“Loosing its touch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

You added Katathani Phuket Beach Resort to your Saves list
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   14 Kata Noi Rd | Kata Beach, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Loosing its touch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Before i start writing the review - The Half of Thani wing is under RENOVATION and u can't use part of the garden due to renovation noise and they have removed sun decks and one of the pool and one of the bar is closed. So I am slightly surprised as why they have not updated this info on the website as you would expect from a respectable resort like Kata Thani (KT). So before booking please check the status with the Management.

Now the review....... Just back from 4 days vacation from Phuket. We had selected KT as we were well versed with the resort (this was our 3rd stay) and we love the awesome beach front. First.... the property is incredible.......the garden, pool, bar by the pool and the brllnt beach with its powdery sands. Also service, in general, excellent and cost of beer by pool is probably the cheapest ...around 50 baht ++. We had booked Bhuri wing deluxe room which has good landscape and a decent pool. BUt the overall feel and comparison between 2 wing....believe me Bhuri wing and Thani wing feel like 2 different resorts with Thani being 5 star and Bhuri 3 star. Thani has far more space and pool and much better feel and quality.

Thus when we reached and checked in Bhuri, we were slightly disappointed as over last few years they have completely re done the rooms and the bathroom area is a joke now. U really won't be able to stretch ur hand in the fibre glass shower room and it has no tubs. ThE room interiors are really average and so is the flooring. The bathroom area reminds me of temporary make over wash rooms which we find in construction sites. I remember staying in Bhuri wing around 6 years back...it was good that time.

So Post our experience with the very average room in Bhuri wing - we went to see junior suites at Thani wing....great feel but half the place under renovation. So we opted to continue to stay in Bhuri wing. But whenever I visit again I will make sure that I only stay in Thani wing and it's worth payin 35% extra for that. But well no complains.....since the room was not very welcoming we stayed most of the time outdoors....we had fun.

The Surrounding area has few good restaurants but in general the food in KT is good.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Noida, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We visited this hotel in the monsoons.. the view from our room was of the sea, pool and the garden combined. The rooms were impeccebly maintained and were super spacious.

The Food was delicious and the staff was exceptionally courteous, Our onward transportation got delayed and the staff of the hotel were more than happy to accomodate us for a few extra hours. It was indeed a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Fantastic resort. Staff were great, every request was catered for. Kids clubs & baby sitting service was excellent, drinks & lunch by the pool very affordable, as well as massages. Cocktail happy hour great value. Stocking your own fridge is an excellent idea, as u can buy what u want from 7/11 or their mini mart for a fraction of the price. Cannot fault this place. Awesome pools & gardens, good gym & a great breakfast. Will definitely stay here again, highly recommend. Stayed in Buri wing, you can't beat walking out from your room & into the pool.

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I am so pleased I chose this resort to take our 9year old son to,just a fantastic family atmosphere.We stayed for 15 nights in the ocean view room number 2203.I honestly cannot find anything to fault,maybe because I have not been on a holiday for 28years and really appreciated what we got.To everyone looking to go,take no notice of the negatives I am sure they would would find something to complain about in a 7 star resort.So petty.The beach 1st week absolutely beautiful, waves perfect,could see my feet water so clear.Only rained one morning and one night. Breakfast at Chomalay, awesome,so much to choose from,great staff,very clean.When we first arrived my son had a bath but could not get plug out so went to reception and told of problem,by the time we got back it was fixed,we couldn't believe it so efficient.Rooms cleaned to perfection.Pools absolutely beautiful,we had our favourite and my son loved the pool with the slide.Food by the pools were to die for,lots of choices not just one.Drinks cheap and yummy especially happy hour,cheap,cheap,cheap. We had a babysitter for two nights she was lovely.The trips we organised were great everything went smoothly.We met a lovely coupe and their granddaughter,who got on really well with my son.We had our dinners in the restaurants opposite katathani,one night we had 4main dishes,4drinks,5icecreams to put In our bar fridge and it only cost $27 that was at Kmart,very friendly staff.We also had take away pizzas from there to have in our room. The orchid and Ta restaurants were also great and cheap.I thought it was a good idea to have an empty bar fridge so we could fill it with the treats and drinks we like.Beautiful grounds,so well kept they take pride and joy in their gardens.Had to see the doctor at clinic 2days before we left she was great and very helpful and caring.If you want nightlife 24/7 then stay at patong we went there once and that was enough for a lifetime.I would recommend this hotel to anyone and in my opinion I picked the best resort for my family hands down.To all the staff at Katathani you made our longed for holiday most enjoyable and the memories will stay with us forever.THANK YOU.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms quiet with spectacular scenery
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our first visit to Phuket - to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. A collegue recommended Katathani to us, as he is a frequent visitor. It was perfect!! Everything went smoothly, from check-in to departure. The resort is maintained at a very high standard, with manicured gardens and sparkling pools. Even the beach is cleaned every morning. We had an ocean front junior suite, and it was just as lovely as the pictures, and we really enjoyed sitting outside enjoying the view with a morning cuppa. Breakfast was superb, with many choices, so it's easy to have variety each morning if you wish. We tried a couple of the in Resort Restaurants - The Chanadda and Fisherman's Warf, both were excellent. We enjoyed a variety of cocktails during happy hour at the Coconut Beach Bar, which was always a lot of fun. We tried out the spa, I had an aromatherapy massage and a facial, both so relaxing - my husband had the Thai Massage which certainly found the tensions points! Relaxing around the pool is delightful - with a choice of a dip in the ocean if you like. You can also be pampered with a manicure and pedicure while chilling by the pool, then top it off with some lunch and a drink! There are a variety of things to do if you want to, we did the cooking class, and really enjoyed it - I've made the green curry since coming home, and it turned out great! We did a little sightseeing, and the concierge helped us with some bookings. Although the Katathani is a little out of the hustle and bustle of Patong, it is an easy taxi ride in to do some shopping or go to restaurants, and we really enjoyed returning the peace when we wanted to relax. There is free wi-fi in the lobby, or you can purchase extra. It wasn't great - but enough to check emails and FB etc, wouldn't be so good if you had to work, but who wants to do that anyway! The staff were all very happy and friendly and ready to help if required. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit - it was just what we had wanted, thank you Katathani - I really hope we can return one day!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I am really surprised by the six swimming pools. I have never expected the resort is so big. Everything is already in the resort including swimming pool, beach, restaurant with nice atmosphere, sports and several activities. You can stay here for a few days without going to other places. The beach is awesome and clean. My daughter had a best time on the beach. We stayed at Grand suite which comes with Jacuzzi and the room is huge for 3 of us with great view of the sea. I would definitely come back here!

Room Tip: Grand suites are best choice for sea view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying here and I can honestly say I have never come across a more small minded and rip off orientated management in all our years of traveling . This hotel is on a great beach and the general staff work their socks off , I have had a row with the morons in reception every single day over everything from them doubling the cost of flowers for my wife's b'day to having to waste our time chasing simple requests like a power adapter. To top it of half the hotel is a building site . Spend you're hard earned elsewhere .

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Rocco46London,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments about the great beach and commitment of our general staff. Please be informed that during your stay we had a change within our suppliers for flowers that unfortunately also resulted in higher prices. We sincerely apologize for this and the other challenges you apparently had with the reception and will do our best to improve the front desk operation.

Once again thank you for having taken time to bring all the matters to our attention and since you also mentioned upon check-out that overall you have had a pleasant stay, please visit us again whenever you plan your next trip to Phuket.

With warm regards,
Assistant Manager

Been to Katathani Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!