“Great Family Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

You added Katathani Phuket Beach Resort to your Saves list
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   14 Kata Noi Rd | Kata Beach, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
B.C. Canada
“Great Family Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

Our family of 4 stayed at the Katathani for 8 days in March 2006. We liked it very much. There are five huge pools, which were mostly empty, as the other guests were couples or left children at home. While the hotel staff spoke English, the guests did not (at least while we were there). So there weren't alot of other kids for our kids to play with. That was okay though, as they get along quite well. The room was in the new Bhuri wing, and was very new and did have a view which was a nice surprise. The reservation was so easy and well organized and the staff were very professional. There was a kids club there which our children attended for an hour. The staff kind of hovered over them though, which made them a little uncomfortable. Plus it's nice to have activities organized around the pool, which is where the kids want to be. The beach was postcard perfect although we spent most of our down time by the lovely pools, which were salt water or low chlorine and very clean. Staff replaced our beach towels each evening and replaced our robes as well. A leaf did not hit the ground without someone sweeping it up. Our only complaint was the food. The meal plan came with the room and it was quite generous ($25 each for lunch and dinner or buffets) but if you like food with any flavour, forget it. My husband ordered a seven course meal at the "Thai" restaurant and ate two bites. We found that alot in Thailand as a whole. No heat in the food so we must have been in the wrong places. If you go there don't take the meal plan. The hotel was a bit expensive but is one of the few places that is right on the beach. It looks exactly like the photos on their website. My husband won't stay there again because it is too far from the action. I liked it because it was lovely and quiet in the evenings. Kata Beach Resort was recommended to us also by a local for being more reasonable and exciting. The entertainment staff at Katathani would change out of their "Little Mermaid" or ballet costumes (men included) and rush down to the bar for fire dancing or frog races. It was cute, but a bit cheesy. Overall I'm glad we stayed there (we also had fun people- watching at the buffet where cultural differences are very interesting) mostly because of the amazing pools. Kids will love it, love it, love it. If you like to bake in the sun as most of the other guests seemed to, it's the place to be. If you like to explore, maybe not. If you are really lucky, you will get in touch with someone like Richard at Phuket Diving (I found him on this site) and he will guide you, both over the net and in person. He expected very little in return, and our experience would have been completely different (and not as good) without he and his wife, Megumi. So, for families, I think the Katathani is a good bet. I know that if I'd stayed somewhere else and then seen those gorgeous pools and beach, I would be writing in to say I'd wished I'd stayed at the Katathani!

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Spent 5 nights in a Junior Suite with ocean views in March 06. This hotel has a superb location, occupying virtually the whole beach at Kata Noi - a perfect sweep of white sands and azure sea that offers great swimming and snorknelling. Having travelled around Phuket during our stay I think Kata was the best place to have lodged - perfect mix of nightlife and stunning, peaceful scenery during the day. The hotel's pools were also superb, nicely scupltured and roomy enough to occupy the hotel's many guests.

But there were some really disapointing things about this hotel:

1. Decor in the Ocean-facing wing was tired - the corridors between rooms had all the charm of a multi-storey carpark. By contrast, the newly re-furbished Bhuri wing, although set back from the beach, was far more stylish.
2. Hotel restaurants - really poor, serving expensive, mass produced food. We made the mistake of eating in the main restaurant on the first night where we were promised an international BBQ - I thought we'd get freshly prepared food, grilled to order - instead we were greeted with platters of insipid, uninspiring food that had been been sitting around for hours. Then the entertainment started. Describing the 'caberet' as one step removed from Butlins is too kind - it was completely naff and totally dominated the whole restaurant. We found the beachfront Fisherman's Wharf no better than mediocre, only Cinnamon offered decent nosh - but when the heavens opened the roof leaked so badly all diners had to leave their seats and retreat to the centre of the restaurant. Breakfast, although offering a wide selection of foods, felt like a free for all in a noisy school canteen.
3. The service was the least good we experienced in Thailand, the staff just seemed uninterested - we really objected to being asked to wait at check out while Housekeeping frisked our room. How many other 5* establishments would expect its guests to do this? As others have also commented, it was disappointing to have to pay for use of beach loungers.

To sum up, the Kata Thani just lacks wow factor and sophistication. It's truly average, saved only by the incredible beach it sits on and proximity to other bars and restaurants (if you're happy to do a short cab ride). Disappointing really.

San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

Never in my life had I felt entirely on vacation.

After working for over a year (I'm a waitress) I was in dire need of a vacation. I met up with some friends in Bangkok and we headed to Phuket where the hotel's driver picked us up. (Be aware that there is a pick-up and drop-off charge.) The driver was very nice and couteous. We found out that everything is spread out on the island and that it would take a travel time of 45 minutes to 1 hour to go anywhere, so we prepared ourselves.
Upon arriving the reception prepared our rooms while we went to concierge to find out what to do. The concierge (from Swizerland) recommended the Phi Phi Islands (which was by the way FABULOUS!), and we quickly went to our rooms to change into our bathing suits once we saw the totally beautiful swimming pools. I had read from trip advisor ahead of time that we would have to pay for seats on the beach (US$1), so we made sure to bring it. But at other times we just lounged on the chairs next to the beach was even better because we got the shade from the many palm trees.

