“Tropical Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 51 hotels in Kata Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Tropical Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Located on a hill in Patak Phuket, Boomerang Village has amazing gardens, a lovely swimming pool, and a fabulous Jacuzzi.

With a 45 minute drive from Phuket International Airport, this village resort is a magnificent get-away from the hustle and bustle of Phuket town and just a ten minute walk to the beach or the hotel provides an hourly shuttle service that drops and picks you up at your convenience.

During my time in Thailand, i have stayed in four hotels, which i have all reviewed. This is definately the only one that made it to 5 stars. I am a hard critic and i pay attention to detail.

Apart from scenery and location, Boomerang rates 5 stars because;
(I) the staff are lovely and will always be there to help you out.
(ii) the food is amazing
(iii) their rooms are beautifully designed, spacious with clean bathrooms.
(iv) their internet was more consitent than any other resort we stayed in, and only required registering devices once.

This place is a must visit, reasonably priced considering how fabulous it is.
A combination of nature, great style & design, friendly and helpful staff, good food and....speechless. Trust me when you are booking a hotel.... the reviews help..the brochures are make belief... as you will find out in my next review of The Bel Aire......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

733 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. The staff are incredibly helpful and very friendly. We stayed in a basic room and it was absolutely beautiful. The pool is perfect for cooling down after a day exploring Phuket. We hired a moped for a day from the hotel for only 250THB. Whilst we didn't use the shuttle service to the beach we saw lots of others using the service and it was great to have the option. We were going to a wedding and the hotel arranged a taxi to the resort for us. They also arranged a taxi to the airport. Both were very reasonably priced. The day that we hired a moped was actually the day we checked out. When we returned at 4:30pm we had an hour to kill before our taxi to the airport. We were given towels and allowed to use the pool even though we technically were no longer guests at the hotel. The wifi works really well all round the resort. We ate at the restaurant on site and it was very good. The hill up to the hotel is a little steep but as a young couple it was fine for us. We walked down to the beach on our first night and it only took about 15 minutes. We didn't have any trouble with mosquitoes but I imagine they may have been an issue if you sat around the pool after the sun had gone down. All in all an excellent hotel and one that we would definitely recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 week stay at the Boomerang Resort. From the moment we checked in the staff did all they could to make our stay enjoyable. The manager, Paulo, who seems to work 24/7 was even there to welcome us in at 1am after our flight was delayed. Our Deluxe room was clean and spacious and attractively decorated in Thai style. The gardens were a delight, full of tropical flowers and beautifully maintained. The kidney-shaped pool and the peaceful grounds were very welcome when returning from Kata town or from the relatively busy beach areas. The breakfast was very acceptable for a small hotel with choices to suit most tastes. We also enjoyed 3 dinners on the pool terrace during our stay - the service a little slow at times but the food was very good. The complimentary taxi service to/from the beach was a nice perk and always reliable. To sum up, if you want to be amongst the action, this hotel is not for you. However, if you crave beauty, peace and quiet, good service,with the action within easy reach this hotel is highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the resort twice in March/April in both the Pool Villa and a Superior Rooms, the pool villa was about $20AUS more a night and had a more spacious bathroom and living area but both options were good. I found the majority of reviews on tripadvisor were pretty accurate.

Overall it is a lovely resort, the rooms are spacious and funished in traditional Thai funiture, staff were obliging and friendly although reception girls did not always have the best english but I never had any issues, it just sometimes took a little longer to explain what you wanted. I thought the breakfast options were good...nothing outstanding but pretty standard for budget/mid range hotels in Thailand. The airport pickup service was great....I never had any issues with Taxis organised through the hotel, all turned up at the nominated times. The pool area was lovely and there was always a sun lounger or two free and the gardens were beautiful maintained. WiFi was available thoughout the resort and there were several computers availble for use in their business centre if you dont have your own.

As other reviews have said the resort is not near the beach (free shuttle is available) so if you want to be near the beach this is probably not the place for you. However I walked down every day and it took about 15-20 minutes. As others have said the resort is on a hill...I would consider myself to be of average fitness and I didnt think it was a big deal...a bit steep but a good chance to walk off dinner or that additional beer I decided to have :) If you are really unfit or have mobility issues you might want to reconsider staying here but Tuk Tuks and taxis are cheap so maybe just get a lift back up the hill.
All in all I thought the resort was a good value for money option, it offered all the services I required at a great price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool and reception....less noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I recently returned from a 6 night stay at Boomerang with my boyfriend, which I booked after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and also because of the great value.

Generally, I found this hotel to be really good value for money and it met the expectations I had formed after reading the reviews. The room was beautiful and huge, we had a standard room which is like a little bungalow. It was beautifully decorated with Thai art and decorations, which definitely set it apart from any other typical chain hotel. The bed was massive, it felt like we could have had an extra person in there and still had more than enough space! A couple of cons to the room - I found the lighting a little bit strange, either too light or too dark and we couldn't let much natural light in because people regularly walked past our windows. Also make sure you bring insect repellant - you would expect this in Thailand but possibly not expect to need it in your hotel room. The room is air conditioned and they provide mosquito coils so there were rarely any mosquitoes in the bedroom, but the bathroom has no AC so quite a few would come in from the bathroom - if we weren't covered in insect repellant, there were some nights when we'd wake up with loads of bites (same goes for napping by the pool!).

The staff were really friendly, helpful and provided a real personal service, the day receptionist had a little trouble with English but we always got there in the end and she was always lovely. The evening receptionist spoke perfect English and again was always very friendly and helpful - we found this to be the case with the service throughout our stay in any restaurant, bar or hotel we visited.

