“Very poor experience with this resort.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alpina Phuket Nalina Resort & Spa

You added Alpina Phuket Nalina Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Alpina Phuket Nalina Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7/1 Ketkwan Road | T. Karon a. Muang Phuket, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
Victoria
“Very poor experience with this resort.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Right from check-in, I was not impressed with this resort. The staff were rude, did not have the time of day for us and seemed like they really did not care if we were not happy with their service provided.
On check-in, we were given our room keys and were told there was a map of the resort on the back of the pamphlet that came with the room keys. We walked through this huge resort with other people we were staying with (who were in another room and building to us), trying to find our room in the dark. Staff did not bother to give us directions or lead us to the room. We finally found our room and opened the door to a musty, damp smell. I can understand the rooms are humid due to the weather but some fragrance in the room isn't that hard to organize. I was tempted to ask to be changed to another room due to the smell but I got used to it and when the air con was turned on, it wasn't as obvious. There are also plenty of mosquitoes in the room, so be prepared.The room is actually pretty and cultural. I liked it.
We booked a jazz pool access room....which we did not use because the water was freezing and the pool was surrounded by trees which blocked the sun....kind of defeats the purpose of having sun lounges in the area if there is no sun access.
Pool staff are horrendously rude....I was disgusted at their attitude. One day I was taking clean towels from the towel area at the pool only to be hounded by the male pool staff and asked in an aggressive manner "WHERE ARE YOU TAKING THOSE TOWELS??"......relax mate, I'm not stealing your towels.
On another occasion, the same male ignored me and was muttering under his breath when I asked him if he knew where the clean pool towels were as there were none supplied at the time we went to the pool.....I think he has something for those towels.
Room service was very slow. I asked the front desk for an ironing board and iron and it took a good hour to come to the room, luckily I was not in a rush to get somewhere at the time.
Our room was cleaned at various times and sometimes late arvo...some instances we were not given bottled water (which was an issue for us as we can't drink their water), no toiletries were replenished, towels seemed scarce (maybe the pool man was in charge of this?), floor seemed dirty...a real let down.
The bathroom is a let down also. Every time we used the shower, the room was saturated in water because water would flow along the edge of the shower and down onto the floor. The hotel staff have previously screwed a guide onto the floor to allow all the water to flow straight into the drain in the floor. To access the shower, you need to step onto a step and climb into the shower...this could be quite dangerous if you're old, have a disability or are not tall enough to hold onto the above wooden frame or something to steady yourself.
The toilet seat was faulty and would slide around if pressure was applied to one side.
Wi-fi is free however don't even bother wasting your time trying to use it as it is virtually non-existent. It is so slow and drains battery life trying to load one page.Don't even bother using the hotels provided computers which they charge 45 baht for 15 minutes for as they are even slower.
Breakfast is a joke. There is not much variety at all and everything seems stale and old. The egg station is shocking. There is old egg splashed all over the wooden box that covers the hot plates, it's really off putting. Also, too bad if you don't like onion, tomato, bacon or capsicum as that's all there is to choose from if you want an omelette...no cheese...no mushroom....NOTHING ELSE!
Staff during breakfast were rude and gave the impression that they had better things to do. Not once were we directed to a table or greeted on arrival. We picked our own table, served our own coffee, cleared our own plates....shocking! On one occasion, as we were travelling with others (total of 6 people), we asked a young female staff member to pull two tables together so we could all fit together, she refused saying we all had to sit separately...with no other explanation. We refused and cracked it until she finally succumbed and pulled two tables together. Not very hard or much to ask for. We would have understood if the breakfast was busy or there was a logical explanation for why she was refusing but neither was the case and she just didn't want to do what we'd asked!
Only positives of this hotel are the bell boys and the female that organises the tours and the huge pool (though this is quite deep). Everything else is a huge let down.
I hope the hotel reads this (they have trip advisor reviews (positive ones) put up in elevators across the resort) and does something drastic about how negative some people feel about this place.
My advise to others ...don't waste your time! There is better out there...I'm sure of it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent last xmas and new year at the hotel Alpina. The location was very good and quiet. About 1 km from beach. The pool area was the best, big, clean fresh pool with lots of space and sun beds and towels for free. The breakfast was good, and service was excelent. The hotel personel was very very frienly and the rooms were clean. The thursday free cocktails the management arrenged were also very nice. I and my family were very happy to stay in Hotel Alpina. Also the xmasparty and new year party were good arranged and a lot of fun. Food was good. Thank you !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
united kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I am staying at this hotel at the moment and have just read the reviews of other people who have stay here during the same time,and some people are so wrong this is a super hotel , the staff cannot do enough for you, and if you have any problems the GM will soon sort it out who speaks perfect English,some people who go away need to realise their are in different country, and I bet the people who moans about the staff not talking very good English Well their can talk better English then I can talk Thai. This is not my full review I will do this when I return to England

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is average and I had no major problems, but I didn't find the hotel to be that good mainly due to staff issues and to be honest, I'll probably be trying something else next time.

