“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION

Save Saved
You added Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION to your Saves list
Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   20/10 Kata Road | Kata Beach, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand (Formerly Sugar Palm Resort, Kata Beach)   |
Ranked #51 of 51 hotels in Kata Beach
melbourne
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed there for two nights, sugar plan is a nice hotel, location is pretty good. Very close to shops and beach. Price is okay for service. Not a bad place to stay :) I wouldn't mind staying there next time.

• Stayed August 2012

512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Within walking distance to the beach, easy access to restaurants. The hotel was clean, functional and had wifi access. We had the pool access room so it was quite nice and peaceful in the mornings just to sit by the pool to have breakfast. The massage place outside the hotel is cheap and good. Overall, not a bad place and I would stay there again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Reception staff and porter on arrival very helpful, we checked in early without a problem, The room was very clean and the free mini bar was superb. (never had a free mini bar before) the staff were very friendly. The breakfast was good but could have been a bit better, they let people smoke, while you are still eating, to me that really lowered the place, also there was a constant smell of cigarettes all around the hallways. The swimming pool was clean but because it's black tiles it looks dirty. The location is superb for Kata beach and surrounding restaurants and bars.
I would stay there again, and I would recommend it to my friends, I think it's value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed here on 5 occasions, the first 2 times in 2009. Loved it , the staff were so nice and the location was ideal , the price was just right. I had even recommended the sugar palm to family and friends who have all enjoyed their time there, but not any more. When a certain fraction of the public began to invade phuket they also brought their bad manners and aggressive behaviour with them. Not sure why staff can't tell them that's it's not acceptable to party by the pool at 2 & 3 in the morning. The shine has gone we now stay elsewhere .
The staff are still very nice, and I would love to stay here again, if only..............

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Reception staff and porter on arrival very good
Room clean- sheets clean- old pillows not nice- room looked very nice but once you started looking !!!
Small Ants and small spiders in bathroom and around the tea tray shelf ( Good job tthe friendly gecko was on hand to help with the clean up)
Bathroom - as clean as could be bearing in mind it was very tired as was the bedroom nice size room with a sofa bed free mini bar with a coke beer and carrot juice and two waters every day only they kept forgeting to put one or the other in and maybe it came later....
Breakfast was an event with mostly unhappy people working, every thing was an effort and we were in the way!! best bit was the sparrows helpining themselves to the pastries, ( as it is all open air) how off puting was that.
Security at the Sugar Palm is a most respectfull gent who salutes you and has a BIG smile all the time He was great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having read some of the earlier reviews of this hotel I wonder if we are talking about the same place. We found the staff to be pleasant and helpful at all times and our whole stay was very enjoyable. This hotel is well positioned being an easy stroll to Kata Beach and nearby to some great bars and restaurants and of course the ever present shops and massage parlours. They provide an excellent and varied buffet breakfast which is exclusive to hotel guests and appeals to many nationalities. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped and the bathroom is perfectly adequate. This is not pretending to be a 5 star luxury resort and does not advertise itself as such. We had a ground floor room which opened onto the pool so you could jump off your balcony into the pool and I would highly recommend this position as something unique & very enjoyable. Room service is available from a nearby restaurant which is also owned by the hotel and provides excellent food very promptly. We have stayed many times in Phuket and found the hotel to be as good as any in this price range.

Room Tip: Choose poolside balcony room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Where do I even begin? Check in was atrocious, the woman had very poor English and seemed irritated that we had interrupted her day right from the get go. I had a printed sheet of paper with the hotels.com booking info all there, but she for some reason insisted I had to forward the actual email to her... I tried 10 times from my iPad using their crap wifi but it kept dropping out so I had to go to the hotel's dingy old computer area. After about 25 uncomfortable minutes we were finally checked in and escorted to our room.

Wow. The room was pretty large and it was quite stylish and modern but these superficial features didn't end up contributing much to our horrible experience. The bed is literally hard as rocks. My poor boy couldn't even sleep on it, it bruised his hips! He slept on the daybed/couch thing which was marginally more comfortable but tiny.

Next was room "service". We tried calling 3 times and each time the line rang out. Frustrated and hungry, we went down to the restaurant and tried ordering food from there. After being palmed off by 2 different staff members who could not speak English, we finally ordered from who I assume is the restaurant manager. When the food arrived it was pretty ordinary but it was also very cheap so whatever. This whole process repeated itself the next day only this time they also forgot half our order! This is probably our fault for attempting to access a nonexistent service a second time though. Oh and our plates sat in the hallway for over 24 hours too.

Then - the pool. Ew. It is old, tiles are coming off everywhere, and all kinds of debris and floaters inhabit the surface. We had a pool access room but I only got as far as putting my feet in - and even they came out covered in dirty specks of something gross :/

The bathroom was yuck too. The shower amounted to a drizzle of lukewarm water and nothing more.

I have never been so monumentally disappointed in a hotel before! Check my other reviews, we really aren't picky at all and rarely complain. This one was the most expensive we stayed in on our one month trip and it really was a gruelling experience. I was so excited prior to arriving too :( Complete and utter rip off I say. In fact, my whole perspective of Phuket itself has now changed and I doubt I'll ever be back to the area. Nice work, Sugar Palm.

Stayed January 2013

Been to Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION? Share your experiences!