quirky perfection. The bed was zonk-out-straight-away comfortable, the conservatory was fab to chill out in after a full day of adventures, the bathroom had everything you could possibly need and the breakfast room is unique, inviting and gorgeous! The breakfasts were so tasty, from the fresh fruit and yogurt to the perfectly done full English and everything inbetween. We were there for 5 nights and my boyfriend consumed a full English every day, his jean buttons are now suffering but he doesn't even care! Thirdly, and yes it does deserve a point all by itself, The Shack. A tin roof shed in the garden that they have managed to transform into a a little box of loveliness. Candles, open fire, bunting, cushions, and a hot water bottle for everyone eating in there, its absolutely gorgeous. As was the 3 courses of Janie's cooking that we all stuffed our faces with! Fourthly, Janie and Mike. Friendly, welcoming, full of helpful tips and just generally really lovely, they make lower barn that extra bit special. Plus, their tips on the area and things to do turned out to be little gems so make sure you listen! I genuinely don't think you could wish for nicer hosts.
I'm filling up this little box without even mentioning the hot tub (I could have slept in it) the lovely little family pet, Jazz (the only diabetic dog I have ever met) and the owl (seriously, the place even has an owl!). We had an amazing stay, exceeded all our expectations and we fell a little bit in love with the place. Can't wait to go back, especially to see how the 2 new rooms that mikes been working away on turn out. Thankyou so much Janie and Mike, and hopefully see you soon!
Laura & Martyn

• Stayed June 2013
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Lower Barns is a fantastic place!! From the moment you arrive you are made to feel extremely welcome by Janie and Mike, you can feel all your worldly worries drift away from you the moment you get out the car. This is not your average B&B and it has an atmosphere that makes you smile and feel happy, maybe this is due to the way it is decorated, or perhaps the setting. It is set in the pretty country side down a few narrow country roads, but we found it really easily. It is really close to the Lost gardens of Helligan which is a lovely day out. Also nearby and really easy to get to is the Eden Project and some lovely little harbours and bays, we particularly enjoyed Mevagissy.

We stayed in the Garden Suite which has an extremely comfy super king size bed, its own conservatory with 2 chairs and a big telly and a small shower room (if you're really fat you might struggle to get in the shower as the entrance to it is quite narrow). It is a lovely light and bright room, but was a little too light on a morning; it had a luxurious curtain which pulls across the conservatory, but the blinds on the window behind the bed didn't keep much light out, this bothered my husband a bit as he likes to sleep in the dark.

The breakfasts are fantastic, a real feast, they are to treated as a leisurely treat and are a quite social occasion with all guests sat round one big table.

Lower Barns also has a hot tub, which was lovely after a long day walking. They have a beautiful garden which we spent a good afternoon sun bathing in.

I can't wait for Nook and Cranny to be finished. These are two little self-contained cottages which are being built at the bottom of the garden and look like they are going to be the height of luxury. We shall be back.

the lakes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at lower barn for three nights in the hide away. It was the best three nights sleep, best three breakfast and best bubble baths I've ever had! I found lower barn just by browsing the internet, my criteria was a B&B with a difference- any where in Cornwall. Lower Barn was exactly what I was picturing in my head and I'm so glad I found it. The hide away is one amazing room, romantic and fun with love hearts everywhere! I loved the chocolate treats on the pillow when we arrived. We ate in the shack on the first night and my god I'm glad we did! hot water bottles to keep us warm, dozens of twinkling candles and fairy lights and the best home cooked three course meal I have ever had :) I was still full the next morning at breakfast, which was also amazing by the way! I could go on all day about how AMAZING Lower Barn is! We will definitely be staying again and again and again :) thanks Mike & Janie!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lower Barn? Share your experiences!