Beach and Pool-
The swimming pools are excellent! Kids have there own area so if you're annoyed just move to another. The beach is very beautiful, just remember to rbing US$1 for a chair.

Massage-
You can go to the spa for US$30 or get an hour massage for US$10 around the pool from the staff (very recommended! I did both) The poolside massage was much better and cheaper!

breakfast-
Breakfast is free, tasty and varied. I spent 3 hours there just slowly eating, and waiting for my friends to wake up. It has a great view to read the paper, and enjoy a cup of tea. One day I had dim dum, the next fresh omelettes, and then Pad Thai noodles.

Nightlife-
Not the party scene (thank goodness! I did not need to see drunk people and prostitues.) But patong ( the party area) is nearby ( I think the hotel provides a free shuttle service there). Instead I enjoy the casual drink scene at the Beach Club. It's pretty mellow, but still lots of people there and I totally enjoyed the ocean breeze while having a Kata Sunset.

The room-
I stayed at the Ocean View Suite. it was huge and beautiful! I woke up every morning to the beautiful sunrise. The hotel even provides beach towels and beach bags (which I brought to the Phi Phi Islands with me). There are fresh flowers and fruits every day! The room is very clean, and the bathroom was awsome. My friend's room were also the same. The thing I loved was how they give you two firm and two soft pillow for you to choose from. The bed is firm and I found out that if you fill out the survey on the nightstand asking about the softness/firmness of the bed they will change it to meet your requirements.

I read the other reviews since I last checked before going to Katathani and I would have to say they were very unfair. Complaining about something the hotel can do nothing about is wrong. Who stays at a hotel is not the hotel's choice. Complaining about the staff's English is also wrong! I did not find this a problem, but I think it's rude to expect natives to be fluent in another language. I foudn the staff to always be knowledgable, and they couldn't stop saying hello everytime you pass one. Even the gardner would greet me when I walked out the door.

This place was absolutely great! I totally needed the relaxation Katathani provided me. If you need to be busy and see lots of people milling around this is not for you. This place is for RELAXATION only! The place is very big (look at the map they give you witht he key), go explore it, and utilize everything! They have a Thai cooking class that I keep missing due to trips, but it was something I really wanted to do. Also I wanted to learn Batik painting.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

Beware! Our vacation was ruined at this hotel. Some major travel websites still describe all rooms as “ocean-front suites”, even though several room categories are offered. But – and it is a huge ‘but’ – only the original Katathani rooms fit this description. Having taken over the hotel behind and to the side last year, the Katathani is now called the 5-star “Katathani Beach Phuket Resort”. ‘Superior’ and ‘Family Superior’ rooms are all in the back part. Superior are at best 4 star and surround a pool. Family rooms are like a basic, noisy 3-star motel with half having views on to the back of houses. Having doubled in size and made the facilities open to everyone, the hotel now has huge problems. What other 5-star beach hotel has no turn-down service and no change of bath towels in the evening? What other 5-star hotel anywhere in Thailand serves sickly sweet processed juice at breakfast and instead of fresh Thai orange juice? When I discovered it continues to give out two separate brochures (making a mockery of their alleged rebranding under one name), I asked twice to to see the Marketing Manager and was advised it would be arranged. 40 hours later I was told she was not in Thailand! I had two meetings with the aloof GM to voice my extreme dissatisfaction. I was shocked when he told me there had been similar complaints from returning guests – but said it was my fault as I should have checked the hotel’s own website(!) I turned down the dinner he offered. Yes, the beach is lovely, but it is a public beach and unlike other beach hotels we have visited, the Katathani has made no arrangements to have its own hotel section. So you have to carry cash to pay for the beach chairs. There are many delightful 5-star properties in Phuket. Sadly the Katathani is not one of them.

Birmingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2006

Recently returned from 5 nights at the Katathani. Just read 2 bad reports and have to disagree! We loved it. We have stayed in lots of international hotels and found some of its quirks charming when compared to some soleless resorts. We also found the staff helpful. My only criticism is the pool area - not enough loungers for the number of guests. However the beautiful beach was an excellent alternative and very cheap to hire beds. The locals need to make a living and it is a public beach. Try the great massage on the beach - its only £5 for an hour. We had a ground floor room initially and were moved on day 2 as we always prefer a view. Since the tsunami it seems that most tourists now want to be on higher floors, so they cannot satisfy everyone. We found great cheap local restaurants 10 mins walk over the hill (you get used to it). There is also a small supermarket right opposite to stock up on drinks etc very cheaply. If you want to party every night this is not the place to be but it's only 20 mins to Patong. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2006
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

Just returned from beautiful Phuket last evening. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for 3 days and then the Katathani for 5 days.
As you will see, my review on this propery is not quite as favourable as the other most recent reviews.
Again, what fits for one, obviously doesnt for another. If you are a seasoned traveller to Phuket, looking to sit by a beach/pool and not move around much...then consider this property. We are in our 40's with teenagers. Just so you know where we are in the demographics.
If I had of been more keenly aware of some of the things that I,m going to mention it would have made a difference in my choice of where to stay.
The grounds, pools etc are lovely. The beach is beautiful, however, it is not long...so no walks. Also, I thought it was in bad taste that you were charged to use the loungers on the beach. My teenagers were constantly harassed to pay for chairs, the all day rate, even if they went down at 4oclock. They bill themselves as a beach front property, for which you are paying extra, therefore the Katathani should absorb this cost.
I was really unimpressed with the rooms....very uninviting, dark decorating, old appliances. Not a thing modern about these rooms. Given the 4? star rating and the price, I was expecting more.
4000 baht for a buffet dinner for 4 at the Katathani? This price is simply taking advantage of their guests.....go into Kata, Karon, Patong and have a nice meal for 4 persons. We had steak, pasta etc for 1600 bhat/4 people.
Make no mistake this property is extremely private. There is nothing around it. No restaurants no shopping...it virtually shuts down at 9oclock.
Should I visit Phuket again, without hesitation, I would stay in Patong Beach. It has the best of both worlds. If you want shopping, restaurants etc, all you have to do is leave the resort (I vote for the Holiday Inn). While your on the property you feel like your a million miles away from the hustle and bustle on the street.
My 11 year old son was with us in Patong and their was nothing inappropriate for him to see. Yes, we were even on Bangla Rd. Nothing!! If your looking for that you go in the establishments....its not visible walking down the street.
I hope that some of this information is helpful to others and thank the other members for the invaluable information they provided me with. I could not have done it without this forum.

Gold Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

This resort was was stop N05 in our three week holiday in Thailand to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. By far it was the biggest disapointment of the whole trip. Thankfully we were only there three nights, that was more than enough.
Let's start we some nice things. Yes this resort is in a beautiful spot. The beach is lovely (though there was no warning that we had to pay to sit on the deck chairs, a little note in the room would have saved us some embarassment). The gardens are nice. I am sorry but it takes a little more than a nice beach to impress someone who lives in a country that has some of the best beaches/coastlines in the world. This is a very large, impersonal hotel. We could have been anywhere in the world, I personally felt that we were missing out on the Thai experience here. We had stayed at many beautiful resorts before.
We were unhappy with our room the minute we opened the door, we had booked a junior suite at the cost AUD $275.00 per night. This room was frankly average. Not worth the dollars by a long shot. After four requests to get a room off the ground floor (as per reservation request, I know they can not always accomodate requests) we were told that "no one asked to be changed from the Ocean View wing, the guests from the other wing (I think it was called Buri) want to change to the block of rooms we were in to escape the traffic noise". We resigned ourselves then to the noise of the scraping furniture and the people walking past our door. Sounds picky but this three night stay was to be our big treat of the trip, we were disappointed.
Once we resigned ourselves to that fact I tried to enjoy myself. Frankly we did not fit in here. Maybe in 20yrs time we will. I am not sure if it was just the time we were there, but this resort seems to be popular with the over 60yr old set. That age group was by far the majority, also mainly German speaking guests (yes there were other nationalities there)who we found to be rude. Yes they will have all the chairs around the pool very early.But you can get the sunlounges on the grass if you don't mind moving a few times to accomodate the constant mowing schedule. Another thing that put us off was the number of aging, mostly over weight women, who walked around & sunbathed topless despite the request in each room that the Thai people find it offensive. Guess what a lot of other people find it offensive as well. There was even one elderly women who was about 70ish, who not only went topless but paraded in a G-String. YUK. I know that it is impossible for the hotel do anything about this, but I am trying to give you some insight in the atmosphere of the resort.
The food was generally of good quality (yes very pricey, even by Australian standards)except for the seafood restaurant. After our meal here I was ill most of the night and all the next day. I had mentioned to my husband that I didn't think the meat on display at the front of the restaurant was hygenic. It was not even on ice like you see in the other seafood restaurants around Thailand. The atmosphere was lovely but if you eat here I'd check where the meat was from first.
Now I will get to what I thought was the real problem at Katathani. The Staff.What a bunch of cold fish, especially those at the reception. This is the only hotel out of the nine we stayed in, where I could say that. I can only think that it is a management directive not to engage the guests, as every where else we loved the staff. The final insult was when we were checking out. This was the only hotel that sat me down to wait while they 'frisked' the room, and check I was not lying about the mini bar.While the other hotels may have done this, it was very discreet and I was not made aware of it. After 10mins of embarasing silence of her sitting silently looking back at me she gets the call. Wait there is a calico beach bag missing (worth about $1.00 if that)where is it? I felt as if I was being interegated (you had to be there). I explained that since I had been very ill the previous day (after eating at their restaurant)I had got my husband to pack and was unware of where it was. Obviously the $1000.00+ we had spent over the previous 3 days didn't cover a calico bag. Thankfully our pickup turned up at that point because I was not happy and didn't want to say what I really thought.
I know that a lot of people have enjoyed staying here, each to their own. I wouldn't recommend it. There are so many great places to stay. We won't be back.

Been to Katathani Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!