“ok hotel near to beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION

You added Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION to your Saves list
Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   20/10 Kata Road | Kata Beach, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand (Formerly Sugar Palm Resort, Kata Beach)   |
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“ok hotel near to beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Reception staff and porter on arrival very good
Room clean- sheets clean- old pillows not nice- room looked very nice but once you started looking !!!
Small Ants and small spiders in bathroom and around the tea tray shelf ( Good job tthe friendly gecko was on hand to help with the clean up)
Bathroom - as clean as could be bearing in mind it was very tired as was the bedroom nice size room with a sofa bed free mini bar with a coke beer and carrot juice and two waters every day only they kept forgeting to put one or the other in and maybe it came later....
Breakfast was an event with mostly unhappy people working, every thing was an effort and we were in the way!! best bit was the sparrows helpining themselves to the pastries, ( as it is all open air) how off puting was that.
Security at the Sugar Palm is a most respectfull gent who salutes you and has a BIG smile all the time He was great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Doha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having read some of the earlier reviews of this hotel I wonder if we are talking about the same place. We found the staff to be pleasant and helpful at all times and our whole stay was very enjoyable. This hotel is well positioned being an easy stroll to Kata Beach and nearby to some great bars and restaurants and of course the ever present shops and massage parlours. They provide an excellent and varied buffet breakfast which is exclusive to hotel guests and appeals to many nationalities. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped and the bathroom is perfectly adequate. This is not pretending to be a 5 star luxury resort and does not advertise itself as such. We had a ground floor room which opened onto the pool so you could jump off your balcony into the pool and I would highly recommend this position as something unique & very enjoyable. Room service is available from a nearby restaurant which is also owned by the hotel and provides excellent food very promptly. We have stayed many times in Phuket and found the hotel to be as good as any in this price range.

Room Tip: Choose poolside balcony room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Where do I even begin? Check in was atrocious, the woman had very poor English and seemed irritated that we had interrupted her day right from the get go. I had a printed sheet of paper with the hotels.com booking info all there, but she for some reason insisted I had to forward the actual email to her... I tried 10 times from my iPad using their crap wifi but it kept dropping out so I had to go to the hotel's dingy old computer area. After about 25 uncomfortable minutes we were finally checked in and escorted to our room.

Wow. The room was pretty large and it was quite stylish and modern but these superficial features didn't end up contributing much to our horrible experience. The bed is literally hard as rocks. My poor boy couldn't even sleep on it, it bruised his hips! He slept on the daybed/couch thing which was marginally more comfortable but tiny.

Next was room "service". We tried calling 3 times and each time the line rang out. Frustrated and hungry, we went down to the restaurant and tried ordering food from there. After being palmed off by 2 different staff members who could not speak English, we finally ordered from who I assume is the restaurant manager. When the food arrived it was pretty ordinary but it was also very cheap so whatever. This whole process repeated itself the next day only this time they also forgot half our order! This is probably our fault for attempting to access a nonexistent service a second time though. Oh and our plates sat in the hallway for over 24 hours too.

Then - the pool. Ew. It is old, tiles are coming off everywhere, and all kinds of debris and floaters inhabit the surface. We had a pool access room but I only got as far as putting my feet in - and even they came out covered in dirty specks of something gross :/

The bathroom was yuck too. The shower amounted to a drizzle of lukewarm water and nothing more.

I have never been so monumentally disappointed in a hotel before! Check my other reviews, we really aren't picky at all and rarely complain. This one was the most expensive we stayed in on our one month trip and it really was a gruelling experience. I was so excited prior to arriving too :( Complete and utter rip off I say. In fact, my whole perspective of Phuket itself has now changed and I doubt I'll ever be back to the area. Nice work, Sugar Palm.

Stayed January 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We had a spacious bedroom with a comfortable bed and fully operational a/c. Cleanliness is not the strongest point in the hotel, but it was still acceptable - even when freshly cleaned the linoleum floor looks pretty awful. The toiletries provided were nice but the towels rather grotty. The best points: good location at the southern end of Kata Beach and easy beach access, a rather charming pool area, excellent wifi and bits of pieces free in the mini bar. We also found the staff at reception helpful and friendly. With a bit of effort and investment could be better.

• Stayed February 2013
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The pictures on their website do not resemble the actual room. The bathroom was filthy. Mold and lime scale could be seen in the tiles, faucets, shower curtain and wood trimmings. It was hard to feel clean even after taking a shower. The bedroom itself was very large and spacious. The beds were firmer than we liked but it was comfortable. As others have said the furniture needs a lot of updating. Maybe a good cleaning or refinishing would do the trick. The A/C worked fine during our stay which provided a welcome relief from the heat. The free WiFi was not fast but enough to do some light browsing.

The location was good. There are many restaurants, mini-marts (7-11), and reliable money changers within a short walk. And of course, the beach was just right down the street. We received a good deal on the room which included breakfast so we were not expecting stellar service or luxury. If I could do it all over again, I would look elsewhere and pay a little more to get a nicer room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

It is a very basic hotel. The rooms are big but not new. The bed is big, not soft, but clean. The washroom is old, towels grey instead of white. Location is perfect, two minutes far from Kata Beach, with a lot of shops nearby.

• Stayed February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I like the location as it's very convenient to most attraction at Kata, just a short walk to the beach, to seven eleven, restaurants etc. The room is very big. However, the hotel fittings are quite old and design are not as modern as most new hotels. The tiles and toilet bowl and shower and room decor looks old and not modern. Air condition need a longer time to cool the room as the room is big, about 10 mins. Staff are friendly but strict with hotel policies as they charge us extra for my son who is 13 for staying in the room. Some hotels would close an eye as he is only slightly above twelve but not for this hotel. The restaurant staff also constantly check to see if we have breakfast coupons. I feel that the staff are too worried and uptight, makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I did not enjoy the stay in Kata as I find the beach too crowded and the price of shopping and massage and food is higher then Patong. I enjoy Patong a lot better with more variety of shopping, massage and cheap and alot more delicious food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION? Share your experiences!