“From good to great” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 211 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
“From good to great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Upon arrival in Aspasia it seemed fine, greeted with an excellent view and friednly staff. I enquired about WiFi and was told it was only available in the hotel lobby, I explained I really needed it to do work remotely whilst on holiday, they promised to install it......I was fairly convinced it would never materialise but true enough, within a few hours a technician knocked on the door - he had installed WiFi in our corridor and sure enough it worked, so, impressed with the service. The surprises continued when we dined in the hotel: the red snapper panang I ate at Aspasia is one of the tastiest things I had in my entire holiday. The breakfast is superb, and whilst I was trying to avoid any western food for the duration of my holiday, the eggs benedict for breakfast was incredible!
The view from the hillside location is great but this inevitably means a walk to the beach (5-10 minutes "offroad"). This wasnt a problem for us, I really didnt mind, but I am sure some guests would not like this detail. To be fair to the hotel, they do not hide this fact and if you do your research about where you're staying you have no cause for complaint about this fact.
Our room was massive, I'd estimate approx 60 square metres, which is excellent value for the price we paid.
So from initial impressions of being just ok I left feeling that it was great, lots of pleasant surprises.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
C.I.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Every year we stay on Phuket for a relaxing break of about 4 weeks, we choose a different hotel and location, but I think The Aspasia has taken our hearts!
We loved the location, not too far from the hustle and bustle of Kata and the beach, but oh so quiet. We had a large suite overlooking the sea in the distance where we sat in the morning drinking tea and reading the newspapers online, listening to the birds not the traffic, bliss.
The reception staff were always happy and greeted us every morning on our way to breakfast with much enthusiasm. As with anything in Thailand it's best to double check your requests have been met, we ordered a taxi for the airport 2 days before departure, when we checked the day before leaving no one knew about it. So always make sure or book one yourself!
Breakfast was good, the Thai chef cooks to order, again double check with her what you've ordered and be prepared its not always correct, persevere and you will get your choice. Hot tea very weak, but just ask and they will put extra tea in the pot.
Our suite was so huge we lost each other on occasion. Massive double bed which was really comfortable, air con that worked and wasn't noisy, rain shower and jacuzzi. I agree with others about the partitioning doors, we could hear the guests next door loud and clear!! So I'm sure they could hear us!
Yes Aspasia I can honestly say we'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Aspasia for three weeks. Long, but we didn't want to move around and wanted one resort-like hotel in a nice location. The Aspasia is actually in a great location, although you have to really search for good rates and common sense dictates that you book well enough in advance to guarantee room and rates.

The resort has a pathway to Kata Beach, which is great - depending on the tide. At high tide, you need to go to the beach via the road because the pathway actually leads to a tiny inlet where fishing boats dock (in a 3rd world way). It's not that much longer. I wouldn't wade through that water to get to the beach, but have no problem walking over it at low tide. Either way, it's a quick trip to the beach, which is stunningly beautiful. When you get to the beach, look back at the hotel to realize how great your choice was!

The resort itself has a really tropical and secluded feel, which I appreciate with thousands of other tourists out and about and hundreds of bungalows, motels, hotels or what-have-you that are more for quicker/cheaper stays. While we're not rich, I was able to find rates within our budget, which included breakfast. You can see the resort from as far away as Kata Viewpoint...the resort seems to blend into the surrounding jungle area, but is still quite recognizable.

Breakfast was great! When its included into hotel rates, you really cannot complain about a buffet style breakfast that had plenty of fruits, sandwich items, breads, pastries, cereals, juices, and two fantastic ladies who cook egg dishes from a nice menu. I think the bacon and stuff was pre-cooked or at least was ready before we came down as they had to reheat in the microwave, but like I said... I had no reason to complain. The staff was friendly and brought you coffee, tea or your eggs when they were done and the food was quite enjoyable. What more could you ask for?!

The main pool area and gym were fantastic, with gorgeous architecture and beautiful scenery. Happy hour by the top or bottom pools were great relaxation times.

Each area seems to have its own balcony on top of the building. Ours included a miniature pool/spa that wasn't operational, but we still enjoyed the view and sun from up top of our room. Our balcony also had a fantastic view.

