My wife and I spent 3 days at Katathani in 1st week of August and this is the low season for Phuket as it is rainy and the seas are rough.
We were slotted for the smaller wing. There are 2 wings at this massive resort. Bhuri and Thani. I forget what the name of the wing we had our room in. It was the smaller wing.
The property externally is well maintained. Friendly staff, expecially the security guards and the staff who do duty externally. I can't say much for the reception desk staff.
Its been maybe like 3 years since I returned to Phuket, and I am taken by surprise that front desk smiles are gone and in place of that.. 2 very grouchy front desk staff manning reception check in and check out. Perhaps it was the stress of a troupe of loud, and noisy mainland china tourists who came by the bus loads during my 4D3N stay there. But there should be no easy for a grouchy staff that extends their mood to other paying guests (especially couples).
We would be in the lobby daily as we waited for friends or taxi or for the rain to stop, and yet we can see the consistent sullen behavior. I overhead a german guest asking for a check out bill explanation, and a male staff replying in a not so polite manner. The female staff were the same attitude. On our 1st day check in, we were told to wait as the rooms were not ready. I was totally accepting that and was told that it will be ready by 2pm.
Whilst sitting there sorting out the usual checkin process, the female staff next to me was arguing loudly with a guest on differing bill charges etc... the mood was getting a tad ugly and no doubt bore the tone for the entire reception and lobby for the day.
We went out to explore the rest of the property since we had no rooms and had lunch.
We decided to take things slow and returned to the lobby at 2pm. As we approached the desk, we were 'mistaken' for another CHINA tourist. The looks given to me and my wife were sullen, until we spoke. They realized we were not from China. Even then, we were gruffly told our room was not ready and they gave us a look as in why the hell are you asking me if the room is ready when we told you it will be ready at 2pm. I looked at my watch and it said 215pm local Thailand time.
Since it was a our 1st day and barely 4 hours upon touching down in Phuket, we didnt want to spoil our mood and sauntered off the nearby lounge to have coffee. It was only until like 330pm and I HAD TO GO BACK TO THE Reception to check if our room was ready(despite the fact that I told the reception staff that we were just at the lounge next door and they acknowledge that they will look for us and call us).
We had a room on the ground level. The room was neat and tidy, but it was old. We knew it was old, because the aircon does not work at night when we are sleeping. It was not blowing cold air, but just air, making it difficult to have a good nights sleep.
My rating would have been Very Good, if not for the attitude of the front desk staff and the poor room quality.
I advise you find some where else, because this property needs a major refurbishment in the rooms. It looks dated and aircon not working.
Otherwise, external property facilities are good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resting along 850 meters of unspoiled white sandy beach, embraced by lush green hills and sparkling blue ocean, Katathani Phuket Beach Resort recalls a tropical dream. Warm sands, the soft rhythm of lapping waves, and gently swaying coconut palms relax your senses—while our six swimming pools, six restaurants, and full-service spa delight them. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Splendia, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Katathani Phuket Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Katathani Phuket Beach Hotel Kata Beach
- Katathani Phuket Beach Kata
- Katathani Beach Resort
- Katathani Phuket Beach Resort Kata Beach