This is a hard review to write because the facilities at the Boathouse were good, the room was nicely decorated and extremely clean if a little small but the overall experience was a little disappointing.
Some people have described this as a boutique hotel; I would describe it as an upmarket B&B or a restaurant with rooms it just didn't quite make it as the five star resort it is trying to be.
The plus point for this hotel is that it is nicely situated right on the beach but on the downside the front of the hotel is directly on a pinch point of a busy road with no pavement.
The Rekata beach club is nice but was empty whilst we were there (not helped by it being low season and bad weather) but I think the high prices, slightly avant garde music and the fact that it looked a little intimidating from the road may not be helping to draw people in.
The pool is very small, pretty to look at but not really large enough for swimming.
Some others have mentioned the welcome from the general manager and other staff which we felt was a little over the top. Whilst I understand that management want to ensure that guests feel that they are being looked after, when you first arrive I personally prefer a friendly but quick and efficient check in - I guess this is one thing that is hard to get right for everybody.
We didn't use the restaurant as it is very expensive, as were the bar prices. I knew this when we booked and was not that bothered about eating in the restaurant as I was more interested in the hotel but the fact that it is so high end meant that there were very few diners and people in the bar which meant there was never any atmosphere ( again this could be because it was low season).
Overall the style and atmosphere of this hotel was not for us but if you enjoy small, quiet hotels this may be just the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boathouse Phuket, Thailand, has been an architectural and culinary landmark on Kata Beach since 1989. A favorite with discerning visitors, it appears on numerous lists of the world’s best small hotels. The Boathouse Wine & Grill has been distinguished with Wine Spectator Awards since 1995 and has been credited with the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2006. New additions to the property include extended family suites, a 2-bedroom beachfront Penthouse suite and a rooftop Sunset Lounge. A beach club and spa and a chic boutique shop with a gourmet café. The fantastic beach location, personal friendly service, intimate atmosphere and stylish gourmet restaurant with one of the best wine cellars in Thailand make it the ideal location for beach, food and wine buffs. Weekend Thai cooking workshops from 10 am - 1 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, BookingOdigeoWL, HotelTravel.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Boathouse by Montara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Boathouse Hotel Kata Beach
- Mom Tris Boathouse Kata
- Mom Tris Boathouse Hotel Kata
- Boathouse By Montara Phuket/Kata Beach