We did enjoy our time in Phuket and were generally happy with the service and the resort. However, one thing really spoiled the holiday somewhat which I would like to share here. We booked the holiday and stay at the resort online and there were two main reasons for us to pick up Katathani. First, our friends had stayed there before and had recommended it and secondly, as we have a 7 year old daughter, we wanted to be spending our family holiday in the convenience and safety of a nice resort with all the amenities and right on the beach.
Only when we arrived at Katathani, we found out that we had to stay at a physically separated wing, the Bhuri Wing, which was not the resort environment we had envisaged and was certainly posing a danger for our 7 year old as she had to cross a relatively busy street to move between the room and the beach. Besides, the many other commercial properties (shops, massage parlours, taxi stands, restaurants, etc.) between the two wings which did not belong to the resort made us very uneasy about letting her "loose" in the safety of a resort.
There was no mention of two separate wings on the travel websites as well as the hotel's own website. The impression given was that all was one enclosed resort with several buildings spread around rather than two clearly and physically separate "facilities" divided by other commercial buildings and a busy road. I must say, it was not the kind of start we had hoped for and it was annoying and misleading that this was not at all clear on the website.
For a facility like the Bhuri Wing, there were many other similar "resorts" on the land side of the road and they did not cost as much. And the little one did not have much freedom to roam around as we were worried about her safety. When we brought our concerns and dissatisfaction to the attention of the hotel management, they offered to upgrade our room to a Deluxe room, but it was again at the Bhuri wing. However, it was not so much a room upgrade that we needed but what I tried to describe above. It would have been a great family holiday and much more relaxing if we could have stayed at a real "resort" as advertised, i.e. the Thani Wing. We were not looking for a cheap holiday, so money was not the main concern and had the internet advertising been clear enough maybe we could have picked up a more suitable arrangement.
And finally the food and drinks at the hotel is generally overpriced compared to the quality and service level. No need to pay double for the drink by the pool which you can get from the little kiosk on the beach in front of the hotel or for the food that you can find for less than half the price on the doorstep of the hotel... and it also tastes better outside the hotel...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resting along 850 meters of unspoiled white sandy beach, embraced by lush green hills and sparkling blue ocean, Katathani Phuket Beach Resort recalls a tropical dream. Warm sands, the soft rhythm of lapping waves, and gently swaying coconut palms relax your senses—while our six swimming pools, six restaurants, and full-service spa delight them. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, AsiaRooms, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Katathani Phuket Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Katathani Phuket Beach Hotel Kata Beach
- Katathani Phuket Beach Kata
- Katathani Beach Resort
- Katathani Phuket Beach Resort Kata Beach