I had a perfect, restful 2-week holiday in this beautiful hotel in December 2013. The location is magnificent, and the views from the hotel are stunning, overlooking Kata beach and the bay, with nothing but 100 yards of lush jungle between the hotel and the beach.
The views from my room and balcony were truly beautiful.
The service was excellent, especially at the restaurant and the management, but housekeeping too. I had occasion to ask for maintenance twice and both times they arrived within 2 minutes and were very helpful. The reception desk staff do not all speak English well enough for effective communication on all occasions (you are of course in Thailand!) and if you have an issue with that my suggestion is that you gently persist till they find someone who does - there are enough who do. In the Thai way, they try their very best to be helpful and to please. You should be aware, though, that you will get the best responses from Thais generally if you remain friendly and non-confrontational. It's worth trying to get into the Thai mindset as the Thais' best is second to none.
The design of the complex is appealing, unusual and striking but fitting in its beautiful setting, up high on a jungle-covered promontory. The on-line photos give a fair representation of the hotel and its facilities and views though I would say the architecture and views are even better in reality - you have to be there! The suites are very spacious and beautifully designed and are well furnished and fitted. There are lots of small flights of a few steps around the hotel complex, a pleasant aspect of the architecture. I mention it only as the hotel may not be a good choice if you are infirm, though the management may be able to find you a suitable room in advance - they are helpful and keen to find ways to assist with any requests. There is a lift to the restaurant from reception. But if you cannot manage a modest climb you will miss out in other ways here.
Kata beach is beautiful, does not suffer from overdevelopment, and is edged by trees. I'd recommend a walk to Kata Noi beach, smaller and even more upmarket; the rustic beach bar/restaurant at the south end has amazing views, serves wonderful light Thai meals and drinks and is absurdly cheap.
The car hire from the hotel was convenient, fair value and the car fine.
A few comments on issues mentioned in other reviews:
Public jungle path to beach: about 20 rough steps, then a 100 yards messy roadway. Then to get onto the beach itself, you scramble over a few boulders, and ford a little watercourse, which is 2 or 3 paces wide and a foot or two deep and not 100% clean. If you require to live like a princess or are infirm, this won't be right for you. Otherwise it's a bit of fun and local colour.
Road to town/beach: about 500 yards and it does have a steep stretch about 200 yards long, say 1 in 4. No problem again for most people - even if you are unfit, just take it slowly and it will still take only a few minutes. The upside is the majestic position of the Aspasia looking down on the beach over the jungle.
Connecting doors: I wanted peace and quiet and was concerned about some comments about noise through connecting doors. I put this to the management before booking and they gave me a suite in the new block - Accenta - which had no such doors and was lovely.
Beds: I gather all Thai beds are firm. I need a soft one and the hotel tried their best to give me one, including duvets under the bottom sheet, which doesn't really work and I found my own solution. If you need a soft bed, you may need to find your own solution in Thailand. The management did tell me they may look into what more they can do in this regard so it may be worth asking them before you book.
Smell of drains: I did notice the occasional whiff, but only when I was at the Accenta pool, never from my 2nd floor room or balcony or anywhere else in the complex. I suspect this may be outside the management's control and I did not find it a real problem.
Restaurant: I do not understand negative reviews. The service was excellent. The breakfasts were superb. There was a wide selection, including a variety of breakfasts cooked to order and beautiful local fruit and much more besides. For lunch/dinner I ate solely the Asian/Thai food on the menu, which was generally good and sometimes superb, especially the fish dishes. There are many western-style options on the menu, but why go to Thailand and eat hamburgers?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently created in the south of the island of Phuket, The Aspasia is a stylish boutique resort reflecting an unusual retro-deco design with hints of Mayan style architecture. The muted yellow and green hues of the buildings blend exotically with the colours of the lush forest that sweeps down to Kata Beach. Each secluded apartment has stunning sea views, and guests only have a two minute walk to the white, sandy beach below.With the accent firmly lying on tranquility, comfort and contemporary style, The Aspasia Phuket offers a choice of superior accommodation and facilities that includes restaurant, a wine and cigar shop, two swimming pools, a gymnasium, business centre, meeting room, high-speed wireless Internet access and spa. Original paintings and antiques are displayed in the spa, restaurant and lobby, complementing the style of decor. There is easy access between the twelve buildings and facilities forming the resort. The property is set amongst beautifully landscaped gardens, filled with colourful tropical planting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Aspasia Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Aspasia Phuket Hotel Kata Beach
- Aspasia Phuket Kata
- Aspasia Phuket Hotel Kata
- The Aspasia Phuket Kata Beach