We got a pool access room and it was worth the extra cost. Having said that, housekeeping staff are supposed to leave coloured towers in pool access rooms but on no occasion during our 3 night stay did this happen, even after we requested it at the front desk. Housekeeping cleaned twice a day (?) which I found unusual and I was surprised to find staff in my room when I returned from resting on the pool and balcony in the late afternoon.

Good points:
Rooms are large, bathroom has a large shower area, two sinks and the water pressure is excellent, bed is large and firm. Pool access from our balcony is a very nice added touch. The pool is REALLY nice. Room service is quick and reasonably priced. The Spa was very relaxing, ladies are professional and the environment is peaceful.

Negatives:
- You cannot control the AC unit heat in the room. It changed the temperature automatically during the day and night and I was unable to sleep well at night due to the noise from the unit. Turning it off just made the room too hot after a couple of hours.
- Mosquitoes in the room: staff used a spray, we used repellent and the anti mosquito electrical thing but we were still bitten during the night.
- To say the internet was slow is an understatement, which is odd because internet in Thailand is quite good. it takes about 4 minutes to load a basic page. Don't count on accessing TripAdvisor while you are there :D
- Walls and general room decor are looking tired and the bathroom was a bit mouldy.
- The TV reception is the worst I've ever seen.
- Some staff: bellboy/bus driver ignored us which wouldn't usually bother me so much if we weren't asking them a question.
- Breakfast is really understaffed and there isn't enough space as you have to wait for a table to be free, when a table is available, staff are busy collecting dishes and cannot clear up tables. ACs above the breakfast area leak, so be careful not to sit under them. Bacon was almost charcoal and no syrup or honey for the waffles.
- Shuttle was not on time and always full at 10, if there are too many guests for one trip, surely they can come back and collect the others in 10 minutes?
- When we ordered room service, it came with a notice telling us to call the guest service when we finished, to not put dishes in the corridor. We called the guest services and they asked us to do just that: put it in the corridor. 6 hours later it was still there.
- Courtesy late check-out is not available, you must pay 600 baht per hour.
- The area around the hotel isn't that nice, you have more massage parlors than restaurants in the area and it's a 15 minute walk to the beach.

I filled in the feedback form with these details and gave it to the clerk at check-out, maybe they can take some measures to improve service, if it ever reaches the main office.

Also, the airport transfer (taxi) takes about an hour, the hotel can connect you to a company (900 baht I think) but I booked a slightly cheaper option online.

Room Tip: The pool access rooms are nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We reserved this hotel after we read this tripadvisor. Wrong!!
I've been work tourism industry long time and I was so excited what kind of service what we get with my family.
The room was old, stain the walls, scrach the floor and a/c didn't work properly.
The staff was not friendly and couldn't understand English. How can I explain what's wrong the room or other issue!
Hotel management needs to give basic english training(this is a common sense).

The power came off the morning(4am). When I asked the front desk the morning wha't wrong?
He didn't know anything about it. They don't have communication between shift change.
This is basic skill.

I will tell everyone and don't reserve local name hotel.

Room Tip: I don't recommend any room because this facility is very old. They need to repair.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent position, the facilities are everything you would expect of hotel of this rating in Thailand with very reasonable prices and is extremely clean.

The staff are among the best we have encountered anywhere in the world and always have a smile to greet you and are extremely friendly.

The food and drinks are very good - again at a reasonable price and the service was excellent.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a holiday in Phuket - it is close to many attractions with loads to see and do, use the hotel taxis to get around - amazingly good value.

The only downside is the amount of Russian residents who always seem to be always rude and unpleasant to all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lahore, Pakistan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel is situated on a relatively large property, rooms were spacious and clean, the pool was awesome but the breakfast was terrible, it took ages to explain (including a couple of wrong tries by the chef) how to make an omelet without egg yolk. The only restaurant in the hotel named Mama Mia offered ok pizza and deep friend tempuras but terrible sea food (the steamed fish was nauseating to look at).
Go here solely for the room and pool experience, not food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple