“Sublime Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mom Tri's Villa Royale

Save Saved
You added Mom Tri's Villa Royale to your Saves list
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Kata Noi Road | Kata Noi Beach, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Special Offer
summer package
Ranked #3 of 49 hotels in Kata Beach
San Francisco Bay Area
“Sublime Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at Mom Tri’s Villa Royale for ten glorious days, returning home last weekend. I should start by saying that I’m a long time Trip Advisor reader, and rarely post. It’s time for me to start contributing more, and this is just the property to get me off the fence. The entire experience at this property is so sublime and relaxing it’s difficult to convey with mere words. From the punctual and professional pick up at the airport to the moment you check out, one feels welcomed by all.

Mom Tri’s has that rare combination of raw beauty combined with some of the nicest, caring and friendly employees I have ever experienced in my travels. Everyone at the property greets guests and one another with a warm smile and is always at the ready to assist with anything. I consistently marveled at the patience and grace of Mom Tri’s crew in interacting with a great majority of guests who do not speak Thai, and many who do not speak English as a primary language. We actually had the honor to meet and talk with Mom Tri who had stopped by for a couple of days during our stay. After speaking with him and observing him interacting with his employees, we could tell he took a personal interest in his employees and that their caring attitude had been instilled from the top.

But Mom Tri’s Villa Royale isn’t just about service-it’s a “double-threat”-the property’s location and scenic beauty is spectacular: multiple buildings terraced into the natural landscape overlooking Kata Noi Beach. Our Beach Wing room (#10) overlooked the beach and was beautifully appointed in traditional Thai decor. The property is so spread out you never felt overcrowded…if you wanted friendly interaction you could find it…if you wanted seclusion with nothing but the sounds of waves, you could find that too. We’ve all had those vacations where lounge chairs are reserved by phantom sun bathers early in the morning (my personal pet peeve). Not here. There were times it felt like we were the only ones staying at Villa Royale, even though the property was sold out during our entire stay. If we wanted to relax around the pool at noon, no problem, there was plenty of space. If we wanted to relax on the beach at noon, no problem, the property pays for your lounge chair there.

The spa, breakfast, and the Kitchen restaurant were all great. The happy hour in the lounge overlooking the bay was also a welcomed end to the day. And you’re only a short walk down the hill to town for unlimited dining and drinking choices, or a 10 minute taxi ride to Patong.

All in all, we couldn't have been happier with our choice in Phuket, so much so that we’re making plans to return within the next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

561 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We spent our Honeymoon here (booked through Kuoni) from 19th - 26th April 2013.
We were lucky enough to have been upgraded from our original Royale Wing room to the stunning "Pool Suite" (no.12). A breathtaking room, secluded at the far "beach" end of the property with own pool and directly overlooking Kata Noi beach below.
Little Honeymoon "extras" like beautiful floral displays were laid on for us in the room. I imagine this is common practice by the hotel for honeymoon couples but it still helps provide a very special feeling to what is after all a very special holiday. As others have mentioned the hotel also provides daily dessert/cake treats to the rooms - and the all-important chocolates on the pillow in the evenings!
Overall the hotel is a lovely property in an excellent location. (The short walk down the hill to Kata and back up at night didn't bother us in the slightest.)
Staff were unfailingly friendly and efficient.
We ate both a dinner and a lunch at the Mom Tri's Kitchen restaurant which were complimentary as part of our stay. Food for both meals was high quality including some authentically fiery Thai dishes. If not part of your "package" eating at the restaurant will be a little expensive but we would recommend it if you want to treat yourself during your holiday, even if you are staying at a different property. Eating, or even just enjoying drinks, at the tables looking out over the bay is a memorable experience.
A word about the weather for those considering travelling in April. We were worried that by going after the main part of the season we risked a lot of cloud and thunderstorms. In fact the weather during our week was perfect - though it seems we were somewhat lucky in this as there had been a few rainy/stormy days before we arrived. There was one huge thunderstorm during our stay but as it was overnight we had the pleasure of watching the "show" out in the bay from the safety of our room. By breakfast time the rain had stopped and the sun was out again. Our experience was that April is a great time to go - weather still good, and resorts a little quieter.

Room Tip: We stayed in the stunning Pool Suite (no 12). Huge room, private location in the property makes you...
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We came to Mom Tri's for the first time, eager for a relaxing weekend after a busy three weeks of work in Singapore.

We arrived late at night, travel-weary and ready to relax. From the moment we walked in, we felt welcomed. The staff are gracious, warm, and friendly. And there is a quiet elegance and charm throughout the property.

When we arrived, they offered us cool eucalyptus-scented towels to freshen us. Check-in took only minutes, and we were shown to our room. Ours was #40, with a spacious king bed, and a beautiful balcony overlooking the sea. The room was adorned with fragrant flowers. There was a bottle of wine, and a simple snack set up for us.

Breakfast in Mom Tri's kitchen offered wonderful fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order, homemade breads, sausages, bacon, pancakes, and cereals. Plus, delicately sweet smoked salmon, and broiled tomatoes lightly herbed (my favorites every morning).

The first day was rainy, so we sat on our balcony and read. Is there a pleasure greater than sitting with the person you love, and a good book on a warm rainy day?

The rain let up by evening, and we had cocktails at the seaside lounge. There was an excellent bass, guitar, and tenor sax trio playing jazz standards flawlessly. They played softly enough that we could hear the waves against the beach.

We lingered during a dinner of fresh fish and crisp salads. A warm breeze drifting through open windows.

