“Good first time in Kata” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kata Poolside Resort

You added Kata Poolside Resort to your Saves list
Kata Poolside Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36-38 Kata Road | Kata Beach, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
Darwin
“Good first time in Kata”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We really liked staying at this hotel. We have been to Phuket 8 or so times over the years and usually stay at Holiday Inn Patong. Our kids are older now and Patong is getting a little too busy for us so we decided to venture out to Kata.

We chose this hotel as my mum has stayed here the last two years, each time for a month. She has always spoken very highly of the hotel, it’s staff and location.

The hotel is a very good three star hotel. It is set back from the road so it is very quiet. The restaurant is at the front of the hotel (road side) and there is a small car park in between the restaurant and main reception area.

We had organized the two pool access rooms of the first building. There is a small set of steps from the patio into the pool and it wouldn’t really be good for those who are not good on their feet as it could be an effort on the way back up. The pool was always very very clean – I was impressed with the cleanliness. I really hate dark rooms and avoid them like the plague and I was worried about this. However it was not as dark as I had expected and there was not issue. The furniture is dark which I think gives the impression there is limited sunlight but no so.

We found the hotel staff very helpful and attentive. We had hired scooters and the security guy always helped us get the bikes out when they had been parked in. He also helped show us how to lock the handle bars properly.

The rooms were always clean and the bed was comfortable. We had one room with a roll away bed which was of very good standard and not as I had expected.

The breakfast was very good (remember this is a three star hotel). Disappointed to see other guests take heaps of the popular items (eg croissants) and then only eat half. It was funny to see the staff only put out two or three at a time after this happened a few times.

There were a few mosquitoes in our room so I went on the hunt for one of those tennis racket style mosquito zappers. I couldn’t find one and asked the reception staff where I could purchase one. They told me some directions to a shop which seemed complicated, but then said they would happily purchase for me (I paid of course). Best $4 ever spent as my hubbie had so much fun with it.

Importantly at the front of the hotel there is a fruit stall during the day and in the evening a pancake stall. It is a 5 minute or less walk to the beach (poster who said 10 minutes must have been crawling). Hotel is next to a soi with heaps of restaurants in it, but a good 10 minute walk to the ‘girlie bar area’.

I rated this hotel as excellent due to price, location and rooms. Sure it isn't 5 star but considering everything it is excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mililani, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had a great stay in December 2011. The hotel is in a great location but a little far from the bars if that is what you want. The staff was very friendly and attentive. They kept good track of who was in the hotel and who wasn't... So security was good. The rooms were well appointed, clean, and comfortable. Only negative was no free wifi. I don't go to Thailand to stay on the Internet but these days it is hard to go the entire week without it.

• Stayed December 2011
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in my spacious room in Kata, Phuket, however a few things could have made my stay more enjoyable and somewhat special.

The room was a lovely large and airy space with two massive beds, a great ensuite wet room with a really fabulous high pressure shower and a nice deep bath. The view from my french windows was awful, facing a wall of wooden fencing, and the aforesaid windows didn't have a lock, nor did they fully close... I don't think the gap was wide enough to let in the mozzies but there were a few present none the less.

Arrival and check in was smooth, friendly staff, nice water provided in the room and the minibar was satisfactory.

You receive breakfast vouchers when you check in - keep these as they only give one set! The breakfast choice was really great and all (apart from the sausages) was delicious. Nice and quiet at 7:30 AM.

The only negatives would be that two mornings out of the three I stayed there, there was no hot water early in the morning for my shower... on the second occasion that this happened I called and within 20 minutes I had a nice hot shower. Also on room cleanliness, my sink hadn't been cleaned properly and the beds weren't made up very well. Water was always replenished accurately.

The beach was a 5-10 minute walk away, plenty of stores and restaurants in the vicinity, quiet at night and overall a great location. I think I might well stay again, but I would look around for different accommodation first - perhaps a room with a view!

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Gorokan, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My stay at Kata poolside hotel was very pleasant. Staff are very helpful and terrific. The room is spacious, always clean and quite. The beach is only a 5min. walk from the hotel. The hotel's restaurant also have delicious food and the staff are very friendly. I will surely recommend the hotel to my friends who want to go to thailand. And i will surely go back there again. Well done Kata poolside staff. Thank you so much.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Downtovn Taastrup
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We booked this hotel on booking.com as the first leg of our 2 week vacation in Phuket.
We got the airplane ticket at a very low price: 3000 dkk a piece so we decided to book the hotel ourselves.
We landed in Phuket airport at 9:30 am and went to the taxi meter stand outside the airport and an hour later and 600 baht we were in Kata beach.
The hotel is perfectly situated just 2 min from the beach and neighbor to the dining street of Kata.
The hotel consist of two building with a lovely pool in the middle.
The staff er friendly especially the girl at the pool bar.
We enjoyed our stay and would go back

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Porvoo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Check in and out was relatively smooth but with no particular effort to try and make you feel welcome or to raise a desire to return. The room was very dark and dull. The view from the balcony was to the back lawn where apparently construction work was ongoing. You really did not feel like staying in the room/balcony for any longer than necessary. The location of the hotel is ok - it is close to the Kata beach and there are also plenty of restaurants around. Breakfast was ok - but nothing to write home about espeacially. Some refurbishment should do nicely for this facility.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Kata Poolside Resort.

Stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed the good service and friendly staff.

The pool is big with different areas and very clean water - very good pool area!

The rooms are big and have a spacious feel to them – though they are a little dark, each room has a balcony – though some are fairly dark and do not have any view other that the buildings and the small side garden..
I would recommend upgrading / ordering a room at the ends of the blocks as these have a nice balcony view outlook and more light with bigger windows.

The breakfasts at Kata Poolside resort are very good – served in the restaurant street side- the area is bright and open, The staff greet all diners with a big smile and good morning;-).

The cooked food is good – the Thai food being of a very high standard – with Pad Thai, chicken fried rice, mixed fresh vegetables and the usual sausages – bacon – ham.

The fresh fruit is plentiful and ripe, the breads are nice – with Good quality jams.
My son settle on a plate of their small pancakes and honey each morning.
Coffee is okay.

The hotel rooms are bigger than usual and provide plenty of space for bags, with a couch and an area to relax:
The bathrooms are nice - big and clean.

On the downside -
There are no DVD players in the rooms
The paid WiFi is a pain - with difficult procedures for disconnection and at US$3 hour.

- I will return here as overall it was a great place to stay - close to the beach and quiet.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of each block have bigger windows and decent views - some look out over the poo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family