We stayed at Kata Lucky Villas for a New Year break in Phuket. The property was just a five minute walk from Kata Noi beach. Yes the walk is along quite a busy road but that was absolutely fine, and the road is littered with lovely bars and restaurants. I can definitely recommend the Italian just opposite the hotel and 'Largo', a tapas bar as you arrive into Kata Noi.
On arrival I was really impressed with the room: it was modern, spacious, clean with a very comfortable bed, large bathroom and all mod cons required to make our stay. We opted for the pool access room which was an excellent choice; I liked the fact that we could have a swim and leave our belongings on our patio area. The hotel grounds were well-maintained and I liked the layout of the property, again modern and clean.
Breakfast at D'Rice kitchen was adequate for me: there was a choice of cereals, asian-style breakfast, bacon and eggs, waffles and pancakes, tea, coffee and juices. If you get there early enough there is also an omelette chef who will cook you specific omelettes. Was a bit disappointed that the tickets you get given for breakfast from the reception state that breakfast is until 10:30am yet the hotel booklet states 11am.
Bit of a tip: also the room service menu is impressive and offers quite a selection, I wouldn't be tempted. We ordered it one day and our food arrived cold. We found out why one day on a walk back from the beach, they have to carry your food from the D'Rice kitchen on the edge of the property to your bedroom (which in our case was quite a stroll away). They also don't cover your food so all manner of flies and in some case (which we witnessed to the poor recipitant) rain affects your food. Just a note to save you from complaining about getting cold food.
The bar on our side of the property (pool access side) was rarely manned which meant that we just kept going to the local 7-11 to buy beers and vodka and just loaded up the fridge with our goodies. Saved money and going to reception to ask them to put a member of staff on the bar. The reception staff were okay but never once went out of our way to make us feel welcome or appreciated, I don't think we were even greeted with a smile on check-in! There always seemed to be about six members of staff on reception but they always seemed too engrossed in their phones or the internet to be able to serve you. Bit rude but we were there for the sun and not the service (although I suppose that's what you pay for).
No Wi-Fi access was included with our stay, I regularly bought wi-fi vouchers from reception (when I could get served). These were 50 Baht for an hour. Not important to me but worth noting for your information.
Overall I would recommended this property for a first-time stay in Kata, Phuket. If you want somewhere with a good room and pool access where you can create your own entertainment with friends, this is perfect for you. If you're looking for a resort-style hotel with entertainment, restaurants and bars then Kata Lucky Villas definitely doesn't fit the bill. This hotel is quiet quiet quiet in the evenings with nothing going on whatsoever. They had no decorations for Christmas and New Year and no events planned at all on New Years' Eve, which we did find weird. Luckily the beach was the place to be and that was unbelievably amazing.
Just be aware that this property is quite basic when it comes to additional amenities and 'fun'. It seemed to be a popular choice for Russians and Scandinavians. As visitors from the UK, we were in the minority, but we didn't care at all and were in the pool morning noon and night! Next time we'll try somewhere else as we thought it was quite expensive here for what you got in return, but it's a good location and worth trying once- if you get a decent room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kata Lucky Villa & Pool Access in central Kata, a mere 500 meters from Kata Beach and is surrounded by mountains and beautiful gardens. If you have been searching for a place to relax- you can now end your search! We create a relaxing atmosphere in a tropical garden villa style for you and your family to enjoy. We are one of the best choices and will make you feel at home whilst you enjoy the warm, friendly and comfortable environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Kata Lucky Villa & Pool Access reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kata Lucky Villas Hotel Kathu
- Kata Lucky Villa & Pool Access Phuket/Kata Beach