I didn't love the breakfast selection - there wasn't much variety, especially if you don't eat meat, and the spread could have been cleaner, there were often insects around the fruit. That said, you can get eggs to order from the nicest, smiley lady and the omelettes she made me were always delicious.

We used the free car service down to the beach and back again because it was so convenient. Boomerang has its own area at the beach and you can pay for a lounger either there or at the hotel (cheaper to pay at the hotel, you have to get a coupon and bring it with you). The beach is amazing, Boomerang's stretch is a lot quieter than further along the beach. Another reviewer made a comment which I totally identify with about people jabbering over you at the beach - we found this on our first day but after that, we were a lot smarter about where we chose to sit and didn't have any problems after that. We walked back to the hotel once after having lunch and going shopping, the hill that everyone talks about was manageable for us as a (relatively) young couple, but I can see how it could be a struggle. Tuk tuk rides back to the hotel at night were always fun, feeling like we were going to fall out the back of it getting up the hill!

In terms of hotel location, as we were expecting from reading the reviews, the hotel is not particularly central or near to any other big hotels. Most of the hotels are located near the beach and the town. For me, being in a quiet location away from the hustle of the town was an advantage of Boomerang, but it depends what you're looking for as this might not be to everyone's taste. In the evenings we got the hotel taxi or tuk tuk (one way) to Kata for 200THB and to Karon for 200 - 250THB. It takes hardly any time and I really can't complain about the cost when I see these little tuk tuks trying to get up that hill. I also liked that you can take yourself to and from the business as you choose.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Yep, that hill is something. If you want to just laze around the pool, eat good food, have access to internet, and sleep in a comfortable bed, well this is the place to be. Paulo the manager is absolutely incredible - he cares for all his guests in a most professional manner. He really is invaluable and a perfect gentleman. As for glitches, well after travelling 6 weeks around Thailand without the pink glasses, you come to understand that this country is a mess...some see it, some don't want to. So, here at Boomerang, they are doing just fine, by Thailand standards and the staff was truly so very very dedicated and friendly. It would be nice to have shuttle service at other times during the day and/or evenings. Oh, and Kata Beach has been invaded by the Russians; hopefully the government will intervene as it appears to be, well, not a good thing according to everybody that lives there :( Sorry if you are a good Russian person.

Room Tip: Close to reception. Bring earplugs and you'll have a great sleep :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was a wee bit disappointed by this place. Perhaps they were just having an off week, but I'll outline below.

First, the good things

1. Lovely pool. Usually deserted, except for one night when about 30 people were camped out around it - never worked out why - wasn't the Elvis show.
2. Wait staff and drivers were nice people. We had one great driver who took us to the beach and to the Big Buddha. He was excellent :)
3. Food in restaurant good and on par in price with 'western' restaurants at beach. Breakfast, though, wasn't as good - didn't appreciate it being open air, late in the morning there were ants etc...
4. The price is good for a budget hotel. I think it was one of the cheaper options in Kata. If you can't budge on price, it isn't bad value. However, I think for $20 - $30 more per night, you could be somewhere nicer.
5. The section of beach is nice, and the shuttle to get there good.

The not so good....

1. The hill. Yep, its a big hill. We walked up it lots because, having come from Bangkok, we didn't want to pay for overpriced cabs (in saying this, the hotel cab service was the same cost of public taxis, and I would recommend the hotel service over the public ones anyday). We are both fit and ended up sweaty and gross after walking up. Drivers picking us up for trips etc found it hard to get up, and got stuck trying to turn around. In the end, it was just a pain in the butt to go anywhere.
2. Our A/C started leaking the first day we were there. Someone came and 'fixed it', but it continued leaking and we gave up asking about it at reception, as we figured the answer would be 'turn it off'. The maids knew it was leaking as they put towels on the floor.
3. Speaking of the maids.. I'm sure they were lovely people, but good lord, was maid service slow. One day we left at 11 and got back at 3 and the room wasn't done, ok, they may have missed it, but it took them another hour to do it. Another day we left at 5am, got back at 3pm and IT STILL WASN'T DONE. It took them one and a half hours to clean it. Keeping in mind we had been out on a boat all day and all we wanted to do was change our clothes and sit on our bed. 10 hours to change the sheets is a bit much.
4. English. The receptionist didn't seem to have a good grasp of English. We had wanted to book excursions etc and just couldn't, because she couldn't understand us. For instance, we asked for a 'beach umbrella' instead of a 'parasol' (a word we wouldn't normally use) and had her bamboozled. When we checked out, I pointed out she only loaded one airport transfer on the bill (and showed her my printed confirmation) and got a smile and nod, but she didn't add the other transfer. Ten minutes later when I asked her where the heck our taxi to the airport was, she was totally confused, had to get the manager and they both tapped away at calculators ignoring me, trying to work out what I had paid for. I tried to explain that I had paid 20% of the cost of both transfers in my deposit, so I must need to pay the other 80% for the one way transfer, but after about 5 minutes they told me (to their credit) that a car was waiting outside and that we could go. I appreciated this but honestly, after all the English speaking issues I was a bit miffed in the end.
5. It was so noisy! I imagined it would be quiet, up on the hill, and that's why we chose it. But there were dogs barking, scooters, the awful Elvis show, things banging on the roof... people lighting fires below our room in the property below... it was noisy as. I would rather stay at the beach where it probably is noisy, but there isn't a giant hill to go anywhere!

If you can't afford anything better, this place isn't the worst - it's just not quite as good as I would have hoped. If you can afford to do so, the beach looks much nicer - so much easier to go for a walk or grab a bottle or water or snack, or head to the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Boomerang Village Resort? Share your experiences!