The second day was bright and sunny. Perfect breakfast again, and a walk into town for a few gifts. Then we headed to the beach. Kata Noi beach is open and uncrowded. The sea was quite warm, but still refreshing.

We'll definitely come back to Mom Tri's on our next trip to Asia.

Room Tip: #40 has a beautiful balcony overlooking the sea
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

A wonderful start to our married life at Mom Tri! Hotel is beyond excellent. The rooms are large and well equipped, we stayed in suite 25 which had an amazing view of the beach! The staff are warm and try their best to help you out at all times! The real differntiating factor for the hotel are are small touches, our favorite was the "daily taste", which is a small tea cake/snack that is delivered to your room every afternoon, this was a fanastic surprise to look forward to! We loved the peace and tranquility that we experianced at the hotel, it was our little oasis in the hussle and bustle of Phuket!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My parents were visiting from Italy for my birthday, so I thought to spend my birthday weekend with them and my wife in Phuket. Naturally I wanted to avoid anything sleezy and just wanted a nice place right on the beach. After much research, we picked Mom Tri's Villa Royale and I am so happy we did.
Everything was perfect, from the airport pick-up to welcome drink, the rooms and the beach just a few steps away. The service was impeccable and staff very friendly. On my birthday even the housekeeping staff wished me happy birthday!
Mom Tri is the former summer residence of a very popular architect the place is named after. He still goes to the resort for his own holidays. Well, as the former villa belonging to one of most famous Thai architects you can imagine. The hotel is designed in charming Thai style, our suites are very spacious, with a private terrace overlooking the ocean and the beach that is just a few steps away. I won't spend much time describing the hotel, just look at the pictures I am attaching. Superb.
The resort is at one end of Kata Noi, the quiet side of Kata. Beach chairs and towels are provided for free, which I understand is not always the case in Phuket. At night we used to walk 5 mins to Kata beach (the busy side) and have dinner at Kata Mama grill, cheap, fresh, seafood and excellent thai food.
Besides the place being stunning, the service was excellent and very attentive. All our needs were catered for, every day we had fresh fruits, water and even a bottle of wine in the suite. For my birthday they even delivered a small cake with Happy Birthday wishes. We stayed in the Beach Wing Suite, which I highly recommend. We did not see the rooms on the other side, but there was some renovation going on.
The restaurant is one of the best in Phuket, serving Thai delicacies with a view over the Andaman Sea. Our package included one dinner, which we took for my birthday. Excellent selection and quality.
Overall one of our favorite places so far, we will certainly go back if we return to Phuket. Perfect for discerning travelers who like luxury mixed with Thai charm.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beach Wing Suites and would highly recommend them.
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Thiis was I think our 7th or 8th stay at this hotel and without doubt our favourite place to go. This time we had friends with us and the four of us had a fantastic stay. Service cannot be faulted, rooms beautiful and comfortable and the whole week was a pleasure. A hidden gem.

Room Tip: It is not rally a hotel suitable for kids but somethimes they are there. If you prefer kid free as...
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I came here for a week to get away from an extremely distressing timeat home. My friend comes here regularly but I had never been. From the moment I arrived I felt like royalty. All the staff were attentive, smiling and eager to please with great humour. I have never felt so looked after and they were in no way intrusive.
I have never felt such a huge amount stress from home disappear in just moments of being here.
All the villas are a distance apart so you really hear anyone.

Sme of the staff don't speak English and part of me thinks why should they. It's we that should try to speak Thai. Nevertheless they will always get someone who can speak. But I always try a Sawatdee ka/krup- hello to female/male and Kob khun krup or Kob khun ka for a kind of thank you. Try a little and it goes down well.

Everyone from breakfast to Dinner were delightful. A smile and nodding forward is a sign of respect. - I kept forgetting but no offence was taken.

I would suggest if you do ever feel dissatisfied be polite about it. The Thais don't respond well to aggression or raised angry, voices and this will be deemed offensive.

The food at breakfast is well made and you can choose your favourite fresh juice. Mines carrots and ginger. The cocktails especially at happy hour (half price) are divine especially at sundown.

We came late around 11 pm. The picked up up at the airport and they had complimentary food and drinks waiting for us as the kitchen had closed. Such a lovely thought.

The rooms are beautiful - the decor very Thai and i personally love That. I hope these aren't changed if they have any improvements made.

I'm writing this on my last day. I really don't want to leave such paradise. I'm lying by the infinity pool. Ah bliss.

There is two beaches nearby. The crowded Kata yai and the the quieter Kata noi. Both are good for many reasons. My friend and eye had many night caps in the pool and I think it was closed but instead of making a fuss, member of staff came down and sat quietly in a corner while we chatted and had our fun. That's service for you.

The food is delicious and due to the package we selected with two dinners and two massages each we took great advantage of this. The wine list is really something - mind you so Is the cost.

The spa is not pretentious but very calming. Now I'm one for high expectations and this delivered.

Last year I went to many hotels including the Ratcha and Naka island. Personally despite having an incredible fondness for Naka Island, Mom Tri's villa Royale probably pips it to the post as it has a bustling life down the street, and is much more of a boutique feel to it.

If available and not picking people up from the airport they will shuttle you down to anywhere in kata for no charge, which is useful on a hot humid day. Great service!

I can imagine all rooms are of just as spectacular as the others.

Do not hesitate to stay here. You won't be disappointed. I hope to come back soon and for longer.

Mom Tri's you are a all a credit to Thailand.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Mom Tri's Villa Royale? Share your experiences!