The staff was very nice, polite and ensured we were taken care of if we needed something. Language was a little difficult at times, but that's because I don't speak Thai... ;-)

If I had any complaints (with solutions of course), it would be to add dead bolts to the front door and a sliding door lock to the balcony door. Also, add that rubber insulation to the edges of the front door to save on A/C costs and to cool the room down better. Otherwise, nothing negative to really add or comment on.

Overall, a great resort and highly recommended if you can find better rates.

-James

Room Tip: I personally never choose a room on the ground floor. We chose one with a garden view not on ground...
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for long period and have to say, the staff were wonderful and the pools are great. The gym has very good equipment unless you are a heavy eight man. I use the gym every day. The restaurant is ridiculously expensive and even more so compared to Thailand prices, this is obviously why it is empty every night. Not a problem though, as within 10minutes walk are many, many Thai and international restaurants at comfy Thai prices. The best thing about this hotel is you can walk to the beach, and from your hotel you can hear the sound of the surf. I have stayed here twice and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely get the rooms with balconies, for privacy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Pros: Nice view off Kata beach, large rooms (studio or apartment), has kitchen

Cons: on high hill, reception need to be more welcoming.

The hotel is on top of a hill the north end of Kata beach.    It takes 6-8 minutes to the beach going down hill and going up hill back to the hotel.
The disk reception staff at check in was not that welcoming as in other Thai hotels. They did not smile and too much formal as if checking with passports officers.
The rooms I booked was sea view for about 5000bht which is more expensive than the garden view one by 1000bht. I have been offered at first a room with sea view but the sea blocked by trees. It has been changed after requesting a better sea view and moved to a better room at a higher floor. Of course that's waste of time. The room is large one bedroom apartment has tiles with no carpet. The room is clean and well maintained. The balcony is large with nice view of Kata beach.   The whole hotel is nice Thai style hotel. I have not used the swimming pool because I opt to spend most the time on the beach. The beach has clean sand and many sun umbrellas to rent for 100bht, of course it is more expensive than Pattaya which is for only 60bht. In general everything is more expensive in Phuket than Pattaya. Massage for example in Phuket 300bht in Pattaya 100bht.
Karon beach is just 20 min walk from the hotel. Many shops restaurants, massage shops, and bars are of walking distance from the hotel.
The breakfast is above average. It is nice but cannot be compared to 5 star hotels in thailand such as the Marriott, Renaissance, Hilton or the Sheraton. The staff in the breakfast are nice and friendly and have excellent service.
No WiFi in the room, I have been told it is free in the reception area.
All in all it is nice 4 star hotel which I rate as 7 out of 10. I would go another hotel next time coming to Kata or Karon beach not because the hotel is bad but I like to try other hotels which I am sure will be better than this hotel.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have better view of the sea
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were amazed at how huge our room was and loved the sheer space and open plan nature of the accommodation. The room was clean and had all the necessary amenities, including a view over the beach. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We went on a beach tour on our final day, having already checked out, and when we returned to collect our luggage, they offered us a spare room so we could take a shower. Really impressive service, would recommend!

Room Tip: Try and get one on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is in fact a series of individual apartments overlooking the ocean. The apartments vary in size and location, within the property, but the smallest is very large and very nicely presented. There are all the facilities one would expect for a 5* property.
The food is excellent, varied and beautifully presented. Not expensive. The outlook from the dining area is spectacular.
There are a number of pools together with upmarket sun loungers and pool boys to look after you every wish, if you feel lazy. For those who are able to stagger in from the sun to the Spa they will find some young ladies waiting to give a very relaxing and rejuvenating massage. This is an upmarket offering and you will be pampered.
The General Manager (actually the Managing Director) is a jovial chap called Mike and is always available if there is a problem. He runs a very efficient operation in a low key sort of way and can be seen daily chatting to guests and generally being available. Very reassuring.

Room Tip: Ask for one with sea view. It may not be the cheapest but it will be spectacular.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Aspasia Phuket? Share your experiences!